• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Shanadeus

Banned
So what should a minstrel pick as crafting profession?
I've gone with the scholar one now but I have no idea really what I can do with it, figured it fits the character a bit.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
My Mini chose Explorer for crafting for the ease of making my own armor as a tailor.

It looks like they've reopened The Great Barrow Maze. so now even the free players can play through all of the great barrow instances.

Last night I crunched the numbers on earning TP and I found in Breeland alone, you can earn up to 290 turbine Points if you did every deed. You can probably get similar numbers from the other two starting zones.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Just tried ordering from gamersloot, they canceled my order saying
"We will cancel this order. LOTRO will be free to play, probably in the next 2 days or so. You can google it as well."

I responded, but I had to laugh. :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Evenball said:
My Mini chose Explorer for crafting for the ease of making my own armor as a tailor.

It looks like they've reopened The Great Barrow Maze. so now even the free players can play through all of the great barrow instances.

Last night I crunched the numbers on earning TP and I found in Breeland alone, you can earn up to 290 turbine Points if you did every deed. You can probably get similar numbers from the other two starting zones.

Someone already did all of that work :)
http://lotro.mmorsel.com/p/tpfinder.html

charsace

BlueTsunami said:
Who's the one that had to pay 200 Silver for gear repair? That made lol hard
Sounds like Fount. I had to give him a little armor lol. His Herald is an asshole too. His Herald would run into a mob camp and attack them while we were just scouting the camp.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
charsace said:
Sounds like Fount. I had to give him a little armor lol. His Herald is an asshole too. His Herald would run into a mob camp and attack them while we were just scouting the camp.

Hahahah, I definitely enjoyed reading the whole exchange

Also I cannot express how much I love the Burglar class when it comes to soloing. Once you get the "Diversion" Skill and "Burgle" trying to steal interesting items from enemies becomes addicting. I've already stolen a rare one time Second Tier Tailor recipe that I could use and some other interesting weapons.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
nataku said:
Haven't played much the past couple days because I haven't had the time.

I still haven't seen anyone from the GAF Kinship on to get an invite. :( I added those people who can invite, but we don't seem to have similar play times.

Hmm, guess not. What's your characters name again? I'll be on most of the weekend, I'll try to get you in.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
BlueTsunami said:
Hahahah, I definitely enjoyed reading the whole exchange

Also I cannot express how much I love the Burglar class when it comes to soloing. Once you get the "Diversion" Skill and "Burgle" trying to steal interesting items from enemies becomes addicting. I've already stolen a rare one time Second Tier Tailor recipe that I could use and some other interesting weapons.
Have you gotten Startling Twist yet? It'll become a staple in your soloing ability.

Anno

I never tired of the Shire. Easily the most lovingly crafted area I've ever seen in an MMO, maybe even any game. Just running around on my horse never grows old. Which is good, 'cause I've got like 120 more spiders to kill.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Anno said:
I never tired of the Shire. Easily the most lovingly crafted area I've ever seen in an MMO, maybe even any game. Just running around on my horse never grows old. Which is good, 'cause I've got like 120 more spiders to kill.

Couldn't agree more. I'm delivering pies, which should be totally inane and ridiculous in a videogame, but. instead, I'm absolutely loving it.

A few more screenshots:

2mhj37m.jpg

33wqr2q.jpg

20pwzn5.jpg

BlueTsunami

Evenball said:
Have you gotten Startling Twist yet? It'll become a staple in your soloing ability.

I've actually neglected it, I didn't realize that stunning the enemy actually causes them to stay stunned for the alloted time even when attacking them. Definitely making use of that.

charsace

BlueTsunami said:
I've actually neglected it, I didn't realize that stunning the enemy actually causes them to stay stunned for the alloted time even when attacking them. Definitely making use of that.
It is badass. And mischief mode is great for fellowing.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
BlueTsunami said:

Yeah, Riddle is a mez so it will break on damage but Startling Twist just stuns and you can wail on them. Your abilities that trigger fellowship maneuvers (like Trip and Exploit Opening or whatever it's called) also stun, although you won't trigger a maneuver when soloing. Still, they're usefull for those hard solo fights.

ag-my001

Spire said:
Yeah, Riddle is a mez so it will break on damage but Startling Twist just stuns and you can wail on them. Your abilities that trigger fellowship maneuvers (like Trip and Exploit Opening or whatever it's called) also stun, although you won't trigger a maneuver when soloing. Still, they're usefull for those hard solo fights.

Though note that a conjunction stun is different from a regular stun (except in PvP now), so while soloing with your Burglar, you can get the 8-second stun with Startling Twist, then just before it wears off and the mob gets a stun immunity buff, you can use Exploit Opening for an extra 5-second stun. All the while, make sure you move behind the stunned mob for bonus positional damage.

Tideas

Banned
what I'm curious about is how Turbine is going to use this new wave of publicity and players to improve the game.

The way I see it, everything up to lvl 20 would be bustling with players. However, after that, I can see 20+ level zones dying off, as F2P don't have enough TP to buy the quest packs, and thus will just stay in Bree-land.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tideas said:
what I'm curious about is how Turbine is going to use this new wave of publicity and players to improve the game.

The way I see it, everything up to lvl 20 would be bustling with players. However, after that, I can see 20+ level zones dying off, as F2P don't have enough TP to buy the quest packs, and thus will just stay in Bree-land.

I am starting to move past Breeland and there are more and more people moving too. A lot of people are getting to the point of buying the riding skill near lvl 20 and it seems a lot do at least 1 month of VIP to get the free riding skill and bags. The weakness is the lack of physical points cards at Target or Best Buy. People want to buy with cash and not credit card (presumable dont have one or they are young) and the lack of physical cards seems to be an issue.

The good thing is that the trolls and riffraff that polute Bree chat are probably not going to move past Bree which is good. Its like Barrens chat but worse, for you WoW fans.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Tideas said:

Well, yeah. A lot of people are going to fall off after they run out of free things to do obviously. But there will still be WAY more players in the post-Bree zones than there were when the game was a subscription-only MMO.

Turbine gave a presentation at GDC about just how insanely successful the switch to F2P was for DDO. I knew right then that LOTRO would be switching to F2P, even though nothing had been announced. I wish I would have taken better notes... the whole talk was really enlightening.

One key stat that stuck with me is that once the game switched to free, there was actually a big increase the the number of subscribers. Not an increase in total players, or an increase in occasionally paying players keep in mind. But an increase in the # of people actually paying the full monthly fee.

LOTRO is a better and more accessible game than DDO by a wide margin in my opinion, so I would be surprised if there wasn't a large spike in new subs here, as well.

Kerrinck

Finally left bree and arrived in the Shire, awesome area.
One question though, is it normal there are so few quests available in the shire when compared to bree? I go to almost every town(most of them are pretty small though) and most of them do not even have quests.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Kerrinck said:
One question though, is it normal there are so few quests available in the shire when compared to bree? I go to almost every town(most of them are pretty small though) and most of them do not even have quests.

What level are you? You might have to click the box in Settings that displays low-level quests. There are a *ton* of quests in The Shire.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kerrinck said:

Breelands is actually higher level than Shire. Or about on par. So if you maxed out everything in Breelands, quests in Shire are well below your level and thus they do not appear.

Kerrinck

aidan said:
What level are you? You might have to click the box in Settings that displays low-level quests. There are a *ton* of quests in The Shire.

Yeah, just had to click the box and a ton of quests appeared. Level 18 here so they probably do not give a lot of xp but at least it will unlock a deed or two.
Thanks for the help.

So I bought some TP and picked up the riding skill, but the only horse I can buy is 500s since I'm on a free account?

GDJustin said:
Well, yeah. A lot of people are going to fall off after they run out of free things to do obviously. But there will still be WAY more players in the post-Bree zones than there were when the game was a subscription-only MMO.

Turbine gave a presentation at GDC about just how insanely successful the switch to F2P was for DDO. I knew right then that LOTRO would be switching to F2P, even though nothing had been announced. I wish I would have taken better notes... the whole talk was really enlightening.

One key stat that stuck with me is that once the game switched to free, there was actually a big increase the the number of subscribers. Not an increase in total players, or an increase in occasionally paying players keep in mind. But an increase in the # of people actually paying the full monthly fee.

LOTRO is a better and more accessible game than DDO by a wide margin in my opinion, so I would be surprised if there wasn't a large spike in new subs here, as well.

Well DDO since going F2P has been getting regular content updates as well, which is a good sign.

Tideas said:

The default level cap is only 20?

BlueTsunami

ChoklitReign said:
The default level cap is only 20?

No, you can go beyond 20 its just that Quests start to become below you level and you start getting less and less experience from quests. To be able to progress at a normal rate you need quests that meet your level and after level 21 its all the North Down or Lone Lands (which need to be bought in the LOTR Store).

Still playing on Landroval. 53 Guardian named Thelahir and a 37 Captain named Branfrith. Good to see the shift to F2P bringing in new blood, at least.

dakilla13

I am still a little confused about what I should buy, etc. I used to be a subscriber from launch till a couple months before Mines of Moria launched. So currently, my account is designated as "premium." Does this mean I have free access to all of the Shadows of Angmar content, since I had bought it and was a subscriber?

AndyD

aka andydumi
dakilla13 said:
I am still a little confused about what I should buy, etc. I used to be a subscriber from launch till a couple months before Mines of Moria launched. So currently, my account is designated as "premium." Does this mean I have free access to all of the Shadows of Angmar content, since I had bought it and was a subscriber?

No. The easiest way to explain is F2P and Premium have access to quests in Breeland and starter areas only, and to get quests past that, Lone Lands, North Downs, Angmar, Trollshaws.... you have to be VIP or buy the individual area quest packs.

You can walk into those areas, fight monsters, earn XP, but cannot do quests.

For more detail read the OP.

dakilla13

AndyD said:
No. The easiest way to explain is F2P and Premium have access to quests in Breeland and starter areas only, and to get quests past that, Lone Lands, North Downs, Angmar, Trollshaws.... you have to be VIP or buy the individual area quest packs.

You can walk into those areas, fight monsters, earn XP, but cannot do quests.

For more detail read the OP.

Cool thanks! Looks like I have my work cut out for me. :D

The reasons that more people have subbed since f2p:
- There are more people. More people = more subs
- Part of the appeal of MMOs is being better than the people around you. A conscious or subconscious competition. Plus, you tend to value things the same way people around you value them. If there is a larger community around you (as there is because f2p brought in a bunch more people), you'll see greater worth in "getting ahead" in ways that community values. (Which is why MMOs tend to have spiraling user bases, either up or down.)
- The value of a sub has been placed in new context, seeming to be a better deal because of hwo it compares to the new cash shop prices. And the f2p acts a a demo, increasing your desire to play overall and to have certain features/conveniences.
- $30/3 months special
- 500 free turbine points /mo. for subscribers

commissar

Just a heads up.

If you install the downloader for the game.

And decide to download it later. Pando media booster will secretly auto launch and download it all.

even if you told it to pause because you wanted to download it later in the month due to bandwidth.

I hope both turbine and pando fail as companies and have to close down <3

glaurung

commissar said:
Just a heads up.

If you install the downloader for the game.

And decide to download it later. Pando media booster will secretly auto launch and download it all.

even if you told it to pause because you wanted to download it later in the month due to bandwidth.

I hope both turbine and pando fail as companies and have to close down <3
Don't be so harsh, the Pando upload hogging has been known for months.

Simply download the game, uninstall that Pando piece of shit and you're good to go.

No need to blow a gasket.

commissar

glaurung said:
Don't be so harsh, the Pando upload hogging has been known for months.

Simply download the game, uninstall that Pando piece of shit and you're good to go.

No need to blow a gasket.
oh yeah I knew about the pando upload hogging.
From what I understood it was tied to the game when you launched it or were downloading.

Not choosing to download all 10gbs of the game when the media booster clearly has a pause download option complete with resume shortcut on the desktop.

My suggestion of retirement to those responsible still stands :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Any sites that are selling Moria keys? Or even if someone in the US could buy a copy of the game and I'll PayPal them the cash.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
BattleMonkey said:
So if I'm on a Free account and buy one of the expansions like Mines of Moria, what do I get from buying the expansion?
you get all the quest content of moria (level 50 to 60 content)2 new classes and 2 more character slots.

i still think going to 25ish for ftp then subbing for vip for is best deal.
once your 50ish you wont need any quest in original game you'll only need content from moria and mirkwood and falling back to premium shouldn't really hurt since you can use th 500 points permonth to pay for the addons while subbed as vip

If you buy a boxed U.S. version of Mines of Moria, you are entitled to 30 days VIP subscription play time. This includes access to all the level 20-50 quest zone content between F2P and MoM. After 30 days, you lose access to those quests unless you pay for another month of VIP game time or buy the quests zone packs with Turbine Points in the Turbine Store.

So if you get the expansion and get access to VIP stuff after the 30 days, does it get taken away from you like say having a mount that is for subscribes only.

GDGF

Soothsayer
BattleMonkey said:
So if you get the expansion and get access to VIP stuff after the 30 days, does it get taken away from you like say having a mount that is for subscribes only.

I don't think so. My character from back in the day still has his mount and I don't subscribe anymore. Hard to level him though because he's not high enough to tackle the Mines or Mirkwood content, but he's way too strong for the beginning areas :lol

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

AndyD

aka andydumi
ChoklitReign said:
How much does 1000 TP cost alone? I have no idea what the conversion figure is.

Its usually 100 points per dollar. They sometimes have deals that make that better.

Sloegr

nataku said:
Subbing to VIP for a month is definitely worth it, considering how much sticks with you after you do it.

Do you know if all trait slots, even the ones above your level, remain open after VIP expires?

BlueTsunami

Throwing down $30 for 3 months of VIP isn't bad either. VIP players get 300 Turbine Points for every month they're VIP so you get 3 months of possibly getting through the North Downs and Lone Lands and when you go back to Premium you'll have 900 points to throw around.

Top Bottom