• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GOAT Month - November 2004

mzdi5sra6xy71.jpg

This was one month alone in what was considered a fantastic year for games.

Lord Gaben also came down from the heavens to grace us, with the release of Steam, in November 2004.

ps4pro-gabe-newell.jpg

November 2004, the GOAT month.

congrats-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Counter point: It can't be the GOAT month if it's not the month that Final Fantasy 7 released.
Although, I had no idea that all that released in a single month. Imagine having to budget that month lol.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No lies detected.

I still play Counter Strike: Source to this day. Unbelievable that it still has a strong player base almost 20 years after release.

Reactions: KU_
No lies detected.

I still play Counter Strike: Source to this day. Unbelievable that it still has a strong player base almost 20 years after release.
The mod support or CS Source is my favorite part, pretty much unlimited content and still pretty active player wise.

Thought steam was older. My steam account is from May 2004. Those early years I could buy all games in dollars saving a fair chunk with the strong euro we had back then.

Back when publishers used to stack all of their games in one to two months and leave the summer and spring seasons almost completely dry. It’s honestly a wonder that none of these games were buried because of this, but I’m sure other games that weren’t listed were buried.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Spider-Man 2 came out in the Summer when the movie came out. I remember buying it around the same time.

You're right. Just looked it up and it was just the DS version that game out in November 2004 in North America. Main versions for consoles were released in the summer.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
You're right. Just looked it up and it was just the DS version that game out in November 2004 in North America. Main versions for consoles were released in the summer.
I played the game first and it ruined the movie 😂

The Movie was additionally ruined by a little kid who sat looking back at me for the length of the movie. Still a great movie in spite of the outside variables.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Minish Cap still holds up incredibly well

Any challengers to this claim?
November 2007 - COD 4, Crysis, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Super Mario Galaxy, Rockband, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, UT3, Timeshift, Gears of War PC (with additional chapters). I'm sure I forget some.
August, September and October were also packed.

Reactions: Gp1

Xyphie

Thought steam was older. My steam account is from May 2004. Those early years I could buy all games in dollars saving a fair chunk with the strong euro we had back then.

htE305P.jpeg

It's older. My account should be within days of it launching as I used to play CS1.6 alot back then.

bender

What time is it?
July 19, 2004 here. What a piece a shit Steam was back then. We've come a long way, baby.

Also, Jak 3 and Killzone shouldn't be on the OP's list. :messenger_poop:

July 19, 2004 here. What a piece a shit Steam was back then. We've come a long way, baby.

Also, Jak 3 and Killzone shouldn't be on the OP's list. :messenger_poop:
How was Steam a PoS back then?

It worked fine...

There's a reason why it remained the #1 store front despite competitors coming in to take ite market share.

bender

What time is it?
How was Steam a PoS back then?

It worked fine...

There's a reason why it remained the #1 store front despite competitors coming in to take ite market share.

It was one of the first mover and continued (continues) to improve which is why it has market share. The Half Life 2 launch was a mess, particularly for physical owners. I think people often forget how barren the offering was because of how feature rich it is today.

It was one of the first mover and continued (continues) to improve which is why it has market share. The Half Life 2 launch was a mess, particularly for physical owners. I think people often forget how barren the offering was because of how feature rich it is today.
I remember Steam vividly, it's definitely more feature rich today.

But, key features such as friends lists, being able to join friends games in progress, add players, and buy games were all their from that initial period.

Steam was basically the Xbox Live of PC in the mid 2000s.

bender

What time is it?
I remember Steam vividly, it's definitely more feature rich today.

But, key features such as friends lists, being able to join friends games in progress, add players, and buy games were all their from that initial period.

Steam was basically the Xbox Live of PC in the mid 2000s.

HL2 launch was very messy which is par for the course for that games history.

I have to admit, it's hard to argue against that not being the GOAT month. As others have mentioned, 2007 is the only one that could compete

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wasn’t Steam introduced with Half Life 2? I’m kinda surprised myself right now because I seem to habe made my account on Feb 2004, longer before HL2 release. :messenger_open_mouth:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
November 2001 releases

Ace Combat 4
Burnout 2
Dragon Warrior VII
Project Gotham
Golden Sun
Gradius Advance
Metal Gear Solid 2
Dead or Alive 3
Halo
Luigi’s Mansion
Super Monkeyball
WWF Smackdown Just Bring It
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Super Smash Bros Melee
Gothic
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2
Frequency

Crazy that this was one month.

November 2001 releases

Ace Combat 4
Burnout 2
Dragon Warrior VII
Project Gotham
Golden Sun
Gradius Advance
Metal Gear Solid 2
Dead or Alive 3
Halo
Luigi’s Mansion
Super Monkeyball
WWF Smackdown Just Bring It
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Super Smash Bros Melee
Gothic
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2
Frequency

Crazy that this was one month.
Yup, that was definitely a strong year too.

Havoc2049

That Halo 2 hype was off the charts. There must of been like 300 people in line at my local Electronics Boutique in the suburbs and there was some guy in a Mustang GT doing donuts, while everyone was waiting in line at the midnight launch. Good times!

That Halo 2 hype was off the charts. There must of been like 300 people in line at my local Electronics Boutique in the suburbs and there was some guy in a Mustang GT doing donuts, while everyone was waiting in line at the midnight launch. Good times!

EmZwpxlXYAEg3D9.jpg

From a time of where the suits had passion, and actually gamed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom