• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo DS: Still a Piece of Shit

Alex

Most folks wouldn't slam the DS if it wasn't such an utter waste in place of what could've been. I like Nintendo, I love my SP and even my Cube is getting solid playtime as of late.

The problem is DS is just an unattractive, clusmy, downright useless piece of tech. The software lineup is an utter wasteland and despite citing it to cure an innovation crisis that doesn't exist, they flagship it with a clumsy port.

They should've launched a GBA2, and it should've been what the PSP is now. A solid, good looking piece of hardware with more competent features in place of crummy gimmicks and a really great launch lineup.

Of course, once they desuck the lineup, and perhaps go through a hardware revision, I'll be happy to buy one. But the early life of the DS, personally, does not interest me.

StRaNgE

Banned
Mike Works said:
What about the thread I made last year that said, "Post in this thread and get banned"?

Mike i gotta admit that's some funny shit right there.

i'll have to store that away somewhere and remember that for my own usage one day some day in a distant future.... ;)

Boogie

NLB2 said:
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg

cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg

cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg
cubsfanavatar0ra.jpg

Is this really necessary? What the hell do I have to with this thread?

I'll still buy a DS for Advance Wars and Castlevania. Actually, I hope to steal one from a kid at the mall, so I don't hafta pay Nintendo.

Alex

I'll still buy a DS for Advance Wars and Castlevania. Actually, I hope to steal one from a kid at the mall, so I don't hafta pay Nintendo.

Play Phantom Dust tonight.

NLB2 has been slowly changing...slowly changing.

Also play Phantom Dust...I mean get a new Xbox! :( Whatever!

demi

Alex said:
Also play Phantom Dust...I mean get a new Xbox! :( Whatever!

Don't worry my love, your precious demi will always be here for you!

demi is love

do you love demi?

circle yes/no

pilonv1

JackFrost2012 said:
Speaking of not fair.

I hold Nintendo responsible for my account deletion and the trouble the mods went through. Yes, it was a Nintendo fan, not Nintendo themselves, who did the deletion. But Nintendo has always encouraged and condoned this sort of religious zealotry, and so I'm calling them out as the root cause and viewing my deletion as just another symptom of a greater disease.

I've never thought of myself as a Sony fan; if anything, I'm a Square fanboy (now lapsed). Sure, right now I prefer the PSP to the DS, because the PSP has games I want to play and the DS has jackity shit. But Castlevania will come out and I'll play my DS again, and Pokemon will come out and I'll put 100 hours into a single DS game, and these early woes will be forgottten. Still, despite my current predilictions, I've owned every Nintendo system since its launch. I've owned five different colors of GBA SPs, including three at one particularly confused time in my life. I just finished dropping an obscene and frankly classified amount of money on completing my Pepsi Twist Super Mario Bros. bottlecap collection. My first system was an Atari 2600, but it was Nintendo that made me a gamer, and deep in my heart I will always be a Nintendo fan.

Well, no. Not always. Not anymore.

You see, I hold not only Nintendo responsible, but each and every one of its fans responsible, too. Your rabid fanboyism and bottom-feeding circle-jerking over every awkward hardware "innovation" and half-rate piece of first-party software has encouraged the sort of atmosphere in which this act of cyberterrorism took root and thrived. You have idolized the bad and good alike, obscuring truth and denying reason with your unthinking hosannahs, and now you shall reap nothing but sorrow and loss the days of your lonely life. I hate Nintendo, I hate its fans, and I hate you. The new Zelda is going to be a derivative piece of shit. I was cast into the pit of fire and return to GAF a changed and broken, hateful man. I have gone to the Dark World and now I am RED JackFrost2012. I dedicate this, my second life, to the derailing, demoralization, and destruction of Nintendo in all its many forms.

You are fucked.

Drinky is right. It is not a good time to be a Nintendo fan.

Well said. This also works best if you imagine Ric Flair delivering it.

Chipopo

Banned
ghostface said:
This thread reminds me of the U.S response to 9/11, with Drinky Crow as George W. Bush.

I'm sure the result of this "war" on Nintendo fanboys will be as successful as Dubya's undertaking.

Edit: Yeah I guess the DS kinda does suck, for now. But so does the PSP after the wow factor wears off. I guess I never got into handheld gaming.

Hey, thanks for stealing my idea, ass.

Monk

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Your words are meaningless to me, Australian Nintendo fanboy.

Count yourself lucky he actually read your extended drivel. I go to sleep after you second sentence. Hence why i am asking for a shorter version.

Odnetnin

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Speaking of not fair.

I hold Nintendo responsible for my account deletion and the trouble the mods went through. Yes, it was a Nintendo fan, not Nintendo themselves, who did the deletion. But Nintendo has always encouraged and condoned this sort of religious zealotry, and so I'm calling them out as the root cause and viewing my deletion as just another symptom of a greater disease.

I've never thought of myself as a Sony fan; if anything, I'm a Square fanboy (now lapsed). Sure, right now I prefer the PSP to the DS, because the PSP has games I want to play and the DS has jackity shit. But Castlevania will come out and I'll play my DS again, and Pokemon will come out and I'll put 100 hours into a single DS game, and these early woes will be forgottten. Still, despite my current predilictions, I've owned every Nintendo system since its launch. I've owned five different colors of GBA SPs, including three at one particularly confused time in my life. I just finished dropping an obscene and frankly classified amount of money on completing my Pepsi Twist Super Mario Bros. bottlecap collection. My first system was an Atari 2600, but it was Nintendo that made me a gamer, and deep in my heart I will always be a Nintendo fan.

You see, I hold not only Nintendo responsible, but each and every one of its fans responsible, too. Your rabid fanboyism and bottom-feeding circle-jerking over every awkward hardware "innovation" and half-rate piece of first-party software has encouraged the sort of atmosphere in which this act of cyberterrorism took root and thrived. You have idolized the bad and good alike, obscuring truth and denying reason with your unthinking hosannahs, and now you shall reap nothing but sorrow and loss the days of your lonely life. I hate Nintendo, I hate its fans, and I hate you. The new Zelda is going to be a derivative piece of shit. I was cast into the pit of fire and return to GAF a changed and broken, hateful man. I have gone to the Dark World and now I am RED JackFrost2012. I dedicate this, my second life, to the derailing, demoralization, and destruction of Nintendo in all its many forms.

You are fucked.

Are you fucking kidding me? It read like a comedy post but its too long to be pure teh stupid. Seriously... Nintendo rocks. Whoever did the forum hack was just nuts. I am a Nintendo fan, but I am also a fan of other game developers (yes.. games) on my PS2. If its good. Buy it.*

:)

* except if its FPS trash

AHEM.. who's the hacker!? Someone PM me. :) Cvxfreak? ^_^ (not saying its you.. pm me) :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
chespace said:
As someone who's been playing Meteos, let me be the first to say it's hella overrated.

Only as much as Lumines. Which is to say, they're both probably the best on each handheld right now.

Acosta

It's all about the software... I think there is a place for interesting games in DS, some genres could benefit from its interface and I would love to see more drawn based games like Pac Pix (would be great a a platformer or a fighting game when you draw your character, would be quite funny).

Even if it´s underpowered, it´s upon Nintendo to build a worth library of games. You don´t need 3D technology to build games like Advance Wars and make it a great title. However, from a strict hardware view, DS can´t compare with PSP. The one that has invested and put a lot of risk here is Sony.

However, hope this incident serve to show how lame "console wars" can be. I believe it´s not Nintendo fault afterall, the individual persons are the ones to be ashamed, not their "reasons" to do it.

I´m sorry for the bannings, but is certain GAF is not a "right", this could be closed to 10 people only and no one could say anything about it. If moderators decide to ban anyone that say something positive of Nintendo, or whoever its name start with "A", you have the last decission to keep or not posting.

Socreges

Banned
Chipopo, cheers!

Monk said:
Count yourself lucky he actually read your extended drivel. I go to sleep after you second sentence. Hence why i am asking for a shorter version.
Come on, let's not pretend that his post was anything short of entertaining. Utterly ridiculous in its nature, but I quite liked its construction.

Belfast

See what you N-fans did? You turned JackFrost all DARK and ANGSTY!

Seriously, though, I dislike Nintendo due to their general "simpler is better" and "gimmicks are good!" sentiments that they've been pushing on the gaming public since the N64 days. The problem is that when you take this approach, you'll end up with a few gems, but a lot of crud. My entire gaming existence for about 10 years now has been largely Sony-based with small permutations of Nintendo loving two or three times a year. Indeed, Nintendo still has the capability to make good games, but I love gaming too much to rely on a company that only releases a couple titles that tickle my interest each year. For instance, I liked Paper Mario 2 and Resident Evil 4 was really good. I think I also bought Tales of Symphonia and Metroid Prime 2 at some point (liked the latter, though hated the Dark World), but finished neither of them. I just got bored halfway through. I love my Sony systems because they provide me with a constant stream of new and intriguing titles. I go through games pretty fast, so keeping a good influx of varied and interesting games really helps.

Like most people, I was latched on to the Big N's teat for most of the NES/SNES years, but Nintendo's boorish attitudes and leaky-faucet releases schedule have just turned me off over the years.

Well, that was unpleasant! I guess I chart on the radar of the Fanboys, since I was deleted pretty early on.

What I love about the situation that certain fanboys (the persecuted, righteous, Nintendo=innovation crowd especially) are going through right now is that its sweet payback for the 10 or so years that --as somebody who is lukewarm on Nintendo, and thinks they've set videogaming back a few times as well as advancing it-- I had to endure for daring to tink they weren't ALL THAT.

There's something fundamentally right about Nintendo losing control of the industry (and make no mistake, they did control it) that feels so right.

And before some Ninbot comes in here and says that I'll be sorry, because Sony (who I do like) will suffer the same fate, I say: no kidding. It will take a while, but I see the seeds of it already. And that will be a good thing, too, when it's time.

koam

It's nice to see that everyone here is forced to hate Nintendo and isn't entitled to his or her own opinion anymore because some australian jerkface fanboy got offended. I agree in blocking out his IP range to avoid future hacks but going to point of blocking off any positive remarks to a game company is just absurd.

I wonder, if a Sony fan had performed the hack, would GAF implode?

Note: I like Sony and I like Nintendo but both sides are really overreacting here.

Sidenote 2: Wait a minute, there are Nintendo fans in Australia? I thought Nintendo was pretty much "non-competing" over there.

Bebpo

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Only as much as Lumines. Which is to say, they're both probably the best on each handheld right now.

Not really. Lumines may be overrated in some sense that I don't quite understand but it's still probably the best game on the system.

Meteos is frankly not a very good game. It's ok, but Kirby smacks the shit out of it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
catfish said:
EDIT: well he is banned. Is he aussie?
afaik, yes

koam said:
Sidenote 2: Wait a minute, there are Nintendo fans in Australia? I thought Nintendo was pretty much "non-competing" over there.
that's right, but if anything it makes us even worse. we would be reasonable people if Nintendo made even the slightest impact in Australia.

Unison

Bebpo said:
Not really. Lumines may be overrated in some sense that I don't quite understand but it's still probably the best game on the system.

Lumines isn't balanced at all. Vs. Com mode hinges on either you or the computer getting 1 big combo. Challenge mode goes on too long, and really needs some way to skip the first 20 minutes, which are anything but a challenge.

NLB2

Banned
koam said:
It's nice to see that everyone here is forced to hate Nintendo and isn't entitled to his or her own opinion anymore because some australian jerkface fanboy got offended. I agree in blocking out his IP range to avoid future hacks but going to point of blocking off any positive remarks to a game company is just absurd.

I wonder, if a Sony fan had performed the hack, would GAF implode?

Note: I like Sony and I like Nintendo but both sides are really overreacting here.

Dude, blaming Grubdog for the new GAF regime is like blaming the Jews for the rise of Hitler or blaming terrorism for the fascification of America.

JackFrost2012 said:
Speaking of not fair.

You are fucked.

Id have to disagree. You see, if the person had been a rabid Microsoft or Sony fan, they would have gotten the same treatment. Instead of talking about how DS sucks or how Nintendo games no longer appeal, it'd be rantings on how PSP is failing or why Xbox 2 will be the weakest system, etc. and etc.

Dont blame one intellectually blind person's mistakes on an entire section of a gaming community. No company is exception to failure and success and has its share of literally diehard fans.......

Matlock

Banned
:lol

I thought "hey, gaf could fix itself--posters will maybe be a little more normal when they come back"

:lol

I have way too much faith in stuff.

And before some Ninbot comes in here and says that I'll be sorry, because Sony (who I do like) will suffer the same fate, I say: no kidding. It will take a while, but I see the seeds of it already. And that will be a good thing, too, when it's time

You preach it from the mountains, brother!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
NLB2 said:
Dude, blaming Grubdog for the new GAF regime is like blaming the Jews for the rise of Hitler or blaming terrorism for the fascification of America.
Well in all fairness, Grubdog (if it was indeed Grubdog) was a tad more proactive when provoking this new regime. It seems now all Nintendo fans have to look forward to is a possible REVOLUTION!!!

koam

NLB2 said:

All this new regime will start is more hatred among the fanboys, which will make for some funny reading for the rest of us but it will get annoying. I knew something like this would happen as soon as I saw a stickied "DS vs PSP" thread; No good could have ever come out of that thread. The admins should PREVENT DS vs PSP threads instead of endorsing them. This board is reputable but by god, this new regime will make it worse than some of the IGN boards in terms of fanboyism.

Top Bottom