• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quarry |OT| I bet those kids will be fine...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
img_20220613_2018455qbk5b.png

img_20220613_2018451yijg2.png
4zrp6yy.jpg
TPS5ohe.jpg
n99gGlk.jpg

askmm4t.jpg
KgsQap7.jpg

6QlGIIr.jpg
xCrrJBH.jpg
oVEV6yi.jpg
JFyFap3.jpg

O6z7jib.jpg

img_20220613_20184528nk6t.png

img_20220613_2018453nzkuy.png

XTdIS4N.png

Last edited:

Doom85

I’m waiting until October to play this as I like to save horror games for that month (except new Resident Evil releases which require my immediate attention), but I am excited, loved Until Dawn and I honestly thought the first Dark Pictures game was fairly good (haven’t played the second or third yet).

Reactions: TGO

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I’m waiting until October to play this as I like to save horror games for that month (except new Resident Evil releases which require my immediate attention), but I am excited, loved Until Dawn and I honestly thought the first Dark Pictures game was fairly good (haven’t played the second or third yet).
It takes place in late August. Just play it then.

Liked Laura the most, but then she randomly died during my playthrough, so now I have to do it again...
It's the death were you have to decide between shooting her and the other, I looked at her and didn't notice the super fast timer bar, so I shot neither and everyone cept the other died lol.

• Empathy

TGO

Anyone else having trouble with the Tarot Cards?
on Chapter 2 now and Eliza is getting annoyed with me 😂
Now seriously, can't find any of them🤔

Finished it last night, been playing over to get the rest of the trophies. Jacob is my favorite.

I found chapter 7 to be boring, and, of course it’s the longest.

Overall, great game, enjoyed the story, the only characters I didn’t really care for were Abigail, who was just straight up boring, and Laura, who I found mostly annoying, but, all the other characters I found likeable and funny.

Little creepier than Until Dawn, but, I’d personally put both games pretty much at par with each other when it comes to the question of which is better.

Inspector Q

I liked pretty much all of the characters, although some really didn't get much development, unfortunately. That could also be because of my playthrough:

Abi getting her head torn off pretty early on is why I assume Emma had almost no one to interact with in the latter half of the game.

My favorite was probably Laura. I was like, damn, I want a Resident Evil game with this biatch as the main character, lol. I feel like her, Max and Kaitlyn were a bit older and more mature than the rest of the crew? Kaitlyn felt like she was babysitting half of these kids, lol.

One thing I do wish was different:

While I enjoyed Laura's interactions with Travis, I do wish that if you played your cards right then he would spill the beans to Laura and explain more specifically what the hell was going on. This would cause Laura NOT to kill Kaylee and maybe lead to an ending where Chris can be saved as well. Then again, this IS a horror game, so I guess it may be a bit weird to get such a perfect ending for everybody.

Oh, also, what the heck is up with the lack of Police interviews at the end like we had in Until Dawn? I thought the whole evidence thing combined with who lived/died would lead to different Police interviews. That podcast thing was....lame as hell, lol.

Anyway, cool game, but damn...can we get an option to skip some dialogue for repeat playthroughs?

Doomtrain

Really enjoying my time so far! I like almost every character *except* Emma. She is an insufferable cunt.

100% this. She died early on in my first playthrough and that was so much better than my current playthrough where I saved her. I came around on almost every character except her.

TGO

I found Dylan annoying \_(ツ)_/¯
Also thought Ryan could do with a little more expression

Doomtrain

I disliked Dylan at first but he grew on me over time. His conversation with Ryan midway through the game is really good.

Rayderism

Played through it 3 times now and making different choices each time (of course). I was amazed how those choices really changed the outcome of the story's scenes, conversations and endings. Three playthrough's and three totally different endings in three different locations, and all that while maintaining the same essential story is pretty amazing to experience. The Quarry ain't playing that "illusion of choice" BS. Choices actually DO matter a whole lot more than Until Dawn ever did, or any other game like it. You can make some choice in like chapter 2 and not see the consequences of that choice until like chapter 7. Crazy cool!

I foresee lots of replays of The Quarry in my future.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
100% this. She died early on in my first playthrough and that was so much better than my current playthrough where I saved her. I came around on almost every character except her.

When the game first started, I thought she was going to be the “Girl next door” type character. But then she started speaking and I wanted to find ways to kill her. Somehow I have failed to do so and everyone is still alive (just started Chapter 8). Going to keep going to see if I can save them all in my first run. However, I will absolutely slaughter her relentlessly in all future playthroughs.

Rayderism

Yeah, Emma's a straight-up beeyotch. I've always hated those women who think they are a little miss thang. On my 3rd playthough, I made her die. Kinda funny, but she was babbling into her phone and basically told you how to kill her, so I did.

Inspector Q

When the game first started, I thought she was going to be the “Girl next door” type character. But then she started speaking and I wanted to find ways to kill her. Somehow I have failed to do so and everyone is still alive (just started Chapter 8). Going to keep going to see if I can save them all in my first run. However, I will absolutely slaughter her relentlessly in all future playthroughs.
I haven't seen everything the game has to offer, but it would be kind of lame if they don't have any way for the other characters to get her killed. Two in particular come to mind that should be really pissed at her.

Actually, the relationship between various characters should have been given a greater impact on the various story scenes. The one that they did well immediately comes to mind:

Laura and Travis.

More of that would have been welcome. Where the relationship between different characters can be the difference between life and death.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

SPOILERS AHEAD! Watch the best The Quarry deaths. The Until Dawn creator's new horror game, The Quarry, is chock full of brutal, gory death scenes, and in this video, we'll be showing 8 of our favourite The Quarry character deaths and The Quarry kills.

The Quarry stars David Arquette, Ariel Winter, Justice Smith, Brenda Song, Halston Sage, Siobhan Williams, Skyler Gisondo, Evan Evagora, Miles Robbins, Zach Tinker, Ted Raimi, Lance Henriksen, Lin Shaye, Grace Zabriskie, and Ethan Suplee. The Quarry is available on PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and PC (Steam).

00:00 - The Quarry Abigail Blyg death
01:12 - The Quarry Dylan Lenivy death
02:44 - The Quarry Constance Hackett death
03:22 - The Quarry Jedediah Hackett death
04:39 - The Quarry Kaitlyn Ka death
05:48 - The Quarry Bobby & Chris Hackett death
06:53 - The Quarry Max Brinly death
07:58 - The Quarry Travis Hackett death

Last edited:
Played through it 3 times now and making different choices each time (of course). I was amazed how those choices really changed the outcome of the story's scenes, conversations and endings. Three playthrough's and three totally different endings in three different locations, and all that while maintaining the same essential story is pretty amazing to experience. The Quarry ain't playing that "illusion of choice" BS. Choices actually DO matter a whole lot more than Until Dawn ever did, or any other game like it. You can make some choice in like chapter 2 and not see the consequences of that choice until like chapter 7. Crazy cool!

I foresee lots of replays of The Quarry in my future.
How long is one playthrough on average?

shubik

Finished it once now. Really liked the overall product.

Positive:

- great characters and engaging story
- The mocap on some of those faces is absolutely insane
- The writing is heavily improved compared to Until dawn and lost its cringe (mostly)
- High replayability

Negative:

- it´s a step down from Until Dawn in terms of player agency. I really wished there was more interaction in some of the scenes. Even Quick time Events would be fine
- Although highly replayable I have the feeling that some of the scenes are too long and could be a major turn of for future playthroughs
- The technical side of the game on PS5 is not good. Only the cinematics are 60FPS. Gameplay sections are 30FPS and use a very heavy motion blur
- The darkness level of the game is completely fucked. No idea what they did there but this is not good

I really enjoyed my playthrough and will do at least 1-2 more. One will be Coop. If the game is worth full price though is up for debate. If you are a fan of these types of games, you will have a good time.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Is the title supposed to say "will be fine..." it says "with be fine..." but I can't understand it with the word with?

• Thoughtful

Salz01

Positive:

- The writing is heavily improved compared to Until dawn and lost its cringe (mostly)
- High replayability

Negative:

- it´s a step down from Until Dawn in terms of player agency. I really wished there was more interaction in some of the scenes. Even Quick time Events would be fine
- Although highly replayable I have the feeling that some of the scenes are too long and could be a major turn of for future playthroughs
- The technical side of the game on PS5 is not good. Only the cinematics are 60FPS. Gameplay sections are 30FPS and use a very heavy motion blur
- The darkness level of the game is completely fucked. No idea what they did there but this is not good

I really enjoyed my playthrough and will do at least 1-2 more. One will be Coop. If the game is worth full price though is up for debate. If you are a fan of these types of games, you will have a good time.
Man, did not know it’s 30fps in gameplay…. That sucks so bad. I guess it’s slow movement, so might not really matter.

TGO

Is the title supposed to say "will be fine..." it says "with be fine..." but I can't understand it with the word with?
You're right, Autocorrect strikes again.
Weird how technology is getting worse at doing doing stuff it did fine years ago.
Just this post alone I've had to correct it myself 4 times 🙄
EviLore EviLore
Be a pal and fix the title please 😁

Last edited:

TGO

Positive:

- High replayability

Negative:

Yeah the graphics can look kinda real sometimes
esgzalw.jpg
9C4Xjsr.jpg
4uuke9l.jpg
hdlc8b2.jpg

Doing everyone dies movie mode atm, and I feel like chapters 1-3 could be truncated heavily, the prologue sets this awesome tone, which is very much in line with monster movies, but then it slows and drags way too much before picking up again.
I feel like it could go straight from packing the bags, to shooting the gun to truth or dare and just cut everything in between.
Even in chapters 4-6 I feel there's just parts there to pad the length, even though those are good overall until starting to be awesome again from chapter 7 onwards.

Basically they should do a Laura solo game next.

jaysius

Banned
Day 1 for me... when it goes on a deep sale.

It looks great though, it's hilarious some people here staning over random actors that aren't in it "enough" I mean go watch some of their other content if you need them so much.

Jennings

Man, they want seventy freaking dollars for this game. This just doesn't seem like a $70 game, but more like a $19.99 discount title. I can't justify spending that kinda money on this.

TGO

Mostly because of how it be like it is.
6yOCymo.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.
Make perfect sense now 🙄

As for the price try looking around, I only paid £50 and games are usually £69.99 here.
Then again people bitched that RE3R was $60 but I only paid £35 for the Lenticular Cover Edition

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Played through with my partner: we got so many people killed. A lot to think about for the next playthrough.

This is one of the ultimate party games. Pass the controller around and let everyone drunkingly make decisions and then everyone gasps or laughs or cheers at the results. This game is really cool.

TGO

I'm near the end of the game with everyone alive then I get Kaitlyn killed.
That bitch obviously didn't wanna die because half-hour later my PS5 just randomly shuts down during a cutscene!
rebooted the game and my save file is corrupted!
I have to use the one from PS+Cloud....which happens to be Kaitlyn's Chapter she died on 👀

bender

What time is it?
Just rolled the credits. Oddly enough, I played through Little Hope yesterday. The gulf in quality between Supermassive Games smaller titles and The Quarry/Until Dawn is massive (free pun). I just don't think the smaller titles let you spend enough time with characters to let them develop before the shit hits the fan. Until Dawn is still my favorite, mostly because The Quarry is super predictable and none of the twists or turns "got" me. I really do like the cast and performances in the game. I also like that they simplified the QTEs to directions on the analog stick with the occasion button mash. It's also a really nice looking game save for a handful of flaws that really stand out compared to everything else. Hair physics tend to kick in during cut scenes and female character's hair tends to bounce. The water effects in the game are pretty bad and some of the aliasing of background objects is jarring during conversations that feature heavy depth of field. Lastly, the overall presentation is dark as hell. I even cranked brightness to 100.

If you are on the fence like I was, loved Until Dawn but hated Medan and Little Hope (haven't played House of Ashes), I'd say this is easily worth your time.

Last edited:

TGO

Just rolled the credits. Oddly enough, I played through Little Hope yesterday. The gulf in quality between Supermassive Games smaller titles and The Quarry/Until Dawn is massive (free pun). I just don't think the smaller titles let you spend enough time with characters to let them develop before the shit hits the fan. Until Dawn is still my favorite, mostly because The Quarry is super predictable and none of the twists or turns "got" me. I really do like the cast and performances in the game. I also like that they simplified the QTEs to directions on the analog stick with the occasion button mash. It's also a really nice looking game save for a handful of flaws that really stand out compared to everything else. Hair physics tend to kick in during cut scenes and female character's hair tends to bounce. The water effects in the game are pretty bad and some of the aliasing of background objects is jarring during conversations that feature heavy depth of field. Lastly, the overall presentation is dark as hell. I even cranked brightness to 100.

If you are on the fence like I was, loved Until Dawn but hated Medan and Little Hope (haven't played House of Ashes), I'd say this is easily worth your time.
Good write up
Just finished it myself, Everyone survived!

Also pop Indie Filter on, it's a lot brighter
tI4wk4L.jpg
rnGtY61.jpg
0ksMvYO.jpg

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Good write up
Just finished it myself, Everyone survived!
Also pop Indie Filter on, it's a lot brighter
tI4wk4L.jpg
rnGtY61.jpg
0ksMvYO.jpg

I lost
Jacob (left him in the cage...whoops), Dylan (bullshit death at the end for not running), and Kaitlyn (held my breath too long and couldn't hold my breath a second time). I killed Constance, Chris and Silas.

Last edited:
  • Empathy

TGO

Overall I thought it was very good but bender bender said the QTE's have been watered down to be too easy
Graphically minus the few odd graphics problems I think the game looks incredible sometimes
Even to the point of forgetting it's a game and thinking you're watching the real actors in a film.
I'll probably replay it as I easily missed stuff and it will be interesting to see how things play out if certain people didn't survive.

bender

What time is it?
Overall I thought it was very good but bender bender said the QTE's have been watered down to be too easy
Graphically minus the few odd graphics problems I think the game looks incredible sometimes
Even to the point of forgetting it's a game and thinking you're watching the real actors in a film.
I'll probably replay it as I easily missed stuff and it will be interesting to see how things play out if certain people didn't survive.

You are probably right about being too easy but it seems like the easy "fix" would be to decrease the timing windows.

I'm not sure I'll replay it anytime soon but I may use the rewind feature to go back and save the kids that got killed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright, since there's no way in hell I'm paying $70 for this, this is going to be my first real test of using game fly, thankfully they offer a 30 day free trial and the quarry was available, so hopefully they deliver before the weekend so I can put some time in.

Still can't believe the new gen console versions are locked to 30 FPS. Realistically the big difference between One X and Series X versions is usually double the performance .. what's it gonna be here ?

Last edited:
Movie mode showed me how to get the final girl chapter, I set to to everyone dies so I didn't get to see the actual final girl ending, but I'm gonna try for that one next, since it feels closet to an actual horror movie.

Top Bottom