• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ciuWT.jpg

rYDYJ.jpg

Official Website: http://www.facebook.com (lol)
Viral Marketing: http://www.thesocialnetwork-movie.com
Soundtrack: http://www.nullco.com/TSN
Theatrical Release Date: October 1st, 2010
Home Release Date: January 11th, 2010
Runtime: 120 min
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sexual content, drug and alcohol use and language

On a fall night in 2003, Harvard undergrad and computer programming genius Mark Zuckerberg sits down at his computer and heatedly begins working on a new idea. In a fury of blogging and programming, what begins in his dorm room soon becomes a global social network and a revolution in communication. A mere six years and 500 million friends later, Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in history... but for this entrepreneur, success leads to both personal and legal complications.

2smHb.jpg

Director: David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac, Se7en)
Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing, Charlie Wilson's War)
Original Score: Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (Nine Inch Nails, How To Destroy Angels)
Executive Producer: Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspect, American Beauty, Se7en)
Based on Ben Mezrich's book "The Accidental Billionire"

Jesse Eisenberg is Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
Justin Timberlake is Sean Parker, founding president of Facebook and co-creator of Napster.
Andrew Garfield is Eduardo Saverin, the Harvard business grad that co-created Facebook with Zuckerberg.
Armie Hammer is Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, founders of ConnectU, previously Harvery Connection.
Max Minghella is Divya Narendra, alongside Winklevoss twins, founder of ConnectU.
Rooney Mara is Erica, Mark Zuckerberg's girlfriend.

2nFhm.jpg

Tomatometer: 97% CERTIFIED FRESH!
Average Rating: 9.2/10
Critic Reviews: 165
Fresh: 160 | Rotten: 5 (Guess WHO?)

Award Nominations/Wins:

The film has received 126 awards from 214 nominations.Accolades include awards from The Academy Awards, The Golden Globe, BAFTA, Hollywood Foreign Press & Academy Awards for almost every category including Best Picture, Best Original Score, Best Screenplay, Best Actor and Best Director. Click to view the list of awards.

GgmIQ.jpg

Trailers/Promos:

Soundtrack

Release Date: September 28th, 2010
Digital Download: $5.00!!
CD: $8.00
Blu-ray HD: $20.00
Vinyl: $25.00

Purchase from NullCo.com includes immediate download of the full album in 320kbps MP3, FLAC AND Apple Lossless (Pick one or pick all, you decide!).

Tracklist:
1. Hand Covers Bruise
2. In Motion
3. A Familiar Taste
4. It Catches Up With Yo
5. Intriguing Possibilities
6. Painted Sun In Abstract
7. 3:14 Every Night
8. Pieces Form the Whole
9. Carbon Prevails
10. Eventually We Find Our Way
11. Penetration
12. In the Hall of the Mountain King
13. On We March
14. Magnetic
15. Almost Home
16. Hand Covers Bruise, Reprise
17. Complication With Optimistic Outcome
18. The Gentle Hum of Anxiety
19. Soft Trees Break the Fall

DVD/Blu-ray:

Disc One

Audio Commentary: Director David Fincher -- discusses the picture's tone, the casting process and the quality of the performances, "sexing up" parts of the movie, the importance of combining dramatic flair with realism to the movie, the special effects, and more. He does spend some time defending certain portions of the movie, and parts of the track feel like he's walking a tightrope, which isn't helped by the bleeping of cuss words in the commentary. A few gaps are present here and there, but overall this is a solid track that's a strong companion to a better film.

Audio Commentary: Writer Aaron Sorkin and the Cast -- including Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, Armie Hammer, and Josh Pence -- discuss Fincher's style, recount anecdotes from the set, speak on the quality of the score and how it relates to the themes and style of the movie, share personal insights into how they prepared to play the characters, offer their own positions on the story and themes represented in the film, and much more. This track works well on its own merits and makes for a strong companion piece to the director commentary; it, too, will satisfy fans wanting to glean more insight into The Social Network.

Disc Two

How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook? (1080p, 1:32:43): This four-part documentary -- sub-sections include Commencement, Boston, Los Angeles, and The Lot -- is assembled through cast and crew interview clips and candid behind-the-scenes footage. Viewers will be taken into the casting and rehearsal process where the characters and themes are fleshed out, invited onto locations for various segments of the shoot, given a look into prop and costume selection, and even provided with several glimpses into the nitty-gritty detailing that goes into crafting the perfect shot. Interview discussions include the work of Director David Fincher, the themes of the story, channeling the real characters the actors play while also adding their own personal flair and attributes into the parts, and much more. This is a strong, well-made documentary that's sure to please fans of the film and anyone who wants to get inside the filmmaking process. It's a better option than either commentary for viewers on a time crunch, but all three add plenty of value to The Social Network experience.

