• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Reeaaaallly been jonesing to get back into LOTRO, but probably can't until next year at the earliest :/

For my money it's the best MMO currently running. Which means it is probably the best MMO ever. All you new players, have fun & enjoy yourselves! LOTRO is a game that truly is about the journey, and not the destination. It is NOT a treadmill and shouldn't be played like one. Read quest text. Farm. Play a musical instrument.

The game is something special.

Spire said:
Just keep an eye out on the /ooc, /advice, and /trade channels in the early zones (especially Bree-Town), there are plenty of helpful guilds who spam those channels trying to recruit new players.

Yeah, have to wait until the 10th.

I don't think free players have access to the OOC, Advice, or Trade channels. Couldn't tell at all since I couldn't see anybody talking. Though, I guess that could have something to do with it being late at night and nobody around to talk with.

I've had a retail copy of the game since forever. I'll actually play a little now that it's free. Hopefully I can get a friend to play as well.

razorskin said:
LGRIB.jpg

:p

hiro4

GDJustin said:
Reeaaaallly been jonesing to get back into LOTRO, but probably can't until next year at the earliest :/

For my money it's the best MMO currently running. Which means it is probably the best MMO ever. All you new players, have fun & enjoy yourselves! LOTRO is a game that truly is about the journey, and not the destination. It is NOT a treadmill and shouldn't be played like one. Read quest text. Farm. Play a musical instrument.

This describes my love for LoTRO perfectly.
I already have 2 lifetime accounts so even then it was already kind of free to play for me and that was exactly what I needed.

Taking my time to enjoy the journey, sometimes doing some raids and questing. But it was always about the journey.

I still haven't played this yet, and what with Halo: Reach and second year of university round the corner I don't think I'll get round to it. Shame I really wanted to give it a go.

Retro

GDJustin said:
Play a musical instrument.

Because standing next to Aragorn in the Prancing Pony Inn while playing "Bad Romance" wins you friends.

Actually, playing the Indiana Jones theme in the Bree Auction House netted me 1 gold in tips... which is quite a bit of money at low levels :lol

I'm gonna give this a go when F2P is released, although I'll be going on a Euro server (dunno which one, I'll just see which the majority of Euro GAF plan on using).

I'm definitely going a Dwarf, although might my class choice could vary based on what works well in a team of whatever people here have chosen.

EDIT: I'm just wondering, if I start downloading the 14 day trial client now, would that be viable for the full F2P? It's just that it'll probably take a few days for me to download 6GB or so.

Can't launch the game. Gives me some bogus error about .net framework not being up to date, even though I click on the link they provide to update it and install it.

Effect

If you were in the F2P beta do you have to redownload the client or will it patch?

Haven't logged in for a few weeks but when I did last night it took me right into the beta server which is surprisingly still up. I've never been a big fan of cash shops but I think LOTRO will be an exception. Mainly to buy new areas and items for housing. I'm a sucker for house decorations for some reason. It's that The Sims player in me I guess.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Effect said:
If you were in the F2P beta do you have to redownload the client or will it patch?

Haven't logged in for a few weeks but when I did last night it took me right into the beta server which is surprisingly still up. I've never been a big fan of cash shops but I think LOTRO will be an exception. Mainly to buy new areas and items for housing. I'm a sucker for house decorations for some reason. It's that The Sims player in me I guess.

Have to redownload from scratch.

Are all the servers and official site down? I tried logging in before work to make sure I get the character name I wanted and it said all worlds down.

Just made a healer on Brandywine named:

Ferghus

I'm up for a NeoGAF fellowship too. Let's go. Game looks awesome from the little I've played, btw.

GDJustin said:

You have my axe.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ah ok. Now what about europe? Because i can't download the client from the europe site :/

EDIT: The F2P Client that is.

DOUBLE EDIT: Wait is it out at all yet? It just looked like people were talking as if it had been released properly.

Haeleos

Cindres said:
Ah ok. Now what about europe? Because i can't download the client from the europe site :/

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you install from your discs, and then run the game, it will update the game to the F2P client. It is out for people who already have an existing LotRO account that have a subscription to the game currently or had one in the past. For everyone else it releases on the 10th.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Haeleos said:
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you install from your discs, and then run the game, it will update the game to the F2P client. It is out for people who already have an existing LotRO account that have a subscription to the game currently or had one in the past. For everyone else it releases on the 10th.

EDIT: Scrap that, as i used to have an active account i assume that means i can get in now.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Cindres said:
So i can't just install lotro from the discs? I have to download it?

No, you can. Just install and then let it patch up.

DOUBLE EDIT: Wait is it out at all yet? It just looked like people were talking as if it had been released properly.

Apparently it's been delayed for Europe. You should still be able to patch the game up to the point of the F2P patch, will probably have to wait a few more days to get in though. :/

Haeleos

Does anyone know if we are getting all the Turbine Points retroactively for all the deeds we have completed? I had 55 points last night when I logged out and logging in this morning I have 30... so it actually went down for some reason...

edit: nm I found out you don't. That's why they are giving all those loyalty points to recent subscribers.

Cindres said:
EDIT: Scrap that, as i used to have an active account i assume that means i can get in now.

Yes.

Edit: my bad, didn't see you were in Europe.

Haeleos said:
Does anyone know if we are getting all the Turbine Points retroactively for all the deeds we have completed? I had 55 points last night when I logged out and logging in this morning I have 30... so it actually went down for some reason...
Well according to some responses to me last page, that's exactly what's happening. However, like you, I seem to have much less Turbine Points than I probably should, considering how many deeds I've completed on my level 56 toon. I don't really get it.

Also, I love how I still have my 500,000 Rest XP from the Free Weekends I've been playing over the past year. :lol That'll come in handy up until I hit 60, probably.

Rflagg

Spire said:
I know a lot of GAFFers still play, if your name isn't on the list just post it here. And with the four new servers launching this week, if you guys want to designate a new "official GAF server" just let me know.
I won't cry in my soup if it doesn't happen, but a gaf server and or fellowship could be awesome I think. Downloaded and patching atm, won't be able to try it until the 10th since I am a new player, will get the complete version of Mirkwood or disk Moria if I like it.

notworksafe

I'll be making a Kinship on Silverlode for anyone that wants to join up with us. It's mostly just people from my WoW guild (quite a few are GAF members), but everyone is welcome. I believe HarryDemeanor is already going to join up.

Assuming UPS isn't a giant failure and gets the game delivered today (they tricked me yesterday) I'll be online tonight!

I'll be hopping on with a F2P account sometime in the next week or so when I'm not working or playing BBS. Probably Brandywine as that seems to be the go to server.

Not yet. The story is currently up to Rhovanian (Mirkwood, to be specific). I'd expect Gondor to be in the expansion after the next one (Rohan is between 'em so it'll probably come first).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
hamchan said:
Um, is Gondor in this game?

Not yet. Game currently has most of Eriador, Moria, Lothlorien, and part of Mirkwood. Rohan and Isengard has been in development for a while, it should be out within the next year or so. After that, Gondor is next on the list.

notworksafe

I don't even care about the lore at all (disliked the books, fell asleep during the movies) but I'm really interested in the crafting. Everyone I know calls it the best crafting since original SWG so I'm stoked to try it out.

I think I'll probably go Yeoman to start, and see what I like from there.

demolitio

I'm taking a guess you can't download the client right now since the site is undergoing maintenance?

Also, if I buy Mines of Moria or any other expansion for cheap at the store, will it work with the free to play client or must I buy them through the Turbine store?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Oh wow this is already launching? I haven't been paying attention.

Borgrond of Elendilmir. In since beta late '06. Lifetime subscriber. Here's mah dude, he's a Loremaster:

u6fUD.jpg

ILm0B.jpg

DrXym

darkwing said:
is the game based on the movies?

No, but they get as close to ripping off some elements as they can go. I think the game would be far more popular if they were able to licence the movie for various things.

Haeleos

notworksafe said:
I don't even care about the lore at all (disliked the books, fell asleep during the movies) but I'm really interested in the crafting. Everyone I know calls it the best crafting since original SWG so I'm stoked to try it out.

I think I'll probably go Yeoman to start, and see what I like from there.

I'll be honest... Farming is boring as shit. But I really like cooking.

Luckily my jewelcrafting and mining help me pay for what farming supplies I need.

demolitio said:
Also, if I buy Mines of Moria or any other expansion for cheap at the store, will it work with the free to play client or must I buy them through the Turbine store?

It will work with the free to play client. You put the Moria key into your account and it opens up the Moria content for you in the game. You don't have to install anything extra. Also, if it's your first time spending money on anything LotRO related, you will be bumped up to Premium status permanently.

AndyD

aka andydumi
And my VUVUZELA!

Gandalf man, you broke my Vuvuzela... no wait, it still works VOOOOOO!!!

demolitio said:
I'm taking a guess you can't download the client right now since the site is undergoing maintenance?

It will work fine. I bought Mirkwood complete on ebay for 12 bucks. So I get the two expansions as well as a lot of little things like extra character slots and so forth. And 30 days of VIP benefits, which I will use to get myself the riding skills.

I suggest reading the FAQ in the OP as to what you actually get, but it is fantastic value.

Yaweee

darkwing said:
is the game based on the movies?

As for a more specific answers than the others:

They have obtained a license based on the books, but not not the much more expensive movies. So there is no likenesses of actors, or reused music from the movies, or copies of specific architecture and art. However, they did do an fantastic job building an extremely detailed world, thanks to how things were described in the books and the extensive notes, family trees, and incomplete works that Tolkien left behind and his son developed. I really enjoyed what I played of the game. Definitely one of the best MMOs that I've tried.

My biggest gripe was the central Book/Chapter structure for the main quest line, how you had to do them in order, with many (but not necessarily consecutive) steps requiring parties. That and the forced RPing (no distinct servers) were huge turn-offs.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
DrXym said:
No, but they get as close to ripping off some elements as they can go.

Many of the things that seem to be direct copies from the films are so well described in the book as to leave little room for anything else. It's more that the films did a better job of sticking to the source material than they needed to.

So I already have a couple of level 40-somethings (Hunter and Minstrel). If I downloaded the game would I be able to play them for free or would I have to buy additional content to access the zones for that level range. I think I was around Misty Mountains or Angmar... maybe North Downs. I actually bought and own up to the Mines of Moria expansion

Also, if my gold, bank, and advancement slots and stuff are limited what happens when I load up a character who's already surpassed those limits in F2P mode?

Top Bottom