• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 1 - Improvements Listed

Sony: Returnal 500k... mega success! Buy the studio!

Also Sony: Days Gone - 5-9 million sold/played ... MOTHER FUCKING FLOP!! Fire Creative Director Day 1 after release. GTFO Gameplay Director 6 months after launch. Kill the franchise! P.S Do adapt the franchise into a movie though. Cant waste those 9 million engagement numbers.
When did Sony kill Days Gone when it was the studio themselves that didn't want to go for a sequel?

How did Sony want to forget this IP when it's literally one of the few PC games they released? And a movie on the way?

Nice fanfics though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
When did Sony kill Days Gone when it was the studio themselves that didn't want to go for a sequel?

How did Sony want to forget this IP when it's literally one of the few PC games they released? And a movie on the way?

Nice fanfics though.
I'm never gonna fully believe that the studio didn't wanted to make a sequel after THAT secret finale that was BY FAR the best bit of info of the whole zombie invasion.

The game already had a decent finale without any need for a secret finale with those revelations...

That is not the work of people who don't want to make a sequel.

I'm never gonna fully believe that the studio didn't wanted to make a sequel after THAT secret finale that was BY FAR the best bit of info of the whole zombie invasion.

The game already had a decent finale without any need for a secret finale with those revelations...

That is not the work of people who don't want to make a sequel.
The creator himself said that a few months ago. Maybe he lied for no reason.

Thaedolus

Judging based solely off the thumbnail, this is a retcon. Wtf are they doing. This is insane. I preferred when his watch was fine when he was holding his kid. It was perfect before and now, this Cuckland guy ruined it. Disgusting.

jokes
I’m glad you added the “jokes” because with the quality of discussion around this game in particular, I had no idea.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The creator himself said that a few months ago. Maybe he lied for no reason.
Then why making that secret finale that literally open up a way more interesting sequel? They had to pay actors and mocap sessions to do that, it was not free.

Garvey was super passionate about his story, he wasn't just another paid writer.

Then why making that secret finale that literally open up a way more interesting sequel? They had to pay actors and mocap sessions to do that, it was not free.

Garvey was super passionate about his story, he wasn't just another paid writer.
Because he didn't make those decisions alone?

Sony never even got a single pitch for a sequel of the game. The studio decided to go for a different direction.
That's why he wasn't the only one leaving the studio. The studio was 50/50 on doing a sequel for Days Gone or a new IP.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Because he didn't make those decisions alone?

Sony never even got a single pitch for a sequel of the game. The studio decided to go for a different direction.
That's why he wasn't the only one leaving the studio. The studio was 50/50 on doing a sequel for Days Gone or a new IP.
Fuck this shit, a sequel with some experience on their backs and a more interesting story would have been big...

I take deacon, sarah and boozers over edgie and Abbold Schwarzenegger every day of the week...

Fuck this shit, a sequel with some experience on their backs and a more interesting story would have been big...

I take deacon, sarah and boozers over edgie and Abbold Schwarzenegger every day of the week...
Good thing you don't have to choose between releasing two different games from 2 different studios.

That said, as soon as i was cruching on Days Gone looking for scrap to upgrade stuff and killing zombies it was clear i was playing a poor man's version of The Last of Us. It's a waste to have 2 studios doing games like this.

I still enjoyed my time with it, even if the game didn't know when to end.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Good thing you don't have to choose between releasing two different games from 2 different studios.

That said, as soon as i was cruching on Days Gone looking for scrap to upgrade stuff and killing zombies it was clear i was playing a poor man's version of The Last of Us. It's a waste to have 2 studios doing games like this.

I still enjoyed my time with it, even if the game didn't know when to end.
Yeah like i said the gameplay was extremely ispired by tlou, but the sheer variety of approaches was like 10x times better.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can’t believe that people are fighting for the priority hierarchy of 3 excellent games: Days Gone, Returnal and The Last of Us. Can’t we just be glad that they were made, finalized and that they excel in their own genre?
I think the argument is that a remake took precedence over a sequel that was eventually cancelled. They are different studios sure, but at the end of the day, its the direction of Sony the publisher we are talking about, not individual studios and games themselves.

DG deserved a sequel. TLOU deserves a remake. But should ND be the one wasting their time on a remake? Give it to a smaller studio like Nixxes, Bluepoint or you know the original VSG studio. ND's time is better spent doing something new. 2 years is a long time for your PREMIERE studio to be spending time essentially upgrading assets. Had DG2 been greenlit on day one, the past three years wouldve been spent creating NEW assets, new worlds, new gameplay systems, and a new story. ND wouldve done the same the last two years.

I still cant believe they released Lost Legacy in a year but didnt greenlight a Joel prequel after such an intense online reaction to his death. Just throw people a bone. It was probably because Neil wanted full control of this IP and he was too busy with his tv show, but if I were Herman, I wouldve greenlit a prequel with Joel than have ND spend 2 years on this remake.

tommib

I think the argument is that a remake took precedence over a sequel that was eventually cancelled. They are different studios sure, but at the end of the day, its the direction of Sony the publisher we are talking about, not individual studios and games themselves.

DG deserved a sequel. TLOU deserves a remake. But should ND be the one wasting their time on a remake? Give it to a smaller studio like Nixxes, Bluepoint or you know the original VSG studio. ND's time is better spent doing something new. 2 years is a long time for your PREMIERE studio to be spending time essentially upgrading assets. Had DG2 been greenlit on day one, the past three years wouldve been spent creating NEW assets, new worlds, new gameplay systems, and a new story. ND wouldve done the same the last two years.

I still cant believe they released Lost Legacy in a year but didnt greenlight a Joel prequel after such an intense online reaction to his death. Just throw people a bone. It was probably because Neil wanted full control of this IP and he was too busy with his tv show, but if I were Herman, I wouldve greenlit a prequel with Joel than have ND spend 2 years on this remake.
I totally agree but, and I’ve said it before, the remake seems to be made for PC gamers as a way to introduce the franchise and eventually release Part 2 next year. You might hate to hear it, but Sony is full on the PC landscape and they’re trying to launch the franchise at its best, with a ND remake no less.

For PlayStation fans, it does look redundant but they had to release it on PS5 as well. I agree that Nixxes should’ve worked on this and ND should’ve been working on a totally new game. The Joel prequel sounds great but wouldn’t it be an overload with how much Joel we get on Part 1 anyway?

Let’s see if this 2 year investment pays off. I have the feeling they’ll sell more PC copies than PS5 ones.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It wasn't lol. You used sales to back up your argument.
Which part of these statements is untrue?

Sony: Returnal 500k... - Those are actual sales numbers from Sony.
mega success! - Sony called it a success.
Buy the studio! - Sony bought the studios

Also Sony: Days Gone - 5-9 million sold/played ... These are actual sales/player numbers from the director of the game/
Fire Creative Director Day 1 after release. - John Garvin confirmed he was let go 3 days after the game launched.
Gameplay Director 6 months after launch. - The gameplay director's Days Gone 2 pitch was rejected and he left.
Kill the franchise! - The franchise HAS been cancelled. Unless there is a days gone 2 somewhere I am not sure how this is untrue.
P.S Do adapt the franchise into a movie though. Cant waste those 9 million engagement numbers. - The movie was just announced.

Again, which one of these statements is false?!?!?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Which part of these statements is untrue?

Sony: Returnal 500k... - Those are actual sales numbers from Sony.
mega success! - Sony called it a success.
Buy the studio! - Sony bought the studios

Also Sony: Days Gone - 5-9 million sold/played ... These are actual sales/player numbers from the director of the game/
Fire Creative Director Day 1 after release. - John Garvin confirmed he was let go 3 days after the game launched.
Gameplay Director 6 months after launch. - The gameplay director's Days Gone 2 pitch was rejected and he left.
Kill the franchise! - The franchise HAS been cancelled. Unless there is a days gone 2 somewhere I am not sure how this is untrue.
P.S Do adapt the franchise into a movie though. Cant waste those 9 million engagement numbers. - The movie was just announced.

Again, which one of these statements is false?!?!?

Sony: Returnal 500k... mega success! Buy the studio!

Also Sony: Days Gone - 5-9 million sold/played ... MOTHER FUCKING FLOP!! Fire Creative Director Day 1 after release. GTFO Gameplay Director 6 months after launch. Kill the franchise! P.S Do adapt the franchise into a movie though. Cant waste those 9 million engagement numbers.

That part in bold. They never considered it a flop. That's the lie.

GametimeUK

The gyro aim sucks on this game. Has anyone had success with it? It feels like there's an opposing magnet on the other side of the cursor sometimes and then all of a sudden its fine. So inconsistent.

Top Bottom