• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ROG Ally seems to be a real handheld.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So Asus released this trailer yesterday, and people obviously thought is was a April fools joke, but you can go to the official Bestbuy website and sign up for updates.

This might not be a big deal for those who already own a Steam Deck, but the Steam Deck haven't been released worldwide, like here in Norway, and probably never will (Steam Link and Steam Controller wasn't).

Edit:

It will apparently deliver double the performance of the Steam Deck.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Shawn Yen (head of product development) said this on LinkedIn

Ally = A lie

Also, the trailer referenced their contact lenses gag from last year. Really yet to be seen if this thing is actually real or not.

So they got Best Buy to help promote an April Fool's Day joke?

Frustrated Gecko GIF

So if it is a joke then it is pretty lame. If it isn't.....why is this guy calling his product "a lie" on linked in? Just bizarre either way.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So they got Best Buy to help promote an April Fool's Day joke?

Frustrated Gecko GIF

So if it is a joke then it is pretty lame. If it isn't.....why is this guy calling his product "a lie" on linked in? Just bizarre either way.
Well, obviously ASUS has a pipeline into Best Buy for setting up new products and whatnot. It could be leveraging an automated process, or they could have "pranked" (lied) to Best Buy staff about this being real. Or - it could actually be real.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, obviously ASUS has a pipeline into Best Buy for setting up new products and whatnot. It could be leveraging an automated process, or they could have "pranked" (lied) to Best Buy staff about this being real. Or - it could actually be real.

They included the link to best buy in the video description. End of the trailer says "available at Best Buy" as well. Not sure.

But if the product manager calls it a lie then I guess it isn't real. Guess I should have picked up on the contact lens thing.

Last edited:

jshackles

They included the link to best buy in their tweet. End of the trailer says "available at Best Buy" as well. But if the product manager calls it a lie then I guess it isn't real. Guess I should have picked up on the contact lens thing.
Personally, I'm waiting for more info.

I look at all the evidence that it's fake, then literally do this:
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Because I'd love to see some competition pop up for the Steam Deck - especially some from a big name hardware manufacturer like ASUS, especially for a unit that would potentially be available at Best Buy stores.

Topher

Gold Member
Personally, I'm waiting for more info.

I look at all the evidence that it's fake, then literally do this:
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Because I'd love to see some competition pop up for the Steam Deck - especially some from a big name hardware manufacturer like ASUS, especially for a unit that would potentially be available at Best Buy stores.

I'd love to see it. The trailer references using it with their XG Mobile eGPU. That sounds fantastic. I wonder if this is Asus' way off gauging the market for such a device. Put it out there on April Fool's Day and see what kind of reaction they get.

simpatico

Gonna be a tough decision for me if Switch 2 has the same form factor. I'm kinda depending on that to get my handheld fill. If it comes as a regular tabletop console, I guess I'll buy something like this or the Deck.

jshackles

I don't know what's what with this thing.
Either massive dedication to the gag, or this thing is real. I guess if they keep releasing info and tweeting about it after today, we'll know it's likely legitimate.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo layout is kind of odd for a PC handheld. hopefully this isn't just an underpowered system meant purely for emulation

Ah shit, i read wrong. It's ABXY. my eyes decieve me sometimes

Last edited:

baphomet

It's obviously real. AMD wouldn't let them name drop them for a random April fool's prank.

The contacts part, however, is the joke.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
yawnnnn another one/
this is nothing but a good thing. Keep the market growing, i want to see it flooded with handheld PCs at every corner. This is exactly what i wanted (and expected) for handheld PCs when the Steam Deck was announced

well... not exactly what i wanted. all of them barring the deck and AYN Loki are over a thousand dollars. :(

TVexperto

ETA Prime thinks it is real. Says he has info he cannot share. If you don't know him, he caters to the mini PC and portable markets and gets tons of review units from manufacturers. One of the few youtube channels I make a point to watch.

if this is true, selling my steam deck right now, cant handle the shitty fans and screen quality anymore

StereoVsn

Interesting. Wonder if this will be Android or Windows. And of course the specs.

Also, Asus gaming phones are kind of pricey, I would expect thos to carry same sort of premium.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Interesting. Wonder if this will be Android or Windows. And of course the specs.

Also, Asus gaming phones are kind of pricey, I would expect thos to carry same sort of premium.
judging by the games its running it's windows without a doubt

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Guestimate (based on their Rog line of gaming phones and outline specs)
$649.99 with 512gb storage
(or $549.99 if they ape the Odin Lite pcb layout/battery/etc)
  • Better performance than the SteamDeck at native Ally resolution
  • Much better performance at 720p 60hrz (Steam Deck resolution)
  • Better "hand feel" based on the concept images leaked (imo)
Marketing jargon " something something Ally for your PC"

Last edited:
Top Bottom