• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

Kerotan

Spoiler for lost levels and game.

Second level has a really cool PTSD flashback where you see Joel's face on a clicker.

Third level you kill a boar and it gave me chills the way they mixed Joel's dying screams with the boars and she gets another flashback.

Gave me goosebumps. Think I have PTSD replaying this game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
bRDHO4A.jpg

Justin9mm

Quick PSA: Using Linear PCM in the PS5 settings does not give you 5.1 surround sound if you're using Home Theater. You'll need to use either Dolby or DTS to enable it.
What!? I have a proper 5.1.2 Atmos home theatre, in PS5 I have it set to Dolby Atmos. Outout on my receiver is PCM, but it sounds like it is 5.1? Is it really not 5.1? Granted I've only played the first hour but did not notice it's not 5.1? Is this a glitch/bug. How can ND not include basic 5.1 through PCM. I was surprised this remastered version couldn't do Atmos encoding to be honest.

Last edited:
So I knew this "remaster" would disappoint me in some ways but thought they'd at least make SOME kind of graphical improvements. You know like they frigging advertised? I didn't think it would be a total lie and that there'd actually be NO graphical enhancements!

WTF is going on with Sony and Naughty Dog with their remasters and willingness to lie about graphical "improvements"?? Aside from the obvious difference one will see by introducing a higher res fidelity mode I don't see a lick of difference in improved settings!

Anyone else annoyed by this?

Justin9mm

Let me know what level of blur and grain you settle on.
I haven't had time to play again but I'm really torn because I can't really decide what looks better, I hated the film grain when I played the PS4 Pro version on release like it was so noticeable, so noticeable that I didnt even care about film grain on or off in games before that and when I played it I was wondering what was off about it. This was when they didn't even include an option to disable before they patched it. Now that I'm playing the remastered version on fidelity mode, I don't even think the film grain on default max 10 looks that bad, 0 to me doesn't look right either, looks to gamey. I'm also not sure without playing more if motion blur off altogether is the right way as a bit of blur does add to the cinematic effect given the type of game and I am playing fidelity hovering in the 40-50 fps mark.. Next time I boot it up, I might set each halfway to 5 and see how I go.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is the director's commentary peppered through out the game or just for the lost levels ?

How do you go from 1440p/60 on a non native ps5 version to the "remastered" NATIVE PS5 version and, still at 1440p/60, get no other graphical improvement?

Am I just blind and not seeing it?!

They should have called it Complete Edition, or Director's Cut or something. Remastered makes you think of the kind of visual remastering that isn't present here.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How do you go from 1440p/60 on a non native ps5 version to the "remastered" NATIVE PS5 version and, still at 1440p/60, get no other graphical improvement?

Play in the native 4k mode. it looks very sharp and crystal clear.

turn off or reduce motion blur and chromatic abberation.

Is the director's commentary peppered through out the game or just for the lost levels ?

They should have called it Complete Edition, or Director's Cut or something. Remastered makes you think of the kind of visual remastering that isn't present here.
there is a cutscene viewer in the game where you can select each cutscene in the game and toggle commentary from there.

Last edited:
I haven't had time to play again but I'm really torn because I can't really decide what looks better, I hated the film grain when I played the PS4 Pro version on release like it was so noticeable, so noticeable that I didnt even care about film grain on or off in games before that and when I played it I was wondering what was off about it. This was when they didn't even include an option to disable before they patched it. Now that I'm playing the remastered version on fidelity mode, I don't even think the film grain on default max 10 looks that bad, 0 to me doesn't look right either, looks to gamey. I'm also not sure without playing more if motion blur off altogether is the right way as a bit of blur does add to the cinematic effect given the type of game and I am playing fidelity hovering in the 40-50 fps mark.. Next time I boot it up, I might set each halfway to 5 and see how I go.

Now that at least the Fidelity mode is higher res (so disappointed they couldn't get performance mode to 1620p!), a bit of film grain is fine. It's only a problem at 1440p. As far as motion blur, you shouldn't lower that past 6-7 as it will, esp in Fidelity, look worse esp on an Oled.

Three

So I knew this "remaster" would disappoint me in some ways but thought they'd at least make SOME kind of graphical improvements. You know like they frigging advertised? I didn't think it would be a total lie and that there'd actually be NO graphical enhancements!

WTF is going on with Sony and Naughty Dog with their remasters and willingness to lie about graphical "improvements"?? Aside from the obvious difference one will see by introducing a higher res fidelity mode I don't see a lick of difference in improved settings!

What did they say regarding improved settings? I think they just said improved textures and shadows which the higher fidelity 4k mode requires. It's all just higher res, nothing else was really said. Though I do remember reading somewhere somebody trying to suggest its the same as TLOU to TLOU Remastered. Maybe those differences were more noticeable? Is that what you're referring to?

adamsapple

there is a cutscene viewer in the game where you can select each cutscene in the game and toggle commentary from there.

Oh, I thought it was gonna be like the Remedy games with speech bubbles in the world which do commentary as you play.

Play in the native 4k mode. it looks very sharp and crystal clear.

turn off or reduce motion blur and chromatic abberation.

Yeah, Fidelity is nice and clear. Brings out the fine detail missing from the performance mode. My issue is once again with the false advertising of "improved graphics" when it's in fact just a resolution bump! They very clearly advertised "a host of graphical enhancements" on the psn store. Also, I'm annoyed at the performance mode being only 1440p again even though I should've expected it.

How long did we wait for a PS5 version of this? And to call it a remaster and flat out say it's going to have higher settings when it doesn't is infuriating.

Three

Because "non-native" doesn't really exist and it was 30fps before a free PS5 specific patch made it 60fps. So they already made the optimisation changes for 60fps for PS5 in the patch. The improvement is in the fidelity mode where they had to use higher quality textures and shadows but even that change wouldn't be groundbreaking outside of the 4k presentation.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Now that at least the Fidelity mode is higher res (so disappointed they couldn't get performance mode to 1620p!), a bit of film grain is fine. It's only a problem at 1440p. As far as motion blur, you shouldn't lower that past 6-7 as it will, esp in Fidelity, look worse esp on an Oled.
I just have a normal 120hz full array LED, so I could get away with lower blur? It still looked fine in fidelity with uncapped framerate which looks like it sits above 40fps most of the time. In saying that I've never really had issues with playing games with motion blur except if I play something like COD.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Because "non-native" doesn't really exist and it was 30fps before a free PS5 specific patch made it 60fps. So they already made the optimisation changes for 60fps for PS5 in the patch. The improvement is in the fidelity mode where they had to use higher quality textures and shadows but even that change wouldn't be groundbreaking outside of the 4k presentation.

There is no difference in textures or shadow quality between Performance and Fidelity modes, and there's no perceptible difference in those between the PS4 Pro and PS5 versions either, barring one or two noted instances per DF.

PS4 - PS5
I similarly struggled to find any texture quality differences between the PS4 and PS5 code, despite dozens of close-range captures, with the sole exception of a dirt texture that looked higher resolution in the Remastered version. Like with the shadows, I wouldn't expect a wholesale improvement here, but perhaps tweaked assets show up very occasionally. Texture filtering, though, does receive a noticeable upgrade, causing distant ground detail to resolve with less blur.

PS5 Performance - Fidelity
Beyond the resolution differences, the ambient occlusion sometimes takes on a noticeably different appearance in the fidelity mode that isn't necessarily preferable to the original presentation. I didn't spot any noticeable tweaks in LOD settings, volumetrics resolution, shadow resolution, texture filtering, or any other common tweakable between the two modes either

Three

There is no difference in textures or shadow quality between Performance and Fidelity modes, and there's no perceptible difference in those between the PS4 Pro and PS5 versions either, barring one or two noted instances per DF.

PS4 - PS5

PS5 Performance - Fidelity

I have no idea why DF are making claims like that. There is a clear texture difference but I guess it would just show as lower res in the performance mode which they are failing to see. And to show its not just better texture filtering that's visible on the other images it's fairly obvious in the image of this bark that the fidelity mode has higher res textures.

The-Last-of-Us-Part-2-Remastered-PS5---DF-Tech-Review---A-Worthy-Upgrade_-5-50-screenshot.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What!? I have a proper 5.1.2 Atmos home theatre, in PS5 I have it set to Dolby Atmos. Outout on my receiver is PCM, but it sounds like it is 5.1? Is it really not 5.1? Granted I've only played the first hour but did not notice it's not 5.1? Is this a glitch/bug. How can ND not include basic 5.1 through PCM. I was surprised this remastered version couldn't do Atmos encoding to be honest.
PS5 uses Dolby MAT, it's PCM through Dolby Atmos.
Does your actual receiver show PCM?
Mine says Atmos

Stooky

nope looks great to me. definitely worth a $10 upgrade. overall fidelity is a step up, draw distances, shadows maps. Much less pop in from what i remember. foliage textures look sharper. I remember it looking a little blurry. I think the in game models look higher res. might plug up my ps4 and do some comparisons.

Last edited:
Was anyone able to transfer all trophies, including the Platinum, from importing the ps4 saves of the game? I imported my saves from the ps4 and unlocked all but 2 trophies: Artifact (all collectibles) and the Card Collector trophy. Really don’t want to go through the collectathon again!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would love to know who approves tshirts as skins, but they don’t give them a coat to wear. It’s freezing and they’re in a T-shirt. It makes no sense.

adamsapple

Just got the update.

The PS4 on PS5 BC and PS5 Performance modes are practically interchangeable, if there is any difference (minus the oddity in FoV in my screens below), I didn't notice it.

Fidelity is much clearer with the higher resolution and anisotropic filtering but obviously you're not getting more than 40~ FPS at most.

PS4 BC

pHno9pT.jpg

--

PS5 Performance

59YWkZf.jpg

--

PS5 Fidelity

MfbR7tG.jpg

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This is such an amazing looking game in 4K

And the combat is just insane with the haptics. I forgot just how punishing, brutal, and visceral it all is - the additional details and resolution really bring it to life.

I bet we get 4K60 patch with the PS5 Pro

What sucks is I want to wait to replay this with the Pulse Elites for the increased audio quality. Maybe I'll stick to no return mode for now

Last edited:

Venuspower

Quick PSA: Using Linear PCM in the PS5 settings does not give you 5.1 surround sound if you're using Home Theater. You'll need to use either Dolby or DTS to enable it.

7.1 is working just fine for me (PS5 => LG C9 => X6700H (eARC). No upmixer enabled of courss. Pure 7.1 LPCM. Tested it with the main story.

The fact that you mention that DTS and DD are working sounds more like a bottleneck in your audio chain. But then other games should also have the same problem.

MirageMew2

For $10 I gotta say No Return is exceptional. I do wish they went full blown GoT Legends and added online co-op but yeah I’m locked in on No Return.

Was anyone able to transfer all trophies, including the Platinum, from importing the ps4 saves of the game? I imported my saves from the ps4 and unlocked all but 2 trophies: Artifact (all collectibles) and the Card Collector trophy. Really don’t want to go through the collectathon again!
Yes the trophies unlock on imported saves

Last edited:

RPS37

I already finished the game on PS5 back compare, but I was all ready to start a new game…should I do new game+!or start fresh?

Ar¢tos

I don't have patience for ND storytelling and I basically already know the story of the game. I bought TLOU2 years ago but never played it.
How enjoyable would the game be skipping all cutscenes and focusing on gameplay?
I enjoyed TLOU1 gameplay.

Bartski

Gold Member
Is it just me or everytime you start a round and enemies spawn they know your exact location right from the beginning? It makes it very difficult to approach them stealthily.
In assault you can see it on the encounter card. Enemies start in: search or combat

Elysium44

Banned
I don't have patience for ND storytelling and I basically already know the story of the game. I bought TLOU2 years ago but never played it.
How enjoyable would the game be skipping all cutscenes and focusing on gameplay?
I enjoyed TLOU1 gameplay.

I found it more enjoyable to do that and also turn dialogue volume to zero.

King Dazzar

So, I'm using 5.1 PCM and set to AV Amplifier and have fully working 5.1 audio. I've played several sessions too and always had perfect audio. Not sure whats causing issues for you, but I'm not having any. My audio is going via a TV eARC set up into a Yamaha AVR. Full surround, all correctly placed.

Just got the update.

The PS4 on PS5 BC and PS5 Performance modes are practically interchangeable, if there is any difference (minus the oddity in FoV in my screens below), I didn't notice it.

Fidelity is much clearer with the higher resolution and anisotropic filtering but obviously you're not getting more than 40~ FPS at most.
I'm a few hours in and I'm usually getting far greater than 40fps and only occasionally getting as low as 40fps, so for me that's just not true.

Justin9mm

So, I'm using 5.1 PCM and set to AV Amplifier and have fully working 5.1 audio. I've played several sessions too and always had perfect audio. Not sure whats causing issues for you, but I'm not having any. My audio is going via a TV eARC set up into a Yamaha AVR. Full surround, all correctly placed.
I'm not having any issues, it is saintjules saintjules that is saying it doesn't play 5.1 in PCM. After going back after commenting, I'm getting 5.1, I was second guessing because of his post.

Justin9mm

PS5 uses Dolby MAT, it's PCM through Dolby Atmos.
Does your actual receiver show PCM?
Mine says Atmos
My PCM is fine doing 5.1, not sure what the other poster was on about not doing 5.1 on PCM.
My PS5 is set to Atmos, receiver says PCM when playing TLOU2 which is correct as there is no Atmos encoded. It's the same as any other content which doesn;t have Atmos. My Series X also set to Atmos, if I play something that isn't Atmos it will show the real audio format such as DD on the receiver. My friend has an older receiver, if he sets his Series X to Atmos, the receiver shows Atmos for everything. I have a newer Yamaha Aventage receiver, both Series X and PS5 go through HDMI 2.1 ports on the receiver.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do i need to install the ps4 disc on my ps5 or its only purpose is to be a control-check to play the remaster that i'm downloading and it just need to be inside the console?

Maybe i need to install it to read my saves? or the remaster read the saves by itself?

Top Bottom