• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Literary Works of J.R.R. Tolkien Megathread |OT| Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's also supremely depressing, so I'm actually quite glad it was never finished. I'd hate for that to have been the final note of his legacy. Part of what makes the rest of his works so wonderful is the way it balances the inevitable with moments of happiness and mirth. Anything he wrote on the 4th Age would have just been bleak and bitter tasting.

Red Mage

Canon is a pretty useless concept when talking about Tolkien's works because of how many contradictory versions there of nearly every story that he didn't publish, and how small a fraction of the total material regarding the legendarium actually was published. IIRC Tolkien made two attempts at writing The New Shadow and didn't get past the first chapter either time. It's a curiosity, and does provide an illustration of his views of what would happen to the Reunited Kingdom after Aragorn, and a tentative exploration of his views on human weakness and decline (which can also be seen in many of his other works), but it can only be called the earliest beginnings of a story.

True, but it does give an idea of where Tolkien thought the 4th age would go.

It's also supremely depressing, so I'm actually quite glad it was never finished. I'd hate for that to have been the final note of his legacy. Part of what makes the rest of his works so wonderful is the way it balances the inevitable with moments of happiness and mirth. Anything he wrote on the 4th Age would have just been bleak and bitter tasting.

I'm pretty sure that's why he gave up on it.

Letter 256 said:
I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing.

Finished Tolkien and the Great War the other day and immediately dove into The Road to Middle Earth. I liked Great War quite a bit but did feel it was missing something, though I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly what that is at the moment. Just into the second chapter of Road and it's a bit dry but exhaustive, in a good way. It's really piqued my interest in the philological underpinnings of Tolkien's works. I feel like I need to find and read Beowulf now, an edition with both the original and the translated text.

TheMink

Hey dantes I saw you posted in the Sauron cat thread that the Eye of Sauron was metaphorical in the War of the Rings, I read it and I didn't get that impression could you explain a little further on that?

Didn't want to derail that thread.

Holy shit. Sorry don't mean to necro the thread or anything but Jesus man am I glad I've finally found this OT. This is incredible. Amazing OP! Finally got around to starting Children of Hurin too so this is just icing on the cake!

Doesn't seem to get as much traffic as I would have hoped but that's to be expected when you have a writer that's been dead for over 40 years :/ Regardless, I have a lot to catch up on. So looking forward to reading all the stupid arguments and discussions over the most minute shit. (Literally mean this in the least sarcastic way possible)

get

Turin

Banned
I know Olorin was apparently equal to Sauron but was he actually limited by his physical body or was he just unrelentingly loyal to the Valar?

Frodo sees sauron in a window at baradur. Gollum was personally tortured by sauron

Probably for the best that Peter Jackson stuck with Sauron just being an eye. He likely would have felt he had no choice but to go through with that awful Aragorn vs. Sauron fight.

Loxley

Holy shit. Sorry don't mean to necro the thread or anything but Jesus man am I glad I've finally found this OT. This is incredible. Amazing OP! Finally got around to starting Children of Hurin too so this is just icing on the cake!

Doesn't seem to get as much traffic as I would have hoped but that's to be expected when you have a writer that's been dead for over 40 years :/ Regardless, I have a lot to catch up on. So looking forward to reading all the stupid arguments and discussions over the most minute shit. (Literally mean this in the least sarcastic way possible)

get

Not sure how I didn't see this thread before.

Subscribed.

Great to have some new contributors and glad you like the thread :) Unfortunately you guys found the thread at a bit of a bad time, as we won't be using this one anymore once we hit February. Now that the films are no longer being released, we're planning an all-purpose TolkienGAF OT where all things related to Tolkien and his literary works can be discussed. We figure by consolidating everything down to one thread, more discussions can happen. Having two separate threads made sense while the movies were still being released in an effort to reduce spoiler discussions, as well as giving people who aren't interested in the movies a place to discuss Tolkien.

But the new thread won't be just about the books and the films, it'll be about everything. I could, for example, talk about how much I hate this terrible Hobbit board game:

RKHu1uV.jpg

Seriously, avoid it.

terrisus

But the new thread won't be just about the books and the films, it'll be about everything. I could, for example, talk about how much I hate this terrible Hobbit board game:

RKHu1uV.jpg

Seriously, avoid it.

How about "J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings Volume 1" for SNES?

Gkb8pdp.jpg

Spoiler:
There was never a "Volume 2" for SNES >.>

Also, fun fact: This is one of the few games aside from Mario Paint to make full use of the SNES mouse (you can play it with a controller as well, but it has full Mouse support)

fallout

RKHu1uV.jpg

Seriously, avoid it.
I'm jumping on this to throw out a recommendation for Fantasy Flight's card game:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=129

It's a co-op (or single player) card game that focuses on deck building. You play against the enemy deck and try to complete quests. The art is magnificent and it does a great job of exploring narratives in Middle-Earth during the lead-up to LOTR.

They release new card sets at a pace that my wallet couldn't handle, but I really love what I've played. They even have a couple of Hobbit themed expansions:

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=MEC16
http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=MEC24

Turin

Banned
Great to have some new contributors and glad you like the thread :) Unfortunately you guys found the thread at a bit of a bad time, as we won't be using this one anymore once we hit February. Now that the films are no longer being released, we're planning an all-purpose TolkienGAF OT where all things related to Tolkien and his literary works can be discussed. We figure by consolidating everything down to one thread, more discussions can happen. Having two separate threads made sense while the movies were still being released in an effort to reduce spoiler discussions, as well as giving people who aren't interested in the movies a place to discuss Tolkien.

RKHu1uV.jpg

Seriously, avoid it.

February 1st then?

RKHu1uV.jpg

Seriously, avoid it.

Alright. Still, sounds great! Actually it seems like I came at just the right time as now I can enjoy this thread while finally being able to actively participate in a brand new one.
GET HYPE!!!

Fathead

Unfinished Tales came up on kindle unlimited, so I finally got through it. I loved the threads on Saruman and the wraiths, the palantiri, and Aldarion. So much great info and ideas.

Thank you to all the people who have made these tolkien threads happen.

terrisus

Hey all. I just wanted to hop back in here since, while it was almost 2 months ago that I had asked for some suggestions on audiobook versions of some of Tolkien's work, I only finally got around to starting to actually listening to them (going through The Hobbit at the moment).

Given my issues with my vision since my stroke last year, it had been depressing not being able to do anywhere near as much reading as I used to (and with it being so much more tiring/frustrating/headache-inducing/difficult in general), it's been very nice to get into these (and I had been meaning to give Tolkien's work another read-through, since it had been probably 15 years since I had last done so).

So, I just wanted to say thank you to TolkienGAF, and in particular to Loxley and Edmond Dantès. I really appreciate your help, and am very thankful =)

Wanted to post another follow-up to this post from 4 months ago:

I finally finished listening through The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings =)

I know it took a while, but I'm really happy to have had the chance to do that, and am extremely thankful for the opportunity to do so, and for the help given here in finding a way to do so.

Now I've started in on the Martin Shaw reading of the Silmarillion - which it's been just as long since I last read - and am listening through that.

As silly as it sounds, being able to do this is making me much happier. So, thank you very much to TolkienGAF, and again in particular Loxley and Edmond Dantès, for helping me on getting going with this. I really appreciate it =)

Opinion time

What are the best and worst names of characters in the books?

I'll start with elves, 8 each to represent Feanor's anklebiters

Best

Fingolfin
Ereinion Gil-galad
Cirdan The Boatmaker
Earendil The Sailor
Galadriel
Ecthelion Of The Geyser
Luthien

Worst

Glorfindel (just thinking of this name makes me want to throw up)
Finarfin
Legolas
Tauriel
Ingwe
Curufin
Celegorm
Celebrimbor

Opinion time

What are the best and worst names of characters in the books?

I'll start with elves, 8 each to represent Feanor's anklebiters

Best

Fingolfin
Ereinion Gil-galad
Cirdan The Boatmaker
Earendil The Sailor
Galadriel
Ecthelion Of The Geyser
Luthien

Worst

Glorfindel (just thinking of this name makes me want to throw up)
Finarfin
Legolas
Tauriel
Ingwe
Curufin
Celegorm
Celebrimbor

You cant get much worse than wetwang

maharg

idspispopd
Yeah she is. :/

Given that in the book there's not a single named wood elf and they come off more like happy goblins by being so antagonistic, the only problem I have with them adding an arc for one (or two, if you count Legolas) of them is that they made her a woman and still fridged her even though they could have done literally anything they wanted.

But I suspect that's an unpopular opinion.

bengraven

Watching some appendices to some movies that may or may not exist, I really want to read the History of the Hobbit. I'm really impressed that Richard Armitage became a minor scholar almost in these histories after getting the role in a series of movies that may not exist.

(sorry, going by the OP and how it's not about the films, so lol)

My only issue is that I've rarely found them at affordable prices and money is tight right now. Maybe in a few months after TolkienGAF the Official Megathread gets me all hyped up.

Should be obvious, but I'll spell it out, I guess lol

Regardless of how its said, syllable wise, it's still mouthing the sound with the "r" next to the "f"

Actually, it's even worse the way you wrote it lmao. You did good, kid.

glor-fin. So gross

rhymes with morphin.......now I'm imagining the hilarity if they were named the "power rangers of the north"

Zordon=Sauron lol

Goddamn.

terrisus

Should be obvious, but I'll spell it out, I guess lol

Regardless of how its said, syllable wise, it's still mouthing the sound with the "r" next to the "f"

Right - they're next to each other
Not blended together.

The sound they make when next to each other in different syllables is different from the sound they would make in the same syllable.

So, you're not "Mouthing the word "Glorf,"" as you originally posited.
And if you are, you're doing it wrong.

Actually, it's even worse the way you wrote it lmao. You did good, kid.

glor-fin. So gross

rhymes with morphin.......now I'm imagining the hilarity if they were named the "power rangers of the north"

Spoilers:
The Power Rangers weren't around when Tolkien wrote the books, and didn't factor into his decisions at all

I think you need to read it again lol.

Reading comp skills needs some work.

Your prolly one of those weird dudes whose only seen the movies and thinks they know everything.

terrisus

I think you should take this to pm, if you are having such a hard time lol

Dantes, who is the Eru to my Sauron, will undoubtedly be cross with you making this thread go off the rails

terrisus

I mean, I've said what I wanted to on the subject, you're certainly welcome to PM me if you have more that's pressing to you to discuss.

Language was something that Tolkien was particularly interested in, and so I feel that clarifying language is a worthwhile endeavor.
The personal attacks and mocking are definitely uncalled for though.

Turin

Banned
I got these two in the mail. <3

41rnSX8LwPL.jpg
$_1.JPG

Now if only it matched up a little better with my Silmarillion and Children of Hurin.....

FKMc0fDl.jpg

Mumei

I got these two in the mail. <3

$_1.JPG

Ooh. What a coincidence: I also picked up the anniversary edition of Lord of the Rings this week. One of the Half-Price Books located near me had multiple sealed copies for less than half the usual price so I decided to take the plunge. Unfortunately the picture on the back had was slightly messed up because of the adhesive from the description. It tore a small part away. I'm going to see about getting another one, if I can. If not.... Oh, well. You can't tell anything is missing unless you look closely. It's the sort of thing I wouldn't worry about if I'd paid $10, but bothers me when I paid $40.

Tizoc

OK hold up, was there a time skip during The Fellowship of the Ring? After Bilbo leaves the shire, Gandalf goes to investigate about the Ring that was left in Frodo's care, on the LOTR wiki it states Gandalf has been doing his research for near 17 years? Is that true? I mean if it were 17 weeks, yeah I'd get it, but I'm curious about this.

Watevaman

OK hold up, was there a time skip during The Fellowship of the Ring? After Bilbo leaves the shire, Gandalf goes to investigate about the Ring that was left in Frodo's care, on the LOTR wiki it states Gandalf has been doing his research for near 17 years? Is that true? I mean if it were 17 weeks, yeah I'd get it, but I'm curious about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Arda#Third_Age

Between TA3001 and 3018 is when Frodo was in possession of the Ring before leaving Hobbiton.

Top Bottom