• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |OT|

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think Skyrim was the last game where I could sink so easily, & endlessly, in to the side quests.

My last 10 of gameplay have focussed on
farming Dragon, Hinox & Lynel materials to fully upgrade the Fierce Deity set, building my own house & acquiring Zelda’s horse.

It’s all just so effortless, fulfilling and easy.

Currently sat on 70 hours played & 2 dungeons completed. I’m only just starting to explore Eldin & I’ve not even stepped foot in to the Gerudo Highlands or Desert yet. Barely scratched the depths, and still a lot to explore in the sky.

Game gives me such strong adventurer vibes, like Uncharted & Indiana Jones.

20 hours in, and so far not enjoying myself. Hate building things and the controls are a pain, and the melee combat is probably the worst i have played in years. Really annoying how clunky the UI is when it's a huge part of the game, and i'm not a fan of that as well.
Wich game are you playing?

zeldaring

Banned
Wich game are you playing

Gonna give 15 more hours, hopefully it clicks. I guess it doesn't help it's my first time using a switch and mainly playing in handheld mode in one the most complicated/clunky to control games of all time. I just avoid combat cause it just not fun, and have to grind for weapons and fuse weapons to make stupid looking weapons for no reason for melee weapons especially. Enemies and spongy as hell. combat is just awful.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gonna give 15 more hours, hopefully it clicks. I guess it doesn't help it's my first time using a switch and mainly playing in handheld mode in one the most complicated/clunky to control games of all time. I just avoid combat cause it just not fun, and have to grind for weapons and fuse weapons to make stupid looking weapons for no reason for melee weapons especially. Enemies and spongy as hell. combat is just awful.

Wow, he went on forever describing how he kept throwing a weapon when using ultra hand. Reason why and how it should be fixed. I have never had that problem. Only thing I agree with him is getting rid of the whistle action button. Everyone's least and rarely used button. I only ever used it by accident. :messenger_beaming:

Edit: Don't know how anyone can play this handheld. I tried on BotW, I couldn't do it just so much going on during battles. TotK I didn't even try.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Wow, he went on forever describing how he kept throwing a weapon when using ultra hand. Reason why and how it should be fixed. I have never had that problem. Only thing I agree with him is getting rid of the whistle action button. Everyone's least and rarely used button. I only ever used it by accident. :messenger_beaming:

Edit: Don't know how anyone can play this handheld. I tried on BotW, I couldn't do it just so much going on during battles. TotK I didn't even try.
LOL that keeps happening to me. Especially since i was playing Elden Ring before and and i'm mainly a ps5 user. Yea playing in handheld sucks but i can only play at work lol. I also hate how clunky the controls are for ultra hand, from to the rotation to camera angles it's just not fun for me, and i just don't like building things.

Hardensoul

LOL that keeps happening to me. Especially since i was playing Elden Ring before and and i'm mainly a ps5 user. Yea playing in handheld sucks but i can only play at work lol. I also hate how clunky the controls are for ultra hand, from to the rotation to camera angles it's just not fun for me, and i just don't like building things.
I know how that can be done when using ultra hand. I you hit any button before hitting R. Those buttons cancel Ultra hand and then you hit R you begin to throw the weapon. That's user error. The non direction action buttons except A cancels ultra hand. I kind of like the different ways to cancel Ultra hand. Just tested it, this is also the same with Recall and Ascend abilities.

It's been so long I probably did the same, but have gotten so use to the controls that I don't have those issues. Not saying those aren't issues. Hell I still sometimes accidently hit crouch on the stick when things get hairy. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Tip if you need quick rebalance/level of items during ultra hand building hit ZL.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I know how that can be done when using ultra hand. I you hit any button before hitting R. Those buttons cancel Ultra hand and then you hit R you begin to throw the weapon. That's user error. The non direction action buttons except A cancels ultra hand. I kind of like the different ways to cancel Ultra hand. Just tested it, this is also the same with Recall and Ascend abilities.

It's been so long I probably did the same, but have gotten so use to the controls that I don't have those issues. Not saying those aren't issues. Hell I still sometimes accidently hit crouch on the stick when things get hairy. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Tip if you need quick rebalance/level of items during ultra hand building hit ZL.
I think part is of the problem is this is my first time actually using a switch in handheld mode, and i'm not really good at games with complicated controls and this is by far the most complicated control scheme i i have ever played. I also just wanna play the game and not be stuck in menus but this game is very annoying if you wanna heal enter menu, wanna fight enter menus, to change weapons and now fuse, cooking, taking parts out, it's just not fun for me. 15 more hours if i don't enjoy it, just gonna sell it.

Marvel14

Banned
20 hours in, and so far not enjoying myself. Hate building things and the controls are a pain, and the melee combat is probably the worst i have played in years. Really annoying how clunky the UI is when it's a huge part of the game, and i'm not a fan of that as well.
Dude if you're not having fun after 10-15 hours you should just give it a rest.

Stop and come back maybe in a few months. You risk really hating it if you force yourself to play.

I put it down about 100 hours in and have had no desire to pick it back up - idk I feel like I soured on the game slightly towards the end there. Physics are great - building is great - but it started to feel like a chore
100 hours is not bad for any game!
But I can see how once you've done the explore, sidequest, mainquest, collect, battle, glyph, puzzle solve cycle often enough you might have reached your enjoyment limit.

FunkMiller

Have finally put the game down after covering as much as I felt I wanted to. Still got a good dozen side missions to finish, but it's starting to feel a bit like pointless busywork now. I'm at 160 hours with absolutely everything ticked off other than those few side missions.

Easily the best game of this year, one of the best games on the Switch, and now probably in my overall top ten of all time.

Will pick back up when some DLC comes out, and may go back to BotW as well as haven't picked that up since 2017, and never completed it as much as ToTK.

Freeman76

My kids bought their switch on holiday and this was in it. I wasnt gna play it until new hardware is out but yesterday it rained aaaaall day so we had a day indoors, and I fired this up.

Man, the sky island was incredible. The creation stuff is so clever, i was constantly impressed. Hit the mainland and it seems less so, but im not far in yet and hopefully more creative stuff is hidden away.

Mindblowingly good start though.

zeldaring

Banned
Dude if you're not having fun after 10-15 hours you should just give it a rest.

Stop and come back maybe in a few months. You risk really hating it if you force yourself to play.

100 hours is not bad for any game!
But I can see how once you've done the explore, sidequest, mainquest, collect, battle, glyph, puzzle solve cycle often enough you might have reached your enjoyment limit.
It started clicking yesterday for me. Really enjoyed the Zora mission structure and the hints that led up to fighting the sludge boss.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

It started clicking yesterday for me. Really enjoyed the Zora mission structure and the hints that led up to fighting the sludge boss.
Oh! No! I’m afraid the boss of Water Temple may turn you off the game again!

Most annoying boss ever! 😂 😭

The quest and lead are great, I really enjoyed it!!

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Have finally put the game down after covering as much as I felt I wanted to. Still got a good dozen side missions to finish, but it's starting to feel a bit like pointless busywork now. I'm at 160 hours with absolutely everything ticked off other than those few side missions.

Easily the best game of this year, one of the best games on the Switch, and now probably in my overall top ten of all time.

Will pick back up when some DLC comes out, and may go back to BotW as well as haven't picked that up since 2017, and never completed it as much as ToTK.
Same. Easily my front runner for the year. I stopped at 120 hrs but could have easily kept going. Fully explored all maps, but had lots of sidequests left. May go back to the quests when the DLC comes out. If there weren't so many other games to play, I could have definitely kept going.

zeldaring

Banned
Oh! No! I’m afraid the boss of Water Temple may turn you off the game again!

Most annoying boss ever! 😂 😭

The quest and lead are great, I really enjoyed it!!
Just beat the water temple it was really fun, but that boss was super lame. He wasn't difficult but basically broke all my weapons on his spongy ass and all he kept on doing was running. I was cursing the game out cause i had no more weapons and basically just threw a fire fruits to kill him,. God this combat system is super lame. It's basically get one shot by enemies or just cook enough food and you have infinity health, why not just make the combat/healing system up to date, it's like menus are half of the combat in this game.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Just beat the water temple it was really fun, but that boss was super lame. He wasn't difficult but basically broke all my weapons on his spongy ass and all he kept on doing was running. I was cursing the game out cause i had no more weapons and basically just threw a fire fruits to kill him,. God this combat system is super lame. It's basically get one shot by enemies or just cook enough food and you have infinity health, why not just make the combat/healing system up to date, it's like menus are half of the combat in this game.
I do hope they improve for the next game. I agree that they need to rethink they weapon system, wasn't a fan of fuse so much, I felt like it added more busy work than it really helped anything. Seems like they were going for the Monster Hunter type of crowd but with a very low entry barrier.

zeldaring

Banned
I do hope they improve for the next game. I agree that they need to rethink they weapon system, wasn't a fan of fuse so much, I felt like it added more busy work than it really helped anything. Seems like they were going for the Monster Hunter type of crowd but with a very low entry barrier.
They need to scrap the whole combat system and make something new. It's the weakest aspect of the game. Get rid of breakable weapons and like you said all fuse is busy work and makes melee weapons look stupid. it needs much better movements, a proper dodge and a skill tree for more moves.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They need to scrap the whole combat system and make something new. It's the weakest aspect of the game. Get rid of breakable weapons and like you said all fuse is busy work and makes melee weapons look stupid. it needs much better movements, a proper dodge and a skill tree for more moves.
I agree with all of this. I am so used to the Souls type of combat that I constantly was pressing the wrong button to dodge....enemies got so many cheap hits from my muscle memory.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished this game 3 weeks ago on Yuzu, did all the shrines, depths and sky, but somehow I don't remember much about the game. Sure, I remember it and enjoyed it, but it's so strange to me that such a good game hasn't stuck with me the way an Elden Ring, Mass Effect etc has. After Elden Ring, I wanted to go back and try different builds. I have finished TotK and I can't see myself really going back and playing it again.

While it wouldn't be Zelda anymore if they did that, I can't argue that builds might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I agree with all of this. I am so used to the Souls type of combat that I constantly was pressing the wrong button to dodge....enemies got so many cheap hits from my muscle memory.
I usually love combat in games but with this game i just avoid it. The difficulty really comes from being one shot, spongy enemies, bad controls, and a horrible lock on features.

Last edited:
just beat the fire temple. Easy boss, but why are they so spongy, it takes a like 30 minutes with all weapons broken to kill a repetitive boss.
Holy Hylia, 30 minutes?! What kind of weapons were you using? Even with the Master Sword (still a pretty weak weapon), fused to a Construct Soldier Horn I got in the dungeon itself (think it was III, if not IV, so at least the part was strong, but the point is that it was readily available right before the boss), both phases were over in one leg-break-to-eye-combo, must have taken 2 minutes top...

zeldaring

Banned
Holy Hylia, 30 minutes?! What kind of weapons were you using? Even with the Master Sword (still a pretty weak weapon), fused to a Construct Soldier Horn I got in the dungeon itself (think it was III, if not IV, so at least the part was strong, but the point is that it was readily available right before the boss), both phases were over in one leg-break-to-eye-combo, must have taken 2 minutes top...
LOL i was using rusty swords fused to rocks, and sticks, and 2 zoniate spears and some arrows, ended up breaking all my weapons. I'm really the type of gamer that doesn't like to experiment unless i'm stuck or really have too. I still haven't got the master sword yet.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Double post

Last edited:

Hardensoul

LOL i was using rusty swords fused to rocks, and sticks, and 2 zoniate spears and some arrows, ended up breaking all my weapons. I'm really the type of gamer that doesn't like to experiment unless i'm stuck or really have too. I still haven't got the master sword yet.
You really don't need the Master Sword, that is a late game weapon. There are many better weapons, unfortunately you need to work your way up beating stronger enemies.

Both BotW/Totk has a hidden experience bar which the enemies get stronger the more you defeat them. From red>Blue>white>silver enemies, in turn they drop stronger weapons and items to fuse.

Also a tip for stronger weapons just like BotW, explore
Hyrule castle
. All weapons respawn after a Bloodmoon.

For Weapons
Glide from Lookout Tower to top of Castle in the Throne room - there are powerful Royal weapons

Last edited:

Forth

Personally this game is still my best game of all time, even after about 200 hours.
I just get so lost in its map and there's so much to do
Honestly this game has ruined the next gen consoles for me, the fact this is running on a old tablet still blows my mind and it has cemented the Switch as my favourite all time console.
I just wish Nintendo would announce the DLC.

I stopped at about 80 to 90 hours in. Found my way into the Lost Woods and just laid down.

Having fished the four main temples, I think I just didn't really want it to be over. So, I ended things on my own terms.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
You really don't need the Master Sword, that is a late game weapon. There are many better weapons, unfortunately you need to work your way up beating stronger enemies.

Both BotW/Totk has a hidden experience bar which the enemies get stronger the more you defeat them. From red>Blue>white>silver enemies, in turn they drop stronger weapons and items to fuse.

Also a tip for stronger weapons just like BotW, explore
Hyrule castle
. All weapons respawn after a Bloodmoon.

For Weapons
Glide from Lookout Tower to top of Castle in the Throne room - there are powerful Royal weapons
In BOTW i remember getting stronger weapons by just going to shrines. I didn't know you can fuse monstar parts to melee weapons. I'll head over to the castle as i have nothing right now.

Hardensoul

In BOTW i remember getting stronger weapons by just going to shrines. I didn't know you can fuse monstar parts to melee weapons. I'll head over to the castle as i have nothing right now.
The monster parts even says how much the attack power goes up. As for BotW shrines yes they did go up, that' because it's also affected by your hearts or stamina, it's same with TotK But weapon power goes up quicker with more enemies being defeated, especially stronger enemies like Hynox, Froxes, Sone Talus, Lynels and other rare/mini boss.

Edit: You'll need more than default stamina to get there, I believe stamina food to about one more wheel worth. Crickets are easy to find to make stamina elixir, mow grass in Hyrule field.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
85 hours plus now.

spent the last day or so completing some nice looking armour sets: dark link, the depths set and the beautiful mystic set. Completed the Goron temple a day or 2 back. Working towards fully unlocking the depths map with my darth maul flying bike and then I’ll explore the sky fully before finally moving on to the Gerudu desert/highlands and wrapping up the game

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
The monster parts even says how much the attack power goes up. As for BotW shrines yes they did go up, that' because it's also affected by your hearts or stamina, it's same with TotK But weapon power goes up quicker with more enemies being defeated, especially stronger enemies like Hynox, Froxes, Sone Talus, Lynels and other rare/mini boss.

Edit: You'll need more than default stamina to get there, I believe stamina food to about one more wheel worth. Crickets are easy to find to make stamina elixir, mow grass in Hyrule field.
In the castle do i need to fight enemies or just find the weapons. I don't enoy the combat in this game so i just rather avoid it.

Hudo

Skyward Sword had the best combat in Zelda so far.

I will die on this hill.

zeldaring

Banned
Skyward Sword had the best combat in Zelda so far.

I will die on this hill.
I would love zelda to get a dark souls like combat system and a horse like torrent it would really make the game a vastly better experience for me and be in my top 5 game of all time easily, and yes i'm playing Elden ring and TOTK for the first time at the same time. Just watched the combat is skyward sword and holy crap that looks like dog shit.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Consider yuorself dead alone on that hill.

Fuck that game and it's shitty motion controls.
I disliked the motion controls as much as anyone else but the actual combat is fun in a gimmicky way,i had more fun with than whatever ToTK is supposed to be.

There are some good battles in Skyward Sword,even common enemies are a threat if you are careless

Last edited:
Top Bottom