• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 - Amazon UK seems to have revealed by mistake the release date in advance

joe_zazen

They don’t have to wait for anything, except for the game to be released. The fact that the next generation console is around the corner is not gonna take anything away from the game. And if you think about it for a second, you’ll realize that NOT releasing The Last of Us Part II on PS4 would be among the biggest fan betrayals in gaming history. Just think of how many fans that already owns a PS4 and have been waiting for this game the past 3 years. Even I, who will probably get a PS5 day one, would be outraged.

Never said make it a ps5 only game.

release it at the same time would be best for both ps4 and ps5 players. No spoilers, and those willing to pay best fps and gfx would get them. I can guarantee though, that sony has run the numbers and releasing in may for ps4 with a remaster in nov for ps5 is going to sell more copies than releasing both in nov.

Double dip for what? It will be BC. If anything they will release an upgrade patch just like the Pro gets now.

We’ll see, lol.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

release it at the same time would be best for both ps4 and ps5 players. No spoilers, and those willing to pay best fps and gfx would get them. I can guarantee though, that sony has run the numbers and releasing in may for ps4 with a remaster in nov for ps5 is going to sell more copies than releasing both in nov.
So you think they should push the release date to the PS5 launch just so that the weirdos you describe won’t have to worry about spoilers? I’m glad you’re not in charge, I’ll tell you that.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Edit: Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo 7 and possibly Horizon Zero Dawn 2 would be good launch/early PS5 titles, but not TLoU 2.

None of the games you mentioned will ever be ready by 2020.
And nobody will come along with the PS5 launch.

That's why Sony will be looking to sell PS5 with The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

And there's nothing wrong with doing it, to be honest.
Because they are graphically spectacular games.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

None of the games you mentioned will ever be ready by 2020.
And nobody will come along with the PS5 launch.

That's why Sony will be looking to sell PS5 with The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

And there's nothing wrong with doing it, to be honest.
Because they are graphically spectacular games.
Look, I’m all for releasing TLoU 2 on PS5, as long as the PS4 release does not get delayed because of it. That’s all I’m saying.

Oh, and about those games not being ready by late 2020/early 2021, I have no idea, but I do think it’s possible.

Again, releasing TLoU late in PS3’s lifecycle worked, so releasing TLoU 2 late in PS4’s lifecycle will work just as well. It makes the most sense to me. Then, a remastered or patched PS5 version, just like the last time around, and everyone’s happy. I do not see the problem!

Shagger

Banned
Look, I’m all for releasing TLoU 2 on PS5, as long as the PS4 release does not get delayed because of it. That’s all I’m saying.

Oh, and about those games not being ready by late 2020/early 2021, I have no idea, but I do think it’s possible.

Again, releasing TLoU late in PS3’s lifecycle worked, so releasing TLoU 2 late in PS4’s lifecycle will work just as well. It makes the most sense to me. Then, a remastered or patched PS5 version, just like the last time around, and everyone’s happy. I do not see the problem!

I agree. I see a very similar plan for TLOU 2 as the original. THOU 2 would be a huge pull for people to get eh PS5, but the publicity hit would be devastating if they did. Sony have plenty of other aces up thier sleeves to use a launch titles for the PS5 (The HZD sequil I think will be one of them) and there would be less of a backlash as people haven't been waiting and been teased by that game the way we have the TLOU 2

D.Final

Banned

There is a reason I say that both GT7 and HZD2, will never come out in 2020, for a simple reason. Marketing.

They are 2 great triple A games for Sony.
And the only presence they will ever have in 2020 is at most an official announcement for events like the Playstation Meeting 2020 in February, or E3 2020.
But it is not absolutely realistic that they come out the same year they are announced.
And this also for marketing reasons.

For The Last of Us Part 2, it will be released 100% first on PS4.
But it is also 100% certain that Sony will also advertise The Last of Us Part 2 as a great game on PS5.
(with technical improvements that will make it evident in their marketing campaigns)

So, The Last of Us Part 2 is definitely one of the first games, along with Ghost of Tsushima, that will clearly exploit the technical enhancements of framerates and data resolution from PS5.
(and Sony will focus on this factor)

Then everyone will choose what they prefer to do.
Play it right away on PS4, or play it later on a technically enhanced PS5.

II chose to play both versions of the game.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This isn't 2013.

Consoles will most likely be BC day one and they would not get away with selling a remaster version.

They're going to show off the power of the PS5, and many of the first party PS4 games will be used to advertise the PS5 (PS4 first party games running at 4K 60fps).

Do if PS4 TLOU2 works day one on the pS5, how can they get away with selling a remaster?

D.Final

Banned
I agree. I see a very similar plan for TLOU 2 as the original. THOU 2 would be a huge pull for people to get eh PS5, but the publicity hit would be devastating if they did. Sony have plenty of other aces up thier sleeves to use a launch titles for the PS5 (The HZD sequil I think will be one of them) and there would be less of a backlash as people haven't been waiting and been teased by that game the way we have the TLOU 2

I believe that Sony is much more likely to present The Last of Us Part 2 as a game first for PS4 and then for PS5.
With subsequent upgrade given by the hardware.
(and even a future Complete Edition of the game could coming on PS5 for 2020/21)

And easily advertise The Last of Us Part 2 on PS5 too, with immense improved technical qualities compared to the basic PS4 version.
(no fan would complain for sure, because the game they have been waiting for for years can also play on PS4 standard, but if they play it on PS5 they can play it even better, with 60fps and 4K, for example)

Last edited:

joe_zazen

This isn't 2013.

Consoles will most likely be BC day one and they would not get away with selling a remaster version.

They're going to show off the power of the PS5, and many of the first party PS4 games will be used to advertise the PS5 (PS4 first party games running at 4K 60fps).

Do if PS4 TLOU2 works day one on the pS5, how can they get away with selling a remaster?

Good point, my thinking is dinosaur.

My new theory is that it’ll be a free game to launch Sony All-Pass in Nov.
  • Games so good, you’ll finally be able to give up drinking and get off anti-depressants;
  • + save the planet from climate change through consumption of Millennial approved pre-landfill landfill.
All for $19 USD per mo.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Less than half an hour remains at the start of the event.

What will the real date be?
We could find out very soon.

Top Bottom