• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Review Thread

If the stealth was well implemented, it would have been fun. Styx/sly cooperish level of fun.
I had hoped they would be in that area. If you concsiously select Gollum as your main character, I would have expected they really had an idea about what they want to do and also the workforce to make that character fun in his own way, but as it is, it is probably only for the hardcore fans of middle earth that want to consume anything that is associated with that IP. The mainstream stuff has been done anyway already, and the series probably did not create many new fans either so people blindly buying it for the IP will be a minority.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Holy shit @ Skill Up’s review. It’s so much worse than I imagined.

First half of the game (at least) is like a life sim where you do various chores in the prison and then go to sleep each night in your cell.

There’s no combat. The only offense you have is to choke enemies from behind.

You get some human companion you have to order around to solve puzzles and it’s janky as hell.

Finally he gets to the part where you escape the prison…. Into the fucking sewers where there’s some big water temple-style puzzle where you have to order the companion around to raise/lower the water. Finally he rage quits after falling into the water and having no way to climb out (despite lots of ledges that look like they should be low enough to grab)

hemo memo

Gold Member
“In my roughly 11 hours of playtime on "Performance" mode on a PlayStation 5, the game crashed over 120 times (yes, I counted; masochist, remember?), averaging about one crash every five minutes.”

- so tired of this generation of releasing BROKEN games, unacceptable!
That’s worse than Cyberpunk launch state.

Daedalic, time to return to what made your fortune:
Edna_%26_Harvey_-_The_Breakout_Coverart.png
91MekfUtZ7L._AC_SY500_.jpg
The_Dark_Eye_Chains_of_Satinav_cover.jpg

Give me a sequel to Chains of Satinav. I want more adventures in dreamy and beautiful Anderghast.
ss_7e9386992df182bb4e2a92c0ab2a50b12d841d96.1920x1080.jpg

Mossybrew

It is very rare that a game comes along that I actually hope it will fail hard, and this is definitely one of them. Gonna enjoy some schad today with some of these reviews, looking forward to Skillup's video.

Stuart360

I never understand, especially these days with how many people work on these games, how devs can be working ona game for multiple years, and not realize that the game is shit.
Maybe they do and all they are motivated by is the quick buck.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I never understand, especially these days with how many people work on these games, how devs can be working ona game for multiple years, and not realize that the game is shit.
I’m sure they all knew it was shit. It’s a failure of management. What do you do if you’ve spent years developing a game and the core gameplay isn’t very fun, it’s absolutely loaded with bugs, and it would take a massive + indeterminate amount of time/effort to polish it (which still wouldn’t make it a good game because the core concept just didn’t work out how they imagined it). Do you:

- can it and make no return on your investment?

- keep it in development for months/years longer trying to polish a turd?

- just give them a deadline and force it out no matter what, so you can at leas recoup some of the cost

Daedalic pays shitty wages, that's why most of the "better" devs and designers leave after a short while.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Look at that, they're using the full scale. This is what Redfall should have gotten as well. Cant do the same to a big MS game though (or any of the big 3)

This is satisfying to see. Trash ass studios getting the scores they deserve.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I guess it pretty much went exactly how most of us sensed it would go after the previews.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

“In my roughly 11 hours of playtime on "Performance" mode on a PlayStation 5, the game crashed over 120 times (yes, I counted; masochist, remember?), averaging about one crash every five minutes.”

- so tired of this generation of releasing BROKEN games, unacceptable!
That's not remotely comparable to what is usually complained about (Jedi Survivor, Redfall, etc).

Mossybrew

LOL watching Skillup. There is absolutely nothing about this game that seems fun, like not a single solitary thing.

Even if they knocked it out of the park in terms of quality and writing who the hell did they intend to sell this to?

The whole concept from the foundation up always seemed like it would end up being a bizarre and unappealing game regardless of how they tried to do it or how much effort they put in. Even that wacky looking ‘I am Jesus Christ‘ game sounded more appealing on a concept level.

Last edited:
Noisy Pixel: 4.5 out of 10

(video playtime: 06:13min)

I'm a sucker for games that are like PlayStation 2 platformers so I actually think this game looks cool. I probably have some fun with it.

My issues with the technical problems which they don't mention in that video. In fact that video of you sounds pretty decent compared to some of the other reviews.

I hope they patch out the technical issues. There's no excuse to leave it in the state it's in now.

so tired of this generation of releasing BROKEN games, unacceptable!
I would think after the Cyberpunk 2077 debacle, publishers and developers would learn fucking something but instead we're just getting repeats of the same thing.

I'm sure they'll blame it on covid or whatever. No fucking excuse.

Of all the myriad LotR characters a company could have made a game about, they chose Gollum. Not Gandalf, not Legolas, not Elrond... nah, Gollum! As if any player truly wishes to be Gollum, staring at his hideous emaciated deformed figure for hours on end. Daedalic you geniuses
Well, the next game is going to have you playing the dwarf exploring Moria.

Top Bottom