• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

AniHawk

Gigglepoo said:

Than what?

I'm I the only person who flat out did not like Thousand-Year Door but is having a blast with Super Paper Mario? I can't be alone, right? Though the games have very similar gameplay, the pacing in SPM is so much better. Dialog is spent much more efficiently. The quality and quantity of the writing is such that I don't feel like skipping over conversation all the time. Replacing turn based combat with jumping makes the experience much faster and enjoyable. And the horrible backtracking has been kept to an absolute minimum. I just finished Chapter 5 and haven't had to go out of my way for more than ten minutes at a time yet.

Just a magnificent game all around.
You must be from Flopside, because I feel the exact opposite. I thought PM2 was brilliant and this has been an unfortunate step back.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PM and PM2 were definitely better, so far. Save for humor/writing, and even then, PM2 is VERY close. I like the direction SPM is taking, but I don't think it's varied or refined quite enough.

AniHawk

Mejilan said:
PM and PM2 were definitely better, so far. Save for humor/writing, and even then, PM2 is VERY close. I like the direction SPM is taking, but I don't think it's varied or refined quite enough.

I think the text and pixel/character swapping is too much of a chore and breaks up the action too much. The levels could have been done without text, and the character swapping should've been done on the fly, or at the very least, Mario should've gained those things as powers (fireballs for Bowser's attack, and a cape for Peach's floaty thing).

cvxfreak

I think the storyline should have been saved for Paper Mario 3, while Super Paper Mario should have been a straight up platformer.

Mejilan

AniHawk said:
I think the text and pixel/character swapping is too much of a chore and breaks up the action too much. The levels could have been done without text, and the character swapping should've been done on the fly, or at the very least, Mario should've gained those things as powers (fireballs for Bowser's attack, and a cape for Peach's floaty thing).

I don't disagree. With a bit more polish and refinement, it could have been VERY slick. As it is, it's clever, enjoyable, and fresh, but not enough to stand up against the polish of the previous PMs.

Paper Mario is still, to me, one of the best games I've ever played. Thousand Yeard Door was my favorite Gamecube game, but didn't touch the original. Super Paper Mario is a cool little side-step of the Paper Mario formula, but unfortunately I believe the framework of the series as a whole works far greater as a traditional RPG like it used to be. And no more other world shit, please, take him back to the Mushroom Kingdom for a change.

ruffles

In the Nintendo Power interview, the creators said they don't think they'll go back to the same style of before. They are also looking for another new and different style.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i like spm as an experiment, and a bit of a change-up, but i'd much rather this make a return to its more rpg-like elements in the next installment. as something fresh it's coming across quite nicely once, and i think one of the things reviewers are saying most positively about it is that it's one of a kind and an interesting mix. that said, i think a return to form is in order, when the next in the series comes to fruition.

Koomaster

ruffles said:
Pre world 5 help:

Man, I can't solve that stupid 8 block thing to get access to the pure heart statue for World 5. I read the hint and I still don't get. :/
I took the complicated method of figuring out what blocks were affected when you hit each of the 8 blocks. Starting from the far left side...

Hitting Block 1 changes: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8
Hitting Block 2 changes: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
Hitting Block 3 changes: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7
Hitting Block 4 changes: 2, 3, 4, 5, 8
Hitting Block 5 changes: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7
Hitting Block 6 changes: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Hitting Block 7 changes: 2, 3, 6, 7, 8
Hitting Block 8 changes: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8

So you can hit them randomly till 5 blocks are unlit, then find which number you need to hit to light them all.

Overly complicated after seeing what Mejilan said about making it work. :lol

Mejilan said:
Chapter 7 is AWESOME.

Was Chapter 6 really that stupid, empty, lame, boring, and short?! It was like 1/3 of a normal chapter!
Yeah it was the lamest cheapest thing I've seen in gaming honestly. All I had to do is as soon as each fight started just hold down with Bowser and have him toast each fighter. Sometimes I would have to move him over if the fighter was able to move away quick enough. But considering the whole thing, it wasn't even a level, I don't even know what you'd call it.

I found out after you beat the game the rest of the fighters are available for you to fight, and being a completist I will probably go through that. Still, it's a horrible excuse for a level - and I even found the gerbil wheel a fun diversion.

The whole game IMO has been great so far except for World 6, it's really the low point.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay.. Chapter 7-4... Where the heck is
Blubie?
I found the other two. But I can't find this one! I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE!

I just beat Chapter 4 today. I'm really enjoying the game; I can agree with people that wish it was a little less RPG-y but the actual in-chapters design I'm really, really digging. The writing is obviously high quality and there's lots of little clever design choices that keep impressing me. I do wish it had just been Mario you controlled though, as Peach and Bowser really seem to serve no purpose at this point, I'm not sure why IS thought it was a good thing to do.

variance

Slowly making my way through it, I'm on 2-1 I think.

The end boss of chapter one had me cracking up, though. Great game thus far.

Mardak

Jasoco said:
Okay.. Chapter 7-4... Where the heck is
Blubie?
I found the other two. But I can't find this one! I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE!
There's a part where you can go across and enter a door.. or go down and enter another door. (You'll see 3 or so blocks when going down.)

Mejilan

Saved at 8-3, now to bed. Tomorrow I shall conquer this game, then consider if I really want to continue hunting the rest of the treasure maps, or complete the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials... twice (urk!)...

Mardak

Koomaster said:
I took the complicated method of figuring out what blocks were affected when you hit each of the 8 blocks. Starting from the far left side...

Hitting Block 1 changes: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8
Hitting Block 2 changes: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
Hitting Block 3 changes: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7
Hitting Block 4 changes: 2, 3, 4, 5, 8
Hitting Block 5 changes: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7
Hitting Block 6 changes: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Hitting Block 7 changes: 2, 3, 6, 7, 8
Hitting Block 8 changes: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8

So you can hit them randomly till 5 blocks are unlit, then find which number you need to hit to light them all.

Overly complicated after seeing what Mejilan said about making it work. :lol
Oh. That's what the block thing is. I found it really easy...
I thought you were supposed to just hit all the blocks, and I did that. After looking through those numbers, you can see why my method worked out. Each block is listed exactly 5 times, an odd number. Hit every block once and...

FINALLY got it.

I don't know what you yahoos are on. It's a perfect blend of Paper Mario with Yoshi's Island and DK'94: neither of which, you'll recall, had a run button. The puzzle solving is great, and the part I really really like is that you CAN play the game as a platformer in the normal Mario (see
world 1-4 with the fireball arms
) OR you can "cheat" and use the 3D flip.

Gigglepoo

Mejilan said:
Saved at 8-3, now to bed. Tomorrow I shall conquer this game, then consider if I really want to continue hunting the rest of the treasure maps, or complete the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials... twice (urk!)...

Twice? Does this mean I have to go through Flipside again?

Swordian

Gigglepoo said:
Twice? Does this mean I have to go through Flipside again?

No.

When you get to the bottom of the Flopside pit the first time, a voice tells you to do it one more time to prove your worth. When you do it the second time you have a boss battle and treasure.

As a side note, I really like that the Pit of 100 trials is a
Game & Watch. You even see the circuitry when you go into 3D.

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
FINALLY got it.

I don't know what you yahoos are on. It's a perfect blend of Paper Mario with Yoshi's Island and DK'94: neither of which, you'll recall, had a run button. The puzzle solving is great, and the part I really really like is that you CAN play the game as a platformer in the normal Mario (see
world 1-4 with the fireball arms
) OR you can "cheat" and use the 3D flip.

My major problem isn't so much the lack of platforming, but the inconsistent level design. Every alternate world feels like IntSys is intentionally screwing with the gamer.

AniHawk said:
My major problem isn't so much the lack of platforming, but the inconsistent level design. Every alternate world feels like IntSys is intentionally screwing with the gamer.

I've played for twelve straight hours and am at
The UnderWhere
, aaand I can't say I agree with you. Level design is awesome.

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
I've played for twelve straight hours and am at
The UnderWhere
, aaand I can't say I agree with you. Level design is awesome.

I've played for 9 hours and I have no idea where you are.

One thing's for sure though: this game is getting me really excited for Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn and Super Mario Galaxy at the same time.

Dragona Akehi said:
I don't know what you yahoos are on. It's a perfect blend of Paper Mario with Yoshi's Island and DK'94: neither of which, you'll recall, had a run button.
And aside from being 2d Mario games published by Nintendo the lack of a run button is about all SPM, DK94, and YI have in common! They play nothing alike, and I've yet to see any elements that felt like they were pulled from either game. If SPM is reminiscent of anything it's a Monster World game, as Mejilan mentioned earlier.

Too bad SPM's not nearly as good as Dragon's Curse. People should buy that instead! It's got a funnier translation, no overlong cutscenes, it's a bit of a challenge, you have to grind a bit but it's preferable to that hamster wheel bullshit, and it features a smoking one-eyed pig.

pig.jpg

OHHH YEAH WELCOME TO FLAVOR COUNTRY.

AniHawk said:
I've played for 9 hours and I have no idea where you are.

Further than you, apparently.

Definately one of the best games I've played in years.

One thing's for sure though: this game is getting me really excited for Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn and Super Mario Galaxy at the same time.

IS IT SARCASM OR IS IT TRUTH?

THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW. :p

Rummy Bunnz said:
And aside from being 2d Mario games published by Nintendo the lack of a run button is about all SPM, DK94, and YI have in common! They play nothing alike, and I've yet to see any elements that felt like they were pulled from either game. If SPM is reminiscent of anything it's a Monster World game, as Mejilan mentioned earlier.

Too bad SPM's not nearly as good as Dragon's Curse. People should buy that instead! It's got a funnier translation, no overlong cutscenes, it's a bit of a challenge, you have to grind a bit but it's preferable to that hamster wheel bullshit, and it features a smoking one-eyed pig.

pig.jpg

OHHH YEAH WELCOME TO FLAVOR COUNTRY.

Controls are identical feeling to Yoshi's Island, and SPM takes DK'94's influence in terms of puzzle solving in lieu of straight platforming.

Dragon's Curse is awesome and all, but...

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
IS IT SARCASM OR IS IT TRUTH?

THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW. :p

Truth.

Also, part of the reason I might not be enjoying this so much might be because of all the stress recently. I should probably finish up world 6 tonight and call it quits until Thursday.

AniHawk said:
Truth.

Also, part of the reason I might not be enjoying this so much might be because of all the stress recently. I should probably finish up world 6 tonight and call it quits until Thursday.

I think you'll get a kick out of world six.

Something about this game has me hooked cause I find myself spending hours looking for secrets, getting cards, etc. But for everything this game does good there is something really stupid, like say 6-1 which just makes you go "why???"

Its going to be hard to judge.

Dartastic

Oh. My. God. World 3-4.

The dating sim with Peach was ABSOLUTELY 100% HILLLLLLARIOUS. I kinda humored the guy for a bit, until he asked me to marry him. Then I full on accepted. Watching Peach's reaction was... priceless, to say the least. I don't think I've ever full on lol'ed at a game, but... I did. And I was, throughout the entire scene. I <3 Super Paper Mario.

:lol :lol :lol

Jiggy

Mejilan said:
That whole thing at the end of 7-4 just annoys me. :\ I really don't have a problem with
characters dying, or something resembling dying, but come on--Super Paper Mario is a really lighthearted game. How can you introduce this wonderful, vivid character and kill her off a few levels later, but expect me to not be the slightest bit ticked when they go on to send the general trite message that I shouldn't be sad for her, she's found her real purpose, etc.? It's freaking Super Paper Mario, not a dissertation about the meaning of life as seen from an existentialist perspective. :\ Just have her split in two and continue to live by THE POWER OF LOVE, or something like that, and go on verbally smacking down damsels like Princess Peach who lacketh the common sense. At least then I could believe it when Mario/Luigi/whoever you're using barely blinks about what happens.

And it's also really opening my eyes to the necessary restrictions Intelligent Systems will continue to be under unless they can make an original RPG not set in the Mario universe: they won't have to create these awesome, superb, fantastic best-Nintendo-character-ever characters who are consigned to being one-hit wonders in one-off games. They can't do these characters in Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, as much as I love those games, but there has to be room for a wacky IS universe with original creations... After all, to be honest, I feel like most of the greatness in the three Paper Mario games never came from anything related to the fact that they're set in the Mario universe.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You know, I can see where a lot of the hate comes from for this game...the tedious parts are absolutely ridiculous, and the long ass dialogues, while often funny, really take you out of the game and make it seem longer than it is.. But still, the puzzle solving and exploration aspects are a ton of fun, as well as the 2D action. Yeah, it's not a straight platformer and the switching between characters/pixls is kind of annoying, but overall it's the first game since Twilight Princess that I've put several hours into in one day. Today I nearly hit 6 hours, and I'm itching to play it more before I go to bed...It's just a good game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I finally got around to playing it today. Awesome. The dialogue is damned genius, and some of the situations Mario and co. were put in, reminded me of how trained I have become when playing games. I looked dumb as hell when I found out the easy way to get through the sweatshop. :lol

The game kicks major ass.

Finn

And aside from being 2d Mario games published by Nintendo the lack of a run button is about all SPM, DK94, and YI have in common!
There's a run button, just have to figure out how to get it.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
As much as I like the Paper Mario series (this one in particular), I'm pretty sure I'm done with the paper motif. I'd like to see them tackle another style for the next game.

sammy

--- is anyone's mind also completely blown away by this game sometimes? it's so much grander than i could've expected (i did put forth a good effort in not spoiling anything for myself)
sometimes i really can't believe what's going on on my screen ----- i thought chapter 3 was awesome, then i got to chapter 4, THEN chapter 5 is amazing ..... really how the whimsy of the Mario universe should be - absolutely bonkers -

i'm trying to soak up the whole thing slowly --- but died 95 levels into the 100-trials.... :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just finished up 7-4 and I am extremely impressed! I love all the little in-jokes, the excellent level design... level 4-4 in particular stood out in my mind, and how the game constantly subverts your expectations (which Anihawk was unhappy about, but I loved). Chapter 6 was pretty insane, the
turn based RPG battle against the Chain Chomps
, the whole of level 3-4, going to
the minus world
, it's all so good. Some of the puzzles were really annoying and I had to turn to the guide to solve (like the block hitting puzzle in world 5-1, or the
mine cart in 5-3, I was looking for a switch to divert the track, I didn't know you just had to hit the control pad to move over, while in 3D, to get by
), and the constant switching between characters/pixls gets kind of annoying. They should've taken out the slight Wiimote functionality and forced you to use the classic controller, and allowing you to map the buttons to your favorite pixls.

This is probably the best game so far of "next gen".

Mejilan

Rummy Bunnz said:

Ehh, let's not go insane, now.

Top Bottom