• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;52276707 said:

dsfsdfsdfsdf.jpg

Jackson is quite tricksy.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;52309911 said:
Azog (slayer of Thror) versus Lurtz (slayer of Boromir and a fighting Uruk-hai.

Who wins?

Hmm...

azog_gif_by_namgis-d5gwbxm.gif

versus

tumblr_lzd84q6u4o1qzdqga78.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the guy from Gundabad/Moria.

Although I think Lurts looks a helluva a lot cooler :)

Oh man, so cool...! http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f486/

Sculpted from polystone and coated with a protective layer of polyurethane, each Eye of Sauron Desk Lamp is painted and finished by hand and features cutting-edge LED technology. Plug it into the wall and it will turn its roving eye toward anything it deems worth watching. Its gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh, so you should probably keep it away from children and hobbits.

Edmond Dantès;52309911 said:
Azog (slayer of Thror) versus Lurtz (slayer of Boromir and a fighting Uruk-hai.

Who wins?

Lurtz all the way. A named Uruk captain who didn't impede on the film at all, and much convincing thanks to being prosthetics and make up. Great design too.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Strange they havent filmed scenes with him and the actors then, stranger still that Armitage says they are going back to film scenes with him in the block that was scheduled for new footage to parse films 2 and 3.

I wonder who will have the big reveal :O

Edmond Dantès;52385796 said:
Azog kills Fili and Kili, Thorin kills Azog, Bolg kills Thorin, Beorn kills Bolg (as in the book).

Ah. I misinterpreted the "as in the book" comment and doubted my memory hard for a second there.
To confirm my ancient childhood memories, in the book, Azog died in the backstory's war b/t orcs and dwarves, and Fili and kili were killed by no-names, right?

In the sneak peek, Colbert mentioned that Thranduil & Legolas were of a different er, elf... race? than their Mirkwoodian subjects. Are they not from Mirkwood... errr, Greenwood? Is that the reason that Tauriel has a different color hair than any of the elves we've seen so far? I assumed that one could tell where an elf was from by the color of their hair :\

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ah. I misinterpreted the "as in the book" comment and doubted my memory hard for a second there.
To confirm my ancient childhood memories, in the book, Azog died in the backstory's war b/t orcs and dwarves, and Fili and kili were killed by no-names, right?
Indeed. Their deaths are unexplained really.
In the sneak peek, Colbert mentioned that Thranduil & Legolas were of a different er, elf... race? than their Mirkwoodian subjects. Are they not from Mirkwood... errr, Greenwood? Is that the reason that Tauriel has a different color hair than any of the elves we've seen so far? I assumed that one could tell where an elf was from by the color of their hair :
Thranduil was of the Sindar, descendants of the Teleri; one of the three main branches of Elves, (the other two being the Noldor and the highest of all Elves, the Vanyar). A small group of Sindar mingled with the Elves they found in Greenwood. The general populace of the Mirkwood kingdom (Greenwood) were Silvan Elves who never completed the journey to Valinor after Orome (the Vala who first came across the Elves in their infancy in Middle-earth) summoned them on behalf of the Valar. They made it as far as the Misty Mountains from the Elven birth place (Cuiviénen )before deciding to remain in Middle-earth. They largely disapeared from history, becoming known as the Nandor, then reappearing later.

The Nandor were regarded as 'lesser' than the other Elves. That explains their more rustic culture.

Thranduil was of the ruling class, along with Legolas. Tauriel, a 'lesser' Elf.

Finally, the Vanyar were blonde, but there were exceptions to this, with certain Elves with Vanyar blood in them. Galadriel and Glorfindel for example. Noldor were generally dark haired, with one exception; Mahtan and members of his family.

Edmond Dantès;52392504 said:
Thranduil was of the Sindar, descendants of the Teleri; one of the three main branches of Elves, (the other two being the Noldor and the highest of all Elves, the Vanyar). A small group of Sindar mingled with the Elves they found in Greenwood. The general populace of the Mirkwood kingdom (Greenwood) were Silvan Elves who never completed the journey to Valinor after Orome (the Vala who first came across the Elves in their infancy in Middle-earth) summoned them on behalf of the Valar. They made it as far as the Mountains from the Elven birth place (Cuiviénen )before deciding to remain in Middle-earth. They largely disapeared from history, becoming known as the Nandor, then reappearing later.

The Nandor were regarded as 'lesser' than the other Elves. That explains their more rustic culture.

Thranduil was of the ruling class, along with Legolas. Tauriel, a 'lesser' Elf.

Finally, the Vanyar were blonde, but there were exceptions to this, with certain Elves with Vanyar blood in them. Galadriel and Glorfindel for example. Noldor were generally dark haired, with one exception; Mahtan and members of his family.

I have to admit, "rustic elves" made me chuckle. I don't blame them; I woulda stayed in Greenwood too if I were an elf.

Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that elves are immortal, so I suppose their generational dynamics are way different than what I would think when I think of families.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I have to admit, "rustic elves" made me chuckle. I don't blame them; I woulda stayed in Greenwood too if I were an elf.

Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that elves are immortal, so I suppose their generational dynamics are way different than what I would think when I think of families.
Think of them as one big dysfunctional family.

Dmax3901

Dantes did seem to almost use the very same words to describe the whole Thranduil Legolas Mirkwood elves disparity a couple of posts up... That could be because Colbert explained it all very succinctly and there's no point muddying things... or it could be because THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON.

Dantes did seem to almost use the very same words to describe the whole Thranduil Legolas Mirkwood elves disparity a couple of posts up... That could be because Colbert explained it all very succinctly and there's no point muddying things... or it could be because THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON.

Pshhh, Edmond is better at explaining that stuff than Colbert; obviously he had to make it short and sweet for the video. Though I must admit, my question was rather poorly worded. Oh well! I understand it better now :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edmond are you Stephen Colbert?

Now that I think about it, I never have seen Dantès and Colbert in the same place at the same time...

This question has been in my head for a long, long time. But, I never asked because Edmond seems too mellow to be someone as silly as Colbert. Maybe he's just really good at hiding it?

I thought I was the only person who thought this...

I've got some more fun art I want to share! Sketches, but whatevs.

If Frerin & Dis had been the ones to come along with Thorin instead of Fili & Kili :) I love this chick's super-expressive dwarves, they make me so happeh~

GVj6JsF.png

Here's her tumblr; she's got a ton of the other dwarves, too! Everyone, in fact <3

Platy

I've got some more fun art I want to share! Sketches, but whatevs.

If Frerin & Dis had been the ones to come along with Thorin instead of Fili & Kili :) I love this chick's super-expressive dwarves, they make me so happeh~

GVj6JsF.png

Here's her tumblr; she's got a ton of the other dwarves, too! Everyone, in fact <3

Her female dwarfs are in SERIOUS need of facial hair

Her female dwarfs are in SERIOUS need of facial hair

There isn't much female dwarf fanart, and even less with a ton of facial hair; I think Dis is the only one she's drawn so far, and she's not entirely lacking: I see some sideburns goin' on! Gosh I love her :)

Sushigod7

Edmond Dantès;52618980 said:
Sir Ian McKellen: Benedict Cumberbatch is very impressive in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/03/ian-m...n-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-3581828/

Sir Ian McKellen: The Lord of the Rings is better than The Hobbit

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/04/sir-i...-the-rings-is-better-than-the-hobbit-3581855/

The headline of the second article seems misleading to me he didn't really say that he just said it's a simpler story with less consequences. Great articles though thanks for posting!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Was I alone in seeing a few bearded Dwarf women in the prologue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom