• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the recent decade of anime is beautiful (lotta pics)

mdubs

Banned
Thread about recent beautiful looking anime.
CTRL-F for 'Your Lie in April" turns up... nothing?!? Really?

Kimi%2Bno%2BUso%2B1.gif

shigatsu-wa-kimi-no-uso-episode-22.gif

tumblr_ndb2w26v3a1sgtx3io1_500.gif

Yessssssssssssssssssssss

Chariot

People say anime is shit now... but anime is in some of the best shape it's ever been. So many great shows in the last 10 years.

Edit - how the heck does Madoka not have five star suffering?? Being meguca is...

Come on, OP, you didn't give madoka 5 stars for suffering?
I don't know, it felt wrong on the same list as Bokurano and Shiki. Both are remarkably more savage than Madoka, Urobutcher be damned.

Nice list.

But yet another one without Gankutsuou. Such an under appreciated anime these days it seems. I guess it just missed your cutoff with the decade though. So I will let it slide.
Didn't make the time cut :(

No worries, watch what you want. It's not a love triangle at all though...
Right. It was a love polyeder or a love conga line?

telling people not to watch 2003 full metal alchemist wtf op ;=; </3
I am so sorry, but the only good thing 2003 offers that Brotherhood don't is Brothers. The latter part, where it diverged from the mange and the especially the movies went off the rails in a bad way. It's not a really bad show if you forget the movie, but it goes up in flames next to Brotherhood.

No Battleship Yamato 2199 and K-ON love?

For shame OP.
Still have to watch Yamato and K-On! bored. Me Don't get me wrong, K-On GAF is amazing.
But K-On itself? Sorry :(

I was onboard with your thread idea until I saw

It makes me shudder uncontrollably.
Uguu.
I can understand the aversion against the hard key faces. Maybe I should've put more sceneries in there :,D

Fireblend

Banned
I'm never going to read through the whole thing, but that's a really nice OP and I really appreciate the effort. I might have to subscribe for whenever I want something to watch.

lol @ Steven Universe.

Lucumo

There is a Berzerk anime series, but I refer strictly to the new movies, since they are a lot better. Berzerk is set in a european style fantasy middle ages and the Golden Age follows a band of legendary mercenaries wrapped up in political intrigues and something even darker. It has some cgi, but is mostly a feast for the eyes.
The Berserk series is far better than the movies. Also, "it has some cgi". Then it kinda defeats the purpose of you posting three pictures with terrible cgi.

Chariot

Black Lagoon is one star suffering?

Did they not get to Hansel and Gretel in the anime?
Good point, I up it to three. Japan arc was also not a very feel good event.

ok this thread is Sawashiro **************
The amount of Sawashiro we should all strife for.

The Berserk series is far better than the movies. Also, "it has some cgi". Then it kinda defeats the purpose of you posting three pictures with terrible cgi.
I think it looks gorgeous.

Verelios

This is some dedication OP. I see you didn't opt to put Gundam Build up...hey no prob.

No Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans...? I'm seeing a trend here.

Booooooo this man. Booooo

Fandangox

Very weird ranking system or whatever. Out of there though I really like HxH and Baccano, some of the best anime I have seen, just a shame HxH WILL NEVER GET OUT OF HIATUS

Black Lagoon is also good, but I feel the ova's slight differences with the manga just changed Rock's character too much.

The description for Redline should have just been "7 year, Hand Drawn"

daydream

Banned
as someone who has watched very little recent stuff, most of what you listed seems super generic, at least visually, and i went through it at a relatively slow pace to see if something catches my attention

people like masaaki yuasa (you listed the tatami galaxy) are the exception, sadly

Nice OP.

Got some of them on my Crunchyroll Queue.

Already on my Queue but not yet watched.

- JOJO
- Hunter x Hunter
- Inferno Cop

And the reason i haven´t is Gintama. I really wasn´t sure about it at first. It was fun in the beginning but for me personally the show started pretty slow. But after episode 25 i think the show really found its groove. It quickly became one of my favorites of all time. Just the sheer amount of creativity on that show is crazy. And i´m having a ball watching it, truly one of the most hilarious things i´ve seen. And the animation is actually pretty good for a long running show too.

I love that sometimes, they go minutes with a serious theme, being sincere and emotional, just to set up a joke, that never fails.

For anyone curious, i´m just gonna drop this scene and this scene without context.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OP can you add categories for "are there robots in this" and "do characters do that floating anime sweat drop thing"? As is this is the most useful anime review system I've ever seen (not joking) and I'm just looking to enhance it further.

Gattsu25

Banned
OP can you add categories for "are there robots in this" and "do characters do that floating anime sweat drop thing"? As is this is the most useful anime review system I've ever seen (not joking) and I'm just looking to enhance it further.

I second this.

I personally would like to know the mecha coefficient of each anime as well as how repellent each anime also is (referring to the floating sweat drop)

Wanderer5

Not a bad list, but where...

*F3 Kill La Kill*

a24.jpg

Wait a minute, what's Steven Universe Doing there?!

Yeah that a american cartoon isn't it? Unless that was thrown in cause it has anime influences, in which case, what about Avatar: The Last Airbender?!?!?!?!:x

It's tough wanting an anime that doesn't have fanservice, isn't moe, isn't slice of life, isn't a comedy, and has good writing.

And that's why
Steven Universe
is the best.

Also continue HxH, Togashi pls

All I can really add to this thread is that I recently watched Gargantia and I enjoyed it. No idea how it actually holds up in anime standards though. I'll just say I really enjoyed the slow burning beginning that unfortunately seems to turns into a "Oh shit, we can only afford one season!" as the show seems to quickly gloss over somethings to the end sequence of episodes.

Overall I'd say it's decent to good.

Fandangox

I thought Steven Universe being on the middle of the list without any mention of it not being an anime was just a subtle joke, and everyone was on it by avoiding the subject.

Wanderer5

Also no mention of Penguindrum from the looks of it, so yeah, PENGUINDRUM!:p

tumblr_inline_npf4joTzr91qgl6qf_500.gif

giphy.gif

This anime got really trippy (and quite screwed up) at times.XD

Qurupeke

Well...Excellent work! I think you've mentioned almost* all of favourite animes. :D I certainly approve of this list. The fact you included Gatchaman Crowds makes me so happy.

As someone that has started watching animes only the last few years, I have really watched some amazing stuff in only a few months. The last few months alone I've seen Madoka Magica, the Monogatari series, Code Geass and Gintama. They're all incredible, for their own reasons its one. Stuff like Monogatari and Madoka were especially mind blowing. They're really unique and they can be a lot more complex and deep than what someone may think.

*No Kokoro Connect, even though you mention it because of Sawashiro. :(

i think you might be living in the 90's without knowing it

Aurongel

Loved, loved, loved Baccano but literally almost everything else I've seen this year that's also in the OP was utter trash.

Odrion

Banned
Not a bad list, but where...

*F3 Kill La Kill*

a24.jpg

Yeah that a american cartoon isn't it? Unless that was thrown in cause it has anime influences, in which case, what about Avatar: The Last Airbender?!?!?!?!:x

Kill la Kill is as best organic garbage that, while may not be thrown in a dumpster, should at least be left in a ditch.

vityaz

Nice seeing 5 centimeters per second listed, damn it's beautiful. Not only the art, but the music as well. I remember re-watching this small teaser/trailer a shitload of times when it came out a long time ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKn5AwOTis

I wish I could enjoy anime more and watch more series, but it's hard with all the moe creepiness and annoying character tropes.

MilkBeard

You know, I was going to go...'but anime is declining lately' and then I remembered all the anime that I've watched that has been listed in this thread. Full Metal Alchemist, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Clannad among many others. There have been some great anime if you look at the span of 10 years in releases.

I'm going to bookmark this thread for when I want to watch something.

Wanderer5

This, too! I can't recommend Penguindrum enough. It's really hilarious but also extremely painful. Sometimes both within the same scene. Beautiful.

That anime sure had some... interesting parents.XD

Great characters it has. The whole Ringo stalking Keiju thing was such a joy to go through especially, giving glorious scenes like this.

Kill la Kill is as best organic garbage that, while may not be thrown in a dumpster, should at least be left in a ditch.

Heh hardly. While the story did go off the rails later on, it still had some pretty nice charm and style to it and a great cast of characters.

Kansoku

nuh dud anime was best in the 90's

Jokes aside, nice list. Would add:

Aku no Hana
Casshern Sins
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Durarara!!
Hanasaku Iroha
Higashi no Eden
Hitsugi no Chaika
shocking truth.
Hyouka
Kuuchuu Buranko
Love Lab
Mawaru Pengindrum
Mononoke
Nagi no Asukara
Nichijou
Spice and Wolf
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Toradora!
Working!!

and some movies like Kotonoha ni Niwa and Colorful.

This reminded e I have to finish watching Redline one of these days.

Its also led me to a couple other ones that look neat. Thanks for the thread buddy!

Top Bottom