• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Teaser Trailer

GreenAlien

"Imagine having the LOTR IP and choosing to make a game about Gollum."

Well, they are hardly an AAA dev. I guess they thought about what they could do justice and a gollum game was what they came up with.

Had they tried to be more ambitious and give us that open world blockbuster elder scrolls/witcher like LOTR RPG we are all waiting for, we would probably have been very disappointed with the result..

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I havent looked up much about this game but I have to assume it will be some sort of stealth based game?

manfestival

Well, they are hardly an AAA dev. I guess they thought about what they could do justice and a gollum game was what they came up with.

Had they tried to be more ambitious and give us that open world blockbuster elder scrolls/witcher like LOTR RPG we are all waiting for, we would probably have been very disappointed with the result..
I think you quoted the wrong person. You probably meant to quote LordCBH since he is the one asking for this Open World RPG you are referring to.
had to edit this since I accidentally put your name when I meant to refer to another person.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I think you quoted the wrong person. You probably meant to quote LordCBH since he is the one asking for this Open World RPG you are referring to.
had to edit this since I accidentally put your name when I meant to refer to another person.

to be fair, my queation is more for WB and less for this dev. I’m not against this dev making this game and I’m quite looking forward to it lol. I could’ve worded it better but I also just woke up

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
There could be potential here for sure. But I still find it a bit distracting that it doesn't resemble the film IP. I look forward to seeing how the gameplay is, I mean, playing as Gollum? Not sure who asked for that, lmao.

manfestival

to be fair, my queation is more for WB and less for this dev. I’m not against this dev making this game and I’m quite looking forward to it lol. I could’ve worded it better but I also just woke up
I don't know why you are responding to me... I never questioned anything. That was GreenAlien. Yall should stop quoting me and quote each other. I am not this weird middle man for your conversation lol

Tschumi

1d1733fde5bf2e71b86e508d3b2f5206.gif

GreyHorace

I understand some complaints here, but IMO Gollum's story is one of the more underrated narratives in Tolkien's Legendarium. The little dude survived being corrupted for a hundred years by the One Ring, being imprisoned the dungeons of Barad Dur and surviving the harsh wilderness of Middle Earth. Tolkien makes no bones about it in The Lord of the Rings that despite Gollum's selfish desires, the quest would not have succeeded without his help.

I'm all for a game starring him, as I'd like them to flesh out his journey more. Just hope the game is good. But I demand a Ghost of Tsushima style open world game starring Legolas next time Warner.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
really sad that it looks to adhere to the style of the movies' character design.

such a mediocre design

im interested in anything lotr though, so ill keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Why not? Great character and will suit a stealth game well.

Yes the character is great, Serkis was awesome in the movies, and you're probably right if it is a stealth game it will be interesting to see how what they do. But I've seen the movies we know his whole story and how he became obsessed with the ring. I dunno playing as Gollum just doesn't draw me in.

I can see this as an nes game back in the day, we have Gollum collecting rings throughout each level lol.

Fbh

Well if it succeeds they can go on to making Star Wars: C3PO and DBZ: The Chiaotzu chronicles.

That would be like playing a Batman game where you played as Robin instead of Batm........... Fuck 2020.

Nah, Robin at least has a similar skill set than Batman and you could still make a cool game about taking down criminals.
This is more like a Batman game where you play as Alfred. Cool character, but do we really need a game about him?

Nico_D

So I'm just as clueless as I was before seeing that about what type of game this is.

I hope it is a stealth game. Would fit Gollum. He sneaked in and out of Mordor many times.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m an absolute sucker for lord of the rings. So
I’m in.

but why can’t we get an open world RPG like TES from this series

edit: for clarity that’s a plea to WB and not this studio.
This is the correct post.

The lore would really lend to this, they could mesh it with the new Amazon series too for some general plot occurences.

Astral Dog

That would be like playing a Batman game where you played as Robin instead of Batm........... Fuck 2020.
Gotham Knights > Suicide Squad fuck that movie i don't wanna play a game about it :messenger_grimmacing_

Gollum would be more like playing as the Pinguin or Alfred you know what BATMAN Arkham Alfred would be cool

DonF

Gold Member
who asked for this? Its like playing alfred in a batman game.

Well, it might end up interesting but I doubt it.

I love LOTR, and the devs are working hard on this, but why choose Gollum? Is it unexpected? Yes, for good reason. He's not a likable character, their is nothing redeeming about his backstory, he's a murderer corrupted by the ring, his greatest talent is hiding, lying, and biting off fingers. His greatest contribution to the story is to be pitied by bilbo and frodo so they can keep their humanity and avoid total corruption. I'm at a loss. Hopefully, it's good.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Top Bottom