• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ROG Ally seems to be a real handheld.

Topher

Gold Member

That's impressive pricing if true. Same exact price as the 512GB Steam Deck. Microsoft being on-board to promote Game Pass and Windows over Steam and Linux isn't surprising. Of course.......this guy could be full of shit too so...

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
From what I've read on this since I own an Asus Flow Z13 tablet/laptop with the same connector, Asus has modified the pin layout from standard in their implementation.
Yes, but if it's just some rewiring and doesn't have any special software handshake or firmware detection, then if this Ally moves enough volume someone will definitely make and sell standard GPU adapters for it.

xrnzaaas

It'll probably double Steam Deck's price as well. With Valve's hardware I can understand the appeal (plus it's super easy to use thanks to Steam integration), but here... why not buy a gaming laptop?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's impressive pricing if true. Same exact price as the 512GB Steam Deck. Microsoft being on-board to promote Game Pass and Windows over Steam and Linux isn't surprising. Of course.......this guy could be full of shit too so...

I'm thinking he is, why would the 1tb version be $250 more than 512?

Hoping maybe he's right though as 649 is at least so so and he mentions sony working on a handheld and I want that to be true.....

reksveks

I'm thinking he is, why would the 1tb version be $250 more than 512?

Hoping maybe he's right though as 649 is at least so so and he mentions sony working on a handheld and I want that to be true.....
That price differential ain't too crazy, the steamdeck price gap between the 64 emmc and 512 nvme is 220gbp. It's to maximise margins, anytime someone can sell you a storage increase where the storage isn't 'easily' replaceable, they will overcharge.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

WIth my Steam Deck all setup with Dual Boot, not sure if I care. Price seems good if true. If performance is insane It might peak my interest.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Klosshufvud

Finally a Zen4/RDNA3 handheld. It's been way overdue. However I don't expect even close to the drastic gains RDNA2 had on Vega. That was a paradigm shift for handheld gaming.

DaGwaphics

$650 wouldn't be bad at all. Just got an email alert from them about the device, definitely looks like something they are going full steam ahead with.

If they could eek out performance similar to a 6500xt on something like this, that could be a really solid portable device even on the newer titles (where the poor 6500xt can generally still muster 30fps low).

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The touchpads are pretty integral for me with the Steam Deck, really elevates that controls in FPS/TPS (which is what like 90% of gaming these days) and other less console friendly games. Nice to see other options out there for people who want it!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like a solid price/performance ratio, if the leaks are true. But probably still not enough to motivate me to upgrade from the Steam Deck, unless their software hub is super slick. Having easy access to my Xbox / GOG / Epic libraries alongside Steam would be a good get. But the Deck's sheer "pick up and start playing" software hub really makes it special. SteamOS 3.0 integrates actual OS functionality, such as managing updates and files, setting screen brightness and sound levels, tweaking performance, etc. If the Ally expects you to do these things via Windows, you're gonna have a bad time.

old-parts

Yeah the Asus is confirmed to be running windows with a custom UI overlay and that is not a nice experience for a handheld.

What makes the difference with the Steam Deck is the software with green checked titles it behaves like a console, there is no settings to mess with, no control issues, for the most part games just install and run, no messing about.

Not even a mention of SteamOS as an option from Asus so MS kickbacks or some other hidden reason they are going with windows.

StereoVsn

Watched LTT preview. That external $2K dock is just stupid. They should have gone with USB4.

Also, only 1 USB C port is disappointing.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
That external $2K dock is just stupid. They should have gone with USB4.

Aside from the high price I don't see anything stupid with it. It provides a good hybrid solution. It makes me even more interested in buying this handheld, if it can transform into a desktop PC.

StereoVsn

Aside from the high price I don't see anything stupid with it. It provides a good hybrid solution. It makes me even more interested in buying this handheld, if it can transform into a desktop PC.
It's a stupid solution because a)It's $2K, b)It's proprietary and c)It's a mobile GPU.

And a $2K GPU dock for $650 handheld is insane.

StereoVsn

I am in the boat of loving this option even at $2k and super easy to upgrade to future GPUs?

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
It's not super easy. It's a proprietary laptop GPU dock. Will only be carried and supported by Asus.

If they went with normal external Thunderbolt or USB4 connector you could have a ton of different options.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's not super easy. It's a proprietary laptop GPU dock. Will only be carried and supported by Asus.

If they went with normal external Thunderbolt or USB4 connector you could have a ton of different options.
I didn't say we would have options they are going to provide us with their option so yes it will still be super easy just no other options

And likely more expensive but its also not targeting everyone its for people who have a little more money to spend

Tams

Looks good.

Only two back buttons though, despite them managing to put four on their new controller.

Tams

But they went with a semi- proprietry connection (it's OCuLink at the end of the day) because Thunderbolt and USB 4 full have too much overhead, causing you to not be able to take anywhere near full advantage of any eGPU.

Tams

It's a stupid solution because a)It's $2K, b)It's proprietary and c)It's a mobile GPU.

You do know that you can get cheaper older docks? That one is the third generation.

And hopefully ASUS release some lower end recent ones.

StereoVsn

But they went with a semi- proprietry connection (it's OCuLink at the end of the day) because Thunderbolt and USB 4 full have too much overhead, causing you to not be able to take anywhere near full advantage of any eGPU.
This is a handheld, you aren't going to take advantage of the eGPU anyways. Having multiple options at reasonable prices for this sort of a device would be an infinitely better choice, IMO.

The real reason Asus went this route was for extra $ to charge, IMO. Then again, it's my opinions and such, so YMMV.

Tams

This is a handheld, you aren't going to take advantage of the eGPU anyways. Having multiple options at reasonable prices for this sort of a device would be an infinitely better choice, IMO.

The real reason Asus went this route was for extra $ to charge, IMO. Then again, it's my opinions and such, so YMMV.
Hence why it is optional.

And you absolutely can take much closer to full advantage of an eGPU. The bottleneck in these handhelds is mostly the GPU, not the CPU.

You do know that the connector partly uses USB, which you can use as regular USB 3.2 port?

StereoVsn

Hence why it is optional.

And you absolutely can take much closer to full advantage of an eGPU. The bottleneck in these handhelds is mostly the GPU, not the CPU.

You do know that the connector partly uses USB, which you can use as regular USB 3.2 port?
Yes, thats the single USB-C port on the device which isn't USB4.0 enabled.

Proprietary connectivity brings with it much higher pricing and really at the end performance isn't going to be any better because they are using laptop GPUs in those docks.

Tams

Proprietary connectivity brings with it much higher pricing and really at the end performance isn't going to be any better because they are using laptop GPUs in those docks.

Semi-proprietary. Really, it's just a combo of USB and OCuLink. And as I said before, it reduces the overhead as it is a direct connection.

DaGwaphics

That was the craziest part of the presentation for me as well. Skip the $2k dock and just build a $2k computer for the living room and then use the handheld as a portable, probably have a significantly better CPU for the living room that way. But as a handheld device it seems like it will be a solid option. And if they ever make their EGPU cases compatible with this connection, maybe that might be more interesting.

Though I guess if you wanted a portable option that could easily connect to a bigger screen this combo would be a lot smaller than a gaming laptop and a traditional EGPU.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Semi-proprietary. Really, it's just a combo of USB and OCuLink. And as I said before, it reduces the overhead as it is a direct connection.
In theory the technology is pretty good. In practice the combination of price vs performance makes this useless. Again, they should have just made it a standard USB 4 / Thunderbolt dock and allowed people to use their own cards if they wanted to. Hell, better yet, have 2 USB C ports on the device, one regular USB C 3.2 and one USB 4.

Tams

In theory the technology is pretty good. In practice the combination of price vs performance makes this useless. Again, they should have just made it a standard USB 4 / Thunderbolt dock and allowed people to use their own cards if they wanted to. Hell, better yet, have 2 USB C ports on the device, one regular USB C 3.2 and one USB 4.

The issue is the overhead over even Thunderbolt and USB 4 is too great. How are those eGPU docks selling? Poorly, because you have to buy an expensive dock and an expensive GPU, only to lose 40%ish of its performance.

Drell

What does valve have against Norway?
Or does Norway hate Valve? lol
The same thing they have against switzerland I guess...
Imagine not officially selling your 1000+ € VR headset in a country where literally everyone is a millionaire...

StereoVsn

The issue is the overhead over even Thunderbolt and USB 4 is too great. How are those eGPU docks selling? Poorly, because you have to buy an expensive dock and an expensive GPU, only to lose 40%ish of its performance.
Sure, you will lose performance. Nobody should be putting in a 4090 or even a 4080 in there anyways.

However, even with Dock and GPU pricing it will still be significantly cheaper vs the proprietary option and will only keep getting cheaper with time.

You could get a 4070Ti (or 4070, 3080, etc), 7900xt (or 6000 series) add a dock and be at $1000 to $1200 vs $2000.

Topher

Gold Member

The point of the eGPU is play games on external screens. How is performance not going to be any better with a 4090 laptop gpu?

I don't like proprietary solutions either but here there really isn't a standard for connecting an eGPU to a device over PCIe. Sapping 15% of GPUs power using USB 4 isn't exactly ideal.

Thabass

its rumored the price will be competitive. PLEASE be less than 600 dollars. this looks like the deck plus, we need cheaper PC handhelds like this
oh yeah, and put them in walmart store shelves as well
I would love this price and may even get one if it hits it.
Guestimate (based on their Rog line of gaming phones and outline specs)
$649.99 with 512gb storage
(or $549.99 if they ape the Odin Lite pcb layout/battery/etc)
  • Better performance than the SteamDeck at native Ally resolution
  • Much better performance at 720p 60hrz (Steam Deck resolution)
  • Better "hand feel" based on the concept images leaked (imo)
Marketing jargon " something something Ally for your PC"
This seems to be a good price point. I'd buy it at this price point.

Top Bottom