• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most UNDERRATED GTA Game Ever (GTA 4)

Miles708

If anything, is greatly overrated for what is a clunky shooter with ridiculous checkpoints and horrible controls.
The story makes no sense after the initial beats.

Yeah driving is nice but the rest sucks big time. How did it even make that much success is the real question.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I played GTA 4 on release on PC back in 08, firstly it was a poor port on PC then secondly, it lacked the fun of San Andreas with a lot of GTA fans saying it was a city simulator at the time, it did get better with the dlc's though, i would only put it above GTA V in the amount of single player content on offer, GTA V was a better sp game, but there wasn't enough of it.

nush

It was overrated by the press,

Driving control was shit
No mid mission checkpoints, failing often due to shit driving controls.
No fun allowed
"Hey cousin let's go bowling".

TBOGT was great though with the tweeks.I love that version a lot.

Not sure how it’s considered underrated, I see it get plenty of praise and is always in the conversation when it comes to discussing the best GTA games.

I liked all of the GTA games, but, GTA IV has always been my favorite one. Like the music, the story, even the annoying characters. I can put aside the few “cons” about the game, it’s still fun to play for me.

Rickyiez

98 metascore is not underrated, if anything it's overrated. IMO it's 70-75 at best. Terrible gunplay and driving mechanic, boring and brown city, forgettable soundtrack

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah it still didn't have mid mission checkpoints in sodding 2008. It deserves about 10 kick in the bulls just for that (or 10 points reducted on metacritic)

At the end of the day it was still a clunky linear 3rd person shooter where you get to dick around in an open world between mission. No amount of crobcat videos showing off "details" will change that.
sure, it's clunky today.... but no much more than rdr2 and certainly not as clunky than San andreas which is only 4 years older.
Returning to san andreas today is like a punch in the face. Junk, terrible controls and tens of bloat missions.
gta 4 modernized the controls and put graphics to next level. Rockstar games never looked good before that

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
300full-grand-theft-auto-iv-photo.jpg

sure, it's clunky today.... but no much more than rdr2 and certainly not as clunky than San andreas which is only 4 years older.
Returning to san andreas today is like a punch in the face. Junk, terrible controls and tens of bloat missions.
gta 4 modernized the controls and put graphics to next level. Rockstar games never looked good before that
This is just an incredibly damning statement against Rockstar. It was unacceptable in 2008 the fact that rockstar can still get away ...no praised in 2018 is ludicrous. There were plenty of open world games with good controls around that time even in the PS2 era I remember Mercenaries controlling much better. In 2008 the saints row games already released, Assassins Creed. Infamous came out one year later which had incredible controls in 2009.

Everything you say about San Andrea's is true but that's even more damning....

Last edited:

ButchCat

How much love do you want op? Jesus it's only like the third highest-ranked game of all time and the highest rated entry in the franchise, ironic isn't it? It goes to show you that gaming journalism has been a joke for quite some time.

nKmzfiT.png

Kokoloko85

Its not talked about as much as the others, but to me its the best GTA. The others controlled too badly for me and Id always end up with an annoying drive by timed mission that made me quit.

GTA 4 played the best and is my favourite GTA easily.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is just an incredibly damning statement against Rockstar. It was unacceptable in 2008 the fact that rockstar can still get away ...no praised in 2018 is ludicrous. There were plenty of open world games with good controls around that time even in the PS2 era I remember Mercenaries controlling much better. In 2008 the saints row games already released, Assassins Creed. Infamous came out one year later which had incredible controls in 2009.

Everything you say about San Andrea's is true but that's even more damning....
I am not saying that gta 4 was the best controlling game in 2008. I am saying it was best controlling gta game at the time.
The fact that 5 and rdr2 are just as sloppy is ... not good I agree

winjer

Gold Member
I only finished the story on one GTA and that was GTA4.
On all other GTA's, I just played a few hours to explore, blow stuff up, do some stunts with cars, etc. Because the stories were never engaging to continue playing.

stn

I really liked it and plan on finishing the DLC's at some point (I heard both are great). It probably got more flack than it deserved because it came after San Andreas, which most people loved.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I'm always divided between GTA IV or GTA SA when I try to think which one is my favorite from the franchise. It didn't feature a map as diverse as GTA SA, and they even cut out some stuff like getting fat, fitter, and other details like this; but in the other hand they added SO MUCH little details everywhere that it was one of the most interesting games I played back then (and probably I never played anything that impacted me as much). I also think it has some of the best characters and story in the franchise and I think it's a MUCH better game than 5 was.

assurdum

Banned
I'm conscious is not the best GTA ever but still one of my favourite, can't explain the reason; I will pay even a full fat price for a simple remaster on ps5. Hope it will happen one day.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I love playing darts in this game. It's also a good game that presents you with some tough choices.

Kokoloko85

I am not saying that gta 4 was the best controlling game in 2008. I am saying it was best controlling gta game at the time.
The fact that 5 and rdr2 are just as sloppy is ... not good I agree

Easily the best controlling GTA game.
Most people don’t agree with me but I prefer the driving in GTA 4 to GTA 5

Dude this game has a 98% Metacritic and sold millions. I personally know at least 10 people that waited out to buy a X360/PS3 just for that game. The DLCs were also praised by nearly everyone.

GTA China Town Wars is the right answer here, after that comes GTA 2 aaaaand then maybe GTA IV.

How is GTA IV underrated? It is the top rated game ever on both PS3 and X360. Yeah, some people bitched about it after release because it was quite different in tone and style when compared to San Andreas. Actually, I also prefer V and San Andreas to IV, but that does not mean I think IV is a bad game.

This - it was an amazing game and must have been the top seller for months. I remember the odd podcast slagged it off for the story, but even they had to give it GOTY

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
GTA4s main issue is that a lot of the missions are just "go here, kill bad guys, mission complete"

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Eh. Awful driving and uninteresting characters killed it for me. Really didn't have any fun playing it.

Top Bottom