• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Concept17

Don't want to shit on the thread or anything. But I've tried this game a handful of times, including this recent F2P portion. Rolled different characters...and everything is fine..but the gameplay just sucks. Hit detection is weird, animations, everything just feels....off. On top of that the quests are just boring as hell and while the game has great atmosphere, it just can't draw me in at all.

Am I missing something?

Schrade

Concept17 said:
Don't want to shit on the thread or anything. But I've tried this game a handful of times, including this recent F2P portion. Rolled different characters...and everything is fine..but the gameplay just sucks. Hit detection is weird, animations, everything just feels....off. On top of that the quests are just boring as hell and while the game has great atmosphere, it just can't draw me in at all.

Am I missing something?
Perhaps you don't have the combat animation blending option set?

I dunno but the animations in this game blow away most anything out there. The horse animations are some of the best I've seen. Strafe sideways or backwards on your horse - amazing stuff.

I used to play EverQuest and then WoW but I do have to say this game blows both of those away graphics and animation wise.

The only thing I don't like is how some spells/abilities force you to be locked in place until the action completes. You're basically stuck in that move until it finishes.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Schrade said:

I dunno but the animations in this game blow away most anything out there. The horse animations are some of the best I've seen. Strafe sideways or backwards on your horse - amazing stuff.

I used to play EverQuest and then WoW but I do have to say this game blows both of those away graphics and animation wise.

The only thing I don't like is how some spells/abilities force you to be locked in place until the action completes. You're basically stuck in that move until it finishes.

What I dot like is that some move animations take say 2 seconds, but the damage of the move is applied when you click, rather than at the end of the animation. I guess what irks me is that the animation shows a prepare phase and then a hit phase, but the damage is applied at the beginning of the prepare phase, not at the hit phase.

Concept17

Schrade said:

I don't see an option for this.

Can't say I care for the animations much. Pretty mediocre at best. Would love to see if that option helps, but I can't find it anywhere.

Combat seems on par with most MMO's, do you just not like the way it animates?

Loving the Hunter, as it feels like my box has actual power with it's shots and not some pew pew weapon like in many games with bows.

Concept17

BattleMonkey said:
Combat seems on par with most MMO's, do you just not like the way it animates?

Loving the Hunter, as it feels like my box has actual power with it's shots and not some pew pew weapon like in many games with bows.

Yeah, they are very lackluster to me. Just not a lot of 'oompf'. But I think the worst part is that they just aren't timed with when you actually deal damage. The time being damage being dealt, and the animation finishing is rarely the same, and it makes combat in general feel 'off'.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well, I suppose the game can't please everybody. I love it though. In fact I've been using a free account to dual box while I'm leveling new alts. :D

ScreenShot00117.jpg

Some adivice for those reaching level 30 anytime soon:

At level 30, the gift box spits out 4 quests to go talk to people that are worth 10 turbine Points each for a total of 40 free TP. One of them is to talk to a Ranger in Esteldin, but it won't work if you are already questing there, so if you want get that extra TP, get yourself to 30 before you start questing there (which kinda sucks because a lot of quests there start at level 25-ish). The same goes for Oatbarton north of the shire.

The combination of North Downs and Evendim should be enough to get to around level 40 no problem (and quickly too). There are also a bunch of level 31-34 quests in the trollshaws, but most people can and do skip them. Hopefully, if your playing free you bought the quest packs when they were on sale 75% off like I did for my freeboxer. when you are around level 32 you should be ready to quest in Evendim. before you do, make a trip to Rivendell on the far side of the Trollshaws. There is a quest that Aragorn will give called "A Momentous Decision" you that sends you on what is by far the longest questline in the game. All the quests for this questline count as Evendim quests. so if you have the evendim Questpack, you can do them all, even the ones that take place in rivendell and even if you don't have the Trollshaws quest pack (I can confirm this). This questline has over 20 quests that circles the entire lake and ends in a HUUUUGE instance that takes about 2 hours to get through. The end of the quest line has you witnessing the broken sword being reforged. It can be hard to get a group to finish the last instance, but it's worth it.

ScreenShot00118-1.jpg

edit: i should note that while finishing the questline is cool, I've only bothered to do the last instance on one of my characters. its not THAT needed.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I guess it should also be mentioned that a new patch goes live in the next couple weeks, it includes:

- Experience more of Middle-earth - FOR FREE!
Free and Premium players will now be able to access Moria, Lothlórien, Mirkwood, and Enedwaith for FREE! We have adjusted the access of Free and Premium players. You may now follow the Epic Story line through Moria, Mirkwood and, Enedwaith. This includes free access to the following:

- The Legendary item system.
- Attain level 65 (the current level cap).
- Access Moria, Mirkwood, Lothlórien, and Enedwaith regions (basically, the entire world).

Note: You will still need to purchase the appropriate quest packs or expansion packs to access other content (quests, deeds, instances, classes, etc) in these areas.

- Tasks
Tasks are free repeatable quest that players can use to augment their leveling within the game world. We'll have a full developer diary about this new system in the coming weeks, but here's some of what you can expect

- Over 250 new quests.
- 100% FREE to All players.
- Use existing trophy drops.
- NEW Deeds and Rewards.
- Available at all levels, starting at Level 8.
- Infinitely repeatable.

- Barter Wallet
Holds all your skirmish marks, stuff like that. Those items will no longer clog up your inventory.

- Bank Revamp
Here is a dev diary on the new bank. Basically, it's fucking awesome.

image001.png

You can auto sort, filter, rename and customize each tab, resize everything, and all kinds of other crap.

Lore-Masters and Rune-Keepers got a lot of tweaks (including new spells), reputation mounts got an overhaul, Ered Luin got a revamp, and all kinds of other stuff. It's not a major patch, but there is a lot of cool shit in it. It's been on the PTR for awhile, the patch notes are up, and the devs refer to it as the "November Update" so I'd expect it pretty soon.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Now that I've finished Fable III (ugh...), I want to get back into LOTRO. Fable III just reminded me how awesome and detailed Middle-Earth is.

Anno

Just hit level 20 on my Captain last night and tried out a couple skirmishes. They're pretty fun! I don't know how many I could do without a break but they're great for a quick playthrough. Good rewards, too. If anyone wants to group up sometime on Brandywine send a tell to Imithir.

Giolon said:
I'm on Elendilmir as Kaiyadis.

Haeleos said:
I'm on Elendilmir. My character is Haelgrom.

Great job Turbine. I play the game almost every day and I had no idea about this sale. Not even an email...

I'm only level 51, but if you guys need help or anything send Thrid a tell in-game.

I hope you guys purchased the expansion sale.

DrXym

I have to say I've gotten a second wind playing LOTRO now it's free to play. It's easy to forget how frigging massive and epic the world is compared to some other MMOs. Some zones are positively creepy too, such as the barrowdowns.

Best and most surprising thing so far is the game runs on my 10" netbook as well as the desktop PC.

I've bought a few quest packs with my free points, I'll have to see how long my interest is sustained to see if I dip in my pocket to buy some. I don't even know what the conversion rate is.

DiscoJer

Kerrinck said:
Kinda confused here. Aren't the expansions available after the new patch?

They're breaking up the expansions into quest packs (like they did with the original game).

Everyone gets the level cap increase to 65, the ability to use LIs, and you can do the book quests will which let you into Moria and Lorien and Mirkwood.

But if you want to do the other quests in them, or get deeds, you have to buy the quest packs.

Mojojo

THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™: RISE OF ISENGARD™ Announced

NEW FEATURES:

* Experience the Rise of Isengard – The Epic Story continues as the Grey Company makes its way south into Dunland, but troubles arise as their road takes them into lands where Dunlending forces, marshaled by the Wizard Saruman, prepare for war. The Rangers must seek new allies and face dangerous new foes, chief among them the traitor Saruman, whose web of intrigue threatens to endanger your quest, your friends, and your life.
* Increased Level Cap — Players will be able advance their characters up to level 70, gaining access to new traits, virtues, skills and class quests.
* Expanded Monster Play – LOTRO’s monster play system will get a major revamp including opening up the feature to all players, changes to monster player skills and advancement and a brand new region for players to battle for or against the forces of evil.

shitty teaser

Not much info, at least, it's nice to see Lotro is going 'forward' since the switch to F2P. Cautiously optimistic on this one.

DiscoJer

Mojojo said:
Not much info, at least, it's nice to see Lotro is going 'forward' since the switch to F2P. Cautiously optimistic on this one.

Thanks. Better than the sale I was expecting (as they previously said "Get Read for 11:11" or something like that. Which turned out to be a Veteran's Day sale).

Still, the big question is, when? 2011 is a pretty vague date. Hope it's not like the November patch which is hitting Nov 29th.

Mojojo

DiscoJer said:
Thanks. Better than the sale I was expecting (as they previously said "Get Read for 11:11" or something like that. Which turned out to be a Veteran's Day sale).

Still, the big question is, when? 2011 is a pretty vague date. Hope it's not like the November patch which is hitting Nov 29th.

Fall 2011 .. So a good year before release.. but according to community manager Sapience :
Yes there will be updates as we make our way towards Isengard. Obviously we have the November update on the 29th and Executive producer Kate Paiz and Aaron "Rowan" Campbell have already shared some of the information about the new Raid and instance cluster coming in the first part of 2011 in addition to changes in Legendary Items and the removal of radiance gating.
Removal of radiance gating is the best news ever :D

DiscoJer

Fall 2011? Crap. So basically 2 years without any new content? (and the last one, Mirkwood, was only a mini XP).

Yeah yeah, more instance reworking. Since I don't raid, what's the point. And with no level cap increase until Fall, there's no real need to work LIs until then (then again, sparing the new players the awfulness of it is probably a good way to keep some of them).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
For long time players It it seems the change over to F2P really delayed new content. tho if you just started playing in aug/sept like me it seems all good,i'm taking my time theres a ton of stuff left for me to do.

still fall 11 seems long time was hoping they'd have Mirkwood addon sized content out twice a year. Isengard in Spring and Rohan in fall.

I've slowed right down my leveliing due to couple friends trying to catch up so I'm idleing at 52 grinding out crafting and virtue deeds and faction.

Anyone on Brandywine that needs slayer deeds in Everdim/Northdowns/Trollshaw Hitme up.
Groonin Darkmoore Runic Knights.

couple recent pics from
Carn Dun and Everdim
2jg3txj.jpg

25foba0.jpg

Max

I am not Max
Question; if I download the Standard version will I be able to upgrade to the High Res textures later?

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's been a long time since I've logged in. It's a lazy Sunday so why not? Looks like they opened up the game quite a bit more since going FtP.

Max

I am not Max
Be my friend on this game GAF, I need guidance! Anyone actively play? I added the 3 people on the front page to see if I could join the guild but they haven't been on for awhile

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
DiscoJer said:
Fall 2011? Crap. So basically 2 years without any new content? (and the last one, Mirkwood, was only a mini XP).
Enedwaith/Volume 3?

I've never played a MMO very interested in WOW but don't want to make the investment and not have any first hand experience with the Genre is this something a complete MMO noob like myself can learn and easily get into.

I've read the books and seen the movies so I know the lore.

hamchan

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
I've never played a MMO very interested in WOW but don't want to make the investment and not have any first hand experience with the Genre is this something a complete MMO noob like myself can learn and easily get into.

This game is good but not as good as WoW imo. I'd say WoW is the easiest MMO to get into and it has a free 10 day trial you can play.

Daigoro

I don't play MMO's but my wife dropped WoW for this game. She loved WoW, but she liked this better and didn't have time for both.

Personaly I think this game is about 100x more attractive looking, if that matters to you. It doesn't hurt that that its the LOTR theme either.

Also its free. Can't really lose here.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Drunkenthumbmaster said:

WoW and LOTRO are very very similar to one another. They could practically be cousins. Most players that have played one feel very "at home" with the other.

Seeing as LOTRO is free to play, why WOULDN'T you check it out? Download it, make it to level 20 or whenever you would need to buy the first quest pack, and then decide if you feel like buying more content or not.

As someone else mentioned, WoW has a 10-day free trial as well. 10 days is a long time - longer than you might think. Even if you just play a bit in the evenings you'll have a great feel for it by the end.

Mojojo

GDJustin said:
WoW and LOTRO are very very similar to one another. They could practically be cousins. Most players that have played one feel very "at home" with the other.

the 'mood' between the two games is very very different though...
I find Lotro is slower spaced, and you can take your time leveling (even more now that it is F2P), : the journey is more important than the 'endgame' ... I find the immersivness better too with several nice additions (how awesome is it to make a campfire and make food on it :p), the music system and the outfits system, *lots* of emotes, housing, the epic story line. And Turbine is doing a great job with the landscape, heights and narrow trails , i love that :p . I feel like Lotro found the middle ground between 'theme park' and sandbox mmorpgs.

Oh and the Yule festival is very original this year, the Hobbit's theatre is great (throwing rotten tomatoes on actors (players characters that are randomly chosen in the public at each new play ):lol )

Schrade

Mojojo said:
the 'mood' between the two games is very very different though...
I find Lotro is slower spaced, and you can take your time leveling (even more now that it is F2P), : the journey is more important than the 'endgame' ...
Uhh... it's kind of hard to not level up if you like to quest. The quests give sooo much experience that you just level up too damn fast.

The only way to "take your time" and not level up is to not quest.

hiro4

Schrade said:
Uhh... it's kind of hard to not level up if you like to quest. The quests give sooo much experience that you just level up too damn fast.

It used to be much much harder.
Nowadays you can indeed level to 25 in a few hours even if you are complete new to the game.

It is too bad, since I always liked the feel that the Journey was important.
I'm glad though that they made some of the group quests easier, I'm a solo player so.

Mojojo

Schrade said:

Oh yea its still fast but now that i play on premium account, no rest xp, less shortcuts for travelling (though they fixed that, as I was a former subscriber, I can use fast travel again :p)... and I guess trying to grab any Turbine Points I can, makes me feel I spend more time than before in each region:lol

Still concerning the Yule festival, Turbine made an awesome reference to some characters of a popular show, I never thought I would see in the Lotr universe :D
ScreenShot00136.jpg

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?372671-I-have-never-laughed-at-something-in-game-SO-much!

Haeleos

GDJustin said:

In terms of the gameplay, there are a ton of similarities, but take one look outside of the Ironforge bank at the circus freakshow of rocket motorcycles, sparkle horses and mountain dew robots... LotRO's cohesiveness and character customization go along way to immersing me in that world. WoW's great art style has been largely buried under the scatter-shot of random content for the past 3 years.

WoW should steal the costume/dye system that this game has... removing the clown clothes look of the gear in the game would be a start to fixing the mess. (to be fair, LotRO could stand to steal a lot of ideas from WoW... what I wouldn't give for the Dungeon Finder in LotRO.)

DiscoJer

Haeleos said:
In terms of the gameplay, there are a ton of similarities, but take one look outside of the Ironforge bank at the circus freakshow of rocket motorcycles, sparkle horses and mountain dew robots... LotRO's cohesiveness and character customization go along way to immersing me in that world. WoW's great art style has been largely buried under the scatter-shot of random content for the past 3 years.

LOTRO has its share of freakshow outfits. Hell, light and medium armor looks like Underoos until you hit the 30s or so.

And the recent Halloween contest gave out weird critter masks. So people walk around dressed up like goblins and bears and such.

And then there are silly hats:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/12/10/the-road-to-mordor-a-conspiracy-of-hats/

CAW

Are there server restrictions? If I'm in NA can I play on a European server with some friends? Someone was telling me there are two different versions. One from Codemasters and another from Turbine.

update: downloading the EU client.

Not much traffic in this thread lately. I just started playing today and I'm level 10 already. I'm having a bunch of fun tooling around in the Shire.

So is there a guide out there for newbies? I'm not used to MMOs at all, I'd really benefit from some kind of LOTRO guide for new MMO players. I was invited to a Fellowship once, but the guys just kinda scattered, so I didn't see any point to it.

Also, are there any essential items to buy in the LOTRO store? Your bags fill up super quickly with stuff you can't sell (and really seem quite pointless) so bags seem to be a no-brainer. I'm really early in the game right now so I'm not yet interested in expansions or the advanced classes.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

thechristoph said:
Not much traffic in this thread lately. I just started playing today and I'm level 10 already. I'm having a bunch of fun tooling around in the Shire.

So is there a guide out there for newbies? I'm not used to MMOs at all, I'd really benefit from some kind of LOTRO guide for new MMO players. I was invited to a Fellowship once, but the guys just kinda scattered, so I didn't see any point to it.

Also, are there any essential items to buy in the LOTRO store? Your bags fill up super quickly with stuff you can't sell (and really seem quite pointless) so bags seem to be a no-brainer. I'm really early in the game right now so I'm not yet interested in expansions or the advanced classes.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Welcome to LotRO!
LotRO Lorebook
That's one of the best resources out there for info and guides. Just do a search on your class and you're sure to find a number of guides to help you out.

Also, you can access the Lorebook in game. There is a small icon on one of the corners of your minimap. Just hover over all of those icons until you find it. It's pretty slow in game though. I usually just alt+tab out and use my browser.

As far as fellowships go, depends on what you want to do. You can easily solo your way through most of the game. When you pick up quests, take a look at them in your log. They'll have icons that let you know if they are solo, small fellowship (2-4 players), or fellowship. If you're just playing alone (no friends online with you), you can probably just pick up a fellowship when you want to run the fellowship quests. Keep an eye on the LFF channel in your chat window. Usually you'll find someone in there who also wants to run that quest. If you press 'o', you can bring up the looking for group window.

Not to sure about must have items in the lotro store. I've had a monthly account since the game launched, so I usually just blow my points on stat upgrades. Sounds like you already know that you need more inventory space. Maybe just spend points as you come across things like that that you need?

Top Bottom