• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

BooJoh

nacire said:
Anyone know if I can use my old account as a free account now? Do you have to enter a product key for free play?
I had an account from when I was in the original Closed Beta of LotRO and then a week trial after it launched. I never subscribed or entered any keys, and I was able to log in and play yesterday.

Anyone know what the deal is with the low level "basic mounts"? I got an ingame tutorial popup when I dinged 7 or 8 telling me to go to Bree and get my first mount, but I forgot the NPC's name and can't find any information on it now.

I received my Mines of Moria order from Amazon today and it is the "complete" version that includes Mirkwood. I've yet to open the box because I'm at work.

But when I get home, what do I have to do in order to unlock the content in F2P LOTRO? I assume I'll have to register some keys... in the "myaccount" section on Turbine's site? Also, will I need to install the discs or was all the expansion content included in the F2P download? Or is the expansion content available for download?

I'm playing on an Alienware M11x... I have no DVD drive.

ag-my001

BooJoh said:
I had an account from when I was in the original Closed Beta of LotRO and then a week trial after it launched. I never subscribed or entered any keys, and I was able to log in and play yesterday.

Anyone know what the deal is with the low level "basic mounts"? I got an ingame tutorial popup when I dinged 7 or 8 telling me to go to Bree and get my first mount, but I forgot the NPC's name and can't find any information on it now.

Mounts are handled at a camp location north of Bree. Head north up the main road, then take a right when you see the Horse-fields on your map.

Reluctant-Hero said:
I received my Mines of Moria order from Anazin today and it is the "complete" version that includes Mirkwood. I've yet to open the box because I'm at work.

Do you have a link to product you ordered?

Where can i choose Brandywine server? I can't see it on my list, is it just US server?
edit: yes it is lol
Is there a Europe server a lot of GAF are on?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Reluctant-Hero said:
I received my Mines of Moria order from Amazon today and it is the "complete" version that includes Mirkwood. I've yet to open the box because I'm at work.

But when I get home, what do I have to do in order to unlock the content in F2P LOTRO? I assume I'll have to register some keys... in the "myaccount" section on Turbine's site? Also, will I need to install the discs or was all the expansion content included in the F2P download? Or is the expansion content available for download?

I'm playing on an Alienware M11x... I have no DVD drive.

Just register the keys, you don't have to install from the discs you can just download everything.

ag-my001 said:
Mounts are handled at a camp location north of Bree. Head north up the main road, then take a right when you see the Horse-fields on your map.
Did they change it for F2P? I received a mount "whistle" when I completed the intro section. I called that horse several times last night.

BooJoh

Reluctant-Hero said:
Did they change it for F2P? I received a mount "whistle" when I completed the intro section. I called that horse several times last night.
The one you get in the mail says it has a 24 hour duration. It was a couple levels later that the ingame hints told me to go get a mount in Bree.

BooJoh said:
The one you get in the mail says it has a 24 hour duration. It was a couple levels later that the ingame hints told me to go get a mount in Bree.
Oh crap. So basically I need to high tail it to Bree before my noobie horse goes "poof"!

Tideas

Banned
Can u do the D2D multiple times to get the points?

It seems cheaper to get some points that way than buying it with Turbine

antonz

Nolimit_SS said:
Gonna download it over night. How many GB should I expect? And is there a lot(any?) patching after it's done?
It is 10GB download. no patch that I saw.

I do have a problem maybe someone can help with. I tried to login with my old account and it tells me I dont have an active subscription try another username. any advice?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So people are enjoying this more than the Everquest 2 F2P? I actually would have stuck with that (and probably be tempted to shell out cash) if it wasn't for the stupid limit on bag space.

Does this F2P model have an arbitrary bag space limit?

Need activation key to add it to existing account and I can't create new one(had someone create this one for me, strange network problem).
Anyone got buddy key or something like that that I can use to activate account?

Wallach

I've got a 30 day VIP code to the first person that quotes me AND says my pies are the best in all of Middle-Earth.

Tideas said:
Don't think this one has mirkwood buddy

How did u guysdo the D2d multiple times? it won't let u buy it twice on the same account, unless u guys made another account?
The copy I received did. I'll post photos tonight.

Wallach said:
I've got a 30 day VIP code to the first person that quotes me AND says my pies are the best in all of Middle-Earth.

Uh, yeah, best pies in Middle Earth although I won't think too hard on what might be in them.

edit: beaten.

So when is it likely the EU F2P will be released now? I'd rather avoid the higher pings of the US servers, although if it's months away then I might as well just join that instead.

BooJoh

Okay, figured out the mount thing.

They sent me all the way to the horse farm in Bree-Land, just to have the guy tell me that in order to ride a mount, I need the Riding Skill, which VIPs can get from a level 20 quest, and everyone can get from the LotRO Store using about 230 Turbine Points.

Coldsnap

I have a question. My friend and I are trying to do a healing / tank scheme to make it easy, I see Warden is the healer but you have to unlock it with monies. What is up with this? Can loremaster heal?

Delio

K got some playtime in. Geez as a Champion (standard warrior class) It's wicked easy to tank and spank mobs. If i had self healing i'd be golden i'm on brandywine btw the name is Deliosan. I'd love a invite to the Gaf group already up to lv 11 oh and another thing how do i get Traits? I've been gaining spots for them but i dunno how to get them.

forrest

formerly nacire
Okay, I rolled an Elven Hunter named Erydor on Brandywine. I'm level 5. Someone invite me to the Gaf guild.

Tideas

Banned
Tideas said:

How did u guysdo the D2d multiple times? it won't let u buy it twice on the same account, unless u guys made another account?

quoting myself. anyone?

Owensboro

So, due to time constraints I downloaded the Low res version.

Anyone know if there is a high rez patch? Or am i going to have to download the High Rez version? I putzed around on their forums and couldn't find anything.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Coldsnap said:
I have a question. My friend and I are trying to do a healing / tank scheme to make it easy, I see Warden is the healer but you have to unlock it with monies. What is up with this? Can loremaster heal?
Minstrel is the default healer not warden btw warden is the alt tank class that comes with moria

Tideas said:

I created two accounts. And you need a phone number for each account, so you really can't use this method to get lots of points unless you have a bunch of phone numbers and email addresses.

Shanadeus

Banned
sykoex said:
So people are enjoying this more than the Everquest 2 F2P? I actually would have stuck with that (and probably be tempted to shell out cash) if it wasn't for the stupid limit on bag space.

Does this F2P model have an arbitrary bag space limit?
This one has 3 bags free out of 5, I dunno really if that'll be an issue or not. Though, this might apply to everyone, free players or not, and you might earn bags for free as you progress (I know that this is the case for DDO, you can't buy any bags and everyone have the same way of getting more bag slots).

Alright, putting game on download and going to bed, hoping someone can share some buddy/trial/any code with me *puppyeyes*prettyplease*

If not I'll have someone make me another account I guess and hopefully it will work.

d0c_zaius

Freakinchair said:
Got the D2D deal as well, but will not be using the actual VIP account code (didn't realize I needed to create a new account when I already have an account with Moria on it). First person to reply to this post I'll PM the code to.

I could use it as I am interested in checking it out.

If its already taken, no worries. Thanks for the offer!

ToddG15

So I went with the VIP pack for $5. When I go to register the key, it asks for credit card information and my desired monthly subscription package?? Anyone else getting this?

How are you guys even creating free accounts, it is like the main page is screwed up when I submit my information. It shows a window in a window when I click "submit".

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Owensboro said:
So, due to time constraints I downloaded the Low res version.

Anyone know if there is a high rez patch? Or am i going to have to download the High Rez version? I putzed around on their forums and couldn't find anything.

If I remember correctly, if you set the textures to hi rez in the game, it'll prompt you to download them either immediately or when you start the game again. You can't really do it in the background or anything like that though, maybe let it run overnight.

Owensboro

Borgnine said:
If I remember correctly, if you set the textures to hi rez in the game, it'll prompt you to download them either immediately or when you start the game again. You can't really do it in the background or anything like that though, maybe let it run overnight.

Thanks thanks! I'm going to try logging in right now. Hope the game is as fun as everyone makes it out to be!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've got two VIP codes for whoever wants them and will start a character on Brandywine with the rest of the GAFfers. Just PM me.

EDIT: All gone!

hamchan

Oh no, having trouble connecting to Brandywine.

EDIT: Yeah it's only Brandywine, can't even get into the queue. Other worlds I can join instantly.

geeko

I know where my free 500 points for playing in the beta are going, Riding skill all the way!

EDIT: What server should I play on other than Brandywine, I'm not willing to deal with the queue. no vip :/.

Sloegr

geeko420 said:
I know where my free 500 points for playing in the beta are going, Riding skill all the way!

EDIT: What server should I play on other than Brandywine, I'm not willing to deal with the queue. no vip :/.

So the riding skill costs money? If you unlock it on one character, is it unlocked for your others as well?

gblues

Banned
ElJuice said:
So the riding skill costs money? If you unlock it on one character, is it unlocked for your others as well?

Not for the riding skill. It will tell you the scope of the items in the LOTRO store. For riding skills, it's per-character. Other upgrades are per-account (like bags and character slots).

Tideas

Banned
geeko420 said:

wait, i played beta too. how'd u get 500 points?

Top Bottom