• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Second Coming of Christ (aka Super Paper Mario) Thread of Wonder and Joy

AniHawk

bigmakstudios said:
How do I get to the 2-1 remake? I saw an inaccessible door in chapter 2-1, but I don't know how to... access it. >_>

2luqd5k.gif

"It's a secret."

AniHawk said:
1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 9
2. Super Paper Mario - 8.5
3. Paper Mario - 8.3
4. Super Mario RPG - 7.8- b-b-b-but why?!
5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - 7
6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 5.5

I generally agree with your wii scores though, I need to get Excite Truck.

I just beat the game, 28 hours ( I did a lot of the side quests), very good game but just a step below being excellent. Of course the inconsistent level design is mostly to blame.

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 9
2. Super Paper Mario - 8.5
3. Paper Mario - 8.3
4. Super Mario RPG - 7.8
5. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - 7
6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 5.5

I usually agree with you, but ****ing ugh.

It really goes:

Paper Mario-9.999999 (my favorite N64 game)
Paper Mario: TTYD: 9
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga-9
Super Paper Mario-8.5
Super Mario RPG-8.5
Partners in Time-7

AniHawk

BrandNew said:
I usually agree with you, but ****ing ugh.

It really goes:

Paper Mario-9.999999 (my favorite N64 game)
Paper Mario: TTYD: 9
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga-9
Super Paper Mario-8.5
Super Mario RPG-8.5
Partners in Time-7
Yeah except the Mario & Luigi games were pretty awful.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BrandNew said:
Superstar Saga was great, poopface. Partners in Time was sucky, but SS was so much fun–one of my most played GBA games ever. What sucked about them?

I don't know about Anihawk but I never found most of the jokes funny in Mario and Luigi, I liked Fawful but thats about it. Still I wouldn't have put the Mario and Luigi games that low, they were still some fun.

AniHawk

grandjedi6 said:
I don't know about Anihawk but I never found most of the jokes funny in Mario and Luigi, I liked Fawful but thats about it. Still I wouldn't have put the Mario and Luigi games that low, they were still some fun.

Yeah. I didn't find the funny in Mario & Luigi. Kinda the same with Super Paper Mario, really. Except SPM actually had level design and gameplay that didn't suck ass.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't care how you feel about AlphaDreams' take on the Mario RPG series, but Superstar Saga CRUSHED Partners in Time.

grandjedi6

AniHawk said:
Yeah. I didn't find the funny in Mario & Luigi. Kinda the same with Super Paper Mario, really. Except SPM actually had level design and gameplay that didn't suck ass.

The only real positive the Mario and Luigi games have over the Paper Mario games is that they don't have any horribly annoying time wasters like the subsequent train rides in Paper Mario:TTYD or the "hamster Wheel" in Super paper Mario

AniHawk

Mejilan said:
I don't care how you feel about AlphaDreams' take on the Mario RPG series, but Superstar Saga CRUSHED Partners in Time.

I think the lack of a team is what hurt Mario & Luigi. There was no variation and it got old fast. With the Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario games, you have other characters and abilities. With Mario & Luigi, you're stuck with the same two guys for the entire 20 hours. I didn't actually finish Partners in Time, but I thought some of the items were a lot of fun. The problem was that each enemy had way too much ****ing HP. In that aspect it was even worse than the first game. I'm also a sucker for time travel in video games, which may be the reason for my preference too.

grandjedi6 said:
I find this interesting that you'd say that, as I don't find the humor in any of the games funny. I always just assumed it was a difference in style, but you didn't like that one's humor either? What did you find funny in the other games (Besides Francis, which is obvious)?

Mejilan

PM or PM2 are definitely my favorites. PM2 for the gameplay and humor, PM1 for the setting, story, and humor (less than PM2). PM2 was also held back by some unnecessary backtracking and fluff. Both are VERY close.

I dug SMRPG the very first time, and M&L1 was amusing enough to see me through completion, even though it was a pale shadow of the PM games. M&L2, however, bored me to tears and I don't think I ever even got past the 6 hour mark, I'm ashamed to admit.

grandjedi6

typhonsentra said:
I find this interesting that you'd say that, as I don't find the humor in any of the games funny. I always just assumed it was a difference in style, but you didn't like that one's humor either? What did you find funny in the other games (Besides Francis, which is obvious)?

None of them are really "Haha" funny but the Paper Mario games are more about references and inside jokes.

elostyle said:
Except for the fact that it doesn't.

Blargh, bullsheet. Paper Mario had the best story (lol mario story lol), partners, special moves, locations and moves than Thousand Year Door. TTYD was amazing, but the backtracking and the party members aren't as cool as the N64 versions. The only chapters that really, truly shined were the Rawk Hawk chapter and the one where you're in that creepy twon where the villagers are turned to pigs. The original Paper Mario had effing fantastic locations, like:

Mushroom Castle Town
Turtle Fortress thing
Sand Ruins
Boo Mansion
Yoshi's Island-type area
Awesome Ice area
and then let's not forget the best level ever:

Shyguy Toybox :eek:

Plus, Bowser as the main villain is still better than anything else done in a Mario RPG.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You know, after playing SPM, I don't know what I was expecting out of this game, really.

grandjedi6

Oblivion said:
You know, after playing SPM, I don't know what I was expecting out of this game, really.

You were probably expecting one of two things:

A good IS game with good inside references and a focus off the gameplay

or.....

New New Super Mario Bros.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
:lol :lol :lol

I'm sure I'm super late but :lol Theres a
crow eating reference in the trial of 100 or whatever.

ruffles

Is anyone else using Bowser just so that one can see what his dialog says in the story related scenes? His lines are hilarious.

farnham

Banned
Mejilan said:
nah.. partners in time was great... probably the best use of the dual screens yet..

stewacide

I'm a little overwhelmed/confused at this point by the item collecting/holding and 'card' elements of the game. About 1/2 way through world 3, and I keep being asked to drop items and store items whose purpose I don't at all understand. Is all this RPG stuff explained later?

p.s. the "waggle" mini-games in the arcade are fantastic: would have been very solid inclusions in WW:SM.

Ravager61

stewacide said:
I'm a little overwhelmed/confused at this point by the item collecting/holding and 'card' elements of the game. About 1/2 way through world 3, and I keep being asked to drop items and store items whose purpose I don't at all understand. Is all this RPG stuff explained later?

If you have a creatures card, you do more damage to to that creature. Also, most items tell you what they do. Some heal HP, some damage enemies, etc

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
stewacide said:

p.s. the "waggle" mini-games in the arcade are fantastic: would have been very solid inclusions in WW:SM.

The
tilt mini-game
is by far my favorite. It's so simple yet so damn fun.

11 hours in, loving it so far...

But what the **** was Chapter 6?

And how are some of you taking 20+ hours with this? Is there a lot to do after you get all the Pure Hearts?

AniHawk

AdmiralViscen said:

And how are some of you taking 20+ hours with this? Is there a lot to do after you get all the Pure Hearts?

Between worlds 7 and 8 I did Merlee's fetch quest and some exploring in general.

Finn

AdmiralViscen said:
I've going on my 35th hour and I beat the game around 19 hours. I've been trying to complete the recipes and just wandering around Flip and Flopside. There are quite a few secrets to uncover. And when you get bored, the arcade is a great time waster.

stewacide

BorkBork said:
The
tilt mini-game
is by far my favorite. It's so simple yet so damn fun.

I was a bit tipsy last night, and I got so into the flow w/ that I was in video-game nirvana :D

I didn't set the high score but I'll be sure to some day. Sometimes even simple motion control like that can be a *blast*

The
shooting gallery
one also worked really well: great controls.

AdmiralViscen said:

I would spend hours in the town after each chapter. I would always try to do better in the arcades, do some recipes, look for secrets, get cards, etc.

Belfast

The M&L games are an exercise in bad interface design. Not only did you have to switch between the two brothers constantly, but then you had to switch between their powers and execute them. PiT added the little brats to the mix, too.

stewacide

Quick question:

Do I *really* have to get 1000 coins for the old guy in space? That seems like a lot of work!

Just a simple yes/no would be good: if there's a 'smarter'/cheaper way I don't want to ruin it.

JSnake

stewacide said:
Quick question:

Do I *really* have to get 1000 coins for the old guy in space? That seems like a lot of work!

Just a simple yes/no would be good: if there's a 'smarter'/cheaper way I don't want to ruin it.

No.

I'd like to chime in and briefly say how great this game is. Pathetically, I bought the other two Paper Mario games thinking they looked cool, and that the more interactive approach to the RPG genre would keep me awake. It didn't happen. I might've fallen asleep more slowly than I do with, say, a FF game, but I got nowhere in either one. I'm about halfway through this one now, and loving every minute (except the annoying character/pixl switching. Minus button next time, guys! We can see the controls from the menu).

Third time's the charm!

The 100 Sammer Guy Tournament (
the full version
) was a bit of a bore, but sometimes their pre-and post-fight chatter (and the things Tippy would say about them) were pretty funny. I about died when I hit the 39th Gate:

YARRRRRRRRRRRR!

Me name be Software Pirate,
barnacle-booty'd scourge
of the 39th gate!

I be plunderin' yer bits an' yer
bytes and downloadin' 'em
into me britches!

Me treasure disks'll be full
of cyber-riches after I swipe
yer treasure bump mapping!

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!

-----

Arrrful...

-----

Yarrr, I be washed up...

Sunk by me unquenchable
lust for digibooty...

-----

Tippi:
That's Software Pirate, one
of King Sammer's legendary
Sammer Guys...

Don't be alarmed if you
don't understand him...
Most people can't...

I was also blown away at the number of references to glitching and sequence breaking, the latter in particular. (There's even a book about it on Francis' bedroom shelf.)

One other thing for those that have beaten the game: check the bar on the lower level of Flipside, it looks like there's a Sound Test option available via InterNedd (I was out of coins, so I couldn't check it out).

Mejilan

stewacide said:
Quick question:

Here's a clue. You CAN'T accrue that much coin. 999 is the limit. :)

Kulock said:
The 100 Sammer Guy Tournament (
the full version
) was a bit of a bore, but sometimes their pre-and post-fight chatter (and the things Tippy would say about them) were pretty funny. I about died when I hit the 39th Gate:

Hold on
thats what the other two chapters are in level 6, they actually put you through all 100 guys
.. ugh... thank god most of it is optional.

Inspirius

For the europeans amongst us (myself included natch), I spotted earlier that SPM is now listed on gameplay.

See here

It's £29.99 and has a release date of 27 July (2007!). Obviously the date maybe a guess, so don't get your hopes up too much.

Top Bottom