• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Majora is still Nintendo's greatest, most malevolent villain, a being of pure sadism wrapped in a shell of contradictions.

Ganon is nothing compared to it.

effzee

Mama Robotnik said:
Majora is still Nintendo's greatest, most malevolent villain, a being of pure sadism wrapped in a shell of contradictions.

Ganon is nothing compared to it.

And Majora's Mask is to me the best Zelda game ever created. Nothing matches the perfect balance of exploration, puzzles, dungeons, bosses, story, and NPC's that actually mattered and played a huge role in the story. And the whole 3 days, time rewind, the moon, and masks! So fucking awesome. Seriously if this game was released before OOT or wasn't just looked as a direct sequel I think it would be praised far more. What an amazing achievement in gaming.

effzee

Tyeforce said:
On the subject of Zelda timelines...

/ — TWW/PH — ST
SS — TMC — FS/FSA — OoT
               \MM — TP — ALttP/LA — TLoZ/TAoL — OoS/OoA

That's my timeline. It's explain a bit in this video with annotations, and I plan on making a very in-depth finished timeline video before Skyward Sword comes out.

Sweet look forward to this. I haven't played the 2D handheld Zelda games and would love to see an explanation of the timeline since I never really understood or thought there even was one.

Favorite Zelda Game: Majora's Mask, followed closely by Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. Best three games in the series in my book.
Favorite Dungeon: I don't remember enough about the dungeons in the games. It's been too long, sadly. :(
Favorite Boss: Snowhead Temple's boss in MM used to be my favorite, but then it switched to a tie between the final Majora fight and the Ganondorf fight in Wind Waker.

Yeah, even if it's another remake, I'd be so down for a Majora's Mask 3D. I've only played the busted GameCube version and I don't think I ever finished it (made it through the four dungeons so if I didn't, I'm dumb). What I would really, really, really hope for, is some kind of Heart Piece locator, like the fortune teller from Twilight Princess, having eighty heart pieces to locate was stressful to me, heh.

Best sidekick:

fi-manly.png

fi-zelda-1.png

AniHawk

Favorite Zelda Game: twilight princess. best dungeon design in the series
Favorite Dungeon: city in the sky. best dungeon in the series.
Favorite Boss: oot's ganon. not... the best boss fight in the series, but the most memorable. this one is here purely thanks to its amazing presentation.

The Lamp

effzee said:
And Majora's Mask is to me the best Zelda game ever created. Nothing matches the perfect balance of exploration, puzzles, dungeons, bosses, story, and NPC's that actually mattered and played a huge role in the story. And the whole 3 days, time rewind, the moon, and masks! So fucking awesome. Seriously if this game was released before OOT or wasn't just looked as a direct sequel I think it would be praised far more. What an amazing achievement in gaming.

Yeah I don't think even Skyward Sword has strayed so far from the Zelda cliche' as Majora's Mask did......I miss that game :C

Anth0ny

The Lamp said:
Yeah I don't think even Skyward Sword has strayed so far from the Zelda cliche' as Majora's Mask did......I miss that game :C

Yet it got bashed for that very same reason.

MM was ahead of it's time. They should have whored out OOT while it was hot rather than change the formula so rapidly. Now everyone wants change, back then all they wanted was more OOT.

Best Zelda Game: Has to be Wind Waker. If it had excised the Triforce Hunt and added a dungeon or two, it would be one of the finest games ever created.
Best Dungeon: Arbiters Grounds. Love a Spinner.
Best Boss: Argorok (City in the Sky) So EPIC.

Gravijah

Best Zelda: twilight princess/alttp you can't make me choose.
Best Dungeon: probably city in the sky
Best Boss: goht or stallord or blizzeta or argorok or majora

Boney

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Yet it got bashed for that very same reason.

MM was ahead of it's time. They should have whored out OOT while it was hot rather than change the formula so rapidly. Now everyone wants change, back then all they wanted was more OOT.
I don't "bash" it for being so different in structure, but it's design isn't appealing to me.

Forkball

KATSUYA TERADA INCOMING
1173168663372.jpg

1173168686467.jpg

1173168708079.jpg

1173168788505.jpg

1173168808773.jpg

1173168876118.jpg

1173168998359.jpg

1173168974427.jpg

1173169057567.jpg

z3-link-in-dungeon.jpg

2009-10-14_image1.jpg

2009-10-14_image5.jpg

2009-10-14_image6.jpg

OoT is the best Zelda, Gharahahifhahaim sucks, and Aonuma ruined the timeline.

I'm done here.

Synless

I've been meaning to get this off my chest. The new Zelda is the ugly as fuck, especially after the super hot TP Zelda.

Medalion

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I take it you missed the epic thread then?

fBqRV.png

I like the art in the Nintendo Power Zelda comics.
Nope, I recall the thread... and that Zelda Williams tweeted about NEOGAF several times

Kjellson

Best Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Best Dungeon: City in the Sky
Best Boss: Argorok
Most Overrated Zelda: A Link to the Past

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
basically because you suck.
No, I think the 3 day system is a wonderful idea, from a scenario perspective. But I do have issues with it when it comes to designing the game. Focuses on sidequests, which are hard to find and get started as well as following some up, without a guide it's pretty hard to know where and when do you have to be. Pacing is also dictated by the 3 day system, making you choose on weather to follow up on sidequests (which you can reach a dead end if you don't have everything necesary) or tackle the main game and dungeons that also lead to new sidequests.

I get that the game's theme is repetition, but it wears thin on me, and tries to fix it with bite sized quests most of the time. The other theme, healing is marvelously done, second to none in the medium, it's emotionally draining for sure. Just wonderful.

But with it, comes the idea of transformation masks, which I'm not a big fan of. All this seperate new mechanics, only lead to a much more segmented series of puzzles and gameplay aspects. Not sure if I'm explaining myself well, think a good parallel is the spinner from TP.

I'm glad it exists, has a distinct flavour of it's own, but people crying foul on Zelda's "traditional" aspect, just rub me the wrong way. Tradional, can be have a take on it's own like WW shows, which lots of people just confuse it by just being a unique visual flavour and an "unfinished project".

Jzero

Synless said:
I've been meaning to get this off my chest. The new Zelda is the ugly as fuck, especially after the super hot TP Zelda.
I think it's the fucken hair, no girl(real or in game) (that i can remember) looks good with bangs.

Synless

AceBandage said:
Disagree.
Skyward-Sword-Zelda1-300x265.png
No, just no. She looks like some average plain Jane, nothing special about her at all.

It's the hair, the nose, and dat mouth, each of those features makes her ugly.

Gravijah

AceBandage said:

yes. i am happy.

Boney said:
No, I think the 3 day system is a wonderful idea, from a scenario perspective. But I do have issues with it when it comes to designing the game. Focuses on sidequests, which are hard to find and get started as well as following some up, without a guide it's pretty hard to know where and when do you have to be. Pacing is also dictated by the 3 day system, making you choose on weather to follow up on sidequests (which you can reach a dead end if you don't have everything necesary) or tackle the main game and dungeons that also lead to new sidequests.

I get that the game's theme is repetition, but it wears thin on me, and tries to fix it with bite sized quests most of the time. The other theme, healing is marvelously done, second to none in the medium, it's emotionally draining for sure. Just wonderful.

But with it, comes the idea of transformation masks, which I'm not a big fan of. All this seperate new mechanics, only lead to a much more segmented series of puzzles and gameplay aspects. Not sure if I'm explaining myself well, think a good parallel is the spinner from TP.

I'm glad it exists, has a distinct flavour of it's own, but people crying foul on Zelda's "traditional" aspect, just rub me the wrong way. Tradional, can be have a take on it's own like WW shows, which lots of people just confuse it by just being a unique visual flavour and an "unfinished project".

basically, how you play MM is

beat the 3rd dungeon ->do all the sidequests-> play the rest of the game

when i played it, there was very little actual repetition.

Top Bottom