• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Wrayfield

Thanks, Haeleos. I'm still enjoying it, but the time investment is crazy. It seems everytime I just want to do one or two quests, I end up doing so much stuff and it's already in the middle of the night...

Wrayfield

I have a quick question for Lotro veterans: The attribute rewards for finishing deeds, are they automatically implemented on the character or do I have to decide for one?

Schrade

Wrayfield said:
I have a quick question for Lotro veterans: The attribute rewards for finishing deeds, are they automatically implemented on the character or do I have to decide for one?
If it's a virtue, then it will only be automatically implemented if you have equipped that trait at a Bard in a city. i.e. if you have equipped Determination and then you finish a deed that gives you an additional point to Determination, you don't have to do anything. But if you finish a deed that gives you Valour and you never had it equipped you'd have to go to the Bard and equip it.

Wrayfield

Schrade said:
If it's a virtue, then it will only be automatically implemented if you have equipped that trait at a Bard in a city. i.e. if you have equipped Determination and then you finish a deed that gives you an additional point to Determination, you don't have to do anything. But if you finish a deed that gives you Valour and you never had it equipped you'd have to go to the Bard and equip it.

Thanks, exactly the info I needed :)

Ken

So out of boredom and because Dragon Nest is currently offline, I decided to ride around Bree and set fire to the stables.

f0b357f7.png

DiscoJer

Ken said:
DigitalRiver is rejecting my payment for Isengard. Oh well. Maybe I can pay for it with Turbine Points.

It's baffling that Turbine chose that company (which is apparently plagued with problems like that) as the sole method of selling the expansion.

Other than using Turbine points, where it will cost twice as much (6000 points vs $30).

Anyway, anyone still playing? I'll probably log in to see the changes, but I won't be buying the expansion until it goes on sale in the store (as I only have about 3000 points anyway...not even enough to get the quest pack)

Anton668

well, I preordered Isen. And when I went to apply my code I was greeted with

You cannot upgrade a suspended subscription. Please reactivate the subscription first and try again. [err: 29306]
ATTENTION: One or more of your subscriptions has been suspended or downgraded from VIP status due to non-payment. Please re-enter your billing information or apply a Game Card now to reactivate your subscription(s). After successfully updating your billing information, click either “Resume” or “Get Unlimited Access” to restore the subscription`s former Active or VIP status.
Click here to update your billing information now.

I let my VIP go and have been premium for some time now. Seems there is a holdover from before it went F2P.

joy...

Schrade

I'm having an absolute blast in RoI. It's SO nice to have new content to explore and do quests in. I'm only level 71 and am halfway through it but I'm sure I'd be 75 if I didn't have to work full time :p

Been staying up far too late at nights playing hehe.

Ken

Got Isengard but sadly found out something is wrong with my laptop that causes it to overheat when I play any games. Also, Dark Souls is out next week so I don't know when I'll play. Maybe I'll save it for later. I'm on Nimrodel if anyone else is.

DiscoJer

Ken said:
Got Isengard but sadly found out something is wrong with my laptop that causes it to overheat when I play any games.

Are you using any sort of game boosting performance software?

I had that same problem on my laptop, and it turns out I was using a program to shut down unnecessary services (Game Booster it's called) which apparently thought the fan control was unnecessary. Woops.

DiscoJer

Looks like Turbine is having a security breach of their own via the forums

The first story on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/LOTRO

We have identified a potential issue in the forum system. As a precautionary measure we have disabled our forums while we investigate. We will bring the forums back online when we complete our work. We thank you for your patience.

Schrade

Yep. That sucks :-/ Just can't get away from these database hacks.

I've been really enjoying the expansion though. Made it to 75 the Saturday after RoI released. The jump in DPS is huuuuge. It was so hard giving up my old armor but once I did it really helped out a bunch. Once you get to level 75 you can get some really nice things to beef up morale and power again, too.

Loving the outfits. Here's a picture of my outfit (I'm on the right, standing next to a Rohirrim buddy)

16gldo5.jpg

DiscoJer

Heh, my main character has the same face (only with a goatee)

GalDress2.jpg

(Not that he normally wears a dress, just the only pic I have of him, because I found it mildly amusing when he got a dress for Xmas 2 years ago)

DiscoJer

And it looks like they've escalated things a little bit, telling people to change their passwords.

http://www.lotro.com/news/latestnews/1497

Recently, we were made aware of an issue with the security of our LOTRO community web applications. Protecting player accounts is a top priority and we take any potential issues seriously. As a result, we closed all of our forums as we investigate the situation. We are continuing to investigate and the forums will not reopen until this work is complete.

As an additional precaution we recommend that all players change their passwords by visiting http://myaccount.turbine.com. Please remember to use unique, hard-to guess passwords that are not associated with other online services or sites, and always look for and report unusual activity in your account to Turbine customer support.

Hopefully they will go back to the old style forums, where you had a different login than from the game itself. That just makes sense, even if you aren't talking about someone hacking the forum database (or whatever).

Ken

DiscoJer said:
And it looks like they've escalated things a little bit, telling people to change their passwords.

http://www.lotro.com/news/latestnews/1497

Hopefully they will go back to the old style forums, where you had a different login than from the game itself. That just makes sense, even if you aren't talking about someone hacking the forum database (or whatever).
I thought they were using different login names for the forums and the game?

Almost to 67 now; only started about two days ago. Seems alright so far and some of the rewards are actually useable.

Just cancelled my Account (yea I was subscribed to it).

Rise of Isengard is just plain bad to me.

Re-starting the Legendary Grind all over again. First 3rd age 65, then 2nd age 65 and if you get lucky 1st age 65 again. Just bad:
- Decons only give max tier 2 legacy
- Only 3 legacies on items now instead of before where 2nd/1st age used to have 4
- Lucky if any of those legacies is a T4 (max) legacy you actually want
- Scrolls are either from skirms or LOTRO store. Nothing from normal questing.
- No scroll of delving available apart form the store. So spend money.

Crafting gear grind again, UNLESS you have got a shit load of gold:
- Sigil = new Mithril Flake, or even worse.
- Use it for your crafted level 75 gear. Oh, those only have like a 62% max chance to crit. So if it doesn't crit, grind some more.
- Either have a shit load of gold to buy them of AH, or just PURE damn luck and hope they drop while grinding.
- In my leveling to 75 only had 3 drop, my fellow guild made had 3 drop by the time he leveled to 66.

Just ONE new Raid. No new dungeons/instances.
Run 12 man skirms (and god forbid you fail) and School/Lib. The same instances you were running since like ever.

Don't have rested XP? Don't want to use LOTRO Store XP Bonus? Be prepared to be out of quests before reaching level 75.

DiscoJer

And they just announced a new expansion, "Riders of Rohan", which if you are a long time player, was rumored to be the expansion after Moria. So nice to finally see it.

http://www.lotro.com/news/pressrele...f-the-rings-online-riders-of-rohan?lang=en_US

New Expansion to The Lord of the Rings Online™ Launching Fall 2012
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment unveiled today The Lord of the Rings Online™: Riders of Rohan™, the latest expansion to the award-winning free-to-play massively multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) developed by Turbine. Riders of Rohan expands the online world of Middle-earth where players join forces to ride into the Plains of Rohan. Riders of Rohan launches in the Fall of 2012 with an increased level cap, the vast plains of Rohan including iconic locations such as Amon Hen and Fangorn Forest, the new Mounted Combat system and much more!

“2011 was another banner year for The Lord of the Rings Online with consistent growth for the game, a successful unification of our European and North American services and the success of Rise of Isengard, our best selling expansion to date.” said Kate Paiz, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online. “This is going to be another outstanding year as we celebrate our fifth anniversary and introduce a wealth of new content throughout the year, ending with our arrival in Rohan. One of our largest expansions ever, Rohan is expected to be twice the size of the recent Rise of Isengard expansion and includes the most new game systems and technology we've introduced since 2008's Mines of Moria.”

NEW FEATURES:

* Experience the Riders of Rohan – Join with the Rohirrim and ride across the sprawling Plains of Rohan; witness the breaking of the Fellowship at Amon Hen; forge alliances with the Ents of Fangorn; and aid Éomer, adopted son of Théoden, as he seeks to protect his homeland from the growing Shadow.

* Introducing Mounted Combat – Ride into Combat atop your loyal War-steed as you defend the people of Rohan from the forces of Isengard and Mordor. Customize your War-steed’s armor and level its skills over time to aid you in mounted defense of King Theoden’s lands. Mount your steed and gather your fellows to fight against Warbands, contingents of roving warg riders that have been scouted all over the Plains of Rohan! It falls to you to head off and defeat this new threat before they over take the land.

* Advance to level 85 – Continue your legend in the next chapter of The Lord of the Rings Online. Experience new adventures in the epic story, and gain new skills and deeds as you face new challenges on your journey to 85!

Also supposedly you'll be able to take our your skirmish solider on the landscape (not just skirmishes) a la SWTOR

inky

I should probably do the same, but I hate my main (human guardian, lvl 70ish) and my alts are all in the 20s. I would like to have a high lvl Rune Keeper, but I don't have the energy for these kind of MMOs anymore. Also, I agree completely with cartoon_soldier's post.

They have no fucking clue what to do with some stuff to make it interesting, and the more interesting stuff already in is being held behind the pay wall, like not being able to craft the top items even if you bought the fucking expansion. You have to unlock access in each guild on top of that. I only got the expansion because I had a shitload of TPs, but I didn't realize at the time they were selling it by pieces basically (so $30 from the site store, $60 buying it with points; ridiculous) and people are not even running the new raid that much anyways, from what I've heard at least.

I kinda wish my friends didn't like playing this game, so I could finally drop it for good.

sca2511

GF just bought us the Mithril edition and it's pretty good just for the Path of the Fellowship quest pack and the 2500TP (500 from Gamestop pre-order). Found out about the Rise of Isengard expansion and it sounds good if you want to spend $20 more for a more complete package. If someone just wants to level straight up and use the TP for a quest pack later for level 60+, just get the Mithril edition.

Though we're not close to the endgame yet, seems to be dissapointing after reading cartoon_soldier and inky's posts.

Too bad barely anyone else plays on Riddermark =\

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm starting to play this, but my PC's on my tv. I can find a way to scale everything in the UI up except the quest dialogs, is there any way to make those boxes of text bigger?

Now that the game's available on Steam I thought of giving it a fair try. I'm still lost in regards to almost everything that doesn't involve killing easy mobs, mainly because of my inexperience with MMOs. However, I'll see where the road leads me.

Ken

Now that the game's available on Steam I thought of giving it a fair try. I'm still lost in regards to almost everything that doesn't involve killing easy mobs, mainly because of my inexperience with MMOs. However, I'll see where the road leads me.

To Mordor.

elfinke

Yeah I just grabbed it this afternoon to blow some of my bandwidth out before the rollover period (also grabbed Dungeons and Dragons Online). 2hrs of downloading to go.

How have you found it so far?

Gaspode_T

I must be missing something about the appeal of this game, even though I am a big LOTR fan...the hobbit intro/tutorial has left me thinking I should just uninstall and try D and D online instead...why? I have graphics setting on Ultra High and it still looks like Everquest 1...the way the geometry of hills are textured etc. I am a little kidding but also not really, the art in WoW looks much nicer.

I don't know why I expected it to be fancier instead of very traditional MMORPG, but the way the quests are triggered literally feels like a late 90s game...oh no! I will be attacked by spiders please protect me! (10 seconds later a single spider comes down as slow as a slug)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I must be missing something about the appeal of this game, even though I am a big LOTR fan...the hobbit intro/tutorial has left me thinking I should just uninstall and try D and D online instead...why? I have graphics setting on Ultra High and it still looks like Everquest 1...the way the geometry of hills are textured etc. I am a little kidding but also not really, the art in WoW looks much nicer.

I don't know why I expected it to be fancier instead of very traditional MMORPG, but the way the quests are triggered literally feels like a late 90s game...oh no! I will be attacked by spiders please protect me! (10 seconds later a single spider comes down as slow as a slug)

The landscapes should look beautiful if you really play on full details, double-check the options again. At least miles ahead of other older MMOs.
The gameplay itself by now is pretty much WoW all over again, yes.

D&D does look way worse, so you might just skip that one, too ;)

Gaspode_T

I have Star Trek Online downloading right now...I dont really want to get addicted to MMORPG but I kind of want to see what I have missed these few years since I played WoW...

I also have some sort of unrealistic expectations of my Kepler graphics card...like it will make any game look like Skyrim, which obviously is not the case...

Anton668

I have Star Trek Online downloading right now...I dont really want to get addicted to MMORPG but I kind of want to see what I have missed these few years since I played WoW...

I also have some sort of unrealistic expectations of my Kepler graphics card...like it will make any game look like Skyrim, which obviously is not the case...

if you were disappointed with LOTRO dont waste your time with STO.
worse graphics with barely any content. and thats fed side. if you roll a klingon toon....
i hope you love pvp

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
if you were disappointed with LOTRO dont waste your time with STO.
worse graphics with barely any content. and thats fed side. if you roll a klingon toon....
i hope you love pvp

Well if he's disappointed with the Hobbit starting area of all things, he basically could just stop downloading any F2P MMOs IMO :) That's as good as it gets for first impressions.

DodgerSan

Couple of questions on the Mithril edition.

Does the path of the fellowship just add the quests when you get to those areas? Or does something add to your quest log? Also is the steed account wide?

Cheers!

Ken

So I had a crazy idea to go back to LotRO and start up a thief. Anyone know how long it takes to reach max level currently?

I have a hunter at max level but that was before the recent updates and before it went F2P so I don't know if they tweaked the leveling curve or anything.

Schrade

Leveling up is pretty fast. Just make sure you keep questing at or above your level. Take white/orange quests...tons of experience.

I've been playing in the Riders of Rohan beta and it's awesome. The lands are HUGE! The artists have outdone themselves with everything.

DiscoJer

Anyone else having trouble patching? My internet died while it was downloading a patch, now that it's working again it just says "Cannot save data files"

Top Bottom