• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Synless said:
No, just no. She looks like some average plain Jane, nothing special about her at all.
the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20110928071931877_640w.jpg

Pachimari

I really want to love this series, but I guess it's just not meant to be. =(

I tried Ocarina of Time for the first time on Gamecube but got stuck before I could get out of town, as I didn't understand a thing. Wind Waker I got the same day and I really loved the art and graphics and the whole mood of it but just after arriving at the first Island by boat, I stopped playing. Then Twilight Princess came by, and again I really liked the horse riding and more realistic approach as well as the fishing and grapchis before the launch (as I got to play it beforehand) but then came the release and I were quickly bored again. Now I'm sitting with OoT 3D and I'm stuck at the same place, can't find the sword, have no money for a shield. Yet, I find the latest Skyward Sword trailer charming and I instantly want to love the series.

=;(

New Zelda looks amazing and fits her character. It's cool to see a new take on her.

And Majora's Mask is Godly. Easily my Favorite entry, and since Zelda is my favorite series, a candidate for my personal best game of all time. Nothing beats the small, heartrending character moments from that game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I like Zelda's look completely, bangs and all. She looks different and good. I am positive that almost everyone who isnt too enthused about her right now will love her by the end of SS.

Now Fi on the other hand I am not really hot on her looks. Theres something about her face thats just bland, and its not the fact that its just a blue marble looking thing. Also how is her named pronounced, Fy or Fee?

Anastacio said:

I tried Ocarina of Time for the first time on Gamecube but got stuck before I could get out of town, as I didn't understand a thing. Wind Waker I got the same day and I really loved the art and graphics and the whole mood of it but just after arriving at the first Island by boat, I stopped playing. Then Twilight Princess came by, and again I really liked the horse riding and more realistic approach as well as the fishing and grapchis before the launch (as I got to play it beforehand) but then came the release and I were quickly bored again. Now I'm sitting with OoT 3D and I'm stuck at the same place, can't find the sword, have no money for a shield. Yet, I find the latest Skyward Sword trailer charming and I instantly want to love the series.

=;(
If you're attracted to experiencing the ambiance and thematic elements of the games use a guide when you get stuck, no shame in it.

Alrus

Anastacio said:

Err, I don't mean to be rude, but have you even spent more than 5 min looking around the village to get the items necessary to go on? And there's rupees all over the place, there's no way you would be lacking money and not be able to find enough in more than 10 minutes.

The series is partially about exploration and finding out stuff for yourself. If you don't like that kind of "freedom", it's just not for you...

Heck OoT 3D has a system that shows you where the sword is and solves puzzles for you if you're stuck (the Sheikah stones).

Gravijah

Enduin said:
I like Zelda's look completely, bangs and all. She looks different and good. I am positive that almost everyone who isnt too enthused about her right now will love her by the end of SS.

Now Fi on the other hand I am not really hot on her looks. Theres something about her face thats just bland, and its not the fact that its just a blue marble looking thing. Also how is her named pronounced, Fy or Fee?

what the heck, don't hate on fi. she looks great.

Enduin said:

I don't know but I got shit on in the other thread just for asking the question, 'cuz apparently it's SOOOO obvious (it's not).

Pachimari

I have been collecting a lot of rupees, I guess I'm doing it wrong at the shop.
I can't use the first Sheikah stone yet.

Anyway, I'll look into it again when I got time, I got 14 games to review.

Forkball

So the red headed guy (Bado?) is Link's bully right? One of these things will happen:

A) He picks on Link but then eventually has a change of heart and joins him
B) He helps the bad guy
C) He helps the bad guy and regrets it, then has a change of heart and joins Link

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A bunch of SS gif at the beginning makes me feel this thread isn't safe for me until I've finish the game. I'll pop back in the future if this still lives.

Gravijah

Forkball said:
So the red headed guy (Bado?) is Link's bully right? One of these things will happen:

A) He picks on Link but then eventually has a change of heart and joins him
B) He helps the bad guy
C) He helps the bad guy and regrets it, then has a change of heart and joins Link

link kills him and has to leave skyloft forever

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
shadyspace said:
I don't know but I got shit on in the other thread just for asking the question, 'cuz apparently it's SOOOO obvious (it's not).

Well my last name is Fee, so Fi to me should be pronounced Fy but Im tripped up cause on the show Burn Notice the girl Fi is pronounced Fee. And I've heard people pronounce it both ways, though the majority seem to be using Fi(Fy). I just havent been able to find a Nintendo rep saying the name in a vid to end the debate.

Gravijah said:
what the heck, don't hate on fi. she looks great.

Im not hating on her, just theres something bland about her face where I feel like there should be something more striking, but Im guessing its somewhat average looking given her personality is supposed to be rather robotic and spartan-esq.

Favorite game: Ocarina of Time
favorite dungeon: Arbiter's Grounds or OoT Forest Temple
favorite bosse: Zant keeps leaping to mind so clearly his fight was doing something right.

And since it seems to be a popular topic
Best Zelda: Potentially Skyward Sword, may be too early to tell though

and on a similar note
Best Link: Wind Waker
Best Ganondorf: Twilight Princess

Hooray for lists

Gravijah

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
You guys need to shut the fuck up. Skyward Sword's Zelda design blows every other one out of the water. No competition.

351px-Link_To_The_Past_Remake_-_Princess_Zelda.png

competition

also tp zelda has a sword so yeah you can't beat swords.

Rehynn

Synless said:
I've been meaning to get this off my chest. The new Zelda is the ugly as fuck, especially after the super hot TP Zelda.

Don't you dare talk shit about Cate Blanchett.

Anyway, can anybody tell me how Ahoi-Brause finally ended up getting banned? I know he basically called Aonuma a madman and whatnot, but I wasn't there to see the end.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
shadyspace said:
I'm very interested in finding out why she talks like a fuckin' robot.

For now I picture her like Justice from Dragon Age Awakening, created by one of the Goddesses to combat evil, we know she/the sword turns into the mastersword which is Evil's Bane so I feel like shes the embodiment of Good and Justice so shes kind of black and white in terms of morality and personality which can come off as robotic.

Rehynn said:
Don't you dare talk shit about Cate Blanchett.

Anyway, can anybody tell me how Ahoi-Brause finally ended up getting banned? I know he basically called Aonuma a madman and whatnot, but I wasn't there to see the end.
Was he the guy who kept bitching that Zelda wasn't basically Demon's Souls?

Enduin said:
For now I picture her like Justice from Dragon Age Awakening, created by one of the Goddesses to combat evil, we know she/the sword turns into the mastersword which is Evil's Bane so I feel like shes the embodiment of Good and Justice so shes kind of black and white in terms of morality and personality which can come off as robotic.
Maybe she's from the future.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
shadyspace said:
Maybe she's from the future.

Could be, could be...

I just had this though that it would be awesome and hilarious if at the end of the game they flooded the world, Fi was like "this place is f'd lets drown this bitch." Just a big old "figure this fucking mess out timeline fans" from Nintendo.

CassSept

Tyeforce said:
The only game in the Four Sword series that really has a lot of connections to ALttP is FSA, and only because it was originally going to be a prequel to ALttP. It even used ALttP sprites at first. But during its development, Miyamoto upended the tea table (of course), and its story was changed drastically. Of course, because the game was built around the idea of it being a prequel to ALttP, many of those connections remain in the game.
Oh, I'll admit I didn't know that. Makes sense I guess and explains a lot

Boney said:
Uh, not when adult link is sleeping.
When the game ends, Link gets back to being a child, loses Navi and goes to Termina to find her. There is no adult Link here.
I know, maybe my post was a little.. convoluted. I mean relatively, MM in child timeline is about the same time as Link sleeping in adult timeline... ah, screw it.

Chiming in...
Favourite Zelda: tough call, but I'd say Wind Waker due to my personal connection to the game
Favourite Dungeon: Snowpeak Ruins
Favourite Boss: hmmm, another tough one, but I'd say Stallord. It's a shame there is no way to refight bosses in Twilight Princess

Skyward Sword's design for Zelda is actually the first Zelda design I actually actively like.

I've never "disliked" any Zelda.. but she's always just been, sure, whatever.

I actually genuinly like SS Zelda.

I hope she'll be in the next Smash Brothers.

Gravijah

Neoriceisgood said:
Skyward Sword's design for Zelda is actually the first Zelda design I actually actively like.

I've never "disliked" any Zelda.. but she's always just been, sure, whatever.

I actually genuinly like SS Zelda.

I hope she'll be in the next Smash Brothers.

only if it means we get sheik in this art style.

Rehynn

shadyspace said:
Was he the guy who kept bitching that Zelda wasn't basically Demon's Souls?

I'm not sure, but he always whined about 3D Zelda being a disaster and Aonuma being a control freak and so on. He did it in pretty much every Zelda thread.

Kjellson, thanks for the link.
EDIT: Just finished reading the thread... the guy really had it coming.

ASIS

GAF REALLY doesn't learn from it's past mistakes does it? Zelda is design with an idea behind her. Read this:

"One of the things that I said before was that she is supposed to be Link’s childhood friends, so we tried to give her a design that made her feel sort of relatable and have that warmth to her. But at the same time as you venture deeper into the story, you find a different side to her. She’s this sweet childhood friend you have in the beginning, but as the story progresses and the gravity of the situation increases, she becomes someone who has a different side to her–someone who’s willing to face the tremendous fate that’s been placed on her shoulders. So that’s something we tried to incorporate into the design of who she is."

So yes, what we have seen so far IS NOT the final look of Zelda in this game. CHILL PEOPLE.

Personally I love the way she looks in the beginning, there's a great sense of normality to it.

I thought this was worthy of posting in here. IGN casted a poll on the great voice acting debate. Sorry no, it's not another hilarious 'what Zelda could learn', but it is telling of the times.

Over 80% want some form of VA. 50% do not want Link to talk, while 20% want all characters voiced.

Source:IGN

I would agree with the 50%. I wouldn't mind VA, as long as Link remains silent. I would prefer text with all characters speaking a gibberish language, but full VA would be fine with me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey guys what's going on in this thr---

Cow Mengde said:
Why do you want nude pictures of Eiji Aonuma?
;//

Aaaaanyway...
Favourite Zelda Game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, with Link's Awakening following closely behind. I have written a little bit on why I like Majora's Mask a lot here and here.

Favourite Dungeon: Stone Tower Temple, but I will admit that Twilight Princess contains a lot of really well-designed temples. I hope Skyward Sword follows in its footsteps.

Favourite Boss: That's a toughie. I want to say Majora or Blizzeta, but then I think about Zant, Twinmold (without the Giant's Mask and only using regular arrows (not the fire/ice arrows which also works)), Goht, Argorok, The Wind Waker Ganon, and AoL's Dark Link. I dunno.

Bonus: 10 Favourite Zelda BGM (not in any order):
The Wind Waker - Staff Credits
Majora's Mask - Last End
A Link to the Past - Sanctuary Dungeon
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Temple BGM
Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley
A Link to the Past - Opening Demo
The Wind Waker - Dragon Roost Island
Ocarina of Time - Forest Temple
The Minish Cap - Palace of Winds
Link's Awakening - Ballad of the Wind Fish

Bonus: The Legend of Zelda/Link's Awakening DX - Underworld/Colour Dungeon

Also, yay Zelda art:

JgExq.jpg

Risk Breaker said:
Hmmm... why is a thread called "Community Thread" not on the Community section?

Just sayin'!

Read threads to uncover wondrous information about the threads

(2 days on main page for exposure)

Codeblue

I also thought Twilight Princess Zelda was best Zelda. I don't dislike this one though. I didn't even know she was Zelda until this thread.

Dark Schala said:
Hey guys what's going on in this thr---

;//

Aaaaanyway...
Favourite Zelda Game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, with Link's Awakening following closely behind. I have written a little bit on why I like Majora's Mask a lot here and here.

Favourite Dungeon: Stone Tower Temple, but I will admit that Twilight Princess contains a lot of really well-designed temples. I hope Skyward Sword follows in its footsteps.

Favourite Boss: That's a toughie. I want to say Majora or Blizzeta, but then I think about Zant, Twinmold (without the Giant's Mask and only using regular arrows (not the fire/ice arrows which also works)), Goht, Argorok, The Wind Waker Ganon, and AoL's Dark Link. I dunno.

Bonus: 10 Favourite Zelda BGM (not in any order):
The Wind Waker - Staff Credits
Majora's Mask - Last End
A Link to the Past - Sanctuary Dungeon
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Temple BGM
Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley
A Link to the Past - Opening Demo
The Wind Waker - Dragon Roost Island
Ocarina of Time - Forest Temple
The Minish Cap - Palace of Winds
Link's Awakening - Ballad of the Wind Fish

Bonus: The Legend of Zelda/Link's Awakening DX - Underworld/Colour Dungeon

Also, yay Zelda art:

http://i.imgur.com/JgExq.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
I approve of everything in this post.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6M9ej.gif
Risk Breaker said:
Hmmm... why is a thread called "Community Thread" not on the Community section?

Just sayin'!
Nirolak explained it on the first page.

Just sayin'!

Top Bottom