• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo DS: Still a Piece of Shit

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ThongyDonk said:
Democracy says i can, i and you live in a democratic society and are governed by it ay ALL TIMES, even here.
Human rights says i have a right to express an opinion without fear of prejudice as do the guys who where banned.

The standard reply will be that this isn't a democracy (in the same way, say, that schools aren't a democracy, companys aren't a democracy etc.). Non-democratic instutitions can exist in a democratic society. Furthermore, restricting your right to speak on GAF (by banning you) isn't a restriction on your freedom of speech - it's not absolutely preventing you from saying what you want to say, just preventing you from doing so here.

That said, the T&Cs should govern what is acceptable and what isn't in terms of forum behaviour. A community should be based on rules, and that's fine, but those rules should be made clear and explicit so everyone knows where things stand. Nintendo advocacy, or specific Nintendo fanboyism, shouldn't be grounds for banning - if fanboyism of other forms is ignored. This also, I think, isn't about being positive about something, more than being groundlessly and endlessly negative about another thing in order to appease the inner fanboy (rather than in order to raise legitimate concern). All the above said, I'm not sure how seriously this is to be taken :)

Oxymoron

MrAngryFace said:
I find the pope jokes a bit sad since if he developed games n shit there'd be a fucking gaf moment of silence.

Find me a game developer that condemned thousands to death by saying that condoms don't stop the spread of AIDS.

Teddman

-jinx- said:
This place is FAR from OA. If you really think that Drinky starting some shit after a rabid Nintendo fan BROUGHT DOWN THE FORUM, you're crazy. Let's run down the checklist, shall we?

Blatant racism? Nope.
Insulting people's sexual orientation? Nope.
Non-stop streams of invective aimed at other posters? Nope.
Doing all kinds of classy shit like starting a thread about prank calling someone whose daughter just died? Fuck no. (Yes, those assholes actually disrespected Phoenix.)
So ah, what name do you post under over there? ;)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Scrow said:
the biggest problem with GAF at the moment is the old-boys club mentality

At the moment? There's always been an old-boys club mentality here... you're just jealous because you apparently aren't part of the club.

I love this thread.

Those of you who feel "oppressed" and yet haven't been banned, consider why. Take a look at that shoe-- the one that says "Mindless Nintendo Fanboy" and see if it really fits. And if it doesn't relax.

Then wonder why you wouldn't ban the people who got banned.

It's not about which "camp" you are in, it's about how you act.

And I suggest irony lessons for abotu 60% of the posters here.

[And yes, I am happy at the purging. For Christ's sake, some fanboys dared suggest I "must just have a problem with handheld gaming" when I said I was lukewarm on GB/GBA historically-- and they got insulting when I suggested otherwise. It's one thing to be myopic (no problem there) it's another to be insulting about it.]

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think it makes perfect sense for the ds's shittiness to be a matter of official forum policy. look: you can't converse productively unless you share certain basic assumptions. a thing cannot be both a and not a. the ds is a piece of shit. etc. let's just accept it and move on.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
DarienA said:
At the moment? There's always been an old-boys club mentality here... you're just jealous because you apparently aren't part of the club.
:(

it's true. I WANT TO KNOW THE SECRET HANDSHAKE!
charter.jpg

Drinky's avatar is in that scroll! :O

eye.jpg

i don't support one console more than another. i ahve an XBox, currently a PSP, GBA SP, GC and have had 2 PS2's
I just have no comment on the XBox as it doesn't seem to generate that much discussion here!
I got rid of my PS2 as both broke.
I still have my GC from Launch
I have my GBA SP from launch
I had an XBox, got rid of it, then got given one, which i still have and don't use live as its a bit elitest towards crap gamers like me!!

Deku

Banned
DarienA said:

To be quite frank, the old boys are hardly worth the bytes their posts are made of. Aside from the rare respected poster like Kobun who actually have 'news' to share with people and neat insights and comments, most old boys are just regular clueless gamers who happen to think their opinions are worth more because they've been here longer.

I think the leaders have to really re-evaluate what makes people come here. Because being abused by bulletproof posters ain't it.

What makes me come here is because GAF is such a fantastic resource. The community is deep, there's always someone out there with a link to an obscure article and the 'first' screens to a game or details an announcement. Most of these quality people are lurkers, gamers, and decent human being who are not part of the old boys club. The flame wars are sometimes funny and entertaining but th sesspool forums like IGN could outdo GAF any day.

I've heard the 'this isn't a democracy spiel' before, but it's rather unconvincing. Even the most brutal authoritarian regimes have pretty clear rules about things and the TOS doesn't have to be democratic, it just have to make sense to people.

It's a bit funny how the admins appeared so clueless and shocked by the whole thing, given how they have allowed their old boys free reign to abuse and silence quality junior members who just happened to disagree with the old boys. While I don't condone hacking, pretending that GAF posters, especially those with power are innocent victims is as ridiculous as the tall tales fanboys spew in this forum.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Scrow said:
the biggest problem with GAF at the moment is the old-boys club mentality

I don't think it's that big of a problem, I mean...not more than in any other forum of decent age. Not that I think it's a good thing, of course.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
so do i have to save the life of an "old boy" to get in the club?

*thwacks an egg sandwich out of MAF's hand to save him from the cholesterol

Che

Banned
It all comes down to this: If it was the first time that DC (or MAF) trolled Nintendo I would get the joke and laugh (or understand the point of this thread and shut up). But this is going on and on and on for months or years now and DC is getting more and more bitter and hateful.

DC asked what kind of fanboy he is. You're an anti-Nintendo one man. Of course mods should ban people, we don't want to become OA here, but mods also are supposed to set an example. If the mods who are supposed to keep the order here act like you what do you expect from the members? And just cos some random moron brought down the forum doesn't mean that it's the fault of all Nintendo fans.

I have no hard feelings for you since you're THE ONE who banned most of these braindead republicans but all I ask is not to abuse your mod-admin status for a hate that has no base reason and logic. Express your opinion but do that like you expect from the members to do it. That's all.

Excelion

Banned
The community is deep, there's always someone out there with a link to an obscure article and the 'first' screens to a game or details an announcement

that was two years ago when they started banning good posters. Actually GAF is pretty late on any Xbox/PC news and anyone with good bookmarks, a tabbed browser and a rss reader find news before GAF. Exept sales charts, but maybe that's because i'm not that interested in them.

Deku

Banned
Che said:
It all comes down to this: If it was the first time that DC (or MAF) trolled Nintendo I would get the joke and laugh (or understand the point of this thread and shut up). But this is going on and on and on for months or years now and DC is getting more and more bitter and hateful.

DC asked what kind of fanboy he is. You're an anti-Nintendo one man. Of course mods should ban people, we don't want to become OA here, but mods also are supposed to set an example. If the mods who are supposed to keep the order here act like you what do you expect from the members? And just cos some random moron brought down the forum doesn't mean that it's the fault of all Nintendo fans.

I have no hard feelings for you since you're THE ONE who banned most of these braindead republicans but all I ask is not to abuse your mod-admin status for a hate that has no base reason and logic. Express your opinion but do that like you expect from the members to do it. That's all.

Well said.

But I'm afraid we'll just hear the 'This isn't a democracy' argument again, which as so many people have proven, is a poor rationalization and rings rather hallow as it doesn't really explain how mods can be so abusive, and in the aforementioned poster's case, hateful, despite being a 'leader'.

I'll re-iterate my point again. The strength of GAF is in the bottom portion of the pyramid. Regular posters bringing their resources, talents, contacts into play to create a forum that can be a joy to participate in during periods when there are big announcements.

I think the admins miss the point when they think people come here so they can be kicked around and abused by the 'non-democratic' leaders who act like asses and don't set a good example. And proceed to ignore and mock complaints against the system.

I think even the 'leaders' who i don't need to name know he doesn't have much credibility here anymore, as opposed to the more restrained and intelligent posters who express their disagreement and attack rabid fanboyism with intellect and wit.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Excelion said:
that was two years ago when they started banning good posters. Actually GAF is pretty late on any Xbox/PC news and anyone with good bookmarks, a tabbed browser and a rss reader find news before GAF. Exept sales charts, but maybe that's because i'm not that interested in them.
so why do you come here?

Man, OA have been having a riot with this whole affair.. they're loving this too. As anti-GAF as they sometime seem they've been quite accomodating on the boards and stuff. Those who treat their redneck degenerate fascade as something they entertain themselves with, I mean, all of that is as much of a joke as this is. IRC has been pretty fucking funny recently between both rooms too.. cept when there's American-sports talk which I can't get.

Anyway, good to see the place back up and running!

Can't help but feel this is akin to giving Chancellor Palpatine emergency powers though... we'll see. Should be entertaining in the long run!

SantaC

This thread made me forget all the boring college work :lol

edit: I don't want to be banned just because I am a Nintendo fan though. Guess I need to be careful. And I really missed GAF while it was gone.

Drinky Crow said:
Man, you'd think with GAF down on Saturday, even the Nintendo DS might become appealing!

Nope, it STILL SUCKS.

BUY A PSP!

This troll brought to you by the GA Moderation Team.

What a cock...

Deku

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Man, OA have been having a riot with this whole affair.. they're loving this too. As anti-GAF as they sometime seem they've been quite accomodating on the boards and stuff. Those who treat their redneck degenerate fascade as something they entertain themselves with, I mean, all of that is as much of a joke as this is. IRC has been pretty fucking funny recently between both rooms too.. cept when there's American-sports talk which I can't get.

Anyway, good to see the place back up and running!

Can't help but feel this is akin to giving Chancellor Palpatine emergency powers though... we'll see. Should be entertaining in the long run!

Lol palpatine, that crossed my mind as well.

In any case, thank's for reminding me there is an alernative in Opa-ages.com in case this place turns into a wasteland of totalitarian one party rule. I've almost forgotten about OA since I only visit a handful of forums now.

I think it's funny that the only response from the mods and supporters is "stop taking it so seriously", knowing full well many of us are far beyond the initial bashing in the thread. The part to take seriously is this ridiculous notion that one fanboy represents the population. One Xbox Live ass hat represents all Xbox owners, one Sony sales clown represents all playstation gamers, etc. People who are fixated on this anti-Nintendo kick are missing the point.

Furthermore, the whole idea of appointing Drinky to mod and purposely starting bait threads is so backwards I don't know where to start. Mods are supposed to be setting the examples, not breaking them over their knee.

Sort your shit out, guys.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Excelion said:
i think i have 26 posts here.
that doesn't answer my question.

but it does raise another one.

why then do you care enough to post your analysis of GAF here?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you're all wringing your hands over nintendo fans being blamed for the actions of one nintendo fan, but there's been nary a word over the ACTUAL, ANTI-AUSTRALIAN POLICIES THAT HAVE BEEN PUT INTO EFFECT. so this isn't really about fairness or consistency at all, is it? nintendo ds: still a piece of shit. nintendo fans: still full of shit.

Deku

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Maybe the reason we suggest you stop taking it so seriously is because you should stop taking it so seriously.

No one's having a heart attack about this so 'serious' is a relalitve term. I thought the discussion about how to organize a virtual community was very interesting, albiet laced with a lot of insights and negative views about the excesses of GAF. The criticisms IMHO are valid and should be considered and not ignored because some coder kiddie hacker broke into GAF. It's a lame excuse to crush all dissent.

If anyone needs to take it seriously and probably need a long vacation to a designated Microsoft tropical paradise, it's the admin who started this thread with a rather pointless flamebait in all caps. That kind of behavior would, ironically, not be tolerated by posters, mod or otherwise, outside of GAF. But I suppose we're all taking it too seriously.

tetsuoxb

After the 2000 summer olympics... does anyone really give two shits about Australia? I know I cant think of anything interesting at all...

explodet

drohne said:
you're all wringing your hands over nintendo fans being blamed for the actions of one nintendo fan, but there's been nary a word over the ACTUAL, ANTI-AUSTRALIAN POLICIES THAT HAVE BEEN PUT INTO EFFECT.
All Australians are hackers.
All Nintendo fans are idiots.

What's there to discuss?

Acosta

Maybe the reason we suggest you stop taking it so seriously is because you should stop taking it so seriously.

We try too hard...

What about a "Ban thread"? anyone who ask will be banned. That way there is no need to discuss the decission and people can go free from this jail of dictartoship.

tetsuoxb

I am a nintendo fan, first time I stepped into NCL, I woke my dad up at 4 in the morning to tell him I was in the building they make Zelda in... im just not a moron who has to whine and complain about everything. It isnt about what games or company you like, it is about your need to complain and your decreasing number of active braincells.

Deku

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
I am a nintendo fan, first time I stepped into NCL, I woke my dad up at 4 in the morning to tell him I was in the building they make Zelda in... im just not a moron who has to whine and complain about everything. It isnt about what games or company you like, it is about your need to complain and your decreasing number of active braincells.

Tetsu, if you read the posts above you, this isn't about Nintendo really but about GAF's direction, which is going downhill, fast.

I was reading the uncensored Opa-ages forum and apparently, the admins expressed surprised on-line after the hack as to 'WHY' anyone would do such a thing, and then proceeded to dismiss criticism by former GAFFers now posting there about what is wrong with GAF, mainly, people get punished for ticking off the wrong mod at the wrong time and holding an opposing viewpoint to a powerful poster. I've seen it happen time and again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Man, this thread is comedy genius: I seriously find reading through it an experience I do not want to end :lol.

It is the first thread in a long while I look forward to go back to with some drink and food and keep entertaining myself :).

tetsuoxb

Im personally happy with the direction of GAF post "hack". The less delusional fanboys I have to listen to, the better. If they speed their exit by pissing off Drinky, then I extend a warm dont let the door hit you in the ass.

I use GAF mainly for news on things, and for the opinions of about 20 posters I know personally. The rest of the "chatter" from whiny fanboys of all forms is just a waste. Using this forum has always been an effort to seperate the wheat from the chaff in terms of posters, and if the mods are taking a more proactive approach in doing it, I say awesome!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
|--> This is the song that never ends.
| It goes on and on my friends.
| Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,
| and they'll continue singing it forever just because,
|
|-- (start at top again)

Panajev2001a said:
It is the first thread in a long while I look forward to go back to with some drink and food and keep entertaining myself :).
do people actually find and put aside the time to do that? @_@

Drinky Crow said:
Man, you'd think with GAF down on Saturday, even the Nintendo DS might become appealing!

Nope, it STILL SUCKS.

BUY A PSP!

This troll brought to you by the GA Moderation Team.

To have the testicular fortitude to break-in to "our house" and stir things up because people don't agree with your opinion is ridiculous.

Differing methods, similar results.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
JackFrost2012 said:
Wow, a forum full of banned ex-GAFfers has bitter feelings about the way GAF is run? KEEP FOLLOWING THE STORY, I SMELL PULITZER!

Stop it, I am never getting out of the house like this :lol.

Hey, seriously--

I think the direction GAF is headed is a problem-- but I don't know what I would do differently. I go to Opa-ages and all the ex-GAFfers there are exactly the people I don't miss. People who were very quick on the draw to insult anyone merely for liking a game. Many many posters living in the past and negative about almost anything. I can live without that at GAF.

Regardless of perception, that doesn't happen here so much-- much more likely you're criticised for *not* liking something (a problem), and about half of those are directed toward people expressing a negative opinion for attention (also a problem).

Top Bottom