• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quarry |OT| I bet those kids will be fine...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I appreciate they added a straight up movie mode, but then again they have accessibility options to basically complete all QTE's automatically, so it's kinda pointless lol.

adamsapple

6-26-2022_11-24-30_amnzjzx.png

It's a very good looking game at least.

Posted in the currently playing games thread, I think I might as well post it here in the OT as well.
The Quarry
sXx3vhV.png

Huge fan of Until Dawn and generally SuperMassive's games. The Quarry did not disappoint me, a solid 8/10, not exceeding Until Dawn tho, still.

The settings and characters were all very intriguing, kept me want to know how the plots gonna unfold, the setups and twists were all making sense at the end. The reason it did not uncrown Until Dawn was because the timelines intertwines and weaves were not as strong as the previous title.

The graphic is definitely a highlight, the facial details and animations were so good, it really enhanced the immersion. It is only 30 FPS on PS5, but you know this type of games are basically movies, so it doesn't hurt much.

The funny part is about the Platinum trophy, there is a trophy that is glitched and can't be earned as it is supposed to, preventing you earning the platinum normally. But the trophy hunting community came together and brought up all kinds of theories. After numerous trials and errors, players actually found a workaround to pop this trophy, which is so awesome.

Last but least, I still can't get over the pricing for the game, current gen version are 70 dollars but PC still 60, really? 2K really showed its true color of greedy, which made me actually just rented and beat the game instead of buying. Might buy a digital copy in the future when it's on sale.

Posted in the currently playing games thread, I think I might as well post it here in the OT as well.
You can refer to this post https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/128356-hard-pass-trophy-fix-disc-versionpossibly-digital/

It works on the current 1.02 version on PS4 and PS5, you don't have to use a disc to downgrade. So basically, start a new game, collect at least 1 tarot card each chapter, and when you face the old woman at the end of each chapter, choose "move on" and immediate back out to the game's main menu, then choose continue, you will at the old woman scene where you just have left, this trick somehow counts as if you chose "move on" twice.

Doing this trick at every chapter, and you should unlock the trophy at the end of chapter 5. So the theory is that to unlock the trophy in current version, you need to choose "move on" 11 times, but normally playing only gives you 9 times and that's why it is glitched.

adamsapple

You can refer to this post https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/128356-hard-pass-trophy-fix-disc-versionpossibly-digital/

It works on the current 1.02 version on PS4 and PS5, you don't have to use a disc to downgrade. So basically, start a new game, collect at least 1 tarot card each chapter, and when you face the old woman at the end of each chapter, choose "move on" and immediate back out to the game's main menu, then choose continue, you will at the old woman scene where you just have left, this trick somehow counts as if you chose "move on" twice.

Doing this trick at every chapter, and you should unlock the trophy at the end of chapter 5. So the theory is that to unlock the trophy in current version, you need to choose "move on" 11 times, but normally playing only gives you 9 times and that's why it is glitched.

Thank you. I hope this method also works on Xbox.

Thank you. I hope this method also works on Xbox.
I think the that thread there are some discussion about Xbox, you might wanna dig in.

Also, if it didn't pop at chapter 5 for you just keep doing that, I personally popped at chapter 7 because I skipped the card in chapter 2 for the clues.

consoul

While the character establishment is welcome, I'm finding the scenes until the sun sets really drag in replays.

Where's my VHS fast forward?

adamsapple

While the character establishment is welcome, I'm finding the scenes until the sun sets really drag in replays.

Where's my VHS fast forward?

yeah, that and the fucking 20 minute credits that you can't skip.

Some QoL settings would have been appreciated.

consoul

Yeah the credits being unskippable is kind of obnoxious. I appreciate that the podcast changes depending on which evidence you collect, but I still don't want to have to sit through it every time.

adamsapple

Yeah the credits being unskippable is kind of obnoxious. I appreciate that the podcast changes depending on which evidence you collect, but I still don't want to have to sit through it every time.

Ugh, now that I'm playing chapter selects to mop up achievements, it's REALLY dragging now. I've had to sit through those 15~20 minute credits at least 3 times since yesterday and it is boring as sin even if there's a few different lines of podcast dialogue.

Overall I've really enjoyed the game so far.

It feels like the opening chapters and later chapters were made with a whole different budget. The animations and everything is incredibly stiff in the first few chapters, but as the game goes on everything starts becoming a lot more organic including character facial animations and how they're physically acting during events.

I'm gonna guess the game started development at the early panic-stages of covid lockdowns and the developers got more proficient with the new work situations as the time went on, just my guess.

In the final chapters. Some of the dialogue is really funny. Really enjoying it. The plot doesnt hold a candle to House of Ashes though.

I loved Until Dawn but this game was so boring I couldn't even finish it. Way too easy. It's practically impossible to miss a QTE. At first I thought I accidentally enabled Retardera participation mode but no... that's the default difficulty. I went back and tried Little Hope with the new PS Plus and that is a million times better. It looks better, plays better and has the better story. Bloody shame.

Last edited:

adamsapple

18ajrc.png

Alright. Had to do one extra partial play through but the Hard Pass workaround works until they officially patch a fix.

Good shit, had a blast playing the game.

Sleepwalker

What's the difference between ps4/ps5 and xbone/xsx for this? I'm close to biting the bullet and picking it up for full price because I'm bored and need something to play, wife might enjoy it as well I guess.

Is it worth the pickup? I really enjoyed until dawn but bounced off man of medan, havent tried the other 2 games.

adamsapple

What's the difference between ps4/ps5 and xbone/xsx for this? I'm close to biting the bullet and picking it up for full price because I'm bored and need something to play, wife might enjoy it as well I guess.

Is it worth the pickup? I really enjoyed until dawn but bounced off man of medan, havent tried the other 2 games.

I rented it via game fly, one campaign can be 8~10 hours and there's a lot of ways you can replay if you want to do things like keeping everyone alive, letting everyone die etc.

I had a blast with it, but I wouldn't call it worth $70 personally, so I'm glad I got my fill out of it in a single rental period and returned it.

-

As for the differences, there's not a lot of comparisons but from the few I can find, PS5 and SX are near identical with PS5 missing some god ray effects that Xbox has. Otherwise they both run at around 4K at 30 FPS.

adamsapple

Just picked up the XSX version for $50 in the Prime Day lighting deal.

I really enjoyed my time and I think I've had my fill of the game (like, I've put in 50+ hrs in a supposed 6 to 8 hr game lol).

Probably might pick it up permanently when it goes below $30. But for now, no regrets with the rental.

123najjg.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Completely agree about the start dragging on, but I already mentioned that in my earlier post
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-quarry-ot-i-bet-those-kids-will-be-fine.1637860/post-266296357
They definitely need to do a QoL pass on this game.

It's not just that the start drags on, the game feels a lot lower quality and lesser polished especially in the first day time chapter. The animations feel a lot more stiffer and a lot of instances of characters just standing in a circle making absolutely no movements and standing like mannequins.

The more the game goes on and you start getting off 2, 3 character pairings, everything just gets so much better. It's almost like the first few chapters were made in the heyday of the pandemic with the developers getting used to not working in the office, and the later chapters when they had gotten a good hang of it.

Facial animations, motion capture animations etc all take a massive turn upwards in the later chapters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

SteadyEvo

What a game! Or interactive movie… either way it was awesome. Not the best ending and can’t wait to start another play through. Yeah, the qtes were over simplified but it’s more about the impact of decisions.

I believe this is SuperMassives best work

solidus12

Guys, the game is 50 euros (PS5) and 46,89 euros (PS4) on PS store.
Is it worth it at that price? Knowing that I loved Until Dawn and didn't enjoy Man of Medan or little hope (PS+ extra)

The $70 price is insane and thank you for pointing out how the PC version is $60 As console gamers we should not just accept a higher price point for literally no reason other than that publishers know they can get away with it. It's no different really having to pay $10 extra for a Ps5 copy compared to Ps4. Sony has gotten greedy and that has given other smaller publishers who also are greedy the green light.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still £49 on Amazon.co.uk
Don't know why it's so expensive in the US
this was the same with RE3R which was $60 according to the members here in the US, but it was only £34 for the Lenticular Cover Edition here, strange 😕

The $70 price is insane and thank you for pointing out how the PC version is $60 As console gamers we should not just accept a higher price point for literally no reason other than that publishers know they can get away with it. It's no different really having to pay $10 extra for a Ps5 copy compared to Ps4. Sony has gotten greedy and that has given other smaller publishers who also are greedy the green light.
You know mate I had a pretty heated discussion with a guy in the thread saying $70 is perfectly fine and it's based on the company's demand and supply analysis.

I told him I would be on board if the 70 buck Price tag is universal and I asked for evidence that only next gen console players have high demands over supplies such that they must raise 10 bucks but he just wouldn't face any of it, just kept mumbling 70 is fine whatsoever.
Haha I was pretty speechless at the end 😂

The game is cool though, more memorable than several dark anthology titles.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Bought it since it's on sale. Some of the facial expressions lol. Mouths are nightmare fuel and the characters can't even look each other straight in the eyes. Like the premise tho. Enjoyed Until Dawn but found the Dark Picture serie to be shit.

got this on sale & just finished my second playthrough. saved everyone. though:
not quite all of everyone - sorry about the hand, dylan...

not as good as until dawn, &, for me, not really as good as the dark pictures games, either, but still very enjoyable. supermassive has my number - they took the ball from quantic dreams, made it their own, &'ve been running with it very effectively, imo, ever since...

Valonquar

Quarry is included now with PS+ Extra. Just finished a kill everyone run, but accidentally had one survivor. Definitely will be doing another run.

bitbydeath

Just completed it, it’s a shame you can’t skip cutscenes on the second run, otherwise I’d play it again. Emma was annoying, had her killed off at the first chance I got.

Graphically it’s not as good as Until Dawn, and while strange I thought the game mechanics were worse too. Couldn’t we run in Until Dawn?

Nitpicking aside it was still a fun story.

Valonquar

You can walk fasterer with L1 even though the game never tells you.

Did an everyone lives run. Story worked much better, though some of the changes were weird like
Dylan having to have his hand chopped off.

Bartski

Gold Member
Beat it last night. Boring as shit all the way till chapter 4, gets better but not enough to make up for spending time with some truly insufferable characters I ended up deliberately getting killed just to get rid of them. What's weird is how uneven facial capture and animation quality is at Supermassive, some scenes with Laura and the cop are on a totally different level than much of the supporting cast, also in terms of voice acting.
I've had some weird cuts that didn't make sense but overall it's a much higher quality product than that last dark pictures game.

Top Bottom