• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

Finn

Does anyone know where I could find a walkthrough online that has all the recipes in it? I've uncovered about 54 of them, but now I'm just stumped. If someone could help me out, that would be awesome.

Swordian

Finn said:
Does anyone know where I could find a walkthrough online that has all the recipes in it? I've uncovered about 54 of them, but now I'm just stumped. If someone could help me out, that would be awesome.

How many pages of recipes do you have in the DS on the wall?

jrricky

Banned
I have to come in and give my props to Nintendo for this one:

"I love going on message boards and complaining about games Ive never played!" - In the Francis castle level. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Its so sad cause its true about a lot of people on GAF. All i can say is the game pwned all of y'all who do this stuff. Thats the first time i have ever seen a game that pokes so much fun on things...and its refreshing.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The game is great fun but the level design is mostly hit and miss and the 3D controls need some major work. I don't believe its to the level of the previous two titles but it shows an incredible amount of promise. The RPG mechanics, I think they nailed off the bat, but the endless parade of character switching breaks the flow. I get its a hybrid title but you don't need to carry over every RPG cliche. I'd love to see a future sequel done in the same style with controls grounded in basic physics (inertia, etc) and more emphasis on creating faster paced levels without resorting to "HAHA HIDDEN OBJECT" style of gimmicky design.

Overall the game is a step forward. I can't wait for the sequel.

Raw64life

Great game so far. I just finished chapter 5, and so far I'd give it an 8.5, which is roughly the gamerankings average it currently has. By comparison I'd give PM2 a 9. My problems with the game would be that there is a little too much dialouge, the combat is a little to easy, and the character/pixl switching system could've been made easier.

Also, a question. I had to resort to a FAQ for the first time on 5-1, when you have to hit some blocks in a certain order. The FAQ says
With them out of the way, and probably down a couple of healing items too, go to the far right and you'll find three more blocks like the last ones. This time, though, you must hit them quite a few more times, and in another odd order. Hit the middle, right, left, left, right, middle, right, left, right, right, middle, right, right, left, middle, middle, left, left, left, right, left, left, left, middle, and middle for a new pipe to appear.
While that did work, it still left me wondering as to how the hell you're supposed to figure that out on your own. What did I miss?

TekunoRobby said:
The game is great fun but the level design is mostly hit and miss and the 3D controls need some major work. I don't believe its to the level of the previous two titles but it shows an incredible amount of promise. The RPG mechanics, I think they nailed off the bat, but the endless parade of character switching breaks the flow. I get its a hybrid title but you don't need to carry over every RPG cliche. I'd love to see a future sequel done in the same style with controls grounded in basic physics (inertia, etc) and more emphasis on creating faster paced levels without resorting to "HAHA HIDDEN OBJECT" style of gimmicky design.

Overall the game is a step forward. I can't wait for the sequel.

Dude, it takes like 0.5 seconds to switch characters/pixls.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'd like to see IntSys do an RPG that has nothing to do with the Mario universe. It seemed like they were actively trying to stray far away with it with SPM and were intent on creating original locations and characters. It'd be interesting to see what they'd come up with if they were given complete creative freedom with these game mechanics.

EDIT: Oh right an explanation for underfooter. Having multiple characters with a singular purpose and forcing the player to shift through menus in order to solve one-off puzzles is a bit ridiculous (like switching from Mario to Peach multiple times in a single level). For the Pixls they could've have easily consolidated them to a fewer amount or relegate those moves to the main character's moveset. The designer's could've focused the game on Mario only and it wouldn't have changed the gameplay or puzzle approach. It just feels cumbersome within an platformer/action environment to shuffle through menus when each character takes anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds to select. Now this isn't a big complaint but the process could've been streamlined.

You do get a nice bonus for beating the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials, but I'm not sure it was worth
two trips through. That was a lame move when it was already awesome they'd included 200 levels in total. But still, no more worrying about Mario in 3D! Shame there seems to be no way to earn the 3D flip for the other characters, the A button goes painfully unused. I would have rather had the Ground Pound be Mario's exclusive move, and let everyone flip.

It's also interesting what you can do in the epilogue to replace something missing. You'll need to take a trip back to an earlier Chapter. And bring as much cash as you can carry...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
jvalioli said:
I just finished too. The music for the credits is nice.

Pretty damn enjoyable and satisfying for a first gen Wii game. Lordy knows that just about every other recent system imaginable could have used a solid RPG-ish title not even half a year after the console's launching. (Some systems, older yet, are still waiting!)

Finn

How many pages of recipes do you have in the DS on the wall?
I think I collected four disks. Unfortunately, to acquire some of them you need
Tippi (who can uncover hidden blocks). But once you beat the game, you can no longer use Tippi's skill considering she's chilling with Bleck somewhere. Major suckage.

I'm really just having trouble finding some ingredients for a few recipes.

Jiggy

TekunoRobby said:
I'd like to see IntSys do an RPG that has nothing to do with the Mario universe. It seemed like they were actively trying to stray far away with it with SPM and were intent on creating original locations and characters. It'd be interesting to see what they'd come up with if they were given complete creative freedom with these game mechanics.
Exactly--and more to the point, a pretty high number of the original locations and characters were much better than the Mario characters. Especially
Francis
and
Luvbi
, but others also.

Thaedolus said:
You know, I can see where a lot of the hate comes from for this game...the tedious parts are absolutely ridiculous, and the long ass dialogues, while often funny, really take you out of the game and make it seem longer than it is.. But still, the puzzle solving and exploration aspects are a ton of fun, as well as the 2D action.
You know, honestly, it's not so much the tedious parts that hurt the game for me, or the dialogue. I mean, yeah, I hated the tedious things and the stupidly high number of password puzzles and all that, but it's not like they took particularly long. I can handle twelve or so lame minutes in a 13-hour game. And I'm not a person who's amused by most of the Paper Mario series' dialogue (the two spoilered characters above notwithstanding, because they're both awesome), but again, it's not like it takes that long to get through. I've put up with far worse in both cases.

The only thing I really didn't like about the game, and what hurt it for me more than anything, was that there's too much exploration and not enough action (outside the bosses, but then, there's no way to refight those). Compared to the Paper Mario RPGs, it seems like the same number of enemies were in a given level... But in the RPGs, "one" enemy usually represents 3-5 enemies, and they take a while to beat, and that's why those games ended up being a good mix of exploration and fighting. In SPM, one enemy just represents one enemy, and it takes all of two hits and two seconds to kill, which wasn't satisfying to me.
It really felt like the game was--how do I explain it? I guess I can paraphrase Link's Awakening: Platforming RPG in name only, for it is neither. An RPG has much more of an emphasis on fighting than this, and a platformer has much less of an emphasis on exploration, so rather than being a fusion of the two genres, it's more like a point-and-click adventure that just happens to have a platformer interface, occasional enemies to dispatch with no trouble, and bosses who are awesome but not frequent enough.

Swordian

Finn said:
I think I collected four disks. Unfortunately, to acquire some of them you need
Tippi (who can uncover hidden blocks). But once you beat the game, you can no longer use Tippi's skill considering she's chilling with Bleck somewhere. Major suckage.

I'm really just having trouble finding some ingredients for a few recipes.

Well,
just use the Tippi replacement. Also, for ingredients you can hit the tiny shops scattered across the different levels.

Finn

Swordian said:
Well,
just use the Tippi replacement. Also, for ingredients you can hit the tiny shops scattered across the different levels.
There's
a Tippi replacement?
Please explain.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
3-4 was really fun. I hated 3-3 though.

I agree with Shane's assessment on EGM live. I like--but not love-- it.

Damn, this game is so addictive, I love the 2D-3D transitions, and I hope more platformers try and incorporate this, there could be so many possibilities!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mejilan said:
Pretty damn enjoyable and satisfying for a first gen Wii game. Lordy knows that just about every other recent system imaginable could have used a solid RPG-ish title not even half a year after the console's launching. (Some systems, older yet, are still waiting!)
Come now, Mej. You know as well as I do that SPM is a Gamecube title retrofitted for the Wii. It should be pretty obvious as to why we have nothing like this on the other machines. At least 360 received something like Blue Dragon in just over a year...

Nintendo's approach to this generation has allowed them to simply continue Gamecube development on the Wii.

BTW, I am enjoying the game more. I've come to accept that it is not a platformer and am finding it to be quite a fun little romp. Besides, I just got my Mario fix this past weekend with Super Mario World - Return to Dinosaur Land, which is an INCREDIBLE Mario World hack with level design Nintendo would be proud of. A friend and I played through the whole thing and it was an absolute blast. One of the best hacks I've ever played. The level designs absolutely crush those in New Super Mario Bros. to boot!

ivysaur12

Banned
After getting over the fact that it's NOT a platformer, I'm actually enjoying the game a lot more. The 3D controls take a dive from only using the D-Pad, yes, but everything else is really good. I just beat the 3rd Chapter, which was hillarious. There are some spotty moments, yes, but its best moments are definately the puzzles. I'm not really liking Chapter 4-3 so far, though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
dark10x said:
Come now, Mej. You know as well as I do that SPM is a Gamecube title retrofitted for the Wii. It should be pretty obvious as to why we have nothing like this on the other machines. At least 360 received something like Blue Dragon in just over a year...

Nintendo's approach to this generation has allowed them to simply continue Gamecube development on the Wii.

BTW, I am enjoying the game more. I've come to accept that it is not a platformer and am finding it to be quite a fun little romp.

For truth. So is Fire Emblem, but to be quite honest, a game like Paper Mario shines due to its artstyle moreso than any technical achievement. And at the end of the day, we're being provided with content. I'm not all that worried about how or why, just that it's there, and it's solid.

You bring up Blue Dragon, but that's a bit disingenuous, to say the least, since clearly it isn't available here in the west. I'll probably have my X360 for almost 2 years before the damn game hits, whereas Paper Mario came out a few months after launch, Fire Emblem is due, what, 9-10 months after launch?

The only thing on the X360 that had a chance at satisfying this particular itch is Enchanted Arms, which I utterly loathe.

I'm thrilled, however, to hear that you've started to enjoy the game somewhat. Chapter 7 is freakin' amazing. Loved it tons.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I played it for about 20 minutes and was hit by a really quick realisation that I just want the real mario game to release :(

Swordian

The Pit of 100 Trials in Flipside isn't as hard as I thought. I started a new file and was able to access the Pit after completing chapter 2. I went in with a max HP of 25, defeated very enemy, and completed the Pit with a max HP of 40.

RaidenZR

Has anyone actually completed the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials? I ran through to the end and then a pipe kicked me out. Turns out you have to do it again and then you face the boss encounter there.

So, has anyone attempted the second leg? I saved and continued on with the adventure after the trip-A. I'm just wondering if it resets on you (like, do you have to do trip-B immediately) or can you go back to it like I'm planning on?

Swordian

RaidenZR said:
Has anyone actually completed the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials? I ran through to the end and then a pipe kicked me out. Turns out you have to do it again and then you face the boss encounter there.

So, has anyone attempted the second leg? I saved and continued on with the adventure after the trip-A. I'm just wondering if it resets on you (like, do you have to do trip-B immediately) or can you go back to it like I'm planning on?

You can go back to it whenever you want.

Gigglepoo said:
Interesting interview. I really appreciate how the game mocks the player throughout. Pretty funny stuff.

And Birdo is a guy! It says so in the SMB2 instruction manual. Just a confused male.

That reminds me! You can get a card for Watt, which makes the goof of calling her male (which already happened once in Paper Mario). She's supposed to be female, to my knowledge.

Gigglepoo

Kulock said:
That reminds me! You can get a card for Watt, which makes the goof of calling her male (which already happened once in Paper Mario). She's supposed to be female, to my knowledge.

I don't have my SMB2 instruction manual handy, but luckily Wiki is able to come through in the clutch:

Although Nintendo of America classifies Birdo as female and some classify it as transgendered, the first edition game manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 describes Birdo as follows: "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called 'Birdetta."

Subsequent printings of the game manual delete the Birdetta sentence but retains the first description.

In Japan, Birdo is known as "Catherine" and purportedly enjoys being called "Cathy". However, the Birdo character has always been male in the original Japanese versions

Dartastic

I'm probably like, 8 years too late to this, but... What's my motto in life? My main purpose? Apparently, it's to...

cimg4807tt1.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol THE LOOK ON MARIO'S FACE IS PRICELESSSSS

Dartastic

One thing that this game is really punctuating for me is how crappy the Wii's D-Pad is. It's just WAY too small. I honestly had to stop playing because my thumb hurt from pressing down on that stupid thing. Sad...

AniHawk

About to start Chapter 7. Character switching really sucks now. I propose this for the next game. Either:

1. Do character swapping on the fly
2. Have different character segments playable throughout the game (like Paper Mario 2, but more fleshed out)
3. Give Mario all the ****ing powers everyone else has
(cape for floating, firepower instead of Bowser breath, and ****ing jumping because it's ****ing Mario)
4. Let EVERYONE flip the damn game into 3D.

sammy

AniHawk said:
4. Let EVERYONE flip the damn game into 3D.

that's my only real complaint so far ------ since i'm extremely OCD in every environment checking the 3d secrets - it seemed silly at first that it wasn't a universal ability, and sometimes i just want to run around as bowser.

i have no issues with character/pixl switching -- the shortcut works fast enough.

other than that, the game is extremely awesome -- i haven't enjoyed a game like this since Colossus. Every area is a completely new surprise i could've never predicted ..... i'm almost done with it, but gonna' take some time to soak in all the secrets before i finish.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm not finished yet, but, the
turn based battle
was all kinds of awesome. That and Dimentio is by far the coolest character in the mario universe. He is one of my favorite characters ever now.

Oldschoolgamer said:
I'm not finished yet, but, the
turn based battle
was all kinds of awesome. That and Dimentio is by far the coolest character in the mario universe. He is one of my favorite characters ever now.

Did anyone else get a chick-vibe from Dimentio? I honestly thought it was a girl until you just said "he".

Top Bottom