• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

Holden getting fired up.
That shot at the security chief. And we did ofcourse see her meeting with him before everything went down too...

Holy shit...damn...

Had no idea they were doing that cause SyFy doesn't air it. The full intro has only popped up twice during the SyFy broadcast, once last season and again at the start of this season. Every other episode just has a short 4 second title screen.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing it in the future. Hopefully on the blu-ray?

Roughly how far into the books is the show?

You can spoil the answer if that would be best. I'm curious because I want to start watching . . . but I also kinda just want to pick up the next book I haven't read.

This new guy's gonna be the next key, and he's got some serious beef.

This dude is a piece of shit. Yup, and just got that security guy killed.
Damn, after she shot the first one I'm surprised she didn't surprise me and just shoot the other two.

She's gonna kill your ass later man, probably even if it's the last thing she does.

I almost thought he said "Famous" instead of Amos.
That escalated quickly!

"Cause if he we do, who's gonna fly the ship?" LOL

Good question Alex, what did happen to Amos.

It's been great.

Great, this bastard doesn't even care if he and everyone on the station die.
Let's do this Amos!

OH SHIT! She actually did do it! DAMN! YES. So good.

Spl1nter

Good episode. A lot of differences from the books but it was done well. Only scene that was off was the split of Johnson and Holden. Made perfect sense in the books but here it just felt odd and unjustified.

Good episode. A lot of differences from the books but it was done well. Only scene that was off was the split of Johnson and Holden. Made perfect sense in the books but here it just felt odd and unjustified.

Yeah. I haven't read the books so I thought it felt quite odd.

The rest was really good.

jerry113

Banned
Dude playing Dawes is great.

Yes he sells the Belter accent like someone who's been talking like that for his whole life.

This was a slower episode and more setting of the stage. But it'll probably pick up again. It definitely feels like a new season is starting 5 episodes into the second season.

nOoblet16

I really like the little touches they put in this show. Like when Amos went outside the force changed from centrifugal to centripetal and he had to struggle to get invert himseld and reach the surface and the sparks were flying upwards.

I didn't quite get it but what was the reason for Holden and Johnson having that split? Why wouldn't Holden be welcome in Tycho if he leaves ?

Selner

I didn't quite get it but what was the reason for Holden and Johnson having that split? Why wouldn't Holden be welcome in Tycho if he leaves ?

Difference of opinion regarding the proto molecule. Holden wants to destroy anything and everyone associated with it. Fred wants to keep it and use it in some fashion.

Basically, they know there's proto molecule stuff on Ganymede. Fred wants Holden to bring it to Tycho. Holden said no, so Fred said not to come back.

- Onion A|V Club review
- Promo for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)
- Podcast for this week
This episode truly lives up to its name, because pretty much everything does or is close to blowing up. We meet Prax, a father from Ganymede who loses his daughter and ends up a refugee, only to suffer another gut-wrenching loss moments later. Things don't get much better for him, the Roci crew, or the OPA back on Tycho station. Actor Cara Gee, aka Drummer, joins us to talk about the craziness that ensues, what it's like to go from fan to cast member, and who's better at space handball.
- Inside The Expanse: Ep 8

DevilDog

This show in general is so depressing. So much misery, jeez.

The lack of colors doesn't help. That's space for you. I would be like that XO in the first episode.

Backlogger

It's been a while but this is another one of those things that I think was explained better or more understandable in the books. Just the issue of only having so many episodes per minute in TV you sometimes have to keep the dialogue brief.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Another outstanding episode.

Jarred Harris knocked it out of the park again. Can't remember the last time I heard a real-world politician speak with such conviction and charisma.

Loved the bit about who will fly the ship. Not only is it a foregone conclusion that he'll win, not having a pilot is a more important issue than critically wounding/killing a crewmate, LOL.

DevilDog

Jarred Harris knocked it out of the park again. Can't remember the last time I heard a real-world politician speak with such conviction and charisma.

Loved the bit about who will fly the ship. Not only is it a foregone conclusion that he'll win, not having a pilot is a more important issue than critically wounding/killing a crewmate, LOL.

He was in Sherlock Holmes 2. Fantastic performance there, plus it bounced off of Robert Jr.

Yes he sells the Belter accent like someone who's been talking like that for his whole life.

This was a slower episode and more setting of the stage. But it'll probably pick up again. It definitely feels like a new season is starting 5 episodes into the second season.

Yeah he sounds the most natural of guys speaking in the belter tongue.

Also most shows the trope of similar characters makes you wonder "why would anyone follow that dude." Dawes is both convincing and legitimately inspiring when he speaks. Both in the OPA summit and his message to Johnson you can see why Belters would follow him blindly.

Alex: "What happened to you?"

Remember when Amos asked if they've ever talked to a paedophile before he then gave a detailed understanding of the psychology of one? Amos has seen and been through some shit. Which is why it makes me roll my eyes when Earthers are thought of as soft by Martians.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14951490/the-expanse-renewed-third-season-syfy

3rd season confirmed!

EDIT: beaten, of course, but hey, good news is worth repeating :)

awesome!!! Another great episode, so many small fantastic scenes. I was really expecting more of a Ganymede scene when Mei shows up and waves to the Martian marines, its too bad the budget couldn't support filming that whole fight as a single scene this season (I assume, maybe we'll get it near the end?).

Fred just seems in such a precarious position right now - Dawes has stolen shit right out from under him, a BUNCH of people just mutiny'd against him and almost succeeded, Holden just left and was told to never come back... poor Fred :(

sammex

yeah season 3!

tumblr_ol55amL9wD1qiaxzfo2_400.gif
tumblr_ol55amL9wD1qiaxzfo3_400.gif

tumblr_ol55amL9wD1qiaxzfo4_400.gif
tumblr_ol55amL9wD1qiaxzfo5_400.gif

Dizzy-4U

Finished the last episode. I like the new guy, hope they don't kill him too soon (I haven't read the books, don't tell me!).

The first half was pretty emotional, caught me off guard.

Great news about the renewal! Glad to hear they'll be back for at least one more season.

The podcast this week is worth a listen if only for their discussion of what happens when you die in a vacuum. Scary stuff. Also, Cara Gee (Drummer) is the guest this week.

EDIT: They note in the podcast that most of what we know about people being in a vacuum is known because of a failed spacesuit test from the 60's. Youtube vid on it here.
The video above shows the moments when Jim le Blanc was subjected to a space-like vacuum in a NASA testing chamber in 1965. Interestingly, although an accident, it's one of the only ‘experiments' into how a human would cope in such conditions, and thus our modern knowledge of the effects rely upon this incident.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nice little easter egg this episode, they called the refugee ship Jefferson Mays, which is the name of The Expanse's audiobook narrator. Nice touch.

El Daniel

I'm happy that the head of security is still alive. Really thought she would be a goner this episode. I like her. Hope we haven't seen the last of her.

Nice to see renewal. S2 has been nonstop excitement and quality episodes. Gotta say that scene in the latest were those people got "spaced" was rather horrifying. Didn't think they needed to dramatically show the suffocating bodies out there afterwards but it was a memorable scene.

jelly

Why did some of the
refugees get spaced, I didn't quite catch what the trafficker said with his accent, was it just too high a number to depart at Tycho Station with them?
?

Lorcain

I just finished watching season 1 on Amazon Prime and loved it. This is the best sci fi I've seen in a long, long time. Unfortunately, I can't find season 2 episodes 1-3 anywhere. My xfinity service has episodes 4-8, same with the offical SyFy site.

Zoe

Why did some of the
refugees get spaced, I didn't quite catch what the trafficker said with his accent, was it just too high a number to depart at Tycho Station with them?
?

Belters making a stand against the Inners

Top Bottom