• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Eurogamer said:
The Order: 1886 isn't a disaster, nor is it a particularly good game. It's a hollow diversion, entertaining but outmoded and caught somewhere between a medium it repeatedly fumbles and one it fails to effectively embrace.

Quelle surprise.

Marvel

could never
5's.
6crkde1.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
That is ridiculous. So if it doesn't fit what you want out of a game, it.needs to critically fail so you can have an abundance of games that you actually do like to choose from? As of all of a sudden there won't be diversity in gaming.
The amount of AAA studios is dwindling and I think some people don't want a type of game they don't enjoy to take up more of a percentage of their efforts. Kinda like how many people were getting upset at the plethora of FPS' coming out for a while.

Somewhat understandable, but I still find it very hard to root for any game to fail. Not to mention its naïve to pretend that a large console war aspect isn't playing a part, too, hidden behind disingenuous 'understandable' justifications.

jett

D-Member

It's shallow fun while it lasts, but The Order feels dated before its time. Despite being the PlayStation 4's new poster child, the latest pretty face for the new generation, Ready at Dawn's truncated epic feels like a product of the year of its inception - a time when the world was in thrall to Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, and before the prescribed dramatics of Quantic Dream turned sour with Beyond: Two Souls. The result is an earnest game, sometimes disarmingly so. There are no levelling weapons, no branching narrative decisions, no litany of unlockables - and there's absolutely no reason to return once it's all over.

The Order: 1886 isn't a disaster, nor is it a particularly good game. It's a hollow diversion, entertaining but outmoded and caught somewhere between a medium it repeatedly fumbles and one it fails to effectively embrace.

aw sheeeit

meanspartan

6.5 aint bad guys calm down jeez

6.5 is on the lower end of average, but I agree for a game coming out of nowhere it would be alright and could even have it's following.

But for a huge divisive exclusive?

Come on. IGN isn't even that tough a reviewer. This is NOT good.

Truant

I don't see the big deal. It's going to be completely mediocre. Not bad, not good. We have room for those games as well.Filler material between the AAA gems.

Gandie

Giantbomb 2/5

There are things here worth checking out, but the action feels half-cocked and you'll be finished with it in an afternoon. I won't pretend to guess at how much $60 means to you, dear reader, but I will say that The Order is a middling experience with a couple of bright flashes that only serve to remind you that this could be a more interesting game if more of its ideas were fully formed. If you're bent on seeing The Order for yourself, you should probably rent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom