• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Anyone see this preview yet.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36401:

Niko stood still while Steve was occupied with something and right there, a taxi got rear-ended by another car. What followed was pure magic.

The cabbie and the guy who hit the taxi jumped out of their cars and approached each other. Once they got in to each others' face the fists started flying. Meanwhile, cars are honking for the two vehicles to get out of the way. The two keep slugging away and a cop pulls up. He jumps out with his pistol drawn and both men throw their hands to the sky, surrendering. The cop then drags the cabbie away (he punched first), puts him in the backseat of the cop car and drives off. The other driver returns to his car, gets in and pulls away.
Holy shit.
This whole routine was not staged...it just happened, and we were just there in the right spot to catch it all.
Stuff like that...subtle things, like bumping in to someone with your shoulder makes them give you a dirty look as they walk past...authentic dialects from all over the world...all of this makes this game excellent.

Also some old GTA3 locations making a return. :D

newsguy

Felix Lighter said:
No it's from a NeoGAF thread that you should ignore. That quote is likely the only information worth reading.

yeah this. Skip mentioned it in the thread. Thinking of an A.I ped or criminal trying to cling on to my chopper brings a tear to my eye.

I'm really afraid my TV is going to cut out part of the health meter... It's a CRT HDTV and it tends to cut off a bit of the left side when you use the component inputs.

SolidSquirrel said:
I'm really afraid my TV is going to cut out part of the health meter... It's a CRT HDTV and it tends to cut off a bit of the left side when you use the component inputs.

Same here. But it looks like it's actually far in enough.

We'll...we'll see.

(best game ever)

newsguy

SolidSquirrel said:

Yeah you have overscan on that input. Over time it will get worse. I have to say the one thing I like that digital tech has over analog is that you never have to calibrate it. Man I hated putting up grids and aligning colors on my HD CRT. Colors, contrast, deep blacks are much better than my DLP, but I prefer not having to contantly tinker with it. BTW, some devs place the meters and gauges away from the edges to help out people with ovverscan, not sure if R* does it though.

X26

Banned
preordered it today, wooooooooooooo

as for TV's, I'm going to be laying on a SDTV, hopefully the text in the game is readable

Usually you can adjust the overscan for TVs in a service menu. Do a search using the make and model of your tv and you can usually find how to access the service menu.

MMaRsu said:
oh god that new commercial :|

I want a direct feed :|

Seriously. I'm so fucking desperate for it.

They need to release it officially so:

I can HD the fuck out of it.
1up's Top Men can get to analyzing it.

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

DROP THE PRICE SO I CAN SEE THIS IN HD.

FFChris

Don't know how I'm going to manage to pick this up on day 1 without a pre-order, hopefully Woolworths will come to my rescue, like they did with Halo 3.

So excited for this one.

MMaRsu

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Seriously. I'm so fucking desperate for it.

They need to release it officially so:

I can HD the fuck out of it.
1up's Top Men can get to analyzing it.

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

DROP THE PRICE SO I CAN SEE THIS IN HD.

Hell yeah man I'm going crazy for any footage I see, so if I could have this in HD on my 360 or something that would be so fucking sweet.

I really can't wait anymore. I bought Saints Row today but it doesn't do it for me anymore, I'm still gonna play it but damn that framerate really is shit :lol . Game is fun though :).

But hey this is the GTAIV thread so let's talk about that..the scene in the commercial @ the funeral now that shit looks cool, the city looks so diverse, how big is the area excactly? It's like all of SA's city's combined in one right?

FFChris said:
Don't know how I'm going to manage to pick this up on day 1 without a pre-order, hopefully Woolworths will come to my rescue, like they did with Halo 3.

So excited for this one.

I haven't preordered. Actually I haven't preordered a game in a couple years and the last time I did it, I ended up getting my money back and buying it elsewhere because they had a problem with shipping. Am I really going to need to preorder this? Come on. They can stamp out billions of these optical discs in days if they wanted to right?

I'm still trying to decide whether I should buy the limited edition or buy both versions. I'm suffering an internal struggle, I can't be asked to preorder.

MMaRsu said:
Hell yeah man I'm going crazy for any footage I see, so if I could have this in HD on my 360 or something that would be so fucking sweet.

I really can't wait anymore. I bought Saints Row today but it doesn't do it for me anymore, I'm still gonna play it but damn that framerate really is shit :lol . Game is fun though :).

But hey this is the GTAIV thread so let's talk about that..the scene in the commercial @ the funeral now that shit looks cool, the city looks so diverse, how big is the area excactly? It's like all of SA's city's combined in one right?

I thought it was a wedding. And then it looked like he was walking through a catering hall.

A CATERING HALL.

"I wantcha to help plan my daughter's wedding."
"Oh, but boss. Plaese. I know nothing of such things."
"YA GONNA DO IT NOW, NIKO."
"Yah, yah. I've got to call Playboy X."

*meanwhile, across town, Playboy X picks up his phone*

"Hell yeah, Niko! I'll help you out. I got some local friends who can really rock a party. Pop. Lock. And ROCK."
"Okee, okee. That sounds great, Playboy. I think."

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
You Are The Best Game Of All Time
20g

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread yet, but LOTS of the radio segments in the game are done by both Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez, as well as the staffers from both shows.

MMaRsu

Banned
raYne said:
wat.

:lol You're certainly on a spending spree. Did you even finish Condemned or Lost Odyssey?

Condemned yes, Lost Odyssey not yet. I don't want to finish that one so quickly, but at least before GTAIV hits...

BenjaminBirdie said:
I thought it was a wedding. And then it looked like he was walking through a catering hall.

A CATERING HALL.

"I wantcha to help plan my daughter's wedding."
"Oh, but boss. Plaese. I know nothing of such things."
"YA GONNA DO IT NOW, NIKO."
"Yah, yah. I've got to call Playboy X."

*meanwhile, across town, Playboy X picks up his phone*

"Hell yeah, Niko! I'll help you out. I got some local friends who can really rock a party. Pop. Lock. And ROCK."
"Okee, okee. That sounds great, Playboy. I think."

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
You Are The Best Game Of All Time
20g

:lol dude I'm in tears :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
the wait is killing me!

and by the way, I called Patrice O Neal waaaaaaaay back ;) but I'm not gonna dig that post up :p

MMaRsu

Banned
Did you guys play this quiz yet?

"why did the europeans move to Liberty City?"

Answer C: "The Dutch wanted a new place to sell weed and women"

zaidr

raYne said:
Holy shit!

I just remembered that you can start/place the mp in any part of the city you want. Prison Break confirmed!

I like how you think dude! Tell me you're getting the 360 version. I want to have you as a host!

zaidr

The cabbie and the guy who hit the taxi jumped out of their cars and approached each other. Once they got in to each others' face the fists started flying. Meanwhile, cars are honking for the two vehicles to get out of the way. The two keep slugging away and a cop pulls up. He jumps out with his pistol drawn and both men throw their hands to the sky, surrendering. The cop then drags the cabbie away (he punched first), puts him in the backseat of the cop car and drives off. The other driver returns to his car, gets in and pulls away.
Holy shit.
This whole routine was not staged...it just happened, and we were just there in the right spot to catch it all.
Stuff like that...subtle things, like bumping in to someone with your shoulder makes them give you a dirty look as they walk past...authentic dialects from all over the world...all of this makes this game excellent.

Its a shame if you look away, and look back, it'll all be gone...I can't believe they didn't fix that.

newsguy

Antimatter said:
:O

Best part of that abomination of a thread. Just playing around with Euphoria is going to take up so much of my time. :lol

Yeah, just today I was thinking that. So far the best I've imagined is to stand at a staircase to the subway (since there's so much foot traffic there). You aim at one spot on the staircase where you know a foot may land. Just wait until you have a straight shot and take it. Watching all the different ways people tumble should be fantastic. Domino effects would be youtube material no doubt.

newsguy

Oh shiz. There's spoilerific stuff on page 3. Not about the story, it's about "media"

In addition to these, your character can go to the theatre or sit down and watch television: there's two hours' worth in the game - all designed on the premise: "If you came to America as an immigrant, turned the telly on, what would you see? You'd see complete crap. People talking about money. People talking about selling you weapons. People talking about how rich they are. People playing cards on television."

Recoil

newsguy said:
Oh shiz. There's spoilerific stuff on page 3. Not about the story, it's about "media"

In addition to these, your character can go to the theatre or sit down and watch television: there's two hours' worth in the game - all designed on the premise: "If you came to America as an immigrant, turned the telly on, what would you see? You'd see complete crap. People talking about money. People talking about selling you weapons. People talking about how rich they are. People playing cards on television."

Seriously, how the fuck did they fit this all into 9 gigs?

Someone. Please tell me. I don't understand.

Jtrizzy

omg rite said:
Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread yet, but LOTS of the radio segments in the game are done by both Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez, as well as the staffers from both shows.

Does that include Jim Norton? I used to listen to that show every day on XM radio. I don't like Ron and Fez as much, but whatever.

Sylar

Banned
newsguy said:

Theres a rumor that Vercetti, CJ, and nameless dude are in the card game match on TV.

FightyF said:
THAT IS THE GREATEST AD IN THE HISTORY OF HUMAN KIND

Toldja.

I love this bit, in the new artie:

"The big deal", says Houser, was "detail - our goal was to make a high-definition gaming experience and then figure out what that means tonally through the whole experience, so it's not just about graphics, it's about animation, physics, writing, storytelling, physics, characterisation…"

Teknoman

newsguy said:

Damn every time I enter this topic, the wait gets LONGER.

Any news on eventual HOME functionality or gangs/families (read: clans)?

zaidr

"The big deal", says Houser, was "detail - our goal was to make a high-definition gaming experience and then figure out what that means tonally through the whole experience, so it's not just about graphics, it's about animation, physics, writing, storytelling, physics, characterisation…"

He says physics twice :D

newsguy

Felix Lighter said:
SA eh? The cool guys are playing GTA III.

I won't do it. Reason why? Cause when I see little things in Liberty City that R* threw in there for nostalgia, I want it to literally be nostalgic. I haven't played III in years.

Top Bottom