• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo DS: Still a Piece of Shit

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Scrow said:
|--> This is the song that never ends.
| It goes on and on my friends.
| Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,
| and they'll continue singing it forever just because,
|
|-- (start at top again)

do people actually find and put aside the time to do that? @_@

Do you find the time and put it aside to watch your favorite comedy show ?

I sure do ;).

Deku

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
I use GAF mainly for news on things, and for the opinions of about 20 posters I know personally. The rest of the "chatter" from whiny fanboys of all forms is just a waste. Using this forum has always been an effort to seperate the wheat from the chaff in terms of posters, and if the mods are taking a more proactive approach in doing it, I say awesome!

As do I testu. Gaf is a great source of news, and information. But that comes from regular posters contributing their time and watching different channels of information to be able to post it so that people like you and me can read a collection of news and information here.

That said, the 'hacker' who made a post in opa about his exploid wrote something I thought was quite ironic.

hacker said:
Let me just clear up that i'm not the raging Nintendo fan they claim I am, I love Nintendo yes, and i'm a Nintendo fan, but I just thought it would be even funnier if I gave the impression that an insane Nintendo fan with nothing to lose and everything to gain was on a rampage.

To be quite honest, the GAF mod's behavior in the previous months and the current war being waged by the GAF admin has always given me the impression that we have an insane non-nintendo fan on a rampage banning junior members who disagree openly with the hateful bulletproof old timers and making regular members weary of what they post and who they argue against or they might be banned. So, really, what's the difference. The hacker only illustrated the insanity by reversing the roles.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ignatz Mouse said:
Not even vaguely the issue at hand.
he does my trick.

can't be bothered reading a huge ass thread so just responds to the initial thread starting post.

Belfast

Deku said:
As do I testu. Gaf is a great source of news, and information. But that comes from regular posters contributing their time and watching different channels of information to be able to post it so that people like you and me can read a collection of news and information here.

That said, the 'hacker' who made a post in opa about his exploid wrote something I thought was quite ironic.

To be quite honest, the GAF mod's behavior in the previous months and the current war being waged by the GAF admin has always given me the impression that we have an insane non-nintendo fan on a rampage banning junior members who disagree openly with the hateful bulletproof old timers and making regular members weary of what they post and who they argue against or they might be banned. So, really, what's the difference. The hacker only illustrated the insanity by reversing the roles.

I honestly don't think I've seen anybody banned for arguing intelligently and Junior Members have a bad habit of jumping into conversations without getting to know the place. To quoth any number of Something Awful goons: "LURK MORE."

Deku said:
we have an insane non-nintendo fan on a rampage banning junior members who disagree openly with the hateful bulletproof old timers.

The difference is that these "old-timers" have been around long enough that (reasonable) people know they don't mean 90% of the vitriolic things they say, and that they're just having a laugh at the expense of the more excitable readers. Junior Members, on the other hand, are usually deadly serious about their console jihad.

The point is, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. If you troll the PSP in an amusing, witty, and self-deprecating way, the mods will probably take a shine to you and you can get away with bloody murder. On the other hand, if you come into the forums all WELL I NEVER and act all offended at the mean things people say about your favorite system and LET ME EDUCATE YOU and YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, you will get banned and people will laugh.

Digest that, understand that, and your stay at GAF will be long and entertaining - to yourself AND others. Ignore it, and, well, you can always register at OA.

Rorschach

Wonder how much longer this thread will go on. Will it go long enough so that 1/3 of the GAF population is banned? I can see how that would save bandwidth, but then there's no one to pick on.

tetsuoxb said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was the next to be banned! Do I get a prize?

We have to split it, he was my pick, too! In fact, he inspired the idea, since he seemed to be gunning for a ban.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
JackFrost2012 said:
If you troll the PSP in an amusing, witty, and self-deprecating way, the mods will probably take a shine to you and you can get away with bloody murder.

Drinky Crow said:
Man, you'd think with GAF down on Saturday, even the Sony PSP might become appealing!

Nope, it STILL SUCKS.

BUY A DS!

This troll brought to you by the GA Moderation Team.
nope... doesn't work. REEVALUATE

explodet

JackFrost2012 said:
The point is, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. If you troll the PSP in an amusing, witty, and self-deprecating way, the mods will probably take a shine to you and you can get away with bloody murder.
See... I'd be very weary about doing something like this, because the response it would spark would probably be more trouble for the mods than it's worth. But I'm not much of a trolling kind of guy (at least that's what I think) so what do I know.

Plus, the PSP was made by God, so trolling it would be blasphemous.

