• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outlast Trials |OT| Outgaased Tribulations

Bartski

Gold Member
fQfTpCJ.jpg

Red Barrels invites you to experience mind-numbing terror, this time with friends. Whether you go through the trials alone or in teams, if you survive long enough and complete the therapy, Murkoff will happily let you leave… but will you be the same?​

SYNOPSIS

capsule_synopsis_616x295.jpg

Set in the era of the Cold War, human guinea pigs are involuntarily recruited by the good folks at the Murkoff Corporation to test advanced methods of brainwashing and mind control. In a world of distrust, fear, and violence, your morals will be challenged, your endurance tested, and your sanity crushed. All in the name of progress, science, and profit.​

SURVIVE: SOLO OR COOP

capsule_solocoop_616x295.jpg

You’re all prisoners of Murkoff trapped inside their facility. You can choose to complete the trials by yourself or you can tackle them in a team of 2, 3, or 4 players.
Coop is never forced when it comes to mandatory objectives but working together can be highly beneficial.
Whatever the number of players in your party, it’s about surviving and getting out.

Ultimately, your goal is to complete Murkoff's therapy and earn the right to be released back into society. In order to do so, you must complete the Trials and the MK-Challenges.
Trials are immersive story driven therapies that take a certain time to complete. Mk-Challenges are shorter therapies occurring in modified or redesigned section of an existing map.​

HIDE OR FLIGHT

capsule_hideorflight_616x295.jpg

In pure Outlast fashion, the core gameplay involves avoiding enemies, hiding from them, and trying to run away. Murkoff will provide tools you can use to increase your stealth capabilities, create opportunities to flee, slow down enemies, and more. However, you will have to earn those tools and work hard to improve them.
The tools will allow you to

Stun enemies
Blind them
See through walls
Heal yourself and people around you.

Murkoff will ask you to perform disturbing tasks in each trials or mk-challenges. Only after completing those, will you be allowed to exit the Trials or the MK-Challenges.​

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION

capsule_customisation_616x295.jpg

Customize and create your own trial patient.
Your cell is your home while you complete the therapy, you can decorate it however you wish.
Choose your tools, upgrades, and perks to fit your playstyle.
Meet the Denizens of Murkoff’s Sinyala Facility in The Outlast Trials. Each one of them will try and help you get through the Trials in one piece! Think you’ll make it?

steam_page_NOAKS.jpg

steam_page_barlow.jpg

steam_page_doris.jpg

MAkf26Z.jpg

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
“Experience the horror of isolation and powerlessness, now with your friends by your side to help and support you!”

I mean, it could be great, but why Outlast, of all things, as a multiplayer experience?

Bartski

Gold Member
“Experience the horror of isolation and powerlessness, now with your friends by your side to help and support you!”

I mean, it could be great, but why Outlast, of all things, as a multiplayer experience?
It's designed to play solo if you will. But it's better in co-op

I want to go in blind, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the direction they went in with the second outlast. I did love the first one and the DLC was great as well. Is this more like that, or something different altogether?

I just tried some coop, and it does feel like it was meant to be played this way. It definitely takes the edge off as far as horror and stress levels go, but the game does seem to "flow" better. It's amazing how creepy it gets if you are the only one left alive though, and now have a moral dilemma with an actual human to deal with lol

Bartski

Gold Member
A horror in solo, and peak comedy in co-op.

Despite some content shortcomings a fantastic game and insanely underrated. I may be joining the party back for some weeklies down the road, but after over 130 trials in, it's time to move on.

It's almost guaranteed to drop on gamepass/PS+ at some point soon, If you ever plan to pick it up on playstation and need some help just hit me up.

nP1In3s.png

Top Bottom