• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Game of the Year 2023 Nominees

What game do you think will win Game of The year 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Very solid games, but Mario is just a slightly lamer version of what Rayman Origins/Legends did 10 years ago
Not really. Rayman Origins doesn't have level design that is as open. It flows better sure but Mario wonder's got more puzzles and gameplay, and in general there are more interactive elements in Mario. I haven't played Legends in a while but that was REALLY good.

I don't know how you could call it slightly lamer, really.

It’s sad that that‘s enough for a nominee.
What does SM2 do that innovates the medium, or even stands out?
If Mario shouldn’t have been there, SM2 shouldn’t be there by the same metric.
The bias and politics on display are crystal clear, on every front.
Boombox Shut Up GIF

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
That RPG category is a disgrace, considering so many great RPGs released in 2023.

Star Ocean 2 Remake
Atelier Ryza 3
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
Octopath Traveler II
Trails to Azure
Trails Into Reverie
Mario RPG Remake
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails
Front Mission 2 Remake
Trinity Trigger
Atelier Marie Remake
Rhapsody Marl Kingdom Chronicles
Baten Kaitos I & 2 Remaster
Dragon Quest The Adventures of Dai
Silent Hope
Dragon Quest Monsters 3

Even if remakes and remasters aren't allowed, there's still enough here that is better than their selections.

Mario RPG hasnt released

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Neither has Dragon Quest Monsters 3 (Dec 1st) - I wasn't sure what the cutoff date was.
Mario RPG is gonna be AMAZING but its 1:1 remake of the existing game and I also dont agree with RE4R in GOTY category even tho I fucking LOVED the game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Is this a joke? I played both of those neither one of those had major performance issues.

Gimme a fucking break trying to compare those to Jedi Survivor.
TOTK ran at like 15-20 fps most of the time and Alan Wake 2 had ridiculous system requirements.... they're still up there.

Jedi Survivor deserves a spot, if the original game is anything to go by it seems like a great sequel to what was already a great action platformer.

Completely ignoring Hogwarts Legacy is disrespectful to the developers and the fans! Exploring Hogwarts and taking in all the crazy amounts of intricate detail, throughout the world completely immersed me. I'm biased though as I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, but it's definitely my game of the year.

oBzorNB.gif

Svejk

Oh wow. I expected everyone to do a reach-around for TOTK. I hope BG3 does win simply to shut those people up. lololol

Personally, mine is RE4, but we all know it won't win.

phant0m

It's BG3, the only other real contender is TOTK.

If expansions/overhauls counted, CP2077/Phantom Liberty is also worthy of the conversation. It's the best WRPG on the market right now.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d be very surprised if BG3 doesn’t win this. The only game I could see compete with it is Zelda, and now that we have Mario in the mix as well the Nintendo votes will be split between them.

I don't think Starfield was good enough to make the list... But...

I'd replace either RE4 or Spider-Man 2 with Hogwarts. I don't think either of those games are at the level required to be in this conversation.

Completely ignoring Hogwarts Legacy is disrespectful to the developers and the fans! Exploring Hogwarts and taking in all the crazy amounts of intricate detail, throughout the world completely immersed me. I'm biased though as I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, but it's definitely my game of the year.
The developers right now:
Woody Harrelson Crying GIF

(The game did gangbuster sales and is still selling.)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Almost exclusively PlayStation VR2 games for the VR / AR nominees (why even add the AR part then, none of them are). That's pure bullshit (though most of the games are solid to good), like most of the gaming press VR coverage is of course, as if it's not backed by Zuck or Sony it doesn't exist🤷‍♂️

Vertigo 2 at least should be on the list, though there are many more deserving than a puzzle game with OPTIONAL, basic VR, a token fps roguelite and a climbing game with some combat, as great as they are for what they are. Maybe its PS VR2 port will be nominated in 24 but it's coming this year.

As above, the PS stan outlet is just looking at this backwards. The coward didn't even reply to me, not that I fished for a reply, I just pointed out the obvious more politely without the BS stuff, but he just "liked" the reply of an idjit telling me lack of exposure is not a problem for games but fiction🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom