• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

GQman2121

Banned
The artwork in the OPM scans look like the HOTTNESS!!!! I think they're way better than what's already been released. The chick leaning over with the shades looks to be the same girl in the lollipop sucker shot.

Teknoman

I guess its just personal preference from here own out. I really cant believe some people are going to use custom soundtracks over the in game stations. Then again maybe I dont know how custom works in the GTA series. Would your custom music only play through the car speakers/cell phone?

Saiyu

Oooooh can't look, want the radio stations to be a surprise. Did get a peek that there was gonna be a reggae station again though :D

Teknoman said:
I guess its just personal preference from here own out. I really cant believe some people are going to use custom soundtracks over the in game stations. Then again maybe I dont know how custom works in the GTA series. Would your custom music only play through the car speakers/cell phone?

No, but I want metal!

raYne

Teknoman said:
If you're playing a game for 100+ hours, you'll certainly get tired of hearing the same thing over and over. Add to that, even if there's something you like on the in-game soundtrack, you'll have to sit through a whole bunch of stuff you don't just to get to it. Then when that's done, the process repeats itself.

With the custom soundtrack, you put in only what to want, you can make your own playlists AND you can change to the exact song you want to listen to on the fly.

As for implementation: I don't remember hearing anything about an iPod or walkman option, so the in-game soundtrack will probably be limited to cars. Either driving in or leaving them running while you go about your business.

Since the 360's is a function of the system itself and not the game, you'll be able to play custom soundtracks anywhere at anytime.

Sylar

Banned
Except for the fact that you miss out on the commercials and the DJ vingettes.

Using a custom soundtrack with GTA is like playing the japanese version of Metal Gear Solid. Makes no sense.

Sylar said:

Using a custom soundtrack with GTA is like playing the japanese version of Metal Gear Solid. Makes no sense.

Maybe if you don't want to sit through the music you don't like just to hear commercials?

raYne

Sylar said:

That's all well and good on day one, but on day 45 when you've heard everything already.. Not so much.

Sylar

Banned
raYne said:
That's all well and good on day one, but on day 45 when you've heard everything already.. Not so much.

Which just prooves that you've never played a GTA before and should shut up because no one has ever complained about it past 45 days.

Most people don't even listen to the radio for the songs, they listen for the commercials and the DJ banter.

raYne

Sylar said:
Which just prooves that you've never played a GTA before and should shut up because no one has ever complained about it past 45 days.

Most people don't even listen to the radio for the songs, they listen for the commercials and the DJ banter.
:lol! Sure...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sylar said:
Was already in a GTA, and R* doesn't put repeated music into their games.

2418765537_e2a05d6a74_o.jpg

Sylar said:

Ugh.

Sylar

Banned
I'm just saying, Lazlow's writing in the games radio stations is second to none in video games.

When people say video games have great writing, Lazlow should be up there at the forefront.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sylar said:

lol@ this

Sylar

Banned
Himuro said:
Lazlow? What about Dan Houser and the other writers?

Lazlow's radio bits are far above the actual story lines (although Vice City had an amazing story). DH and his crew should get recognition too but as far as i see it, Lazlows Chatterbox writing pretty much saved video games from shitty RPG stories.

Teknoman

Eh maybe its just me. I tend to like to listen to all the tracks in a GTA game. Including DJs, commercials, etc. Even if its a song I dont particularly like...it might just fit the current situation in some wierd way. That or I just turn the radio off.

Now crackdown on the other hand...custom 360 soundtrack all the way. Though mostly intrumental stuff/ stuff that fit with chase scenes or sneaky investigations.

Sylar

Banned
Agent Ironside said:
Negative alpha zulu niner.

Sorry they dont have Soldier Boy for you :/

They don't have my type of music in any of the GTA games, which is j-pop and j-rock.

Dan Houser and his buds write the commercials and stations as well. Do you honestly think this is all Lazlow?

Lazlow writes ALOT of it. The bits DH and his crew write aren't no weres near the amount Lazzy does.

I know because I was an intern for Lazlow back when they were back on regulary in ny.

*Sigh*-lar strikes again.

I'm only talking about custom playlists for the in-game implementation: car radios and the like. I'm not talking about the 360-level usage.

Cedeo

Can't wait for April 29th, it's just it can't come at a worse time for me going to be so busy around that time. Might have to hold back playing it for a few weeks so I can enjoy it at its best rather than experiencing it feeling tired.

when ps3 users finally get in-game xmb, won't that amount to custom soundtrack? and can't 360 already play music during a game? i don't have one, so i don't know.

notjackbauer said:
when ps3 users finally get in-game xmb, won't that amount to custom soundtrack? and can't 360 already play music during a game? i don't have one, so i don't know.
There's a difference. Yes, you can play songs over any game with the 360 (and, hopefully, eventually the PS3). This type of custom soundtrack runs over everything, replacing the in-game music and, often, sound effects and dialog.

What San Andreas did, though, was play the songs only when you were in the car as if they were coming off the radio. That way it's all seamlessly integrated in the world and you don't miss a thing. Plus, if the weave commercials in this time, *shudder*

raYne

Himuro said:
Diablos said:
Unison said:
Wow... really?

You need a new type of music.
Agent Ironside said:
oh ic :lol :lol :lol

Sorry for assuming you wanted soldier boy.
Kabouter said:
:lol :lol :lol

Pretty much..

notjackbauer said:
Well, in-game xmb doesn't automatically mean custom soundtracks will be there. But if the ability is there, sure.

As for the 360, yes. That's what the conversation's about. ;)

crustikid

CrushDance said:

I'm wondering if the special editions come in GTAIV all black box art. I like how that looks over the regular-edition box art, but I doubt they'll do that since the black was probably just place-holder art.

I really don't care how corny this sounds, but I can't wait to go bowling in this game. :p

Edit: Oh and play darts too....I hope you can play vs. with a friend on these mini-games.

Top Bottom