Jeff Cronenweth and David Fincher on the Visuals (1080p, 7:48): A discussion of how the visuals support the dialogue and allow it remain the face of the movie. The filmmakers discuss shooting digitally, the importance of lighting and mood, and character reinforcement through the film's visual scheme.

Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter, and Ren Klyce on Post (1080p, 17:24): A look at the process of completing the film once the shoot has concluded, taking 268 hours of footage and whittling it down to the best two hours to tell both a complete and cinematically engaging story. The piece looks at the editing process, sound design, and the importance of nuance in making a complete picture.

Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and David Fincher on the Score (1080p, 18:55): A quality piece that takes viewers into the studio for a look at the creation of the film's score.

In the Hall of the Mountain King: Music Exploration (1080p): This supplement allows listeners to compare an early, ultimately scrapped version of the music accompanying the Henley Regatta sequence alongside what would ultimately make it into the final cut of the film.

Swarmatron (1080p, 4:28): Trent Reznor introduces viewers to one of the unique instruments that played a critical role in the film's soundtrack.

Ruby Skye VIP Room: Multi-Angle Scene Breakdown (1080p): An interactive supplement that allows viewers to examine the creative process behind the creation of the Ruby Skye sequence. Viewers may watch the sequence broken into four separate stages -- rehearsal, interviews, tech scout, and principal photography -- or view them all at once in a composite, four-quadrant view.

Others/Interviews:

Interview with David Fincher and Trent Reznor: http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7862-trent-reznor-and-david-fincher/1
Production Notes: http://flash.sonypictures.com/video...rk/site/media/content/TSN_ProductionNotes.pdf
Mild spoilers: New York Film Festival Premiere Q&A: http://www.youtube.com/user/SocialNetworkMovie
1 hour audio interview with Trent Reznor on Soundtrack: http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/29...rent-reznor-on-the-social-network-soundtrack/
Mild spoilers: Sound editor Ren Kylce and mixer Michael Semanick talk about the sound design w/ video: http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/explore-the-excellent-sound-mixing-of-the-social-network
KROQ: Trent Reznor Talks Music, Inspiration, And ‘The Social Network’ (Audio and Text interview): http://kroq.radio.com/2010/09/30/tr...ation-and-the-social-network-with-kevin-bean/

XzApy.jpg

Special thanks to Expendable for maintaining the hype thread!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm so torn. The movie had fucking awful trailers, and, come on... it's a movie about the founding of Facebook.

But on the other hand, it is directed by Fincher and the reviews are through the roof.

I don't know what to do, GAF :(. I had no intention of seeing it, but the overwhelmingly positive critical response is making me change my mind...

GDJustin said:
I'm so torn. The movie had fucking awful trailers, and, come on... it's a movie about the founding of Facebook.

But on the other hand, it is directed by Fincher and the reviews are through the roof.

I don't know what to do, GAF :(. I had no intention of seeing it, but the overwhelmingly positive critical response is making me change my mind...

It's written by Aaron Sorkin, and it's the good Aaron Sorkin. Why is there even a debate?

Grifter

GDJustin said:

When a decision comes down to unanimous agreement vs. your gut, always go with your gut.

Koodo

Banned
Was not expecting this to have an ounce of quality. It's about facebook and has Justin Timberlake in it (bitch, where is your new CD?). I guess every once in a while a ~surprise~ occurs.

GDJustin said:

Don't see it. It's just a movie. Really, what are you missing? A movie about facebook.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Grifter said:
When a decision comes down to unanimous agreement vs. your gut, always go with your gut.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's written by Aaron Sorkin, and it's the good Aaron Sorkin. Why is there even a debate?

SnakeswithLasers said:
Don't see it. It's just a movie. Really, what are you missing? A movie about facebook.

Did you three see the trailers? Swap in two lines and they could be from a College Humor parody of a Facebook movie. "The site got 2,000 hits in its first day!" "Not 2,000... 20,000." *cringe*

I get it. The movie turned out great. The reviews are unanimous. I'm just very surprised, after seeing the marketing.

Anyone who found the trailer with the choral version of 'Creep' "fucking awful" is a terrible person and has no soul. Sorry, but it's true. :p

Inferno313 said:
Anyone who didn't find the trailer with the choral version of 'Creep' "fucking awful" is a terrible person and has no soul. Sorry, but it's true. :p

i hate cheesy covers like that

i want to hate this movie so bad.. i hate eisinberg's stupid face and the smug sorkin dialogue streaming from his mouth seems really annoying

rage

MoFuzz

Am interested in the soundtrack, $3 is a no brainer, but I might just wait for the official site's version in a couple of days and fork up the extra $2. I hate having to use some arbitrary piece of software just to download media.

Has anyone used Amazon Mp3 Downloader before? Anything malicious about it?

Madrin

I was looking forward to watching this go down in flames on Rotten Tomatoes, but now the reviews are so glowing that I actually want to see it.

GDJustin said:
Did you three see the trailers? Swap in two lines and they could be from a College Humor parody of a Facebook movie. "The site got 2,000 hits in its first day!" "Not 2,000... 20,000." *cringe*

I get it. The movie turned out great. The reviews are unanimous. I'm just very surprised, after seeing the marketing.
What. No, I don't think you should see it. I'm not seeing it. That wasn't sarcasm. =/

Also, the only reason the trailer with 'Creep' was good was because it had 'Creep' in it. Music is evocative...so good decision by the marketers. Doesn't make me want to see the movie though.

Edit: Oh, misread the thing about Creep. Nevermind. I've heard a ton of people say it's an amazing trailer--but it's just an amazing song.

That creep cover was pretty lame, but many here seem to like it. The weirdest thing about that trailer is that it seems super sped up.

They're all talking extremely fast. Like Far Cry 2 levels of fast.

GDJustin said:

Man, I totally disagree. I thought the trailers were fantastic, and the marketing campaign in general one of the best in recent memory. I'm a big Aaron Sorkin fan though, so go figure.

Fincher is the least exciting aspect of it for me... Se7en is awesome, Fight Club blew my mind when I was 15... what's he done for me lately?

notjackbauer said:
Man, I totally disagree. I thought the trailers were fantastic, and the marketing campaign in general one of the best in recent memory. I'm a big Aaron Sorkin fan though, so go figure.

Fincher is the least exciting aspect of it for me... Se7en is awesome, Fight Club blew my mind when I was 15... what's he done for me lately?

Uh Zodiac? Blows away his entire filmography. And yeah Se7en is awesome.

Maccas

Apparently something exceptionally uninteresting has been turned into an incredibly interesting movie. I'll definitely see it, even though David Fincher violated me through Benjamin Button.

Maccas said:
Apparently something exceptionally uninteresting has been turned into an incredibly interesting movie. I'll definitely see it, even though David Fincher violated me through Benjamin Button.

Violated how? It's a great movie.

It's a terrible movie. The reason why I was kinda skeptical of Fincher's next project, but it looks like he's got it locked for this one. Don't think he'll ever top Zodiac though, it's his masterpiece.

MoFuzz said:
Am interested in the soundtrack, $3 is a no brainer, but I might just wait for the official site's version in a couple of days and fork up the extra $2. I hate having to use some arbitrary piece of software just to download media.

Please tell me you aren't serious...

Just buy it. Hell buy it again if you want, it's pretty damn good.

And fuck the haters, this movie looks awesome. I loved the trailers, and seeing these reviews makes it all the better.

MoFuzz said:

Amazon MP3 Downloader is as safe as it can get. 320kbps and DRM Free. Buy it now!! :D

Ofcourse, there is one benefit for buying via official website: You get Apple Lossless and FLAC so if you're hardcore about it, buy it via nullco.com/tsn

parasight

It's such a bizarre mix. A rather uninspiring story, but a combination of excellent director, writer and cast seems to have given this film a big boost. I thought it would end up being a popcorn flick, but it looks like it's going to receive big critical praise. Can't wait to see it on Friday.

WrikaWrek

Banned
My problem with the whole movie, without seeing it, is that it's about Facebook. It's about characters i don't give a rats ass about, a story i couldn't care less...

Yet it's getting THOSE kind of reviews, so...i'm gonna have to check it out.

Wes

venison crêpe
Gone from sceptical yet vaguely interested due to Sorkin involvement to must see opening night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom