• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Sloegr

gblues said:
Not for the riding skill. It will tell you the scope of the items in the LOTRO store. For riding skills, it's per-character. Other upgrades are per-account (like bags and character slots).

Thanks. I am still downloading the client and haven't checked the store yet.

geeko420 said:
I know where my free 500 points for playing in the beta are going, Riding skill all the way!

EDIT: What server should I play on other than Brandywine, I'm not willing to deal with the queue. no vip :/.

I got the e-mail but I didn't receive any points. =( Wonder why since I was in the beta.

geeko

Tideas said:
wait, i played beta too. how'd u get 500 points?

Just got an Email today saying F2p was open to everyone now, and it included a redemption code for 500 points for taking part in the beta.

Edit: email had this:

As a LOTRO Beta Participant we're giving you 500 Turbine Points as our way of saying thank you. Your participation in the Beta has helped us to make the game a success so we want to make sure your experience with the new LOTRO F2P is a success too!

To redeem the code, go to the LOTRO Store and click the Add Points button in the top-right section. Then, click on the REDEEM MY CARD button. Finally, select Turbine Points Code as the type of points code to redeem, then copy and paste the point code below into the Enter Points Code field and click REDEEM NOW.

Haeleos

Tideas said:
quoting myself. anyone?

They made multiple accounts.

So I went with the VIP pack for $5. When I go to register the key, it asks for credit card information and my desired monthly subscription package?? Anyone else getting this?

I imagine they are asking you this so that it can auto-renew you for the VIP every month. Once you input payment information, you can cancel subscription through that same page so it doesn't auto renew and you will still have your free month.

Matt322

geeko420 said:
Just got an Email today saying F2p was open to everyone now, and it included a redemption code for 500 points for taking part in the beta.
Thanks for mentioning that, I completely missed that.

Wooo, I'm heading back in! Do I need to do anything special to get my account F2P or do I just jump in? I'm dl'ing the game client now.

I'd also like to know what server everyone is on and if I could get a guild invite. That would be fun!

So shortly after TimeKillr was gracious enough to send me his extra VIP code, I decided to spend the $5 on the D2D deal so I could get the points, and of course, now I also have an extra VIP code. Quote me and you'll get a PM :)

Sloegr

Mr. Snrub said:
So shortly after TimeKillr was gracious enough to send me his extra VIP code, I decided to spend the $5 on the D2D deal so I could get the points, and of course, now I also have an extra VIP code. Quote me and you'll get a PM :)

yes please =)

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
All of you that don't have invites, I've got you on my friends list and the next time you log on I'll throw you an invite.

Yeah, super surprised with this one. A much, much more solid title than I'd originally guessed, and I've gone in one day from thinking there was 0 chance of spending any real money on it to considering my first purchases almost immediately.

The community is actually nice and helpful, which is a night and day difference from WoW, and most online games in general. There was a guild just handing out good starter equipment today for the influx of f2p people. Very encouraging.

Anyway, I'm Cacophonic (human minstrel) on Brandywine, already in the gaf guild and enjoying my new home.

ne1

Does anyone know if you could register and use a european copy of, for example, Moria on the american servers? Or if there is anywhere online where you can buy the american version cheaply?

WinFonda

Do they delete free trial characters or something? My free trial acct from a year ago, where I leveled up a warden to level 22ish is no longer there... or is it because he's a Warden and I need to unlock the class for him to show up? But he's not listed on my account on the website either, strange.

nataku

Hmm. Hopefully some beta emails are a little behind. I got an email saying it was going F2P, but it didn't include any kind of code or mention of the beta. It just looks like a generic announcement email. I could use 500 free Turbine points.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Installing now. Haven't played since the games original beta. Have they done anything with the music system? I remember that being pretty awesome.

Shambles

Ugh trying to get LOTRO is like a game itself, a really shitty game. After creating another account since the 14 day trial one I tried to create earlier is giving me nothing but problems I find even my completely made up username that I use as a last resort is already taken. Now that i'm logged in all I can see is a list of servers and the client doesn't let me do anything more. What is more however is that apparently there is seperate versions of the game for higher and lower settings? Wtf is that? As my download was around 6 gigs i'm pretty sure I got the shitty client. I'm throwing in the towel

So you don't even need to buy the game to play this? Sweet.

Also I'm Zarlyn in the game on Brandywine - I'd like to joint he guild. :D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I really wish the Free accounts had at least one Auction spot to post something. I chose the Explorer Vocation thinking I would be able to sell at least one item at the Auction House, should have read the FAQ more carefully.

Alex

Yeah, they handled the information and run out a bit confusingly. It's one of the better MMOs on the market in recent years though. If you want to see a bad MMO, there's a certain upcoming very pretty one thats probably worse than the most low-rent Korean POS you can think of.

So a quick question...

Bought LOTRO at launch and played to max level until i quit(wasn't much to do back then) but figured I'd pop back in and check it out now.

Can I use my old LOTRO account for the f2p version?

On my turbine account I can't even see if I have LOTRO registred, do I need to reregister the serial nr again or do I have to get a f2p ser.nr?

Sloegr

cartoon_soldier said:
That Pando Network based client download is awful.

Any alternative download methods?

I'm downloading the client from Fileplanet for that very reason. Hopefully it will work, but I haven't tested it myself yet.

Wallach

jakershaker said:
So a quick question...

Bought LOTRO at launch and played to max level until i quit(wasn't much to do back then) but figured I'd pop back in and check it out now.

Can I use my old LOTRO account for the f2p version?

On my turbine account I can't even see if I have LOTRO registred, do I need to reregister the serial nr again or do I have to get a f2p ser.nr?

You should be fine. In fact you should be able to log straight into the game with your old account.

Started a character on Brandywine. Add me to the guild. Elven Lore-master named Asforath. I'm pretty new to MMOs, having only a little experience with WoW (first 2 months after launch) and some PvE Guild Wars/Factions.

firex

Coldsnap said:
I have a question. My friend and I are trying to do a healing / tank scheme to make it easy, I see Warden is the healer but you have to unlock it with monies. What is up with this? Can loremaster heal?
I'm sure this has been answered more than once, but wardens don't heal and loremasters are kind of a weak off-healer (i.e. they can heal with some limited cooldowns, but not to the point that they are capable of actually healing a full group by themselves). The two real healer classes are minstrel and runekeeper. Runekeeper is of course locked unless you buy mines of moria.

I should say wardens technically heal, but only themselves, and only as a way to make them able to sustain their own lives as tanks.

Shanadeus

Banned
Have any deed farming guides popped up yet?
Would really like to get enough TP to get some basic quest packs, or for the travel ability.

CoLaN

This game is incredibly relaxing to play. I got to agree with GDJustin, it shares the same core mechanics as other MMOs, but it's slower paced and really enjoyable from a narrative standpoint.

The graphics on DX11 with everything maxed on are also great.

Mine is full of jaggies and low texture to allow it to run smoothly on my laptop, but i can still appreciate the atmosphere, plus the music is great.

For guys that have turbine account(with ddo or something) you need to either call or send email to lotro guys and they will send you free code. Or you can make new account, lots of posts about this on their forums.

Cheech

czartim said:
Yeah, created a new account and it works fine. Creating a character on Brandywine as we speak.

Yeah, I'll just hang tight. I play DDO all the time, and I'd rather just have one account for both games.

Sloegr

Eaten By A Grue said:
How are you guys even creating free accounts, it is like the main page is screwed up when I submit my information. It shows a window in a window when I click "submit".

Did you figure this out? I'm having the same problem.

Top Bottom