• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In RAD's defense, this is their first original IP, on a 8th gen system.

They created one of this gen's best renderer and associated tools.

It's far from a perfect game, but the sequel will have more emphasis on the non-graphical aspects.

This is a wonderful start from a developer's POV, but customers don't really care about that.

Wishful after today's reviews. we'll see how it sells i guess.

cackhyena

I don't think generalizing cinematic games is a good way to go about it. Gears of War was cinematic and had a great campaign and gameplay.

The gameplay in TLOU was also pretty solid.
Gears was cinematic? I guess I never think of it that way. I enjoyed the shit out of the game play, though. The feedback from shooting enemies has yet to be out done to me in a TPS.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's called the first year.
Nintendo went through it and others as well, there aren't that many consoles that had 10/10 launch games or a particular lineup within the first year that beat the 2nd,3rd or later year.

If you look at the developers it's even clearer.
Killzone,Infamous never set the world on fire by critic standards.
Driveclub seems to be a decent game (I'm not into racer), but the whole fiasco surrounding it, wasn't doing anyone a favor.
RAD developed their first major game, which seems to be underwhelming on alot of fronts.

Is that really a proper excuse when your competitor isn't having the same problem?

KKRT00

Sony tends to get -2 review handicap because they don't strong arm publications and don't have the money to sweeten their relationships with them. Then there's the fact that they tend to be very hands off, and use their IPs as loss leaders. If they're not, all the better.

EA and Ubi have the deep pockets to market a mess of a game and find friendly eyes at the big sites. Not everyone does though. A better context would be they actually get a +2 handicap

Wow...

Alienous

Yes, that's why I said "and consumers reaction to these scores." Because if consumers do penalize RAD for the state Order is seemingly in, and it sells poorly - remember, this is by RAD's own admission a big budget game which has been in development for five years - I don't think Sony's going to be so game to give them a second chance given the extremely low for a AAA game review scores.

That chance belongs to Guerilla Cambridge.

Szadek

It's far from a perfect game, but the sequel will have more emphasis on the non-graphical aspects.

This is a wonderful start from a developer's POV, but customers don't really care about that.
Mostly because it doesn't make the game there are supposed to buy right now for full price any better.

Lulubop

Sony tends to get -2 review handicap because they don't strong arm publications and don't have the money to sweeten their relationships with them. Then there's the fact that they tend to be very hands off, and use their IPs as loss leaders. If they're not, all the better.

EA and Ubi have the deep pockets to market a mess of a game and find friendly eyes at the big sites. Not everyone does though. A better context would be they actually get a +2 handicap

Wow

mcrommert

Banned

This thread is delivering in spades, please continue

entremet

Guys, Shinobi has always been bullish (and usuaally underservedly) about a game's quality. There was a reason why Jett and him shared that yin-yang tag. Anyone blindly following got exactly what they deserve.

That said, he also didn't lie or mean to mislead.

That was Derrick (RIP) actually. Not Jett

vJTk0cZ.gif

I like this haha!... Man I really wanted this game to be more than great graphics, unfortunately it doesn't look to be the case. Hopefully RAD has some DLC or extras planned to add more to the game. I still plan to pick up my copy tomorrow. I'm praying I'm not making a horrible decision.

iNvid02

ea and ubi's marketing beam is super effective against trainer critic and reviewmon

but sony's leer does nothing, its just sitting their wasting its PP. it should be given +2 rare candy's to compensate

I don't know what that's for lol, I'm stoked to pick up my copy tomorrow :)

I never lied about anything related to the game. What was described to me and shown to me impressed me a lot and got me really excited. I'm still excited to play it.

Nah, bruh, your opinion generalizes to the entire gaming population. Eat that fucking crow. Eat it.

/s

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reviews paint the game exactly how it has looked since reveal based on trailers, footage, and previews; extremely simple by-the-numbers gameplay generally stripped wholesale from the previous generation base template with shallow potential for play diversity slotted in between plentiful and lengthy in-engine cutscenes across a relatively short campaign (short due to production budget/time/manpower dedicated towards technology and presentation first and foremost over play content). Some will fucking hate it because mechanically and systemically there's not much going on under the hood. Some will fucking love it because the game systems are serviceable and they're blown away by the presentation.

I probably won't like it much because I rarely do for these kinds of games, but I'll give it a shot anyway sometime down the road because I'm a sucker for pretty things and still want to see what it's all about.

jett

D-Member
I guess we have different opinions, because for me gears of war 3 is still the best cover based shooter I've played and I don't think it's been topped. the mechanics in that game are still flawless and still put most other third person cover based shooters to shame!

I'm talking about the first Gears, mind you.

Guys, Shinobi has always been bullish (and usuaally underservedly) about a game's quality. There was a reason why Jett and him shared that yin-yang tag. Anyone blindly following got exactly what they deserve.

People that listen to shinobi and his pseudo-insider ilk only have themselves to blame.

Amir0x

Banned
That would suck, Sony would be smart to give them another opportunity. They have this excellent PS4 engine now.

I mean I hope Sony does give them a second chance because I do think Ready at Dawn is capable, most of their games have been good. But I just don't think Sony can afford to be extra kind anymore, they are selling things they don't need and cutting corners off where they can. If RAD can't prove themselves in either critical reception or sales, Sony has no good reason to keep investing in them.

breakfuss

Probably going to grab it with GCU, beat it, and trade it in Monday. Doesn't really make much sense for me to wait for a price drop if it has so little replay value.

Hmm. Isn't it too late to get this for ~$40 with GCU? Thought you had to pre-order. If I can do that and trade it back for around the same I *might* entertain this.

Ricky_R

Reviews paint the game exactly how it has looked since reveal based on trailers, footage, and previews; extremely simple by-the-numbers gameplay generally stripped wholesale from the previous generation base template with shallow potential for play diversity slotted in between plentiful and lengthy in-engine cutscenes across a relatively short campaign (short due to production budget/time/manpower dedicated towards technology and presentation first and foremost over play content). Some will fucking hate it because mechanically and systemically there's not much going on under the hood. Some will fucking love it because the game systems are serviceable and they're blown away by the presentation.

I probably won't like it much because I rarely do for these kinds of games, but I'll give it a shot anyway sometime down the road because I'm a sucker for pretty things and still want to see what it's all about.

What, no more red name?

Kiant

Bloodborne is definitely the wiser choice. Shame because the order has potential - hopefully a sequel could improve on it.

ScOULaris

Yeah, I don't see this warranting a sequel. Since when do new IP's get a pass for laying the groundwork for a somehow miraculously better sequel that might come years down the line?

Remember when new IP's were not only much more commonplace but also good when they released? What a strange climate we're in where new IP's are so few and far between that we have to give mediocre/shitty games a pass simply for not being sequels.

DevilFox

Thanks for the smart reply. Too bad I'm not talking about -2 but wider ranges.
Oh well next time I'll remember not to waste my time in these threads :)

Yeah, if there's any use for professional critiques is that they look at the games on their own merits. Judge them as objectively as possible, and impartial to other games .

Lately though, it seems more and more like game critics utilize their personal favourites as the metric for which other games need to be measured, and using the PR environment surrounding the game's release to craft the narrative in their reviews. Like Jeff G. from Giabtbomb comparing DriveClub to FH2 and citing the game's delays and deeming it "not good" as such.

It's just a piss poor job of actually assessing a game's merits.

Yep, I agree.

I was rooting for this to be good. I'm still waiting for this generations grand slam home run. For me, it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully Bloodborne will deliver.

GcfK5C9.gif

cmon man

labaronx

Resogun 84, it's only the highest rated game. Pretty terrible output so far from Sony's 1st party studios.

The heavy hitters haven't released anything yet...

No god of war
No uncharted
No media molecule
No gran turismo
No ratchet and clank

These are usually favorably reviewed franchises

The show little big planet 3and imfamous did what was expected of them... i expect mlb 15 to be higher and Infamous first light reviewed well

Aside from killzone and Infamous and mlb everything else has been new ips

NotLiquid

That said, he also didn't lie or mean to mislead.

Actually, that used to be Derrick. Pretty sure Jett's tag was Mr. Negativity (mirroring Femmeworth's Miss Negativity tag).

Grady

Amazon cancellation confirmed. Which is why i have and never will preorder digitally. Devs must be disappointed, i am sure if they thought it would review this poorly it would have been same day embargo.

Wow, the scores are crap ! i expected 7-8's max but not 5's... lol

Anyway, i still pre-ordered and i'm sure it'll be worth it for me but i can see why the game got low scores, no multi, no replay value and a short campaign. A receipe for low scores.

Shame, Sony had a chance to bring big interest in this title, the universe seems like something really cool that can be expanded to more stories and more games but when the first impression fails, people will have a negative view on it in the future.

I will play it myself tomorrow and will compare with the reviewers to see if i share the same opinions as them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom