• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

notworksafe

HarryDemeanor said:
Oh you guys are starting a LOTRO version of the guild? I may join that one instead if you guys are accepting GAFers.
Yep. In Defense of the Ring(piece)! :lol Anyone from GAF or wherever is welcome to join. Got a Mumble server set up too for those that want to chat.

My copy of Moria is waiting at my doorstep so I'll probably get online and make it later tonight.

Beth Cyra

Sounds really cool actually. Love the sound of the End game stuff as well as the Vanity clothes, after play WoW for so long at endgame I saw mostly the same shit on every class.

On ething though, I love playing a Melee DPS character, can any LoTRO players give me a good suggestion?

I am doubting they have anything like Death Knight but that was the class I played in WoW and I like being able to get into the fray and DPS the hell out of stuff.

Wallach

TruePrime said:
Sounds really cool actually. Love the sound of the End game stuff as well as the Vanity clothes, after play WoW for so long at endgame I saw mostly the same shit on every class.

On ething though, I love playing a Melee DPS character, can any LoTRO players give me a good suggestion?

I am doubting they have anything like Death Knight but that was the class I played in WoW and I like being able to get into the fray and DPS the hell out of stuff.

They made a class just for you friend, and it is the Champion. One of the two definitive DPS classes in the game, the Champion is designed for melee carnage and in particular AoE melee destruction.

Here's the thing I love about LotRO class design - they can give you everything you need to fulfill your class role completely. PvM (this game's slant on PvP) basically exists in its own world so it has almost no impact on what your class is balanced around. To that end the Champion gets decent defense, amazing damage, and special aggro manipulation skills that allow you to "dump" your aggro directly onto another player in your group (hopefully the guy doing the tanking). You even have the reverse of that skill if you need to be the one doing the tanking since you are equipped with heavy armor.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
TruePrime said:

Roll Champion. Heavy armor, best AoE DPS in the game (and pretty damn good single target DPS as well), can tank in a pinch and if that weren't enough to make them a must-have in every group, they have the best interrupt in the game.

ag-my001

Spire said:
Roll Champion. Heavy armor, best AoE DPS in the game (and pretty damn good single target DPS as well), can tank in a pinch and if that weren't enough to make them a must-have in every group, they have the best interrupt in the game.

I'd contend that Addle on a 5 sec CD is better, since it makes all future inductions take longer. However, since that requires a legendary legacy, I'll concede the point.

For the person wondering about the Champion, I'll sum it up like this: The devs had to hit Champs with a -30% healing penalty when they're in their main DPS stance, because they were doing too well at tanking with it. The carnage on the forums was wonderful.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Fuck! I still have shit to do. Won't be able to join the chaos for a few hours unfortunately. People, start naming your characters so everybody knows who is who.

Subxero

I didn't think it opened up til tomorrow. I downloaded the client the other day, and it's updating now. I figured I could jump between this ans FF XIV.

I bought the original and Moria when they released, but I didn't have a lot of time to play it.
I have read that if you own or have subscribed to it before you get all of that content carried over.

What server are you guys going to play on. I usually just keep to my self since my play times are erratic, but I wouldn't mind joining in on the guild if it's alright.

BooJoh

Been wanting to play this for a while... someone said this game stealth-installs Pando. Is this true and can it be easily removed once the game is installed?

Subxero

BooJoh said:
Been wanting to play this for a while... someone said this game stealth-installs Pando. Is this true and can it be easily removed once the game is installed?

It installs it when you start the lancher file. I tells you that it is going to, and you have to accept it to download.

I just removed it with CCleaners uninstaller tab and then cleaned the registry. I have Win7 and I believe I manually deleted a file from the Appdata/Roaming folder as well. I have had no issues (that I am aware of) with it.

It didn't seem like it cause any issues and is used in quite a few installer/downloaders . I understand not wanting that crap installed on the PC though.

Shambles

Is there a faster up to date torrent than the d/l client from the official site?

edit: Nevermind, didn't realize it wasn't F2P until Friday. Doesn't matter how fast it loads :p

Haeleos

Wow I guess VIP priority doesn't do much, because I'm in a 10 min queue already.

edit: nm it was only 2 mins long.

notworksafe

Shambles said:
Is there a faster up to date torrent than the d/l client from the official site?

edit: Nevermind, didn't realize it wasn't F2P until Friday. Doesn't matter how fast it loads :p
Unless you've ever subscribed in the past, then it has already started.

Alex

Does Mirkwood have like, everything in it? Or would I still need Moria too? Confused about their expansion packaging and the new system.

ag-my001

Alex said:
Does Mirkwood have like, everything in it? Or would I still need Moria too? Confused about their expansion packaging and the new system.

Mirkwood is just Mirkwood. It only has the quests from 60-65. I'm not sure if you can even buy it without Moria.

On an actual game note, I just pugged Clorhir in Annuminas. I did not like that I still had to hit the Travel Now button to join the instance even when walking through the actual door. The revamp is pretty nice, they switched up the fight on the second tier (priestesses now come in at the end of the darkwater waves instead of being killed before), and the trees on tier 3 can be really annoying if you aren't careful about the new Stimulating Darkwater mobs. Also, all the darkwaters on that level keep respawning. I think it must be a bug, because otherwise it's kinda difficult to finish the Purifying Water quest. Nengon was also still visible on tier 2 even after we killed him up top. The challenge mode wasn't too bad, you have 30 seconds to kill everything once you kill anything. We killed Nengon first, so there were no respawns, and 30 seconds is plenty of time to kill a bunch of mobs that have ~5k morale left. Except for the one that was hiding in a corner with full morale. We got him with 1 second to spare. I give it a thumbs up; Clorhir was always the most annoying of the three instances, but with a good group I wouldn't mind running it a bunch.

Actually pretty pumped for this. Going to play it a bit and see if I like it, what would be the good things to 'buy' though to get premium? It seems gold cap removal would be a good one. Is there a price list?

Haeleos

teacupcopter said:
Actually pretty pumped for this. Going to play it a bit and see if I like it, what would be the good things to 'buy' though to get premium? It seems gold cap removal would be a good one. Is there a price list?

I'm not too sure anything is really needed right off the bat (thankfully)... I can see bag space and bank space being an issue from 1-25 but not much else. I'm a subscriber so I don't know what the situation is with the limited inventory.

I would save your money for the quest packs or get a Moria key to try out the Warden or Runepriest: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FS7FE0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wthermans

Banned
Beta'd the game, skipped the release and came back and maxxed out my Hunter (except in PvM). Loved my guild (Epic on Gladden), but the lack of endgame prior to MoM killed my love it and I just don't have the heart to get back into it. Great MMO though and I'm sad to see it go F2P.

If people don't want to install through Pando, the other option is Fileplanet. I'm currently downloading from there. Pando is the stuff of nightmares imo. I'm going to roll a Ministrel or Runekeeper (will have to buy that class) on Riddermark.

I really hope retailers get the point cards next week as I'm eager to see if they're going to continue the tradition of adding a 30% bonus to points on them.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Ignignort said:
Just logged into my account says I'm premium! huzzah!

Does this mean I can participate in the early access?

If you had a previous subscription or were in the F2P beta you can, I think.

Thanks for adding a link to some UI mods Spire. Could you recommend any? Also does anyone have a link or screenshot showing the store prices? I saw there was one on the official forums but it had not been updated in quite some time.

dakilla13

So pumped! Had a level 50 Burglar before Moria came out and I had to stop playing due to time. This game is awesome, very happy to see it gain some new people

Okay, what exactly am I doing that's earning me Turbine Points? I'm doing random shit and every once in a while I get a notification stating "You've just earned 5/10 Turbine Points!"
For what??

Anyway, I'm happy to report that all my stuff is safe and sound and that I was premature in the shitting of my pants prior to release (haven't been a paying customer in over a year). Kudos, Turbine. :)

Haeleos

Revolutionary said:
Okay, what exactly am I doing that's earning me Turbine Points? I'm doing random shit and every once in a while I get a notification stating "You've just earned 5/10 Turbine Points!"
For what??

Anyway, I'm happy to report that all my stuff is safe and sound and that I was premature in the shitting of my pants prior to release (haven't been a paying customer in over a year). Kudos, Turbine. :)

I'm pretty sure it's the server getting around to awarding you your Turbine Points from deeds you've already completed in the past.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Started a new character as a Burglar. Its cool to know that I've got this whole world I can jump into without having to pay a monthly fee. I also looked at the Turbine Store and dig that I can, on a whim, decide to add a feature to my account when I feel I need it.

ag-my001

Revolutionary said:
For what??

You are likely finishing some deeds. Previously, completing deeds would earn you some XP and maybe a title or virtue trait. Now they've removed the XP part and replaced it with Turbine Points (not on all deeds, though). So when you roll a new dwarf and get Acquaintance reputation with Thorin's Hall, you earn 5 points. The more you do (explore key locations, pick up world drops, slayer-deeds for mob types, etc.) the more points you'll earn. I believe someone added them all up and if you complete most of the deeds for the Shire, Ered Luin and Bree, you should be able to purchase all the quests for Lone Lands with just in-game earned points. It'll take a bunch of grinding, but normal play should be able to get you at least a decent discount.

Haeleos

BlueTsunami said:
Started a new character as a Burglar. Its cool to know that I've got this whole world I can jump into without having to pay a monthly fee. I also looked at the Turbine Store and dig that I can, on a whim, decide to add a feature to my account when I feel I need it.

Amazing... now explain this to the people on the LotRO forums who think this is Turbine ripping them off and taking their shit.

Retro

I'm also on Brandywine, though I'm already in a Kinship and quite happy where I am. I just recently hit 35 on my Guardian and the game is fantastic.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
On Landroval as Domrond, a hunter. YAY HUNTERS GET NEW SKILLS TODAY WOOHOO!

Ahem.

Alex

notworksafe said:
Cool OP! I can't wait to get this started. My game should be delivered tomorrow, so I can get it installed under CrossOver and start my Dwarf Runekeeper. Anyone have any experience running it on Mac? It got a gold medal on their site, so it should run just as well as on Windows.

You can also add KefkaTaran and ShallNoiseUpon to Silverlode. We're all in the same WoW guild and are starting up a guild (Fellowship?) on there.

EDIT: For those that want to get a jump in without having to buy quest packs for a while, Mines of Moria (which includes the main game as well) is available on Amazon for $8. That gives you all the classes, and extra crafting tier, two extra character slots, and all the quests from 1-60. It also gives you a Premium membership right away!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FS7FE0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also anyone who was a former subscriber is Premium right away as well.

The collector's edition off of Amazon or Ebay also seems crazy cheap, especially if you aren't prime and don't want to chip all the way up for super saver.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Thanks for adding a link to some UI mods Spire. Could you recommend any? Also does anyone have a link or screenshot showing the store prices? I saw there was one on the official forums but it had not been updated in quite some time.

I've always been partial to this one and it seems it has been updated for the patch today. You might just hold off for a bit though, they introduced lua scripting in this patch so total UI conversion mods (like what you see in WoW) are going to start popping up soon.

For what??

The Turbine points have slowly been updating, some of those are retroactive from deeds. You earn between 5-15 TP for each deed you complete and all of the new reputation deeds give you a lot of TP.

Chris R

Anywhere to do a direct download? My torrent speeds were not bad, but it was maxing out my upload and I just got an 80gb a month cap :(

hamchan

rhfb said:
Anywhere to do a direct download? My torrent speeds were not bad, but it was maxing out my upload and I just got an 80gb a month cap :(

Fileplanet. You can set your uploads to 1kb/s though.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Awesome to be back into this. I'm on Brandywine with a level 42 Hobbit Hunter named Durrowdar.

Finished downloading the game and made a Champion on Silverlode named Vikham. I just got him to level 10 and so far the game is fun. I've played it here and there but I was also in the beta for SoA and the F2P version though never got far at all. It's nice to see the changes they made to the starting areas. Now I just need a guild and I'll be set.

Beth Cyra

Wallach said:
They made a class just for you friend, and it is the Champion. One of the two definitive DPS classes in the game, the Champion is designed for melee carnage and in particular AoE melee destruction.

Here's the thing I love about LotRO class design - they can give you everything you need to fulfill your class role completely. PvM (this game's slant on PvP) basically exists in its own world so it has almost no impact on what your class is balanced around. To that end the Champion gets decent defense, amazing damage, and special aggro manipulation skills that allow you to "dump" your aggro directly onto another player in your group (hopefully the guy doing the tanking). You even have the reverse of that skill if you need to be the one doing the tanking since you are equipped with heavy armor.

Thanks for all the info.

Honestly I never really looked into LOTRO all that much because I don't like Lord of The Rings really, but between the Vanity clothes so I can at least try to give my character something from me instead of looking like every other DK and this class if I like what I play after the first week I may just sign up for the monthly fee so I can have access to all the content.

Didn't get to heavy into the raiding as it was to competive but I really enjoyed collecting gear and running 5 mans in WoW so if this can be half as much fun I will probably have a blast with it.

WinFonda

So I don't know where I stand with this game and what I need to do. I have a free trial account from like a year back. I'd like to return to the character I had.

Do I need to download a special client to play? I spent the day downloading the standard client and I can't play yet. Says I have no active subscription. Maybe I need to wait 2 more days?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
HarryDemeanor said:
Finished downloading the game and made a Champion on Silverlode named Vikham. I just got him to level 10 and so far the game is fun. I've played it here and there but I was also in the beta for SoA and the F2P version though never got far at all. It's nice to see the changes they made to the starting areas. Now I just need a guild and I'll be set.

Just keep an eye out on the /ooc, /advice, and /trade channels in the early zones (especially Bree-Town), there are plenty of helpful guilds who spam those channels trying to recruit new players.

WinFonda said:
So I don't know where I stand with this game and what I need to do. I have a free trial account from like a year back.

Do I need to download a special client to play? I spent the day downloading the standard client and I can't play yet. Says I have no active subscription. Maybe I need to wait 2 more days?

Yeah, have to wait until the 10th.

Bru

If you could add me to the list. I have a level 58 Captain on Eldar (UK/EU) - some good friends also play as a Guardian (62) and Champion (65).

We're here to help any Gaffers new to our little patch of Middle-earth.

Top Bottom