• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Remake: Download Size : 68.008 GB (Pre-Load : August 26)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Train Hype GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wtf! Compression where?
very odd. TLOU2 was twice as long as this game with way bigger areas, and landed it around 80 GB IIRC. Not sure why this is at 68 GB for a 15 hour mostly linear PS5 only SKU. What happened to kraken compression? Ratchet is only 33 GB. Even Demon Souls which has way better graphics, texture work and larger environments is at 53 GB. Are they even using those oodle poodle textures lol.

Hugare

very odd. TLOU2 was twice as long as this game with way bigger areas, and landed it around 80 GB IIRC. Not sure why this is at 68 GB for a 15 hour mostly linear PS5 only SKU. What happened to kraken compression? Ratchet is only 33 GB. Even Demon Souls which has way better graphics, texture work and larger environments is at 53 GB. Are they even using those oodle poodle textures lol.
More proof that it wasnt really built from the ground up for the PS5, starting as a PS4 project

/jk, but maybe?

Last edited:

Asset quality is probably higher

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

DLC is also included as well.

ChiefDada

DLC was only two hours and two very small Mall levels. I would love to see a BTS of this game. I dont see how this is 2x the size of a next gen looking game like Ratchet.

Ratchet has a cartoonish art style, of course TLOU Pt.1 has larger textures and much more intricate environments as well.

8k textures confirmed.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here, but I wouldn't be surprised if character models are using 8k textures for the skin and clothes during cutscenes. Perhaps some of the building assets as well. The textures are some of the sharpest I've seen in a game yet.

I cant believe sony is not putting this on ps plus... for the gamers am i right? pay 80 euros for this in europe
Seems like the perfect game for a service. I’d get a month of it for this game. And older game that probably heavily used AI to upgrade it, franchise they tryna get out there for the show. Makes too much sense to drop it day one on their new service.

Perrott

Seems like the perfect game for a service. I’d get a month of it for this game. And older game that probably heavily used AI to upgrade it, franchise they tryna get out there for the show. Makes too much sense to drop it day one on their new service.
AI? Are you serious? This thing has been redone by hand in its entirety. It ain't that shitty GTA Trilogy remaster, this has been one of the main projects of Sony's key studio and their motion capture/asset production division (VASG) for the past two years, with preproduction having started long before that.

Might not have been as requested as, say, the Demon's Souls remake, but just as much - if not more - care has been put into The Last Of Us when compared to Bluepoint's latest work.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
More proof that it wasnt really built from the ground up for the PS5, starting as a PS4 project

/jk, but maybe?
So you are assuming Sony wanted to make 2 ps4 remasters of the same ps3 game twice in a generation?

Last edited:
Wtf! Compression where?
It's really not that much. Tlou2 wasn't even 4k and it was like 90 something. This being 60 with more detailed assets means there is compression. This is both the main game and the DLC.

/jk, but maybe?
There's plenty of crossgen games on PS4 and PS5 that are much smaller on PS5 so even if their started as a PS4 project that wouldn't make much sense.

Does this mean that on average the PC version will become available within the next 6 months?
If Uncharted is anything to go by, you can expect it whenever the fuck they feel like releasing it.

For info, Uncharted was supposed to come out soon after the PS5 version which dropped in January. We’re still waiting…

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ratchet has a cartoonish art style, of course TLOU Pt.1 has larger textures and much more intricate environments as well.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here, but I wouldn't be surprised if character models are using 8k textures for the skin and clothes during cutscenes. Perhaps some of the building assets as well. The textures are some of the sharpest I've seen in a game yet.
I was being sarcastic, i think that size is almost always misleading.

I remember when people thought that the bigger the size, the longer\better the game is, ah youth...

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Might not have been as requested as, say, the Demon's Souls remake, but just as much - if not more - care has been put into The Last Of Us when compared to Bluepoint's latest work.
Yeah no. Please don’t compare this cash grab to the flawless work of Bluepoint. TLoU team was so lazy they recreated the scenes shot-by-shot so they don’t have to redo mocap and voice acting or bother to be little creative. Copy and paste is easy. Bluepoint doesn’t do that. They actually give a fuck about the their reputation and the product they are selling.

Yeah no. Please don’t compare this cash grab to the flawless work of Bluepoint. TLoU team was so lazy they recreated the scenes shot-by-shot so they don’t have to redo mocap and voice acting or bother to be little creative. Copy and paste is easy. Bluepoint doesn’t do that. They actually give a fuck about the their reputation and the product they are selling.
Personally, I prefer that they kept it shot for shot. I don't think them chopping/changing/remixing the original would made it any better. And I think they would've run the risk of further dividing the fanbase. I'm glad they didn't mess with the original in that sense.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Personally, I prefer that they kept it shot for shot. I don't think them chopping/changing/remixing the original would made it any better. And I think they would've run the risk of further dividing the fanbase. I'm glad they didn't mess with the original in that sense.
So let me get this straight, it is ok to change the beloved face and facial expression of ellie, tess and joel to make them more old and realistic (and many people didn't liked the change) but it is not ok to add better digital acting, better camera movement etc that make a scene more powerful etc because people could get mad?

This sound almost as ridic...well thought as joel not being able to prone and dodge because he is an old man (that can atill smash to pieces a small army of men all alone of course)

I bet they were not worried about fan backlash when they transformed joel's child face into a fucking alien...

Boy i hope that ND doesn't read gaf or they are gonna lower their standards even more for their next game...

Last edited:
That woulda been fine if they hadn't run their mouth about it having "enhanced exploration and gameplay mechanics". Why did they even go there if the only new mechanic is the damn workbenches?

GymWolf

Gold Member
That woulda been fine if they hadn't run their mouth about it having "enhanced exploration and gameplay mechanics". Why did they even go there if the only new mechanic is the damn workbenches?
The workbench is only a visual improvement, not even gameplay since you can modify the weapons in the first tlou without bench, it adds literally nothing mechanic wise.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
So let me get this straight, it is ok to change the beloved face and facial expression of ellie, tess and joel to make them more old and realistic (and many people didn't liked the change) but it is not ok to add better digital acting, better camera movement etc that make a scene more powerful etc because people could get mad?

This sound almost as ridic...well thought as joel not being able to prone and dodge because he is an old man (that can atill smash to pieces a small army of men all alone of course)
Camera movement is tricky, Gym. Can you imagine telling Hitchcock to use the camera better on the Psycho shower scene for MAXIMUM IMPACT! Storyboards take ages and everything is designed for coherence and with a purpose. Directors try different angles and approaches forever until they get what they want. We need to think that the final piece is what they intended. You never see Director’s Cut fucking with the editing of a scene (except to add or remove long-ish full sequences, mostly to add fully removed scenes).

You shouldn’t touch what works. Camera movement isn’t a technology. It doesn’t need “upgrades”.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Camera movement is tricky, Gym. Can you imagine telling Hitchcock to use the camera better on the Psycho shower scene for MAXIMUM IMPACT! Storyboards take ages and everything is designed for coherence and with a purpose. Directors try different angles and approaches forever until they get what they want. We need to think that the final piece is what they intended. You never see Director’s Cut fucking with the editing of a scene (except to add or remove long-ish full sequences, mostly to add fully removed scenes).

You shouldn’t touch what works. Camera movement isn’t a technology. It doesn’t need “upgrades”.
Yeah but the game is still made by ND, not by turi cutigghiuni...

They improved all their digital acting and camera movements in tlou2 and unch4, many people around the web already noticed that the camera work and digital acting in tlou remake is less bold than tlou2...no shit, ND had 10 years less of experience for the first tlou.

If they were not lazy, the remake would be the better version almost assuredly dude, you know it, i know it.

Whoever think otherwise is basically telling me that they don't have faith in modern ND when it comes to directing cutscenes?? Come the fuck on...

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That's budget restrictions, not laziness.

That's like saying Mass Effect Legacy Edition was pure laziness because they made minor changes to the first 3 Mass Effect games.

CHEROKEEE

Yeah, it would totally make sense if they put a SP Game (that ppl. most likely will beat over a weekend) on a ´6 Bucks a month Service´ instead of selling it separately at full price.... right ?? :messenger_sunglasses:

P.S. I just hope, your post was meant as irony... :messenger_peace:

At this price it deserves to fall flat on its face. Sad fate for one of my favorite games that I would have easily paid another $30 for, now I just don't care. You know, having paid for it twice already .....
lmao...this is going to be one of the biggest sellers in September dude, come on now.

Splatoon 3 might do bigger numbers...Fifa i'm not so sure since it releases in the last day of the month, but TLOU Remake is one of the month's biggest releases by far.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
At this price it deserves to fall flat on its face. Sad fate for one of my favorite games that I would have easily paid another $30 for, now I just don't care. You know, having paid for it twice already .....
Sad fate?

This remake has a very small budget. Selling over 2 million copies within the first year would be big.

People shouldn't bet on this game failing at all.

Sad fate?

This remake has a very small budget. Selling over 2 million copies within the first year would be big.

People shouldn't bet on this game failing at all.
No way this is just selling 2M in a year. Not with the TV show happening and PC version on the way. This is selling at least 1M during its first month if anything.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No way this is just selling 2M in a year. Not with the TV show happening and PC version on the way. This is selling at least 1M during its first month if anything.
I'm not saying it will sell only 2 million, but anything over 2 million would be a success.

Top Bottom