ThongyDonk
Banned
I'm surprised this banning wasn't mentioned.
If you're starting a pool, don't include this guy.

Scrow said:

If you can't see the sarcasm and total baiting design of Drinky's original post, then all hope is lost.

GAF isn't a conversation, it's participatory drama and/or improv comedy. You can accept that, or you can rail against it, but you sure as hell can't change it.

Acosta

For god´s shake, please read:

The difference is that these "old-timers" have been around long enough that (reasonable) people know they don't mean 90% of the vitriolic things they say, and that they're just having a laugh at the expense of the more excitable readers. Junior Members, on the other hand, are usually deadly serious about their console jihad.

This is the point, is the best explanation of all this IMO. If you have to read something on this thread, read this.

Kon Tiki

Banned
-jinx- said:
Blatant racism? Nope.
Insulting people's sexual orientation? Nope.
Non-stop streams of invective aimed at other posters? Nope.
Doing all kinds of classy shit like starting a thread about prank calling someone whose daughter just died? Fuck no. (Yes, those assholes actually disrespected Phoenix.)
So when are you leaving America?

JackFrost2012 said:
The difference is that these "old-timers" have been around long enough that (reasonable) people know they don't mean 90% of the vitriolic things they say, .

That may be so for some, but soooooo many "old timers" jump on the damage control with insults and, at least what reads to be, serious defensiveness. Everyone has their less than polite moments, but some are yeeesh.

Deku

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
The difference is that these "old-timers" have been around long enough that (reasonable) people know they don't mean 90% of the vitriolic things they say, and that they're just having a laugh at the expense of the more excitable readers. Junior Members, on the other hand, are usually deadly serious about their console jihad..

To be fair, lots of old timers are fine and well respected as you noted. But a few are abusing this, MAF, DC ? I read a thread about MAF's behavior last year explaining it with the same reason, he's been here a long time, he's bulletproof etc..

So do people leave them alone? ignore their flamebaits? People who post here are intelligent, generally, and we see the old timer's biases. Some are intelligent about it and admit it, others use it as a hammer and jump right into flame wars using their bulletproof status to inject themselves in debates they should be stopping. Instead they support one side or another. I respectfully have to say that many posters are aware that with these old timers that 90% of the time they mean what they say and enjoy the fact that they just got away with bans, and inciting a flame war in which the other side has no real resource because speaking up would mean a big massive ban.

Speech in a forum is never entirely free. I've modded forums before and mods are ultimate arbiters of what gets cut and culled, but when the threat of a ban is flahsed to scare away argumentative responses to stupid posts who happens to be in agreement with the mods, people start talking about 'speech being quashed'. That's not people asking for a perfect democracy, it's moderators behaving badly.

The point is, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. If you troll the PSP in an amusing, witty, and self-deprecating way, the mods will probably take a shine to you and you can get away with bloody murder. On the other hand, if you come into the forums all WELL I NEVER and act all offended at the mean things people say about your favorite system and LET ME EDUCATE YOU and YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, you will get banned and people will laugh.

That's relative. If you're predisposed to support a platform, a company or a system, jokes that are witty and funny to you would be deeply insulting and flame bait material for the otherside. That's the problem I have really.

This seems more like a loophole to allow choice members to behave badly and get away with it because they themselves hold power or hold a view which is supported by those with power whereas someone doing the exact same thing but from the opposite view point is not treated in the same manner because to those with power, the comments aren't funny, they are flame bait. So really, I think you just proved how problematic this is.

No one's asking for democracy here, but a bit of consideration, consistency and the realization that GAF is what is because of your posters. And to be quite frank, I'll say to you the reaction to the hack indicident is a bad move.

Jonnyram

JackFrost2012 said:
The difference is that these "old-timers" have been around long enough that (reasonable) people know they don't mean 90% of the vitriolic things they say.
You don't really have to be an "old-timer" to realise that 90% of the forum does, in fact, consider the DS to be a piece of shit. It was only announced about a year ago, and from the very beginning people have been taking the piss out of it. Though I still question myself making a serious response in what is obviously a non-serious thread :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
dabf10_31_burns.jpg

Remember that episode in which Mr. Burns kept laughing and laughing time and time again thinking about his old servant, who he used to hit with his toy-ride ?

This is like I feel with this thread: when I think I got over it, I remember another hilarious moment of it and laugh some more :lol.

Acosta

To be fair, lots of old timers are fine and well respected as you noted. But a few are abusing this, MAF, DC ? I read a thread about MAF's behavior last year explaining it with the same reason, he's been here a long time, he's bulletproof etc..

DC? I won´t defend MAF because he doesn´t need it at all, but if DC is Dcharlie I find it quite amusing what you say.

Instead they support one side or another. I respectfully have to say that many posters are aware that with these old timers that 90% of the time they mean what they say and enjoy the fact that they just got away with bans, and inciting a flame war in which the other side has no real resource because speaking up would mean a big massive ban.

Listen yourself, you are speaking as we were trying to solve some conflict in Africa.

That's relative. If you're predisposed to support a platform, a company or a system, jokes that are witty and funny to you would be deeply insulting and flame bait material for the otherside. That's the problem I have really.

Everyone that takes offense and feel insulted because someone says a pice of hardware is shit should take a rest.

Deku

Banned
Gaijin To Ronin said:
DC? I won´t defend MAF because he doesn´t need it at all, but if DC is Dcharlie I find it quite amusing what you say.

Thread starter.

Listen yourself, you are speaking as we were trying to solve some conflict in Africa.

Ultimately, this is about how we as a community organize ourselves. I don't think its wrong to be serious about it and to sound like i'm trying to solve a serious proble. GAF exists, its a community, and I am just expressing my view.

I suppose being civil is not ok. I should behave like the role models mods here and TYPE IN CALL CAPS AND SAY DS IS A PIECE OF SHIT every other sentence to be taken seriously. Is that witty?

Everyone that takes offense and feel insulted because someone says a pice of hardware is shit should take a rest.

Except some of them take it out and actually ban people, or do crazy things like start flamebaits. But you seem to have missed the point of everything I just said.

Acosta

What is wrong with asking for more civility here?

Because this is not reality afterall. If you want "civility" I suggest that as a poster try to help people to adopt a more relaxed view of things, try to calm down other people when the discussion heat on and be a constructive poster (I´m not speaking of you I don´t know you, I´m just putting an example).

If someone says "Nintedo DS is shit" and you are not agree and want to say something about it, just say it, be clear about is your opinion, expose your reasoning and avoid to point with the finger anyone to show how superior is your reasoning. You can be sure no one is going to be banned with that attitude.

And never forget where are you, this is not a "small thing" this is nothing, is a game, something for entertaining and learning, something to enrich our hobby with videogames. Reality is the way to go to start doing "small things". Believe me when I say that you are not going to save any country in Africa starting with complaining mods in GAF.

Deku said:
I've heard the 'this isn't a democracy spiel' before, but it's rather unconvincing. Even the most brutal authoritarian regimes have pretty clear rules about things and the TOS doesn't have to be democratic, it just have to make sense to people.

It's a bit funny how the admins appeared so clueless and shocked by the whole thing, given how they have allowed their old boys free reign to abuse and silence quality junior members who just happened to disagree with the old boys. While I don't condone hacking, pretending that GAF posters, especially those with power are innocent victims is as ridiculous as the tall tales fanboys spew in this forum.

What's with this 'democracy' nonsense? MAF has reminded us in this thread, repeatedly, that this is a PRIVATE forum. Those - to use your own words - 'with power' in a private domain have no obligation to be democratic: if you have a problem with a forum's admin banning posters just for displaying Nintendo fanboy-ism, you may simply LEAVE and go to another forum where Nintendrones are allowed to post whatever they want.

I don't take seriously Drinky's opinions of the DS, but I am nonetheless willing to abide the rules he makes/enforces/whatever here.

Diffense

Panajev:

Stupidity is equally distributed in all categories

As my final comment in this thread I just have to say that mostly I agree with this post.

However in this context, I'll be less harsh and say:

'Humanity is equally distributed in all categories'.

People defend their preferences. I guarantee you that if we commence systematic PS/1/2/SP bashing and ban people for the same 'infractions' as they are being banned for in this thread there'll be plenty of bannin's. One only has to witness the numerous DS vs PSP threads to see that liking something isn't unique to Nintendo fans.

If we adopt equal opportunity systematic bashing/banning we'll end up with a forum of people with no preferences and hence no forum. I find that difficult to imagine. However, since the current campaign will eradicate only Nintendo fans it might prove successful, as they'll either be banned or be unmotivated/afraid to contribute.

Acosta

Ultimately, this is about how we as a community organize ourselves. I don't think its wrong to be serious about it and to sound like i'm trying to solve a serious proble. GAF exists, its a community, and I am just expressing my view.

Sorry, I´m getting tired, I will avoid to keep doing full circles about my own reasonings, so I will say this just once more:

GAF is not a self organizated community, this would a huge chaos that way. This is a private forum, with rulers. Take it or leave it, as simple of that. Is a game, have its rules, take it as you want, but at the end of the way you have to respect that rules. No one asked you to come here, you are here for you free will and you can leave whenever you want.

I suppose being civil is not ok. I should behave like the role models mods here and TYPE IN CALL CAPS AND SAY DS IS A PIECE OF SHIT every other sentence to be taken seriously. Is that witty?

Mods can do it, you don´t. If you don´t want to see the true nature of this, if you want to see Drinky as one man that awakes at morning with the only purpose to make fun of Nintendo fans and amuse them, you are free to do it.

Except some of them take it out and actually ban people, or do crazy things like start flamebaits

Think about it, who start the flamebait? the one that says DS is shit, or the one that answer angry to it?

Again, some of you take this too seriously.

Shouta

God, most of you still don't understand. JF put it out for you all in a nice compact paragraph and most of you still don't understand -_-.

All of this "but it's just a joke" and "your taking it too seriously" stuff is pretty ridiculous. Here's why:

-First, the thread was not funny to begin with. It had potential to stir up some typical fanboys, but it was completely devoid of any humor.

-More importantly, the thread turned sour at exactly here:

That's why I love DS. It really make Sony fanboys scream like bitches.

At which point Drinky banned him. Exactly what did he do to deserve a ban? Not only did he not call you names or make a big fuss, but he in fact did the most honorable thing in this thread - that is, to laugh at this bait and move on. You made a shitty thread and the man was simply brushing off your bait with a civil retort of his own. So what did this guy do wrong?

I dunno-- he seems to keep pulling back from that one outburst over the edge that will get him banned.

He's flirting with it, but I don't think his pissed off enough to immolate himself just yet.

duckroll

JasoNsider said:
All of this "but it's just a joke" and "your taking it too seriously" stuff is pretty ridiculous. Here's why:

We find it funny, you don't. Too bad, admins and mods are on our side, either accept that or leave. :D

-First, the thread was not funny to begin with. It had potential to stir up some typical fanboys, but it was completely devoid of any humor.

See above.

-More importantly, the thread turned sour at exactly here:

[insert moronic nintendo fanboy comment about Sony]

At which point Drinky banned him. Exactly what did he do to deserve a ban? Not only did he not call you names or make a big fuss, but he in fact did the most honorable thing in this thread - that is, to laugh at this bait and move on. You made a shitty thread and the man was simply brushing off your bait with a civil retort of his own. So what did this guy do wrong?

What did he do to deserve a ban? How about bending over and pulling his pants down to show us that he tattooed "YA BITCHES YOU CAN ALL SUCK MY FILTHY ASS!" on his buttcheeks? :lol

ge-man

JasoNsider--Just give it up. I understand what you are trying to do, but you're not going to accomplish anything here. The GAF is easier to take in if you just ignore/avoid the stupidity.

One of the other mods ought to do a controlled experiment, by creating the identical thread thead putting down the PSP. And then see who bites.

I don't think too many-- but I don't think that's because there's any difference in the fans of one system or the other, just that the culture here has grown into one of Ninbots playing the persecution card and self-fulfilling the prophecy.

Still, it might be fun to shake some of the other trees and see who drops out.

Diffense

For that experiment, Ignatz, one might need to replicate the entire process of stirring the pot over the course of a few months. Of course, a single thread would be more likely to be ignored, esp. if everyone saw it coming and easily detects that the OP doesn't mean what he's saying.

However, If a known Nintendo fan started multiple PSP bashfests under mod protection there would be chaos...lol.

ok..I'm really gone this time, maybe :p

ge-man said:
JasoNsider--Just give it up. I understand what you are trying to do, but you're not going to accomplish anything here. The GAF is easier to take in if you just ignore/avoid the stupidity.

Right, and I'm starting to fully understand that now. It's just sad that anybody who tries to even talk about this gets the "OMG is he next ban?!1"

duckroll

JasoNsider said:
Right, and I'm starting to fully understand that now. It's just sad that anybody who tries to even talk about this gets the "OMG is he next ban?!1"

Well, did you miss this part of the announcement?

gaadmin said:
Negative comments and complaints to our recent change in policies WILL NOT BE HEARD. In fact, they will be mocked.

duckroll said:
Well, did you miss this part of the announcement?

Like this thread, I took that part as a joke. I really doubt that the entire administration has adopted the policy that "complaints will not be heard". If they have.....well, geez I don't know where to begin.

Top Bottom