• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official List of links to Wikileaks New Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the start up the computer generated redactions again. :lol

The press suggests this "sensitive" evidence could impact bilateral relations and adds that the "extremely delicate" details of Op Troika are so close-hold that barely 10 GOS officials are aware of them all. In the context of the clout that Petrov's network enjoyed and the political connections it had, multiple Spanish media outlets reported that one of Petrov's intercepted phone conversation suggests the Russian XXXXXXXXXXXX reportedly was sailing on Petrov's yacht on September 6, 2007, an allegation that Russia's Ambassador to Spain publicly denied as "completely false."

numble

Sweedishrodeo said:
Thnx for this. Doing it by region is best, and I'd like to follow this cloesly..
I'd support separate threads for separate regions, and possibly some singular threads for big countries like China or Russia.

With so much info out there, it's just really random conversations as one post is reacting to Russia news and another is reacting to South American news, so there's not much discussion on these things.

Lard

Banned
numble said:
I'd support separate threads for separate regions, and possibly some singular threads for big countries like China or Russia. .

Too hard to keep up with stories with four or five separate threads, I think.

delirium

nyong said:
Wait, this says that wikileaks has formerly released Mason and Mormon rituals? I can't seem to find anything directly through their site. Anyone know where I can still find this stuff?
They've removed (temporarily?) every content except the the "Collateral Murder" video, the Iraq/Afghanistan war logs, and the cable leaks.

I remember a couple years ago when the biggest thing Wikileaks was involved in was getting the secret scientology docs online for everyone to see and lol and smh at... What a difference a couple years make.

nyong said:
Wait, this says that wikileaks has formerly released Mason and Mormon rituals? I can't seem to find anything directly through their site. Anyone know where I can still find this stuff?
I posted a link earlier in this thread (edit: I meant the other thread) to the stuff from wikileaks that shows up on archive.org. It's got all their stuff from 2008 and before.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Where does that put him on the bogan scale?

whilst most Queenslanders are bogans Assange seems to be lacking basic bogan traits.

Lard

Banned
American officials swept aside British protests about secret US spy flights taking place from the UK's Cyprus airbase, the leaked diplomatic cables reveal.

Lard

Banned
Abu Ghraib Photos Inspired Hundreds Of Would-Be Terrorists
Saudi Arabia arrested 250 people trying to leave the country to train as terrorists after pictures of Abu Ghraib abuse were released.

Well done America!

Lard said:
Abu Ghraib Photos Inspired Hundreds Of Would-Be Terrorists
Saudi Arabia arrested 250 people trying to leave the country to train as terrorists after pictures of Abu Ghraib abuse were released.

Well done America!

Then they should never have been released...at least that seems to be the lesson.

mantidor

Vox-Pop said:
any latin america news?

Theres the bit about Cuban spies using Venezuela, how Iran is searching for uranium in Bolivia and Venezuela with full support of Chavez, Cuba offering refugee to Farc, ELN and ETA members, Brazil thought of Colombia as the unstabling force in the region, and that they knew about the presence of Farc in Venezuela. I don't have sources in english but I'll try to find them.

Overall, it's all things everyone knew already.

skybaby

mantidor said:
Theres the bit about Cuban spies using Venezuela, how Iran is searching for uranium in Bolivia and Venezuela with full support of Chavez, Cuba offering refugee to Farc, ELN and ETA members, Brazil thought of Colombia as the unstabling force in the region, and that they knew about the presence of Farc in Venezuela. I don't have sources in english but I'll try to find them.

Overall, it's all things everyone knew already.
You guys can't access wikileaks? Reading the cables raw has been my favorite past time for these couple of days :lol

Every time I go to Wikileaks and look at the counter of number of cables released, it always gets me how few have been released so far. Cables have been leaking for 5 days already and we still don't have 1% of the cables released yet. How long are they going to keep this going for? Are they eventually going to give up with the trickle and just release the rest at once?

mantidor

skybaby said:
You guys can't access wikileaks? Reading the cables raw has been my favorite past time for these couple of days :lol

Oh we can access it, no problem, is just way too much information, so I prefer to only read the newspapers:

here the bit about brazil (in spanish, but with the original cable):
http://www.semana.com/noticias-naci...ion-lee-cable-divulgado-wikileaks/148189.aspx

the bit about cuban spies (only the original cable):
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/inte.../Venezuela/elpepuint/20101130elpepuint_39/Tes

I'll try to check for more.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Shit's hitting the fan in Spain. Leftist party Izquierda Unida will pursue private prosecution in the case about rendition flights over Spain, and an attorney association has sued one of the top judges of the National High Court for being a US mole and maneuvering to stop the investigation on the death of a Spanish journalist killed in Iraq by US troops.

On top of that, Spain's Attorney general is under fire for collaborating with the US government in order to stop or divert those investigations, and lawyers associations are rebelling all over the place.

Here's some background information about the whole mess.

Solaros

skybaby said:
Wikileaks has been suffering a DDOS attack since Tuesday I believe. Their servers were getting constant requests that totaled to 10 gigabits per second. It appears to be fine now though.

nyong

Banned
polyh3dron said:
I remember a couple years ago when the biggest thing Wikileaks was involved in was getting the secret scientology docs online for everyone to see and lol and smh at... What a difference a couple years make.

Wiki is a one-trick pony for the most part. They had a single source.

nyong

Banned
Lard said:
Well done America!
Wait, so you're saying that our government authorized that stuff? Tolerated it? Are Somali muslims responsible for their own mosque being burned in Portland, OR because one of their own did bad things?

It's impossible to absolutely prevent bad people from doing bad thing.

Lard

Banned
I have a presentation this afternoon (last day of class!), so won't be editing the thread much until tonight.

Igo

Lard said:
UK overruled on Lebanon spy flights from Cyprus, WikiLeaks cables reveal
Americans dismissed 'bureaucratic' Foreign Office concern that Lebanese Hezbollah suspects might be tortured

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/01/wikileaks-cables-cyprus-rendition-torture

This really pleased me. There are people in our government who actually have the balls to challenge the US on the treatment of these 'suspects'.

nyong said:
Wiki is a one-trick pony for the most part. They had a single source.

Nonsense. They have 5 gigs from a Bank of America executive's hard drive since 2009. Who knows what else they have waiting for release. I wouldn't be surprised if these leaks continue into 2012 at the rate we're going.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Then they should never have been released...at least that seems to be the lesson.

They were released for the good of the detainees. The aftermath is deserved and we just have to deal with it accordingly.

nyong

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Bullshit.

:lol

What else do they have? A bank executive's old harddrive and an ex-Mormon's insight into secret rituals? Every single scrap of military and government information--from the war to the embassy cables--was obtained by a single Army Private who did nothing more than click copy-paste onto a CD during work hours. They can trickle this stuff out for years, but it doesn't change the fact they're a one-trick pony.

As a whole, the organization is pretty laughable from an operational standpoint.

Zenith

Banned
nyong said:

What else do they have? A bank executive's old harddrive and an ex-Mormon's insight into secret rituals? Every single scrap of military and government information--from the war to the embassy cables--was obtained by a single Army Private who did nothing more than click copy-paste onto a CD during work hours. They can trickle this stuff out for years, but it doesn't change the fact they're a one-trick pony.

As a whole, the organization is pretty laughable from an operational standpoint.

Could you be any more inaccurate?

nyong said:

???
Are you missing the point?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
nyong said:

They have released plenty of stuff unrelated to any of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikileaks#Leaks

Funky Papa said:
Shit's hitting the fan in Spain. Leftist party Izquierda Unida will pursue private prosecution in the case about rendition flights over Spain, and an attorney association has sued one of the top judges of the National High Court for being a US mole and maneuvering to stop the investigation on the death of a Spanish journalist killed in Iraq by US troops.

On top of that, Spain's Attorney general is under fire for collaborating with the US government in order to stop or divert those investigations, and lawyers associations are rebelling all over the place.

Here's some background information about the whole mess.

Those sound like good developments to me.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
empty vessel said:
Those sound like good developments to me.
It sounds delicious, but unfortunately I'm not sure if it will gain traction, considering that much of this mess was started during the rule of the biggest opposition party (meaning that they are going to sit through it crossing their fingers instead of pushing for an investigation like the non-governing smaller parties).

Funky Papa said:
It sounds delicious, but unfortunately I'm not sure if it will gain traction, considering that much of this mess was started during the rule of the biggest opposition party (meaning that they are going to sit through it crossing their fingers instead of pushing for an investigation like the non-governing smaller parties).

Ah, yes, in my country we call them Democrats.

besada

Banned
Zenith said:
I wonder how he'll respond to facts? Even if you don't know anything about wikileaks how do you concoct such a view without fabricating stuff?

This is nyong. He's impervious to facts.

EzLink

Banned
Oh shit, a bunch of stuff on the Russian mafia. Awesome

Having recently, uh, "met" (read: fell for and would have dated if not for the danger) somebody whose father is in that organization, I can only hope this kind of exposure puts pressure on Russia's government to change and go after these fucks. It disgusts me how much power these guys have over innocent people, how much harm and destruction they will inflict just to get some cash. Just as a quick example, the mail order bride system in Russia is largely controlled by the mafia, and many innocent girls who go through the system are picked up by the bratva and forced into a life prostitution. The Russian mafia isn't like the Italian mafia, where at least there is some sense of honor and ethics amongst the organization (which is primarily due to religious differences... Italian mafia still has remnants of catholic ideals while the Russian mafia is largely non-religious). Of course, one of the articles states that the Russian government gets 300 billion in bribe money a year from the mafia, so I doubt it's going to get better :/

Anyway, this is the type of corruption I love to see exposed

EzLink said:
Oh shit, a bunch of stuff on the Russian mafia. Awesome

Having recently, uh, "met" (read: fell for and would have dated if not for the danger) somebody whose father is in that organization, I can only hope this kind of exposure puts pressure on Russia's government to change and go after these fucks. It disgusts me how much power these guys have over innocent people, how much harm and destruction they will inflict just to get some cash. Just as a quick example, the mail order bride system in Russia is largely controlled by the mafia, and many innocent girls who go through the system are picked up by the bratva and forced into a life prostitution. The Russian mafia isn't like the Italian mafia, where at least there is some sense of honor and ethics amongst the organization (which is primarily due to religious differences... Italian mafia still has remnants of catholic ideals while the Russian mafia is largely non-religious). Of course, one of the articles states that the Russian government gets 300 billion in bribe money a year from the mafia, so I doubt it's going to get better :/

Anyway, this is the type of corruption I love to see exposed
I would expect extreme brutality from any organization that spent most of the last century operating under the communist regime.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Only 505 cables have been leaked so far. 250,000 will be leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom