• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo DS: Still a Piece of Shit

etiolate

Banned
Protip:

Troll posting joke/troll
+
Everyone saying its a bad troll/joke

DOES NOT EQUAL: You got baited! or whatever it is, the wall or whatnot.

And you could do a lot more with the DS. Fuck, I have ideas. Devs are just map happy and vg politics is that you can just blame Nintendo. Hopefully a new female audience that will try different things will open devs up to trying new things themselves.

Amir0x

Banned
etiolate said:
Protip:

Troll posting joke/troll
+

MY HUMAN RIGHTS WERE VIOLATED = baited and lollerific

Kon Tiki

Banned
thefit said:
Go with blonde they may think your gay and hire you just by reason of them having to fill up there gay employee quota also highlights wouldn't hurt and talk with a lisp.
Good point!

etiolate

Banned
Amir0x said:
MY HUMAN RIGHTS WERE VIOLATED = baited and lollerific

That's a seperate deal though, not having to do with the DS, which is what was being trolled. And that whole thing has to do with the fact this forum's grown past a fun little spot into a pretty big information source for videogames. A lot of stuff is posted here first, and theres people who are information posters. So there is some seriousness to the forum that is the only thing that makes GAF worthwhile. Yet this interferes with the fun little club part, because the information people don't want to sift through the shit to find the good stuff. Plus, it seems to breed more hate and stupidity which leaks into the good threads and etc,etc. So it's a question of do the regulars want to deal with what the forum really is or just see it as they remember it.

VALIS

etiolate said:
Protip:

Troll posting joke/troll
+

When it's obvious that fanboyish flag waving is gonna get you banned, and people still do it anyway, not to mention some of the outlandish shit I've read about human rights and being treated like an Arab after 9/11, THAT is running smack into a wall with a sign on it telling you not to.

Futhermore, some of the people going on about how unfair this is are the ones who post nothing but cunty comments in any non-Nintendo thread, or fill up the monthly sales and other threads with the "GO NIN10DO" cheerleading. I usually don't say anything about it because it's pretty counter-productive to be complaining about trolls in the same threads they want to clutter, but since it's the topic du jour in this thread; fuck 'em. Hope they all get banned. Any sympathy or understanding I had for Nintendo cultists on messageboards ran out many years ago.

VALIS said:
When it's obvious that fanboyish flag waving is gonna get you banned, and people still do it anyway, not to mention some of the outlandish shit I've read about human rights and being treated like an Arab after 9/11, THAT is running smack into a wall with a sign on it telling you not to.

Futhermore, some of the people going on about how unfair this is are the ones who post nothing but cunty comments in any non-Nintendo thread, or fill up the monthly sales and other threads with the "GO NIN10DO" cheerleading. I usually don't say anything about it because it's pretty counter-productive to be complaining about trolls in the same threads they want to clutter, but since it's the topic du jour in this thread; fuck 'em. Hope they all get banned. Any sympathy or understanding I had for Nintendo cultists on messageboards ran out many years ago.

Last I checked sales threads are predictions and cheerleading on all sides. A few ban bets here and there too.

Seriously, what are people supposed to do, sit there stroking their chins, trying to glean some kind of benign enlightened wisdom from the data?

VALIS

radioheadrule83 said:
last I checked sales threads is predictions and cheerleading on all sides.

Of course, but you're gonna tell me Nintendo cheerleading doesn't usually dominate every sales thread? What's today's sales-related thread all about? "The UK sucks because they stopped buying RE4!" It's constant.

Matlock

Banned
strangersonatrain18kd.gif

ge-man

VALIS said:
Of course, but you're gonna tell me Nintendo cheerleading doesn't usually dominate every sales thread? What's today's sales-related thread all about? "The UK sucks because they stopped buying RE4!" It's constant.

Much of the time the cheerleading is fueled by anti-Nintendo trolling, however. It's a vicious cycle that just doesn't end because people refuse to see how the first party feeds the second and vice versa. This is why I try my best to avoid being sucked into that black hole, but as others have pointed out the obvious trolling does seep into other dicussions.

VALIS said:

Nintendo fans are indeed a vociferous bunch at times, but I know that any fanboy can be an annoying idiot in those threads. Not just Nintendo fans. But recently, I don't even know where people are getting it from. The boards have been quite civil. Sales threads are a good example... I think people get bored of the data until theres a surprise. And even then all you get is a "ruh roh" and a few bail out pics.

In fact lots of the Japanese threads have met with total non-argument from Nintendo fans. Until recently, DS was being outsold by PSP for 8 (or more) weeks straight. Were any of them going out on a ban-me-please-limb and saying they hoped PSP would fail? Were any indulging in company specific hate of any kind? I think you'll find thats something of a priviledge these days that Nintendo fans don't get. Some of them spam their way into deserving it... others, plenty of them, really love Nintendo's stuff with genuine conviction. Even as multi console owners or whatever.

I mean, some of the most used lines in recent weeks amount to cheerleading on both sides and they really don't bother me.

"GOOO DS" / "GOOO PSP" / "GOOO Wario" etc

"PSP > GBA + DS + GC" or something like that (and the reverse last week)

As for the UK not buying RE4. Damn fucking straight! Looking at some of the other shit my countrymen buy above it, it's a fucking crime :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Who said drinky was slipping? 16 pages, that's incredible numbers. If this was a tv network, he'd be doing blow of the asses of strippers right now.

Deku

Banned
incognito said:
Nobody [in Opa-Ages] gets banned for being a fanboy, though. Just ridiculed.

kaching said:
And what a glorious distinction that is.

It's an important one because it removes the mod's urge to play politics by siding with one set of fanboys over another because they happen to agree with them. GAF has the unfortunate distinction of having a rather large cadre of openly anti-nintendo posters who hold power and wield them in abusive fashion.

Since I lurk most of the time and observe, the bias and depravity of the forum the leaders are obvious to me. Naturally, you'll notice the people with the most to loose, mainly the posters who dont enjoy Nintendo games are also the same people dismissing this entire issue. So personally, its quite clear to me its come down to system preference instead of seeking a solution. This is essentially a political issue where those who have power now want it the way it is, that is to continue their reign on biased dictatorship rather than the more modest and fairer dictatorships of your standard forum.

Those who benefited the most under the biased modship are supporting the change and cheering it on. The Nintendo fanboys have obviously been whipped, unfairly, into submission or chased away elsewhere and the irregular posters like me just have to watch this whole thing go down and express my views of frustration and point out again and again the excesses of the current and past GAF administrations. It'll probably be ignored and the next time they get hacked, we'll see again expressions of surprise as to 'why anyone would do such a thing'.

mas9055

Banned
I lnow this is a bad spot for this, but I can't post anywhere else. How do I become a regular member? Thanks a bunch

mas9055 said:
I lnow this is a bad spot for this, but I can't post anywhere else. How do I become a regular member? Thanks a bunch
No it's not a good spot for it. But a)don't be stupid and do stupid junior member posts and b)post a lot. All there is to it.

mas9055 said:
You can pos,t as you've just done it. What you can't do it post a new topic. You will be able to do that when you become a regular member, at 50-ish (don't remember precisely) posts, presuming you've not gotten yourself banned.

mas9055

Banned
Actually on topic here. The DS is definately not a piece of shit. For all you sony fanboys out there who can't ever try anything other than sony, you're really missing out here. The second screen allows for many new dimensions to the gameplay. And the touch screen makes for great mini-games!

Alex

"The second screen allows for many new dimensions to the gameplay. And the touch screen makes for great mini-games!"

Not to be rude, but I can't tell if this is serious or a joke post. I'm really losing it.

Odnetnin

Banned
I cannot believe that this thread has gone into overdrive mode with x number of bans. All because of DS and Drinky.

Deku is making sense of course but no one's going to listen to him. Well, I'm sure advance wars Ds + some of the future titles (+kirby) will justify the new way of playing games. I was rather impressed with my short time with the instore DS. Looks okay, plays fine.

B+

Mrbob

mas9055 said:
Actually on topic here. The DS is definately not a piece of shit. For all you sony fanboys out there who can't ever try anything other than sony, you're really missing out here. The second screen allows for many new dimensions to the gameplay. And the touch screen makes for great mini-games!

You and Drinky will be great friends! :lol

How the hell did this thread balloon to nearly 800 posts? Too much to read through!

Alex

It's wacky shit, but it's funny as hell. Crazy personalities, overly sensitive fans sticking their necks out and too much goddamn news. The three pillars *nudge* of GA.

I don't see how this is different than prior to the hack, personally, hehe.

I'm trying to muster up what little sanity Phantom Dust has left me with to say something logical, but Jack Frost took all the good shit

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
goddamn, though -- the ds is horrible. the touchscreen is so basically not fun. look at the way feel the magic squanders its many charms. this is what the ds does: it squanders. i mean, you can't really blame the ds's total creative failure on a lack of development talent. no, the touchscreen wouldn't be "cool if someone would just use it well." good developers have already tried and failed. the touchscreen is just shit. the ds is just shit.

Amir0x

Banned
etiolate said:
That's a seperate deal though, not having to do with the DS, which is what was being trolled. And that whole thing has to do with the fact this forum's grown past a fun little spot into a pretty big information source for videogames. A lot of stuff is posted here first, and theres people who are information posters. So there is some seriousness to the forum that is the only thing that makes GAF worthwhile. Yet this interferes with the fun little club part, because the information people don't want to sift through the shit to find the good stuff. Plus, it seems to breed more hate and stupidity which leaks into the good threads and etc,etc. So it's a question of do the regulars want to deal with what the forum really is or just see it as they remember it.

If you come here for news though the rest of the shit shouldn't matter since nine out of ten times the news is in the first post

anyhoo, i won't get serious in this thread because there's too much hilarity.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"As for the UK not buying RE4. Damn fucking straight! Looking at some of the other shit my countrymen buy above it, it's a fucking crime "

I was in the UK at the time of launch and that has to be one of the least hyped launches for any game i've EVER seen.

Well done to all concerned! The best way to sell your Killer App is to be ultra secretive about it.

Nintendo : The Company of MYSTERY!

We have lots of games on the GC, that we aren't going to telll you about and
*ghost voice*
Ooooo, spooky Revolution! We won't tell you anything about it, but it's going to be fantastic!
We'd tell you about GBA2 , but we're too cool to do that! We'll tell you about it 3 months after it's launched....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Deku said:
It's an important one because it removes the mod's urge to play politics by siding with one set of fanboys over another because they happen to agree with them.
Without the power to ban someone, no one has the urge to play politics? Riiiiiight. So ridicule is a wholly unpolitical tool now?

There's more than one way to wield influence, Deku.

As for the rest of the response you launched into from this, if you think that painting such a polarized picture with use of words such as "depravity" is an accurate picture, then perhaps you haven't spent enough time lurking and observing, since among the powers that be here there are certainly a few that are nintendo fans (without being fanboys) and those that you are referring to as resolutely anti-nintendo, such as Drinky Crow, should have engaged in a much more aggressive culling of Nintendo fans by now to fit the picture you paint, yet haven't, even after being here for years. Somehow, all your lurking and observing has missed their repeated statements that they have nothing against ALL of Nintendo fandom, just certain factions.

Odnetnin

Banned
DCharlie said:
I was in the UK at the time of launch and that has to be one of the least hyped launches for any game i've EVER seen.

Well done to all concerned! The best way to sell your Killer App is to be ultra secretive about it.

Nintendo : The Company of MYSTERY!

We have lots of games on the GC, that we aren't going to telll you about and
*ghost voice*
Ooooo, spooky Revolution! We won't tell you anything about it, but it's going to be fantastic!
We'd tell you about GBA2 , but we're too cool to do that! We'll tell you about it 3 months after it's launched....

well, let's crucify Nintendo for Capcom's game.

Fuck the UK. Probably too busy with tea and crumpets and kylie's arse

fallout

Whoever said that this thing was like a mouse trap, they've got the wrong idea. I'd say it's more like Drinky ran up to the forum, smacked some people in the face with his dick and ran away laughing.

There was nothing subtle about this, heh.

Can someone explain exactly what is the reason or purpose for this thread? What is it supposed to attain and how does it make for a better forum environment?

Don't tell me I'm supposed to know. I cannot read minds.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
huzkee said:
Can someone explain exactly what is the reason or purpose for this thread? What is it supposed to attain and how does it make for a better forum environment?

Don't tell me I'm supposed to know. I cannot read minds.

A nintendo fan hacked the forum, took over an admin account and banned/deleted all the anti-nintendos he could think of. Drinky was probably largely the guy that grubdog had a beef with because he's an admin.

You can work the rest out given this information without mind reading powers.

Tellaerin

I think my post earlier in the thread addresses most of Deku's points:

Deku said:
GAF has the unfortunate distinction of having a rather large cadre of openly anti-nintendo posters who hold power and wield them in abusive fashion.

Tellaerin said:
I think it's because more than any other group, Nintendo fanboys (as opposed to fans) perceive themselves as victims, poor persecuted souls unfairly picked on for their taste in games.

Deku said:
Since I lurk most of the time and observe, the bias and depravity of the forum the leaders are obvious to me.

Tellaerin said:
(If anything, it's their penchant for selectively distorting and/or ignoring reality that gets them ridiculed, but that's another story. :p )

Deku said:
It'll probably be ignored and the next time they get hacked, we'll see again expressions of surprise as to 'why anyone would do such a thing'.

Tellaerin said:
Since those [N-zealots] are the posters most likely to justify an attack on the forums as 'what GAF deserves' for all the 'unfair' ridicule they receive around here, a few preemptive strikes now will probably save everyone headaches down the line.

:p

Deku

Banned
kaching said:
Without the power to ban someone, no one has the urge to play politics? Riiiiiight. So ridicule is a wholly unpolitical tool now?

There's more than one way to wield influence, Deku.

I've moderated forums before and it had the same population density and poo factor as GAF. And you're right, there's more than one way to weild influence, I just happen to think judicious use of the banstick and moderators who MODERATE and not throw themselves head first into debates, and incite portions of the community is a better way of influencing communities than threatening a ban. The idea that 'you have to think before you make a post' here in GAF widely shared. It's just a fact of life. To blame this on some obscure quality of Nintendo zealots as if they are some other animal is just a poor excuse to sidestep the fact.

Perhaps you missed the prevalent and largely true (if perhaps oft exagerrated features of critcisms of GAF)

-Having to think before posting anything less insult a mod and get on their bad side
- People being banned for disagreeing with mods in a flame thread (which begs the question why the mods is even in there NOT MODERATING and picking fights instead)
- If you're a junior member, looking a mod the wrong way may get you banned too
- Mods who if they were to moderate themselves and their bulletproof friends would have to have been banned several times over
- Bulletproof old timers who do crazy things and get away with it

Note that all of the above have to do more of less with the lack of subtlety and goes to the point that in fact, other ways of influencing isn't used.

Somehow, all your lurking and observing has missed their repeated statements that they have nothing against ALL of Nintendo fandom, just certain factions.

Actually, I haven't missed that, but claims ring rather hallow when in response to being hacked, they essentially yield power to Drinky, which is probably the cause of all this anyways. Which begs the question who the admins think they are waging a war against and what exactly they think they want to achieve.

Yeah yeah yeah, this is not a democracy. No one asked for one. But even despots have rules that make sense. GAF behaves more like North Korea.

Ranger X

JackFrost2012 said:
STOP CARING!

NOW!

Jack, we TALK. It's DISCUSSION forum. You drop the ball long ago, we still want to talk.
Why do you still read this thread and even post in it if nothing here is important to you? - Because somewhere you care. That's why.

Most people are reacting to this thread, the thread is very popular. This only fact can indicate that there's a problem. If there wasn't any and everything was right at GAF, this thread would have been overlooked and would never have reached 16 pages.
Welcome to America!! the country where it's shame to be more intellectual! -- common, it looks like people want to talk and stir shit. I see no problem in this.

Wyzdom said:
Most people are reacting to this thread, the thread is very popular. This only fact can indicate that there's a problem.

This, I agree with. The fact that this thread has reached 16 pages definitely shows there's a problem. :)

Ranger X

JackFrost2012 said:
This, I agree with. The fact that this thread has reached 16 pages definitely shows there's a problem. :)

Honestly, i had a good laugh at this thread and i can understand it.
But seeing it reaching 16 pages and with everything i did read here, i can see that a very large part of GAF readers aren't digging the joke and/or liking the "style" of the moderation team. This is a problem imo. It's similar to a governement that can't reach it's population. It can't be good.
I hope this thread can show to those concerned what GAF wants to be instead of what they want it to become. It's the readers that motivates a forum... i don't want people to get away. GAF is hot because there's ALOT going on here and many different style of posters. Of course we have to continue to moderate extreme behaviors (yes this include major Nintendo fanboys) and i hope the moderation team will do a good job at it.

Moegames

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Man, you'd think with GAF down on Saturday, even the Nintendo DS might become appealing!

Nope, it STILL SUCKS.

BUY A PSP!

This troll brought to you by the GA Moderation Team.

Jinkies..im shocked you still have an account here after saying this lol :lol

Top Bottom