• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

Raw64life

Just beat it in pretty much exactly 20 hours. It was probably because I had both Pit of 100 Trials done already, but the last couple of bosses seemed really easy. All the bosses in the game were easy actually, but I figured they'd turn up the difficulty atleast a little bit for the final bosses. I remember the SPM2 boss being the biggest pain in the ass. I liked the ending. Overall I'd give the game an 8.5 I guess.

alex1893

Inspirius said:
For the europeans amongst us (myself included natch), I spotted earlier that SPM is now listed on gameplay.

See here

It's £29.99 and has a release date of 27 July (2007!). Obviously the date maybe a guess, so don't get your hopes up too much.
would be nice if it's true.

Being a friday would fit too, they could do it like Excite Truck / Excitebike and release SPM / Paper Mario (VC) together.

MiamiWesker said:
Hold on
thats what the other two chapters are in level 6, they actually put you through all 100 guys
.. ugh... thank god most of it is optional.

I don't know how far you are, but don't try to guess too far ahead unless you've beat the game. World 6 is very transient.

And as for all the hours estimates, I mean I did have it paused for a couple of minutes now and then, and took my sweet time through a few parts, but 30 hours is pretty spot on for doing every major challenge in the game. I could've done some of it faster, I suppose, but it's a game, not a job.

I don't really think I have anything left, other than doing the recipes and collecting cards. Oh, and the maps, which just point to items.

I must be in the 18 hour range, I just got the last Pure Heart.

Overall, very enjoyable. I ran right through world 5 or 6 before checking this topic, and didn't really have any of the complaints you guys did (I did peek at a FAQ once or twice). World 7 was some major cockbutt, though.

Definitely worth the price of admission.

What's this hamster wheel shit? I haven't come across that.

PantherLotus said:
I don't suppose it's too late for my impressions? Some of you won't want to hear it.

I'd like to see.

kzkb1

Banned
I'm on level 2-2 and it's pretty much a pile. "Shallow" is the key word here, which I guess shouldn't be that surprising seeing as how it's a modern Nintendo game and all.

Did we ever wind up getting a high res version of this?

mario8vv.jpg

Narag

kzkb1 said:
I'm on level 2-2 and it's pretty much a pile. "Shallow" is the key word here, which I guess shouldn't be that surprising seeing as how it's a modern Nintendo game and all.

I felt exactly the same at this point. World 3 kept me going, World 4 Boss was fun enough to push on, and finally the story came into its own imo and I enjoyed the latter half of the game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think it really depends on what one went in expecting. For me, there was far too much time spent not actually playing the game. And that pissed me off. Badly. Like, enough to put it down after about 10 hours or so.

In the same breath, it is a wonderfully funny and charming game, with a beautiful art style, nice crisp graphics and an interesting game-play dynamic. The first level -- you know, when I actually got to start platforming?? -- was freaking awesome. That dragon thing really had me believing that this would fully deliver.

Sadly, that was about the height of it for me. Yeah yeah, ****ing shoot me if I don't like the game I started the thread about, but Jesus. I'll just list out my pros and cons, knowing I'll probably get attacked for actually having cons. Oh well. Here goes:

PROS
Art Style - Outside of some of the average-looking townspeople (some of them were quite awesome though) this game is simply beautiful. I love the look of it. The world just drips style.
Graphics - very, very nice. Crisp. Bright. Plays to the Wii's strengths.
Music - The remixes. Awesome!
Puzzles - Some very rewarding puzzles without being too frustrating. The 3D mechanic is awesome and fun. The different powerups to access different levels are really fun too.
Some funny dialogue - Genuinely funny moments throughout the game. But. (read below)

CONS
Entirely too much text - Alright guys. I'm an RPG guy. Everybody knows it. Ok, maybe not obscure-anime RPG guy, but I play every FF and every DQ, and I love ARPGs and SRPGs as well. And their text is relevant. It tells a story. AND IT DOESN"T HAVE THIS GRATING TEXT BEEPING SOUND AS IT SCROLLS. AND IT CAN BE SKIPPED. AAAGGHHH! I saw people get slammed for this criticism earlier in the thread--but they were freaking right. It's a god damned mario game. Tell your ****ing joke and let me play.

The Town -- Uh...let me get this straight. I'm in the town and I have to save the town, but to save the town I have to find the way out of the town. Once I find the way out of the town and *highlight of the game* actually get to play, I beat that level. And then I return to the same town and look for the place to prove that I just beat that level. And then I have to look for the next level?? What? And don't get me started on all their clever "hiding" places that they put entrances and shit to different things. Some will criticize me for not being able to handle a hard game. I guess you got me there.

The Platforming -- What little there is, is good. But it's not platforming, and I can only blame myself into thinking that it would be. My fault. My bad. I am to blame. I took one or two quotes out of context and took them way too close to heart. This game has little-to-no platforming. At all. You literally walk around solving puzzles and look for the exit. That's not fun to me, sorry guys.

================

Overall, I have to be honest--I'm disappointed. I walked into this game a bit naive, I'll admit. I expected an RPG-Platformer. I got neither an RPG OR a Platformer. Basically, it's a dialogue-heavy puzzler where you have to walk around to find the puzzles, all set in a very stylized and bright colorful world. Just not for me, really...although I can definitely see how it might appeal to some and they would claim that it is the second coming of whatever (btw those weren't my words in the thread title).

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to ask if it's worth playing past lvl 4. I just beat the stupid hamster wheel (which was kinda the nail in the coffin for how I think of this game), but I'm not saying it can't be salvaged. Should I bother finishing this game? Is there more actual playing involved?

Thanks to all that contributed to this wonderful thread.
~PL~

dfi

Good post. SPM has been hit or miss for me as well. I think the graphics are pretty good, but like you said, way too much text.

The level designs vary quite a bit for me. I enjoyed chapters 1 and 3, but didn't like chapters 2 and 4. I'm currently in chapter 5 and so far it has been pretty good.

I like the puzzle aspects of the game and when its done right, its very enjoyable, but some portions are just really tedious and boring.

I'm far enough that I'll probably finish out the game. Its a fun solid game, but its far from perfect.

PantherLotus said:
Overall, I have to be honest--I'm disappointed. I walked into this game a bit naive, I'll admit. I expected an RPG-Platformer. I got neither an RPG OR a Platformer. Basically, it's a dialogue-heavy puzzler where you have to walk around to find the puzzles, all set in a very stylized and bright colorful world. Just not for me, really...although I can definitely see how it might appeal to some and they would claim that it is the second coming of whatever (btw those weren't my words in the thread title).

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to ask if it's worth playing past lvl 4. I just beat the stupid hamster wheel (which was kinda the nail in the coffin for how I think of this game), but I'm not saying it can't be salvaged. Should I bother finishing this game? Is there more actual playing involved?

Thanks to all that contributed to this wonderful thread.
~PL~

stewacide

I still have the last level to complete (ran out of HP for the first time near the end of World 8, so now I have to slog my way back through again), but I have two main gripes with this game (otherwise it's great):

- The bosses are way too eas(y), even without using any items.
- The limited number of items you can carry (WHY!?!) means attack items are almost never used or even picked up when they appear (better just to carry health-restoreing items in your limited inventory)

edit -- also more action-platforming sections would be nice to break up the puzzle solving: the controls are extremely tight (as if usual for a 2D Mario game), but they're put to too little use

Ugh, I'm stuck. World 5 (I think. It's the one with the brahs.)

Hey look, three blocks all lined up in a row! It seems like a mechanism of some sort!

I got through the first one by randomly hitting them, but the second "puzzle" is driving me crazy. Random hitting ain't workin'.

So yeah, someone post the painfully obvious solution so I can feel stupid.

JoeMartin

blame space said:

Hey look, three blocks all lined up in a row! It seems like a mechanism of some sort!

I got through the first one by randomly hitting them, but the second "puzzle" is driving me crazy. Random hitting ain't workin'.

Backtrack.

AniHawk

blame space said:

Go back to one of the guys in the house. He'll tell you the order you need

AniHawk said:
Go back to one of the guys in the house. He'll tell you the order you need

And get some paper and a pen or pencil ready. Easily the most annoying part of the game, but thankfully you only ever have to do it or anything like it once.

really like the bonk tribute of chapter 5, think it is a rather obvious inspiration, and a lot of the power-ups and badges excuse me pixels remind me of something straight out of a bonk game.

Kulock said:
And as for all the hours estimates, I mean I did have it paused for a couple of minutes now and then, and took my sweet time through a few parts, but 30 hours is pretty spot on for doing every major challenge in the game. I could've done some of it faster, I suppose, but it's a game, not a job.

I don't really think I have anything left, other than doing the recipes and collecting cards. Oh, and the maps, which just point to items.

this is my biggest disappointment, i have no motivation to complete the side quests and collections this time around, while in thousand year door i was more than happy to cook, complete the beastiary, fetch, whateva

sammy

finished it last night --- and i'm sad it's over... i really haven't enjoyed a game so much in a while.

i guess i have some of the complaints many of you guys had --- but the game actually played me and i got up to write down those block combinations :lol ... i'll admit i was laughing --- even at the damn hamster wheel, and their constant mockery of how terrible the text user-interface is, making you type 'please' in ....... yes, i found it all funny. every bit as funny as chapter 3, which was all kinds of awesome.

i'll be playing through it again, the ending was nice -- a game like that doesn't come along so often - it felt as crazy and abstract as the first mario games must have felt like to people so long ago.

ruffles

Question about Tippi (spoiler):

What exactly happened to her? Why did her she disappear in her human form? I know she was transformed into a Pixil to keep her alive.

joesmokey

Thought I'd voice my impression of the game as well.

I've been playing off and on, and am at Chapter 4-3 now, but I am not really enjoying what's come out of it so far. Like most others, I agree there is way too much text. It wouldn't be bad if the supporting cast or villains were entertaining, but they're not at all. I don't really like the Pixls, and the only character that has redeeming text so far is
Bowser. His is pretty funny.
The rest is just so annoying that I am basically mashing 2 to get past it all.

Another major complaint I have is the camera angle. It's the worst camera I've ever seen in a "platformer". Half the time you need to take leaps of faith, only to discover that there is ground 2 feet below you, but there's no way to get the camera to pan down to see it. This is particularly frustrating in the Space level. I just can't stand it. Not being able to pan the camera upwards either is incredibly annoying and often results in frustrating damage from an unseen enemy.

Item dropping. The inventory space I'm fine with, I don't think you really need more bag space than what they give you. However, having to drop an item when picking up a new one is one of the most frustrating things in the world, as when you drop it you almost ALWAYS pick it up instantly again. The system is incredibly stupid, as there's no way to guarantee you won't be in the way of an item when you try and get rid of it. Because of this I often carry 1 less than the max item so that I don't have this stupid problem anymore.

Art style. I don't know, I'm really just not digging it. Maybe because I'm playing on an HDTV and there's so much flicker from the lines when the camera pans back and forth, but I don't think it's that great.

As touched on before, dialogue is pretty painful to me, especially given how much they have in it. So far the villains are uninteresting and not very funny
Again, save for Bowser and his crew.
The game is fairly easy overall, with the only real difficulty being in the terrible camera angle and not knowing if you have ground below you.

For some reason I keep coming back to the game though trying to beat it, only to end up frustrated and fed up after an hour's worth of playing. Does the game get "more fun" beyond Chapter 4, or is it more of the same old? Do issues like the camera become less of a problem after Chapter 4, or still as annoying? I really want to beat the game just to be done with it and get it out of the way, but it's been a semi-enjoyable process tainted by a lot of faults. Some of the platforming elements and 3D flipping are pretty fun, but the cons are just becoming too much at this point.

Tarazet

I just got my Wii today and the first thing I did was play this game up to the end of world 2. So far, I'm very disappointed, because it's too easy and not much fun. I feel the same way, coming off of TTYD which is one of my all-time favorite games, as I did when playing M&L: PiT coming off of M&L SS. Too much recycling, too many influences at work, not cohesive and not a satisfying organic whole.

Finished it today, about 16.5 hours. I'd say it's a solid 8, I like a lot of it, but there are a lot of superfluous things (most items, the town, some backtracking fetch quests) that add little to nothing do little but waste time. Some of the levels are great, it definitely peaks in the early-middle levels, I thought the later worlds lacked a bit of inspiration.

Overall though, I enjoyed it quite a bit and I think the dialogue while a bit extensive was well written. I'd recommend it.

Just beat it about an hour ago. I definitely starts off slow, and I seem to remember Paper Mario being harder and the battle system being much, much different.

That said, I rather liked it. I was tedious at times, but once I realized what the game was, I appreciated it. It is a puzzler in disguise: "What do I do next in order to proceed?"

I was impressed by the use of the Wii's capabilities; the graphics are very nice, and I liked the use of the pointer and of the limited button set up. I also liked the quick menu.

I was a little bored at times, especially when I had to go around looking for the heart pillars. What a mistake, IS. Don't do that shit again. I don't like having to pay increasing amounts of money to a fortune-teller just so I can go to the next stage. Make Tippi's advice just as good, or better, than hers. Tippi's advice was generally useless.

The bosses were easy. Too easy. I beat Dementio with 1 health the entire battle. O'Chunks... only time he was difficult was when he was O'Cabbage, and even then, he lacked the health to pose a threat. Mimi I liked as a boss.

The final fights were alright. Luigi is awesome. <3

I am looking forward to the Flip/Flopside 100 stage pits, and the 100 Sammar Guy fight. I hear the end boss(es) of the Flopside pit are tough; excellent.

Oh, and I was pissed that I had to resort to a guide several times. :/ Some of the stages were not set up well. I did generally approve of the last stages.

As to the complaint of the 3D world's "barrenness" I saw earlier: I thought it was appropriate. It's supposed to be the 2D world from a 3D perspective. In fact, I'm glad. I would not want to deal with a bunch of 3D enemies and obstacles with a limited time gauge and a fixed camera.

joesmokey

Finally beat the game. Overall it did get better after Chapter 4, there were some fun moments in the game. I wish there was more character switching involved with the 4 characters to make things more complex or at least more interesting. My original remarks stand, and I think my main complaint with this game is that it is just entirely too easy.

Overall I'd probably give it about a 7. Despite the problems with it, it can be pretty fun at times, though the concepts introduced in the game just don't feel utilized enough. My game clock is 20 hours and 6 minutes, so a good length for what it is (haven't done either pit yet). Hopefully they change the graphic style in the next game, I just couldn't get into it.

I'm on the last level. I've somewhat given up, destined to pop it in on some rainy day and finish it off reluctantly.

The game just wasn't that fun. It looked great, it sounded great, and for a few moments in the game that 2D-3D mechanic really blew me away.....but it had entirely too much text and it was entirely too easy. I guess I just feel as if the game wasn't what it could have been.

The game should have cut out 80% of the story, all of flipside/flopside, most of the items and half the pixl's and just stuck with a level-by-level progression. Even if it became an 8-9 hour game compared to 15, it would have cut to the chace. The story doesn't do it for me, maybe I'm too old? I found some parts histerical, but some parts plain boring and lame. I was confused why in that one level it made me continually fight those dudes in the same room, or why I had to run in the white world for so long before anything happened. I also HATED walking all the way to flopside to find the heart pillar and then all the way pack- actually, I hated finding any heart pillars.

I'd give this game about a 7 (so far considering I'm on the last level). It has its genuinely great moments, but a lot of it feels like chugging through seaweed. I really didn't like any of the Paper Mario games, or the Mario and Luigi games. Nintendo give Mario RPG back to Square, they were the only ones who ever got it right.

After about 15 hours of play, I think I may have just hit a game ending glitch in chapter 7-3. I'm at the top of the cloud stairs where you have to feed the baby cloud a red apple. I don't have a red apple, and when I go back to the tree where the red apples are supposed to be they aren't there. I've tried restarting the game from my last save and restarting the chapter, but neither one worked.

Has anyone else run into this before? Is there any other place to get red apples? If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be very welcome. It looks like I may be totally screwed.

Jon of the Wired said:
After about 15 hours of play, I think I may have just hit a game ending glitch in chapter 7-3. I'm at the top of the cloud stairs where you have to feed the baby cloud a red apple. I don't have a red apple, and when I go back to the tree where the red apples are supposed to be they aren't there. I've tried restarting the game from my last save and restarting the chapter, but neither one worked.

Has anyone else run into this before? Is there any other place to get red apples? If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be very welcome. It looks like I may be totally screwed.

don't bother, it sucks from here on out.

Zoe

My gripes with the game are pretty much the same as everybody else's. I really loved TTYD, but I completed this game just to finish it--not because I actually cared about the rest of the game.

However, the thing that bugged me the most is I'm just getting tired of the "paper" gimmick. Maybe if they did a graphical update (the only texture effect I noticed was
Mimi's crumpled face
) it might breathe some life into the concept, but as it is, I prefered the gimmicks of TTYD.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So yeah, I finally got a wii on Sunday, and have been playing Super Paper Mario as my first Wii title...

I just got Carrie, and am probably going to kick some Francis ass soon.

This game is awesome. Such a fresh mixture of genres, it really comes off as quite a unique experience that doesn't fit into any of the traditional categorizations of games.

it's also incredibly hilarious, and a blast to play.

*goes back to SPM*

Victrix

*beard*
Dear Nintendo:

My girlfriend plays this game.

She takes her time, she has currently just reached the third world. Occasionally, she imperiously thrusts the controller at me and demands, variably, 'HELP', 'SPIKES', 'LAVA', 'PIT', or similar

This is cute

With only occasional assistance from me (the smelly, unshowered hardcore gamer, as Kaplan refers to me), she is progressing through the game at a 'normal' pace for a 'casual' gamer.

This is fine

However, as I am generally in or near the room while she is playing, I get to listen to the cute music (quite good), the amusing bonks and bops as she hops around, and occasionally the adorable Mario saying 'YES!'

This is ok

But, for some godforsaken reason, you have chosen to put in not one, but TWO unbelievably irritating low health noises. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP should my beleaguered girlfriend get to low health, and BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP should she get to very low health. And, being a non-smelly, casual gamer, she often does. For extended periods of time.

This is so ****ing annoying I want to kill you

Love, your smelly hardcore fan

GaimeGuy

:D

Bowser has the best lines in this game.

"Listen, babbling is not gonna save you. You need stomping. And I'm a stompologist."

GaimeGuy

I'd just like to say that Mr. L is ****ing awesome. :D

It better be one of luigi's alternate costumes in Brawl

Ashodin

Just wanted to let you guys know this game is so awesome.

Text? Who gives a ****. Read it and weep if you really are crying over it.

Platforming? Just enough to make it mesh with the Paper Mario style. I like.

Story? Interesting. The segments in between which are like memories (with the awesome oriental music) really let you know how good the storytelling is.

Arcadey fun? HELL YES.

The Arcade is where I just spent literally 30 minutes on one game alone.

This is how far I got on the Gold Card game, the one with the hammer:

spm1.jpg

I also recorded a little video of me getting there at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8J0xlqDLds (but it's not up yet.)

WOO!

_RT_

Jon of the Wired said:

Please tell me you found a solution to this......
I am having the EXACT same problem.

Please.....

GaimeGuy

_RT_ said:
Please tell me you found a solution to this......
I am having the EXACT same problem.

Please.....
Go two screens away (so exit the red apple room and exit the next room, then go all the way back to the apple room), to refresh the items.

ok im stuck in 5-2 i fire and water tablets. it says online o chunks will come out and fight me but i go to the right screen and he doesnt come out. not sure what im missing or havent done so right now im stuck. i have the following pixls: Thoreau, Boomer, Slim, Thudley, Carrie, Fleep, Barry and Dashell

any ideas?

Top Bottom