• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Teaser Trailer

Lads, it's daedelic. They're german and they make weird shit.
You're never going to get some ranger AAA monstrosity from them.

Thst being said, WB doesn't seem to be involved so obviously they impressed the Tolkien estate?

What has been going on? There have been so many weird choices for game pitches.

-Make any LOTR game, okay we making a Gollum game
-Make a Batman game, okay you gonna play as the side characters
-Make a Justice League game, okay you gonna play as the suicide squad and hunt the Justice League.

So many weird decisions.

teezzy

Banned
Who the hell asked for this

tenor.gif

EruditeHobo

are you talking about the gollum game or the rebel wilson one?

Big Rebel fan over here...

On top of that I don't understand what this Gollum game will be. It seems a weird way to go if you are making something set in Middle Earth? If it was about the attraction and addiction to the one ring's power, and the user was deciding which way to go with it, by being able to either resist it or give in to the temptation... that would be damned intriguing. I just don't know how you do that with Gollum? We know his story, somewhat exhaustively, so I'm not sure what we're looking at here.

I like Deponia, though.

Last edited:

Nester99

I’m an absolute sucker for lord of the rings. So
I’m in.

but why can’t we get an open world RPG like TES from this series

edit: for clarity that’s a plea to WB and not this studio.

Does Shadow/War of Mordor not scractch the open world LOTR itch ?

iconmaster

Banned
Gollum lived almost 600 years; you could probably do a whole lot with him while still staying away from the War of the Ring. The trailer suggests the opposite, though.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Thst being said, WB doesn't seem to be involved so obviously they impressed the Tolkien estate?

It's actually even a little bit more complicated than that... This one is truly wild.

Tolkien sold the rights to film, play, and merchandise to United Artists sometime around 1970. UA ended up selling the rights to another smaller film company owned by Saul Zaentz. Zaentz wasn't a filmmaker originally. Zaentz's actually owned a small record label that signed Creedence Clearwater Revival. CCR was a huge success for Zaentz and he used the profits from the records to found his own film company and later purchase the rights to LOTR.

As a side note, CCR and Zaentz's label actually got into several legal battles accusing Zaentz's of litany of things. John Foggerty actually sued the label in a case that went before the Supreme Court. Foggerty won. Foggerty's song "Mr. Greed" is about Zaentz.

Zaent's film comp produced several films including the movie adaptation of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". This film company started a division called Tolkien Enterprises and are responsible for the majority of LOTR related works we see today. Miramax actually licensed LOTR from Tolkien Enterprises/Zaentz to make the movies in the early 00s. The company later rebranded as Middle Earth Enterprises.

Middle Earth Enterprises is the company that licensed the game rights to WB. As far as I know the details of the licensing agreement are not public and it is not an exclusive licensing deal. WB has another game in development and Middle Earth Enterprises has also licensed the rights to Daedelic for this title and Amazon games for the upcoming MMO title.

The Tolkien estate was actually in a legal battle with Middle Earth Enterprises at one point because they contended that Middle Earth's merchandising rights only pertained to physical goods-not video games and certainly not new narrative content. They ended up settling out of court.

Not complicated enough? The rights to the upcoming Amazon TV show were licensed by the Tolkien estate. Middle Earth Enterprises only owns the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings film, plays, and merchandise; the rights to the Silmarillion and everything else remain with the Tolkien Estate. So Amazon has simultaneously licensed LOTR material from both the Tolkien Estate and Middle Earth Enterprises.

Another interesting note-Christopher Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien's son and the head of the Tolkien Estate was very much against the movies and other licensed products. He actually resigned just days after it was announced that Amazon would be making a series based on the Second Age. It seems like the rest of the family is not as protective of LOTR and is actively considering licensing deals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom