• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ROG Ally seems to be a real handheld.

Topher

Gold Member
This is really cringe, all of it.

Why is that cringe? I mean.....he isn't wrong. PC gaming gives a heck of lot of freedom. From choosing your own hardware, to mods and where to buy games. Just being able to choose from a wider variety of peripherals and not being dependent on officially license crap is a big draw for me.

As for the ROG Ally itself, I'm in if I can slap Linux on it.

Dat freedom! :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Poppyseed

It seems crazy we can buy this in a couple of weeks and there's no official word on pricing, despite the (maybe) leaked numbers.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty interesting video from ETA Prime using the Phoenix Point APU to estimate what kind of performance we can expect from Ally at 15-30 watts.

Also says he will be installing Steam OS on Ally when he gets it to compare. That should be interesting.

Last edited:

Banned
Pretty interesting video from ETA Prime using the Phoenix Point APU to estimate what kind of performance we can expect from Ally at 15-30 watts.

Also says he will be installing Steam OS on Ally when he gets it to compare. That should be interesting.

so basically somewhere between PS4 and PS4 Pro performance depending on game and wattage.

bbeach123

16g ram(shared) in 2023 kinda low... No ?

This handheld would be fine playing old game , maybe this year too . But future ? ehh feel kinda unsafe .

Last edited:

Banned

This handheld would be fine playing old game , maybe this year too . But future ? ehh feel kinda unsafe .

if you play on low or medium at 1080p, 900p or with upsampling, it shouldn't really be an issue.

especially if they have preinstalled software that helps with decluttering Windows background tasks.

Tams

You're not going to be playing above 1080p on any of these devices, even the ones that with have OCuLink (or ASUS fiddling with it).

Well maybe 1440p with an eGPU, but the CPU will start to struggle after that.

Assuming those prices are true, that's seems quite a decent price. Not enough for me to get one and abandon my Deck. I mean, it already took the 10% off sale from Valve to make me give in and get a Deck at $360 and the Ally is still nearly double that. It's pretty much killed the other portable PC makers though.

Topher

Gold Member
yankjTjKRCXnqdB36yv9WV-1200-80.jpg

Seems Asus is turning this into quite an event. I wonder why Roanne Sones is going to be there though? Just to pimp Game Pass for PC? A little strange for the "head of Xbox hardware" to be doing that though.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

graywolf323

Seems Asus is turning this into quite an event. I wonder why Roanne Sones is going to be there though? Just to pimp Game Pass for PC? A little strange for the "head of Xbox hardware" to be doing that though.

Will Smith Reaction GIF
she seems to be the one person in Xbox leadership doing a good job since they’ve been hitting out of the park on hardware since the One X

maybe they did some sort of hardware collab as well?

graywolf323

Agree. Xbox hardware is top notch. Especially the build quality. Will be interesting to see what she says.
hardware is honestly the main reason why I have no plans to sell my Series X, it’s just sad I don’t have new games to play on it but it’s fantastic for what it is & before they dropped it the BC was amazing… I’m still kinda bitter they ended it and what have we gotten these past 3 years?

I do feel foolish having purchased one at launch though

edit: that’s veering off-topic for what this thread is about, I’m very curious to see how the ROG Ally event goes

Last edited:

Banned

Will Smith Reaction GIF

technically speaking you'll be able to play all of Microsoft's games on this thing, and it's cross-buy and cross save for a lot of them as well.

Microsoft is most likely there to help sell Windows based hardware, since they might start looking at SteamOS as a competitor in the gaming space.

Ozriel

M$FT
Agree. Xbox hardware is top notch. Especially the build quality. Will be interesting to see what she says.

Probably just there as someone from the xbox leadership team to talk up Gamepass. I don’t see anything xbox hardware related in the Ally.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
MS seems to be involved due to the cloud gaming part, but what if they are stealth launching hardware support too for Xbox games? That would be funny. I mean really to get series S games to run on it, would it be that hard? (slightly modified? )

Top Bottom