• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Zen 3 with Ryzen 5000 reveal thread

my take:
👍 much better perf/watt than Intel
👍 5950XT for $800 is as fast as Intel´s $500+ i9 10900K (gaming, finally)
👎 5950XT for $800 is faster as Intel´s $500+ i9 10900K (cpu apps, no shit 10 vs 16 cores)
👎 weak uplift of 631:544 = %16 in cpu heavy tasks (that´s mainly due the extra Mhz via boost Mode)
👎 RX6000 is a meager 22% faster than a 2080Ti FE in Borderlands 3
👎 5800XT is way overpriced for an 8 core at $450
👎 +59% better performance in 3D apps. is lame as fuck, i guess she forgot that the 5950XT has an 8 extra threads

Disappointing RX6000 performance, if Borderlands 3 4K60 are to be believed. And still no 10core or 20core cpu ...

I'll say it again, just imagine Intel on the 10nm process if they're keeping up with AMD on 7nm. AMD at 5nm will get destroyed as they are finally faster than intel at 14nm.

Last edited:

llien

Vz2mcvA.png

Seems like slower than RTX3080 ? Checked Techpowerup for 4k benchmark of Gears 5 and Borderland 3 with the allegedly slowest 3080 (Zotac Trinity) :pie_thinking: Price will be deciding factor I guess

gears-5-3840-2160.png
borderlands-3-3840-2160.png

Well, between 2080Ti and 3080.
Price/power consumption need to be revealed to figure its competitiveness.

Oh and with a twit like RAM size, lol.

It hints at 3080 being last minute A102 fix, also explains weird 10GB size vs AMD's 16GB.

CuNi

Well, between 2080Ti and 3080.
Price/power consumption need to be revealed to figure its competitiveness.

Oh and with a twit like RAM size, lol.

It hints at 3080 being last minute A102 fix, also explains weird 10GB size vs AMD's 16GB.

Still 10 FPS more on the 3080 with supposed 6GB less VRAM than big Navi just shows that just slapping on more VRAM is not the way to go either.

This may not be relevant but did they mention zen 3 supporting:

PCIE Gen 5.0
USB 4.0 Standard
Wifi6e
DDR5 RAM
Latest Bluetooth version

?

reksveks

It was much better than I expected, I did not expect the $50 increase in the 5600X, a 20% increase is way too much tbh.

But I don't get people complaining about the rest of the prices, Intel did it before and everyone was like "it's the best, so they can charge more" and now AMD is doing the same *shocked* and everyone is crying :pie_thinking:

People complained then as well especially for the last 'lake' gen and they will complain now.

Ascend

The 5950X will be a nice upgrade for my 1700.

As for Big Navi... We don't know if that is the full die. It might be the cut down version. And even then, its performance is actually a lot closer to the 3080 than it would be the 3070 (which is basically a 2080Ti).

I’m want the 5800x hopefully the uk price will be reasonable

actually not too happy about these prices. I paid £160 for the 2600. The 5600 might be £250 but I want 8 core and $450 dollars is a huge increase.

Last edited:

Xyphie

:/
:(

I guess from my understanding zen 4 will support this in late 2022, but intel seems to be ahead on this, and will support this in 2021.

At least PCIe5 and DDR5. We know they'll support 2xUSB4 with their Rembrandt Zen 3 APU, so the desktop Zen 4 will likely have that too. Integrated Wifi and Bluetooth (like on Intel chipsets) seems the most unlikely as they don't have the IP blocks for that internally and would have to license that from someone. You can always get a PCIe/USB Wifi card of course.

notseqi

I wonder if folks already on a 3700X or better should just wait for Socket AM5 and DDR5
Probably. Not sure about AM5 though, could be AM4+ as with AM3 and AM3+ which covered DDR2 and DDR3 RAM.
AMD isn't keen on making you buy a board everytime somebody in the engineering department has a heavy lunch. And I thank them for it.

Leonidas

50% increase in price on 6 Core at launch is insane.

No non-X parts is effectively $100-$120 increase gen/gen for 6 and 8 cores.

Last edited:

martino

Honestly, I re-checked the slides and figures you were commenting on twice.
Are you guys on crazy pills or green reality distortion field is real?
i know you have zero expectation and everything amd do is magic for you but some of us want them to compete more directly with nvidia.

Last edited:

FireFly

I'll say it again, just imagine Intel on the 10nm process if they're keeping up with AMD on 7nm. AMD at 5nm will get destroyed as they are finally faster than intel at 14nm.
The nm figure is largely marketing at this point. The actual density appears to be very similar between AMD 7nm and Intel 10 nm, and Intel could even be slightly ahead. Also note that even with Intel's new 10 nm SF process, they're still not able to match the clocks of their 14nm node.

llien

The actual density appears to be very similar between AMD 7nm and Intel 10 nm, and Intel could even be slightly ahead
AMD is using superior process, but it's not as far ahead as naming imply (7 vs 14nm, yeah, 10xxx are 14nm).
As examination of the chips revealed, AMD's transistors are 22*22nm, while Intel's are 24*24nm.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Console gamer checking in. Are Intel execs sh!tting their pants right now or are they breathing a sigh of relief after today's presentation ?

FireFly

Console gamer checking in. Are Intel execs sh!tting their pants right now or are they breathing a sigh of relief after today's presentation ?
Depends on how good Rocket Lake is. AMD should be fine for non-gaming applications though, since the IPC improvement puts them at Tiger Lake levels and they will have more cores.

llien

Depends on how good Rocket Lake is. AMD should be fine for non-gaming applications though, since the IPC improvement puts them at Tiger Lake levels and they will have more cores.

And even in the best case, Rocket Lake is half a year away.

RNG

So it looks like the 5000 series is only slightly better than a 10900k in gaming? That's pretty disappointing.

Papacheeks

Banned

I think your logic is backwards. AMD has shown that it is able to be faster than intel's parts at a fraction of the clock speed. Nothing is going over 4.7ghz. ANd it shits on anything intel has currently. Imagine the gains on 5nm process even less TDP for larger IPC gains, better latency, and better memory controllers that will be on their third pCIE GEN4 revision chipset wise.

Top Bottom