• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overplayed story trope - How many cases of video game amnesia can we name?

Vawn

Banned
If you play enough video games, you would think amnesia is as common as getting a cold.

Rules - Name ONE character from a video game who suffers or once suffered from amnesia. Feel free to name another after at least one other person has posted another.

I'll start us off -

Final Fantasy XIV - Cid / Marques

latest

I get why it's used so often, fish out of water is the perfect way to justify constant exposition about the world of the game and how it works. This is true of all forms of media. As an author myself I find myself often wanting to go the amnesia trope. In fantasy worlds you don't always need it, you can do the whole "everything from back then was forgotten" thing. But it's weird having a character who knows all they need to know right off the bat.

Sejan

I groan a bit when I see amnesia brought up, but it would just be awkward to explain basic facts of life to a character that should obviously know these things. Lore heavy games desperately need someone to explain things to. Otherwise, these games are talking to the player directly for exposition.

The amnesiac, inquisitive kid, time traveller, and really dumb character that needs everything spelled out are here to stay.

If you don’t have someone like this, you’ll get stuck with an over attentive companion or a know-it-all character.

My submission in Rune Factory 4
The character starts with his memory, but loses it shortly after taking control of the character.

Stella Glow's Protag is...half Amnesia and half Ressurection.

Does Mario count? Bowser seems to always kidnap Peach forgetting how he is beaten by Mario so many times. Even Donkey Kong only challenged Mario once before retiring.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Not sure if this qualifies but Cloud in FF7 comes to mind. His is probably more of a psychotic break that caused him to forget his real past and substitute it with somebody else's.

Terra in FF6 is another one. Seems like a prevalent theme in FF games.

Last edited:
Muh ludonarrative dissonance.

Amnesia solves a very basic videogame narrative problem: why is the player kept from knowledge that the character should already have?

i.e. why do I need to go read the sticky-note with the 4-digit door code when my character is the one who wrote it down?
i.e. why do I need to level up my "sword" skill when I'm already supposed to be a seasoned warrior / bounty hunter / Chosen One?

Vawn

Banned
Tell me more. This game is on my PSN wishlist and just waiting on a price drop.

Have you played other Tales games? If so, you know what to expect. It was my favorite Tales game, but that's probably only because it was my first. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but they're enjoyable enough action JRPGs.

V2Tommy

Have you played other Tales games? If so, you know what to expect. It was my favorite Tales game, but that's probably only because it was my first. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but they're enjoyable enough action JRPGs.

Played a few before and everything since Vesperia, only missing Graces F. Finishing up Xillia 2 now. I find the games totally fine, with Zestiria's complex level design my only grudge.

Top Bottom