• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Debate: Torta, or Burrito?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
First off, if you haven't tried a few of each, just keep reading and looking at the pics. Don't burst in here with your small town assumptions, or your big city superiority.

Burrito: Large flour tortilla filled with Mexican meats (all kinds, also fish/seafood frequently), sauces, vegetables and yes, often rice. If you're from San Diego don't mess this up with fries talk. That's delicious and acceptable, but accept that it's a outlier and just include it in your thinking. DON'T DERAIL.

arXuLpP.jpg

Torta: Soft roll filled with Mexican meats (all kinds, also fish/seafood occasionally) and lettuce and tomatoes and jalapenos and usually an aioli/mayo sauce. But never rice. Unless mutant offspring. DON'T DERAIL.

FdKzquO.jpg

Both are amazing but over the years, I have to give it to Tortas. I think the balance of Jalapenos, mayo and the frequency of Chorizo means it's ironically more exotic to me than a burrito, but also more zesty and easier to eat. Which I value over a Burrito's sheer mass.

Don't even bring your Taco talk in here. It's neither here nor there.

TissueBox

Yeah I always love a nice torta. For me it goes torta, taco, then burrito...but then again its being pretty much a sandwich pro'lly helps in that regard. ^^'

Don't even bring your Taco talk in here. It's neither here nor there.

:-o Cease and desist!!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like tortas, I consider burritos tex-mex.

That may or may not be accurate but that's just how it is in my mind.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Both are relatively new "North American" variants on traditional Mexican cuisine. Neither has any great claim to authenticity other than ALL the components of a burrito can be mezo-American.

Burrito, but mojado (wet) style -- sauce poured over, cheese on, put in a broiler for 30 secs). All the inside burrito goodness mixed with more melted cheese and more sauce for a ooey, gooey flavor explosion in every bite. Eat with knife and fork.

kjHkt5c.jpg

Chris R

I'm picking torta every single time it's on the menu with a burrito.

Torta Ahogada is my favorite Mexican dish.

I prefer Burrito's but Tortas are on point. When I was in Mexico last year I had a torta ahogada that I'm pretty sure singed my throat outside of a soccer game, but it was delicious.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Both are relatively new "North American" variants on traditional Mexican cuisine. Neither has any great claim to authenticity other than ALL the components of a burrito can be mezo-American.

My local mexican deli has a torta menu longer than their taco menu and huaraches menu (which is really just a retread of their taco menu) combined so I just assumed it featured prominently in their home cuisine.

Their burrito menu, on the other hand, occupies a footnote at the bottom of their flier along with "Sincronizadas (American Quessadillas)"

Dai101

Banned
Torta is an actual Mexican dish, so Torta.

Tortas are superior, burritos are ok though.

Tortas for sure.

Torta for sure

Tacos > Tortas > Sope > Burrito.

The true path.

I'm picking torta every single time it's on the menu with a burrito.

Torta Ahogada is my favorite Mexican dish.

Tortas all day. Con su jamoncito y queso fresco 😍😍😍😍😍

Torta is the only way.

Mis homies.

I need to go to CD MX. i mean..

F0F.jpg

GOD DAMN

v1lla21

My favorite simple torta to make contains mayonesa con limón, lechuga, cebolla, salchicha, chiles en vinagre, queso fresco, tomate, poco de aguacate, queso de puerco, y jamón de pavo. Add as much salsa as you want. Sometimes I like to add bacon.

Weetrick

Damn I didn't think everyone would disagree with me. Maybe it's a California thing? Burritos are everywhere here. I love tortas, but I clearly need to eat more of them.

Irnbru

OK

That sauce.... so fucking good. Nothing I've made at home ever comes close to what the ahogada sauce is :(

Yeah, torta ahogada in Guadalajara rein above all and makes your wet burritos look like soggy weak nastiness.

PS Stinkles, they sell California Burritos with fries in Renton lol :p

i'ma go with the 'wet' burrito. taking a bite and that sauce just bursting in your mouth with flavor :3

also pls do not ruin your dishes with avocado and/or tomatoes ty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom