• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I am a massive fan of the original trilogy. I own like 3 different versions of the movies on DVD and blu ray. I went to the TTT world premiere at the Ziegfeld in NYC. I adore these movies. The Hobbit is mediocre in my opinion. It's long, it plods along, the action doesn't excite, there is very little drama. The ending is cheesy. Even Gandalf feels off.
While I disagree that the film doesnt excite I will concede to you that Gandalf does feel off. Perhaps my only real criticism of the film, other than the obvious difficulties of giving some of the dwarves screen time, is that I really dont think Mckellen brought his best work to this film. His delivery is good, but not great, perhaps all the green screens really took their tole on him :[.

Of course when you think of Mckellen in the fellowship, its a very high bar for even himself to contend with.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
While I disagree that the film doesnt excite I will concede to you that Gandalf does feel off. Perhaps my only real criticism of the film, other than the obvious difficulties of giving some of the dwarves screen time, is that I really dont think Mckellen brought his best work to this film. His delivery is good, but not great, perhaps all the green screens really took their tole on him :[.

Of course when you think of Mckellen in the fellowship, its a very high bar for even himself to contend with.
Getting back into character 10 years later is difficult even for an actor as accomplished as Sir Ian. Not to mention the fact that he has been dealing with prostate cancer for a while now, something that wasn't burdening him during the filming of The Lord of the Rings.

Ixion

He just seemed older and more tired, which makes sense, since Ian McKellen is older and probably more tired (especially since he has cancer).

However, I think he got better as the film went on.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;52036746 said:
Getting back into character 10 years later is difficult even for an actor as accomplished as Sir Ian. Not to mention the fact that he has been dealing with prostate cancer for a while now, something that wasn't burdening him during the filming of The Lord of the Rings.

Indeed, its not a bad performance by any measure, but when the standards are so high, to me at least, it was noticeably not his best work. One character that really stood out for me as both well written and well acted was Balin, such a great screen presence, both serious and capable of humour. Truly the stand out Dwarf of the film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Indeed, its not a bad performance by any measure, but when the standards are so high, to me at least, it was noticeably not his best work. One character that really stood out for me as both well written and well acted was Balin, such a great screen presence, both serious and capable of humour. Truly the stand out Dwarf of the film.
Truly. He's certainly the conscience of party.

Bonding with his character over this trilogy will make his fate in Moria all the more sadder though.

Mr Cola

Edmond Dantès;52038021 said:

Bonding with his character over this trilogy will make his fate in Moria all the more sadder though.

Indeed :[

Does make me wonder how future generations will percieve moments like that if they watch the trilogy from hobbit to lotr rather than the other way around. For one thing they will get to know Gandalf so well as Gandalf the Grey that his falling will mean that much more.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Indeed :[

Does make me wonder how future generations will percieve moments like that if they watch the trilogy from hobbit to lotr rather than the other way around. For one thing they will get to know Gandalf so well as Gandalf the Grey that his falling will mean that much more.
It's probably for the best that the youngepr generation have more time with Gandalf the Grey. As mighty, inspiring and angelic as Gandalf the White is, he just doesn't resonate as much with people as the grumpy, grey wizard.

Edmond Dantès;52039062 said:
It's probably for the best that the youngepr generation have more time with Gandalf the Grey. As mighty, inspiring and angelic as Gandalf the White is, he just doesn't resonate as much with people as the grumpy, grey wizard.

But the new Gandalf was more grumpy than the old one!

Aww man, I missed 10,000!! So many replies, wow :)

Edmond Dantès;52038021 said:

Will? Yeah... too late :(

It immediately shines a different light on those scenes (no pun intended); he has a face now, from the very beginning of the movie (in Erabor, even!). And we get to know him so quickly, being Mr. Lovable Storyteller. It really does put a solid & depressing link between the trilogies... bleh. I also heard that (from the same part)
the dwarf holding the book that Gandalf reads about the drums in the deep is Ori
, but I don't know if that's a fabrication of the fan-base or not.

I've fallen so hard for this movie that I worry how it's gonna be with two more still coming! I should just... cut my losses and stick with the silly happy-ish psudo-ending :S

I also loved it; it added a lot of depth ("I am there") to the environment which is a key part of PJ's Middle Earth. I also had a much easier time following the action in relation to which dwarf was where, doing what, and also where me as a viewer is... watching from? instead of it just being a blurry mess which usually tunes me out of a massive amount of action in any movie. (Good lord that is an awful sentence.)

I can, however, see where people would be turned off by the hyper-realism that shines through with the extra frames. It's only available with 3D (which a lot of people still have issues with) and also the fact that it is a fucking long movie, which makes it more than a movie (for some) and more like a commitment. So instead of sitting down and watching, say, ParaNorman in 3D for an hour and a half, it's more than double the length alone, plus HFR. I also agree that there is a generational element to it, though probably not quite as constricted as was stated in the article: my friends (mid-30s) totally loved the HFR, and my dad and his ladyfriend, who're 65 & 56 (?), liked the non-HFR 3D well enough. Of course, it all becomes subjective at some point, but I can totally understand why a fair amount of people didn't find it enjoyable (unfortunately).

Yeah, I can understand it too. By the end of the film my eyes certainly felt tired, for instance, though I still loved it. I also did enjoy how clear everything was. I think the moment it really hit me as "holy cow this is amazing" was during the
flashback Azog fight at Moria
(are we still spoiler-tagging stuff?) simply because everything was so vivid and clear. Usually huge battle scenes turn into mush and are blurry as heck, but this time you could see everything -- every sword being swung, every axe being leveled at somebody, and you saw every frame of it during the swing etc. It was incredible.

JB1981

I'm genuinely curious. What parts of the film did you find exciting?

Mr Cola

I'm genuinely curious. What parts of the film did you find exciting?

The opening prologue was fantastic, easily my favourite part of the film. Im not going to say that this film was on par with TT or ROTK in regards to epic battles and set pieces, but it was well on par with Fellowship (though the end fight in the fellowship bests every scene from either of the 4 films). There was plenty of excitement to be had, from the opening scene of Erebor, to flashbacks of Thorins battles, to the Goblin Caves and the Trolls. I didnt much care for the Wargs truth be told, there was a period around that point where things began to lul somewhat, picked up when they venture into Rivendell. Although we know the outcome the riddles in the dark scene was wonderfully done as was the ending.

JB1981

Hmm .. Thought the scene with the 3 trolls was just a cute diversion and should have been included in the EE for the fans. There was never any moment where I thought the company was in any real danger. The sequence with the trolls in the cave felt like something you'd see in one of Stephen Sommers' The Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser. Jackson has got progressively more indulgent with his outlandish CG sequences with each new movie. The scene defied belief and seeing CG doubles tumble around like ping pong balls lacked the grounded sense of adventure in FOTR. I mean how many times can the the company surf on planks of wood and crash thirty stories onto rock and stone before your eyes roll into the back of your head?

Mr Cola

Hmm .. Thought the scene with the 3 trolls was just a cute diversion and should have been included in the EE for the fans. There was never any moment where I thought the company was in any real danger. The sequence with the trolls in the cave felt like something you'd see in one of Stephen Sommers' The Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser. Jackson has got progressively more indulgent with his outlandish CG sequences with each new movie. The scene defied belief and seeing CG doubles tumble around like ping pong balls lacked the grounded sense of adventure in FOTR. I mean how many times can the the company surf on planks of wood and crash thirty stories onto rock and stone before your eyes roll into the back of your head?

Well id argue its very hard to have legitimate peril when you know how most of the principle characters end up, unless you havent seen LOTR at all. His indulgence for CG ill give you, im of the belief practical trumps cg whenever possible and I was upset when they announced they were no longer going to do miniatures, because I thought they were a work of art. The CG in the film was noticeable at times, mostly around Rhadaghast, but ive never been someone who pays that much attention to it, it sort of just passes by.

I think the problem lies mostly in editing again. We know Jackson like most directors films many different takes of each scene, and so most of the scenes with Gandalf must have takes with better delivery. Also we know McKellen found it difficult to adapt to full green screen filming by himself, which undoubtedly had an impact.

Then there's the use of music/editing in general. For example there's loads of points when Gandalf speaks in Bag End where I should have had chills. Instead the music doesn't match up with what is being said, and it's disjointedness which killed the crescendo on many occasions.

Mr Cola

I think the problem lies mostly in editing again. We know Jackson like most directors films many different takes of each scene, and so most of the scenes with Gandalf must have takes with better delivery. Also we know McKellen found it difficult to adapt to full green screen filming by himself, which undoubtedly had an impact.

Then there's the use of music/editing in general. For example there's loads of points when Gandalf speaks in Bag End where I should have had chills. Instead the music doesn't match up with what is being said, and it's disjointedness which killed the crescendo on many occasions.

I thought of all the lines delivered the talk with Bilbo by the fire about adventures was the best, harked back to Gandalf and Frodo discussing the burdens of the ring in Moria. I know some people hate the golf joke but I got a laugh out of it.

Sushigod7

I thought of all the lines delivered the talk with Bilbo by the fire about adventures was the best, harked back to Gandalf and Frodo discussing the burdens of the ring in Moria. I know some people hate the golf joke but I got a laugh out of it.

I thought it was pretty funny as well, I watched today again and really I dig the movie. The first watch through I wasn't sure but after a few more times through really loving it.

Loxley

The moment where Bilbo pities Gollum decides not to kill him is a personal favorite of mine, Gollum's improved tech really shined in that scene, actually felt kind of bad for him :(

Sushigod7

The moment where Bilbo pities Gollum decides not to kill him is a personal favorite of mine, Gollum's improved tech really shined in that scene, actually felt kind of bad for him :(

Was thinking the same thing today while watching that face conveyed such emotion probably not even possible by a human in my opinion.

Sibylus

Banned
Well it sort of is since they use Serkis's face as a base. :lol
Speaking of Serkis's face, I swear they put it into the Goblin that Bilbo fights before falling into Gollum's lair. Unceasing deja vu from the very first screening.

And the placing of that fight only strengthens the weird feeling, it's like he's fighting him before he even meets him.

Yeah, I can understand it too. By the end of the film my eyes certainly felt tired, for instance, though I still loved it. I also did enjoy how clear everything was. I think the moment it really hit me as "holy cow this is amazing" was during the
flashback Azog fight at Moria
(are we still spoiler-tagging stuff?) simply because everything was so vivid and clear. Usually huge battle scenes turn into mush and are blurry as heck, but this time you could see everything -- every sword being swung, every axe being leveled at somebody, and you saw every frame of it during the swing etc. It was incredible.

Oh yeah, I hear quite a bit about how that battle was the scene where they could really tell the difference, especially with such a high number of characters in each shot. It was the troll scene for me; the dwarves climbing up and hopping around on troll shoulders, tossing weapons around and rolling through legs and stuff. So fun to watch, I love it <3

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Arguably the best scene in AUJ and certainly one of the most significant events to impact the War of the Ring.

Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tugt5ZVeRJc

Was thinking the same thing today while watching that face conveyed such emotion probably not even possible by a human in my opinion.

It's pretty cool, really, because the first time we see Gollum is with these big, orb-like eyes glowing in the darkness, clinging to the walls and he doesn't appear to be anything close to "human", even just barely humanoid. But then we see that face, and the music, and yeah. It's quite a change! I don't blame Bilbo; Gollum became distilled pity in that moment.

Edmond Dantès;52129083 said:
Arguably the best scene in AUJ and certainly one of the most significant events to impact the War of the Ring.

Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tugt5ZVeRJc

Absolutely agree. When I watched the Bluray with my kids a couple weeks ago, I told them, "That changed everything. If Gollum dies, it's entirely possible that Frodo becomes the New Lord of the Rings."

Branduil

It kind of frightens me how well I can hear that Saruman scene inside my head when looking at that pick.

"It would take thousands!"
"Tens of thousands!"
"But my lord, there is no such army!"
HAROOOOOOOOOOOOORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS etc Oh god I've seen these movies too many times I blame tnt for how they used to have a damn-near-monthly weekend of reruns.

I wonder how Wormtongue missed them when he walked in, LOL.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It is the best scene

Question though I guess the wearer could use the ring then without being seen by the Enemy?
Sauron was still regaining strength during this period (2941 of the Third age), he may have felt the One, but he would have no idea of its location in Middle-earth or who or what was using it.

Edmond, I'm not quoting your post because I really don't want to spoil myself, but I can safely say that I'm hella jealous of anyone who was able to make it to that convention :( Or the myriad of fantasy conventions that happened in NZ & AU the last few months, for that matter! It'd be easier to weather if fans weren't blabbing about how awesome they are all over the internet-o-sphere; the only solace I have is they are so far away there is no way I would've been able to attend them even if I had the means. Though I am still super jealous.

I guess I have to add Latin to my list of obscure languages to study... hehhh

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
ChristopherTolkien.jpg

ymmv

Banned
Edmond Dantès;52240545 said:

Hot off the press:

After the success of the ”Lord of the Rings” trilogy and the first installment of the “Hobbit” series fans were continuously debating if New Zealand director Peter Jackson were going to make a film version of “The Silmarillion”. Until now this topic was under a big question mark and not just because it is a book with an entirely different narrative structure. The main issue was the situation with the copyrights: as opposed to “The Hobbit” and “LOTR” the rights to “Silmarillion” are with Tolkien Estate and its head, Christopher Tolkien, son and literary heir to the Professor. Christopher Tolkien was known to be very reserved about movie versions of his father’s works. A stalemate – until now.

Today an announcement was made which is going to give fans another chance to dive into the world of Middle-Earth on the big screen. Peter Jackson has struck a deal with Christopher Tolkien and will be directing “The Silmarillion”!

The most interesting aspect in this matter is of course Christopher Tolkien’s motivation. The 88-year old son of John R. R. Tolkien who is living in France, was in fact blaming the “Lord of the Rings” film adaptation last year in an interview for its bad influence on the audience. Why did he change his mind? The reason was “The Hobbit” by Peter Jackson which opened this winter. Throughout the Net community an interesting phenomenon occured: many fans of Peter Jackson’s LOTR trilogy didn’t like the “Hobbit” movie. On the other hand, many purists who used to loathe PJ’s LOTR, were quite positive about “The Hobbit”. This phenomenon seems to be at work with Christopher as well. In his last interview to the French newspaper “Le Monde” he was unexpectedly full of praise for Peter Jackson’s “Hobbit”:

- I already told that Peter Jackson eviscerated the [LOTR] book by turning it into an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25. But it is quite different with “The Hobbit”. This book was conceived by my father as a children’s book from the beginning. And to my great astonishment, the director made something deeply poetical and deep out of it. It is considerably closer to the spirit of Middle-Earth depicted in “The Silmarillion” and “The Lost Tales”, than the original “Hobbit”.

Christopher Tolkien described more precisely what he liked about “The Hobbit”.

- The thing of utmost importance to me was to prevent omissions from the original text. That was my major objection to “The Lord of the Rings” film. On “The Hobbit”, the script writers chose a different path: they extended it with the help of the materials from LOTR “Appendices”. This is a clear sign of the dedication of the filmmakers in studying the works of my father as well as of the seriousness of their approach. […] But the main reason was the depiction of the Elves from Mirkwood and from Rivendell. In comparison with the faulted “Lord of the Rings” this is an entirely different matter. For the first time I have seen real Middle-Earth elves, the ones my father was writing about.

After this interview things went surprisingly fast. A few weeks after its publication Peter Jackson visited Christopher Tolkien in his estate in South France and they started first negotiations. The exact details remained secret until this morning, when Warner Bros. released the following press release.

PETER JACKSON ANNOUNCED TO DIRECT SILMARILLION
A MIDDLE-EARTH PREQUEL TRILOGY WILL OPEN 2015-2018

After successul negitiations between Peter Jackson (Wingnut Films) and Christopher Tolkien (Tolkien Estate) the “Silmarillion” film trilogy was greenlit. Pre-production work on it is scheduled to be started immediately after the premiere of “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”. The production companies will be Warner Bros., New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer.

The multiple Academy Award winning New Zealand director PETER JACKSON has effected an exclusive deal with Tolkien Estate about J.R.R. Tolkien’s book “The Silmarillion” which was released posthumously. The film rights were exclusively granted to Peter Jackson’s company Wingnut Films for realization as a film trilogy. Christopher Tolkien of Tolkien Estate will be involved as Executive Producer to maintain creative control over the work of his father.

Peter Jackson: “I am very glad to have this chance to visit Middle-Earth yet unseen on film. What we showed you in “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” are just leftovers of the former epic events which happened during the First and the Second ages. “The Silmarillion” has many emotional stories and full-scale battles and I can’t wait to show them to you. The War of Wrath is such an epic battle that our WETA artists will have to have some sweat over it.”

Philippa Boyens, co-producer and co-writer: “The script will not be an easy one. “The Silmarillion” is an entirely different book – it’s like Middle-Earth’s Bible. But it has some excellent, very personal stories which we can translate into cinema language. The choir of Ainur – you will be astonished about what we did to it. You will have tears in your eyes, I promise.”

The script writers have support from an unexpected source. Christopher Tolkien, head of Tolkien Estate, literary heirs to J.R.R. Tolkien’s works will be actively involved in the project, maintaining creative control.
Christopher Tolkien: “To support the script writers in this uneasy task Tolkien Estate will support them in any way possible. We granted Peter Jackson access to the archives of the Bodleian Library which are closed for the public. On the other hand we received creative control over the script during the entire length of the project. I am sure, with united forces we shall create a film true to the spirit of my father, targeted for a more mature audience. After all this film will be another motivation for the viewers to read the original book.”

In recreating the former glory of Middle-Earth, the landscapes of Beleriand, Numenor and Valinor the cinematographers’ team around PJ will once again rely on the unique New Zealand landscapes as well as WETA’s team of designers. Also, the team of concept artists which consisted of Alan Lee and John Howe will have a new member. The Canadian Ted Nasmith who depicted the world of Silmarillion with an astounding level of detail and who twice declined the offer to work on Middle-Earth films, has finally agreed to collaborate with PJ.

Nasmith: “Until recently I was sure I wouldn’t be able to live in New Zealand for such a long time. However after visiting it I found out I was wrong – this country is absolutely stunning. And after all – when will I get the chance to work together with such amazing colleagues?”

The pre-production work on „The Silmarillion“ which will be created as a trilogy will commence immediately after the work on the second “Hobbit” film, “The Desolation of Smaug” and will occur simultaneously with the post-production of the third film, “There and Back Again”. As Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson will start working on the script, the WETA designers will start working on the appearance of the past ages of Middle-Earth.

Richard Taylor, WETA Workshop creative director: “In Lord of the Rings we have witnessed the fall of the Third age of Middle-Earth; on “The Hobbit” we saw its Indian summer. On “The Silmarillion” we will see the young world of Arda. If you compare the costumes of the Elves who came to Helm’s Deep with those from the Battle of Last Alliance and those from the Exile from Valinor, you’ll see how the shape of their helmets has evolved over time. The difference is very subtle, but it is there.”

Warner Bros. spokesman: “We are very glad that Mr. Jackson and Mr. Tolkien have reached a mutual agreement and are looking forward to work on this project. We want to seize the opportunity when the Hobbit creative team is still assembled and ready to work. Therefore the work on “The Silmarillion” will start just after “The Hobbit” with the targeted release date for the first film set for December 2015.”

As always, there will be old and new partnerships in merchandizing. The high-quality collector’s statues and weapon replicas (like Grond, the mace of Morgoth; Ringil, the Sword of Fingolfin or Aiglos, the Spear of Gil-Galad) will be produced by WETA Workshop; the company Bridge Direct has secured licenses on action figurines (the first to arrive are “Luthien riding on Huan” and “Eru conducting the Choir of the Ainur”). Also, Warner Bros. struck a deal with McDonald’s fast food chain: for each premiere of the “Silmarillion” films there will be special thematic menu creations (“Noldor Burgers”) as well as special gaming events (“Collect three Silmarils and win a journey to New Zealand”).

However, there are still unanswered questions. The titles for the individual installments are yet unknown. There is no information on probable actors who are to play such famous “Silmarillion” heroes like Beren, Luthien and Morgoth. The film company refuses any comment any questions on these topics.

Finally caught this over the weekend. It took a while to get started but once it did I really loved it.

Lynchpin of the whole thing was really Bilbo's speech to the dwarves. Although there was a lot of moving stuff in LotR, nothing in it ever seemed as honest and true and Bilbo explaining what home means to him and how he understands that the dwarves are without that.

Martin Freeman, man.

Finally caught this over the weekend. It took a while to get started but once it did I really loved it.

Lynchpin of the whole thing was really Bilbo's speech to the dwarves. Although there was a lot of moving stuff in LotR, nothing in it ever seemed as honest and true and Bilbo explaining what home means to him and how he understands that the dwarves are without that.

Martin Freeman, man.

One of my favorite moments from the movie, truly.

Martin Freeman, man.

One of my favorite moments from the movie, truly.

Indeed, him and Thorins embrace at the end, a tear jerker :{

The exchange between Bilbo and Bofur, too. A surprising amount of little touching moments to reflect upon <3

Oh gosh, I shoulda said in the cave before Goblin Town. My bad.

Mr Cola

Aesthetically I was displeased how much Bofur looks like Nesbitt, never been a huge fan of his and I did feel some of his humour in the film was bit too corny, his delivery aswell for the "Wargs" section as just plain bad. Ori aswell, im unsure whether its the limitations of the character but his deliveries were just...odd. Not much to qualm about considering they have about 3 minutes of screen time between them.

Blunt the knives was a good song :D

Aesthetically I was displeased how much Bofur looks like Nesbitt, never been a huge fan of his and I did feel some of his humour in the film was bit too corny, his delivery aswell for the "Wargs" section as just plain bad. Ori aswell, im unsure whether its the limitations of the character but his deliveries were just...odd. Not much to qualm about considering they have about 3 minutes of screen time between them.

Blunt the knives was a good song :D

I don't really have any problems with characters looking/acting like their actors in The Hobbit. But, that isn't to say that it doesn't bug the crap outta me in other films (how many Burton movies do Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp have to be in together?!) sooooo I'm not surprised that some people take issue with it here. I guess I'm lucky I never saw The Office UK, either, ha! Oh British television.

And YEAH Blunt the Knives was awesome! I woulda been so sad if they'd left it out, omg.

Mr Cola

I don't really have any problems with characters looking/acting like their actors in The Hobbit. But, that isn't to say that it doesn't bug the crap outta me in other films (how many Burton movies do Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp have to be in together?!) sooooo I'm not surprised that some people take issue with it here. I guess I'm lucky I never saw The Office UK, either, ha! Oh British television.

And YEAH Blunt the Knives was awesome! I woulda been so sad if they'd left it out, omg.

I had seen Martin in many many things over here in the UK from his tv work in the office and other comedy shows, to his performance in low and bigger budget films. Hell even Love actually where he has awkward sex scenes. Despite all this I found no issue with him as Bilbo, probably because he is a genuinely good actor and embraces the role. Nesbitt, everything I have seen him in I have disliked so not even hiding him behind makeup or prosthetics (it is just nesbitt with a moustache) is jarring. It almost felt like they spent their operating budget on the first 10 Dwarfs then got to kili fili and Nesbitt and thought, meh, they'll do.

I had seen Martin in many many things over here in the UK from his tv work in the office and other comedy shows, to his performance in low and bigger budget films. Hell even Love actually where he has awkward sex scenes. Despite all this I found no issue with him as Bilbo, probably because he is a genuinely good actor and embraces the role. Nesbitt, everything I have seen him in I have disliked so not even hiding him behind makeup or prosthetics (it is just nesbitt with a moustache) is jarring. It almost felt like they spent their operating budget on the first 10 Dwarfs then got to kili fili and Nesbitt and thought, meh, they'll do.

I'm betting high that the next two films will give each dwarf a chance to express themselves, just so we don't have a terribly lopsided "well, the attractive ones have personalities, that'll do" kind of situation. Hopefully it'll help with them feeling more like a 'company' than 'just a few', sharing the spotlight a little. I love Fili & Kili (of course)! This comparison has been made before, but they're totally Merry & Pippin v. 2.0, so yeah. Love.

But, of course, if you don't like an actor, then y'don't like him, there's nothing wrong with that :p At least you don't let it ruin the entire film for you.

Mr Cola

Of all the characters im most looking forward to here are the top5, in order

1) Steven Frys Master of Laketown :D
2) Evangeline Lillys elf!
3) Legolas
4) Smaug
5) Bard

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Of all the characters im most looking forward to here are the top5, in order

1) Steven Frys Master of Laketown :D
2) Evangeline Lillys elf!
3) Legolas
4) Smaug
5) Bard
I'd go with Benedict Cumberbatch's Smaug depiction, Mikael Persbrandt's Beorn, Billy Connolly's Dain and of course; Lee Pace's Thranduil (quite a fan of his even since Soldier's Girl and The Fall).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom