• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J4g3r

4CBtk3I.gif

Freeman

Banned
Ok. There we have it. Rejoice.

I don't get how price is a factor to determine the quality of a game. I'll still get this once I get a PS4.

Hasney

QTE fest oh no! I wonder if it's a enjoyable qte like Asura's wrath.

Nah. Asura's wrath was enjoyable because it was batshit insane.

get

It's a shame, from the reviews it sounds like an interesting story. I can't justify full price on something where I'm going to be pressing quicktime event prompts for a majority of the game though. I'll probably get this later down the line.

Looking at the content of some of the reviews, the story pacing even comes under fire. From what I'm reading, it sounds like it was written as a standard 90 minute/2 hour film and then stretched out thin.

Carn82

This will make the future NPDs interesting. I thought the WWS was supposed to be Sony's biggest strength. But they seem to have totally imploded.

Yeah, it's been a dissapointing first year. DriveClub is pretty great though, but it got botched up by the online-issues. But MS isnt faring 'much better'; only company whose exclusives have (always) is Nintendo, heh.

Oh well, I bought the special edition and gonna play it a few times; then it's back to Destiny, GTA5 and Bloodborne :p

Inside Gamer (Netherlands)

8.+

+ Sets the new standard for graphics
+ Balance between gameplay and storytelling
+ Great weapons
+ Game is actually finished
+ No RPG leveling sytem

- Mood-changes in second half didn't really work well
- it's good, but not Uncharted-good.
- A bit too much familiar gameplay

Anything that's a Gears of War clone deserves to be shat on from a great height.
I'm disappointed that Sony have put so much into this dross of a game when they're generally known for trying to innovate.
They're doing a terrible job of selling me on a PS4.

from reading a couple of reviews this is more Asura's Wrath than gears of war

zeromcd73

Now that this has bombed I hope RAD works on Jak 4 next since ND aren't.

Daxter was pretty awesome and would love to see them try a platformer.

entremet

Yup, the naysayers of the whole "cinematic experience" won big here. You can have a good cinematic experience game, but Last of Us or Uncharted is about the most in the cinematic direction you should go perhaps.

Especially a shame considering we know that RAD can make excellent gameplay. Loved Daxter and their GoW games.
Those games are also very solid mechanically. The ND games, which is why I cringe when they are refered as movie games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anything that's a Gears of War clone deserves to be shat on from a great height.
I'm disappointed that Sony have put so much into this dross of a game when they're generally known for trying to innovate.
They're doing a terrible job of selling me on a PS4.
I don't think that's fair at all. Those are exactly the types of games I want to play. :\

I like focused single player games. This one may not be amazing but to condemn those types of games across the board? No way.

What would you prefer instead? There really aren't that many great third person cover shooters out there, if you look back.

noomi

Damn... so uh... guess I'll rent it then or wait for a sale....

Too bad blockbuster doesnt exist anymore, how do I rent now? redbox? gamefly?

The sad state of new IPs that aren't trying to bring anything good to the table. Watch Bloodborne next month. That's how it should be done.

No one knows what new is tbh. It's a word that peo have been using to act like new IPs need to give you the world when they should just be giving you a new idea. Indies bring innovation because they are the only games that can bring creative risks. Bloodborne isn't doing anything new. It's a Demon Soul baby that naturally, would have been the actual sequel.

Wabba

Wow, i really think that reviewers have a thing against Sony Exclusives. Does this game really deserve to get a 4/10? when other games gets a pass? Like sites know about the hype and then give it an awful score. I have not played it but 4/10 is a pretty terrible score when most games lay around 60-70. I seriously doubt that its that bad.

This game is going to make a case for a Origin like refund system on PSN lol I already want my money back.

I would tell you to quit preordering crap like this but I did it myself on accident. Had an order I forgot about =/

Like I've said though it's all good, I'll probably enjoy my short time with it and then sell it in a few days.

Fives and sixes, shit's getting eviscerated, and honestly unsurprisingly so. Seems Sony knew what it was doing with the embargo date.

Apologies to all RAD employees and apologies to all The Order fans but I am glad almost all of the sites are destroying the game with their reviews.

Why?

Because it proves that graphics do not matter. You can have the best looking game to date on every system - and I think The Order is the best looking game EVER (right now) - but if your gameplay is shit, pacing is shit, encounters are shit, lenght is just not there then you will get what you earned. Graphics alone do not make a game. Crysis 1 in 2007 was MUCH MORE than graphics.

Faith in online reviews <--- restored, though it was severely handicapped after Dragon Age 3 getting GOTY's all around.

Hanmik

The verge,,,

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/19/8062515/order-1886-playstation-4-review

Open-world games aren't going anywhere, and I don't want them to, but The Order is proof that there's still a place for linear, cinematic gaming experiences. It may look like a modern game, but The Order is a throwback to some of the best releases from the PlayStation 2: games that didn&#8217;t need a massive world to tell a cool story. It turns out I really missed that.

nib95

Banned
Lol. It's getting battered. Not quite what I would have expected based on the 30+ GAFer impressions, but it could just be DriveClub all over again. Sales of this game should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom