• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Remake: Download Size : 68.008 GB (Pre-Load : August 26)

tommib

Gold Member
Not sure if you're kidding or not but...i'm thinking on preordering it so that i can play it at midnight, when i could simply buy the physical version for 67€ here in Portugal.
I'm an idiot. I deserve a company like Sony, lol.
I only pre-ordered because I have a digital PS5. Just wait for your Worten copy, my friend. 12 euros difference is no joke if you have the disc version.

So let me get this straight, it is ok to change the beloved face and facial expression of ellie, tess and joel to make them more old and realistic (and many people didn't liked the change) but it is not ok to add better digital acting, better camera movement etc that make a scene more powerful etc because people could get mad?
Different strokes for different folks but those changes, I don't mind at all. There mightve been other changes they could've made but I'm fine with what they've change. It's a matter of preference after all...

Topher

Gold Member
1 dollar for 1GB

Can I think the game is overpriced and already have it preordered at the same time?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SlimySnake SlimySnake forgive me for I have pre ordered and pre loaded

Despite not liking tlou2 that much, the first is still a masterpiece and even if it looks like tlou2 with slightly higher Rez, at least I’ll want to replay it unlike part 2
lol thats ok. Let me know what you think. I will get it when it comes to PC. GMG and CD Keys typically have preorder sales around $40-45.

Sad fate?

This remake has a very small budget. Selling over 2 million copies within the first year would be big.

People shouldn't bet on this game failing at all.
I wouldn’t bet that it fails but I’d like to see Sony say that it didn’t meet their commercial expectations. This is a remake of a relatively recent game and it’s £70. I want to see more original games, not remakes of new games. Not to mention it has been remastered already.

Anyone coming in with the ‘but it’s their original vision’. No I don’t believe that for a second, it’s a quick way to make money.

Filldo

So let me get this straight, it is ok to change the beloved face and facial expression of ellie, tess and joel to make them more old and realistic (and many people didn't liked the change) but it is not ok to add better digital acting, better camera movement etc that make a scene more powerful etc because people could get mad?

This sound almost as ridic...well thought as joel not being able to prone and dodge because he is an old man (that can atill smash to pieces a small army of men all alone of course)

I bet they were not worried about fan backlash when they transformed joel's child face into a fucking alien...

Boy i hope that ND doesn't read gaf or they are gonna lower their standards even more for their next game...
Beloved face and facial expressions? Oooh kaaay…

Topher

Gold Member
I wouldn’t bet that it fails but I’d like to see Sony say that it didn’t meet their commercial expectations. This is a remake of a relatively recent game and it’s £70. I want to see more original games, not remakes of new games. Not to mention it has been remastered already.

Anyone coming in with the ‘but it’s their original vision’. No I don’t believe that for a second, it’s a quick way to make money.

Personally I'd love to see some older games remade. Infamous automatically comes to mind, but I doubt that will happen. Older Ratchet and Clank titles would be pretty cool just like Insomniac did with the first game. Uncharted? Heck yeah. So no, I don't want to see this fail. Last time I played TLOU was on the PS3. I've forgotten more than I remember about the game in that time so I'm pretty excited about playing it again with TLOU 2 visuals. As far as making money, that's what these companies do. Is it overpriced? Yeah, probably. Am I buying anyway? Yep, so I really can't complain. I have no problem with people voting with their wallets. Let the market decide.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Beloved face and facial expressions? Oooh kaaay…
Oh i don't give a fuck, but you can read the past topics when they showed ellie or joel or tess for the first time and some people were mad because they look older\different.

It still Doesn't sound any more ridicolous than beloved camera movement\character positioning if you ask me, especially when we have proof that tlou2 has better and bold direction for the cutscenes so if they had touched the remake it would have been even better than the original game most assuredly.

Last edited:

Loxus

very odd. TLOU2 was twice as long as this game with way bigger areas, and landed it around 80 GB IIRC. Not sure why this is at 68 GB for a 15 hour mostly linear PS5 only SKU. What happened to kraken compression? Ratchet is only 33 GB. Even Demon Souls which has way better graphics, texture work and larger environments is at 53 GB. Are they even using those oodle poodle textures lol.
How do you know it isn't already using Kraken Decompression? There isn't any other version to compare and say it isn't already compressed.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

This is where the gamers really shine. Bitch about this game for months. It looks the same, not enough new, the original version is better, I can’t believe this is $70, and on and on.

Then you all line up to buy it day one. Dominos already falling in this thread.

Lol, was thinking the exact same thing. They even pre ordered it before me, someone who's been stanning the game nonstop, which is fucking wild and hilarious. I mean, if I had the same sentiments they've been preaching for the past few months, I wouldn't buy the game, let alone preorder it.

This is where the gamers really shine. Bitch about this game for months. It looks the same, not enough new, the original version is better, I can’t believe this is $70, and on and on.

The bar this year is really low

Nothing from Microsoft or Nintendo literally all year

Sony’s had a good year in comparison, but there’s no third parties I want at all this fall, so I have basically TLOU 1 and GOW:R and that’s it

I still think they could have been much more ambitious on this remake, but it’s still a classic game and it looks and plays better now

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member

Sony’s had a good year in comparison, but there’s no third parties I want at all this fall, so I have basically TLOU 1 and GOW:R and that’s it

I still think they could have been much more ambitious on this remake, but it’s still a classic game and it looks and plays better now
No Callisto?

Bartski

Gold Member

BowedBeneficialFinwhale-max-1mb.gif

TexMex

There are countless amazing games you haven’t played. Every game doesn’t have to have just been released. This is a horrible reason to buy it if you think it looks bad/not worth $70 (not saying this applies to you, doesn’t sound like it does).

There are countless amazing games you haven’t played. Every game doesn’t have to have just been released. This is a horrible reason to buy it if you think it looks bad/not worth $70 (not saying this applies to you, doesn’t sound like it does).

I don’t think it looks bad

I just don’t like the precedent it sets

Maybe there are amazing games for others, not for my tastes though. This year outside of Sony first party and elden ring is pretty sparse

TexMex

I don’t think it looks bad

I just don’t like the precedent it sets

Maybe there are amazing games for others, not for my tastes though. This year outside of Sony first party and elden ring is pretty sparse

I don’t even mean released in 2022. Surely there are countless games you haven’t played but want to? Unless you’re basically the only person here without a backlog of any kind, then sure.

THE DUCK

Banned
Sad fate?

This remake has a very small budget. Selling over 2 million copies within the first year would be big.

People shouldn't bet on this game failing at all.

No I know realistically it will do ok, just wish Sony had gone another way. Bitter beaver is me. Sony is going to call it a win regardless of sales since it cost a lot less than a game from scratch to make.

Last edited:

Perrott

Yeah no. Please don’t compare this cash grab to the flawless work of Bluepoint. TLoU team was so lazy they recreated the scenes shot-by-shot so they don’t have to redo mocap and voice acting or bother to be little creative. Copy and paste is easy. Bluepoint doesn’t do that. They actually give a fuck about the their reputation and the product they are selling.
Are you a moron? Why would they change any of the performance capture of TLOU when none of that was obsolete nor could have been done any better? We're talking about a modern game that was at the cutting edge of performance capture when it released the same year the PS4 came out. You don't fix what's not broken, but even then they went the extra mile and hand animated tons of more subtle expressions and gestures into the character's face and body animations during cutscenes.

Also, its funny how you talk about copying and pasting and how Bluepoint doesn't do that, when across both Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls they did have the entire original code running in the background and handling the game logic, physics, collisions, etc, etc, under the fresh coat of assets and rendering technology provided by the Bluepoint engine. They didn't re-do any animations either, that's why those two games play exactly like the originals.

Skifi28

They didn't re-do any animations either
That's 100% wrong at least for Demon's souls, all animations were completely redone and they even added new unique ones for weapon types. They just made sure they are exactly as long as the originals in order to not alter gameplay.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I don’t even mean released in 2022. Surely there are countless games you haven’t played but want to? Unless you’re basically the only person here without a backlog of any kind, then sure.
If there is something in his backlog that literally means he didnt like it enough to play it BACK then. Why would he play it now?

I am sitting here looking at Elden Rings, Cyberpunk, Mafia Remake, Halo Infinite, Deathloop, Guardians, CoD Vanguard, Avengers and I dont want to play ANY of those games. Even if i force myself to give them a try, i am bored in ten minutes. They are in my backlog for a reason. I couldnt care less about them.

This year has simply sucked. Two big releases at the start of the year and since then nothing. Fall is empty. Harry Potter looked good but god delayed. Starfield looked good but god delayed. GOW is pretty much the only big AAA game left aside from MW3. Calisto Protocol looks like a B game. Gotham knights looks like a B game. TLOU despite its last gen roots still looks like an AAA game.

TexMex

If there is something in his backlog that literally means he didnt like it enough to play it BACK then. Why would he play it now?

Are you telling me you’ve played every single game in your backlog and have an opinion on it? You have played absolutely everything you have any interest in to this point, and are in a position where you can only play new releases moving forward?

SlimySnake

Are you telling me you’ve played every single game in your backlog and have an opinion on it? You have played absolutely everything you have any interest in to this point, and are in a position where you can only play new releases moving forward?
Yes? Why wouldnt I play something I have an interest in?

If someone is telling you that they have no interest in any games coming out, why would you bring up older games that they had no interest in playing?

Last edited:

TexMex

Yes? Why wouldnt I play something I have an interest in?

Perhaps a finite amount of free time? Glad you’re able to consume it all though!

And are you asking….why suggest someone work on their backlog in a time of no new releases? I mean idk since you’ve basically told me here the entire concept of having a backlog is impossible, since you/anyone would play literally every game you’ve been interested in ever at this point so I’m not sure how to answer that.

skneogaf

The way I justify games like this is will it last 70 hours therefore 1 earth credit per hour of play.

Eventually I will hit 70 hours played if and when I buy this but I can't remember it being a long game like 2 is.

Sony has become so GD greedy this gen. $70 games, charging more than other companies for next gen updates that don't have much work put into them (GoT), cross gen games that shoulda been ps5 showcases, raising the price of ps5 in certain regions, and charging $70 for this without offering a discount to the fans who've already bought Last of Us twice.

Sony has become so GD greedy this gen. $70 games, charging more than other companies for next gen updates that don't have much work put into them (GoT), cross gen games that shoulda been ps5 showcases, raising the price of ps5 in certain regions, and charging $70 for this without offering a discount to the fans who've already bought Last of Us twice.
Yea Sony should do what other publishers are doing and stop investing in AAA single player games.

Take MS for example, they didn't need to charge $70 to release all the games that they are releasing in 2022. As Dusk Falls went for only $30 and Pentiment will cost only $20.

Last edited:
Top Bottom